PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* 2008 Ouray Run Thread

Groucho
01-21-2008, 08:25 AM
The 2008 Ouray trip is scheduled for August 30th and 31st, 2008. On day one, we leave Ouray and drive over Black Bear Pass to Telluride where we usually have lunch in the park. Then we drive over Imogene Pass and down into Ouray. On day two, we usually drive over Engineer Pass to Lake City where we have lunch in the park then we return to Ouray over Cinnamon Pass.

Last year, we stayed in the 4J++ Campground in Ouray and some folks stayed at the Ampitheater Campground. We usually make it to the Ouray Hot Springs pool on Friday and Saturday afternoons.

Hope to see you there. Please post up if you plan to attend, and direct questions to Bruce Miller.

farnhamstj
01-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Our crew is in again this year. I think I'm staying out of Poukipsie gluch this year though. Last years loud popping noise cost me a couple $$$, you know 'cause the train was too expensive. We'll be bring twice baked potato's. For anyone that hasen't been before the potluck is as good as the wheeling.

Hulk
01-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Amphitheater Campground is wonderful -- highly recommended. Not sure if we'll make it this year -- need to talk to the Mrs.

RockRunner
01-29-2008, 10:16 AM
I have a question as far as timing goes. Does everybody leave on Sunday or Monday? Just trying to figure out the vaca time, I would think most people get there Friday and leave Sunday. If I remember correctly it is about a 4 hour drive, correct me if I am wrong please.

wesintl
01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Most people show friday sometime and most leave monday (labor day). If you can get or ouray in 4 hours, you're my new hero ;)

Hants
01-30-2008, 02:26 PM
The White clan will be there. :)

RockRunner
01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Most people show friday sometime and most leave monday (labor day). If you can get or ouray in 4 hours, you're my new hero ;)

Love to be somebodies hero but not if it kills me. So how long does it take??

wesintl
01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
I think it's around 6.. depends on what you drive. If you can go faster then 35 up the passes you'll have a leg up on the 40's :) I'm sure my time and subzali's differ from the runners and 80's

Corbet
01-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't have any problem getting there from Summit in 4 hours. So if your in a vehicle that can maintain HWY speeds add your time from that.

Bruce Miller
02-12-2008, 01:23 PM
From C470 and Highway 285, it's 267 miles to Ouray. At an average speed of 55mph, that's about 5 hours with no stops. This driving distance is over Cottonwood Pass, west of Buena Vista, down to Gunnison, 30 miles shorter than driving Monarch Pass. We usually drive to Ouray on Friday, wheel Saturday and Sunday, and drive home on Monday.

flexytoy
03-08-2008, 05:11 AM
I would like to go down there sometime this summer. Have never wheeled with you before but I would like to. Is it open to everyone, do I need to be a member? I have been wanting to hit black bear, como, poughkeepsie. It was fun meeting up with the group last year on Red Cone...

Beachboy
04-25-2008, 08:32 PM
We hope to be there again this year.

Beachboy
04-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Flexytoy.

This is not an official Rising Sun run, so I believe it is open to everyone. It is a great way to do some of the harder runs in San Juan's mountains. Its alot of fun.

Bruce Miller
05-05-2008, 10:03 PM
The Ouray trip is an official RS club run and has been for longer than we have been leading it, probably about the last 7 years or so. Anybody who wishes to make the trip has always been welcome to join us. This year, the wheeling will be on Saturday and Sunday of the Labor Day weekend. Most participants will drive to Ouray on Friday and drive home on Monday, Labor Day. Our Saturday wheeling will include driving over Black Bear Pass into Telluride where we have a picnic lunch in the city park, then over Imogene Pass and back to Ouray where we relax in the Ouray Hot Springs Pool.

Hope you will join us.

Uncle Ben
05-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Flexytoy.

This is not an official Rising Sun run, so I believe it is open to everyone. It is a great way to do some of the harder runs in San Juan's mountains. Its alot of fun.

Anybody is always welcome on a Rising Sun Run!

Beachboy
05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Sorry Bruce, I did not know it was an offical Rising Sun run.

11thcavdrt
05-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Hi all:

as far as i know i plan on attending this run, went 2 yrs. ago, great run,well
organized!!!!

4runner
05-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Just came over from the main ih8mud board. I'll be around that area as well during that time for about 3 days. I'll probable bump into you guys.

Chris
05-26-2008, 04:52 PM
It was a lot of fun last year, hoping to make it again this year.

Corbet
05-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Well now that we are moving to Durango we will probably make this run as it will be in our new back yard.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-26-2008, 08:30 PM
We may also try to Join.

I am doing it this summer with the FJ Summit group, as well.

ttubb
06-11-2008, 05:14 PM
We made it last year and had a blast. Count on us going this year. Terry and Jo Tubb:thumb:

Bruce Miller
06-27-2008, 01:58 PM
If you're planning on wheeling in Ouray during the RS club's Labor Day trip, now may be a good time to make campground reservations. The past two years, we've stayed at the 4J's Campground in Ouray. Their phone number is 970-325-4418. RV rates vary from $24-$28 for two people. Tent spaces run $22 for two people. Kids under 8 years are free. Also the Hot Springs pool costs $10, kids 2 and under are free. We usually soak in the hot springs pool after a day of wheeling.

4runner
06-28-2008, 01:22 PM
I'll be staying at the KOA from Thrus-Saturday, so I might bump into you all. Wouldn't mind running a trail with you all.

Bruce Miller
06-30-2008, 03:46 PM
You're welcome to join us. Our morning meeting place is the hot springs pool parking lot at 8:00AM. We head out at about 8:30AM.

For years, the group headquarters was the KOA Campground. Then one night, four years ago, a bunch of skunks had a knock down, drag out fight in the middle of camp. That's when we decided to try another campground. So far, we have not had a skunk (or other varmit) problem at the 4J's. ( I think all the skunks in Ouray County live at the KOA! ). Plus, the hot springs pool is a short walk from the 4J's. That's kind of nice, especially if one has had a few adult beverages.

bh4rnnr
07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Posted that I wanted to go, but forgot about one of my best friends(1st grade) wedding is that weekend:eek:.....

farnhamstj
07-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Just booked campsite #3. Very nice people there.

wesintl
07-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Hello everyone,

It's Chris form Pennsylvania. Some of you might remember me from the Triple Bypass Run in 06? Ben was great enough to give me a seat and I had an amazing time!

Anyway, I'm coming out to Denver again for work (CEDIA), and it looks like the dates might work out to join in on the Ouray fun. I'm supposed to be at work by noon on Sept 2nd so I'm good there.

If I fly into Denver on Thursday, would anyone be willing to drag my but along with them to Ouray? (Fri-Mon) I'd be willing to pitch in for gas. (not a small statement these days) It would only be fair as to rent a car and fuel it for 4 days is not cheap!

Anyway, because of work I'm missing Coal Mine Cruiser Classic and the East Coast Pig Run, so I think they owe me some time in the mountains right??? :D

let me know as I need to get my flights into work ASAP.

Thanks, and hope to hang out with everyone again!

Cell# 717 816 2795
thumprideb1200@yahoo.com

Anyone have a seat for chris? He needs to buy his plane tickets soon and would love to go.

I can't commit yet to the trip since It's less than a month to my wife due date.

billb596
07-23-2008, 10:11 PM
I have been looking at some post/pics regarding Black Bear. Will an 80 negotiate this run (switchbacks)?

Thanks in advance to those of your who have ran this in the past :bowdown: I am new to the 80 world.

farnhamstj
07-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes an 80 will negotiate Black Bear. There will be more 80's than all the other body styles put together.

Corbet
07-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Will an 80 negotiate this run (switchbacks)?

yep, even bone stock like mine was last year.

nakman
07-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Hey so is everyone staying at the 4J's then? Or ampitheatre? Are the two right next to each other? Having never been there, not sure why to choose one over the other. Is Emily going to be at 4J's? If so that's where Gavin will set up.. and we'll drag the popup, planning on Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights.

lx450landcrusier
07-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Well looks like ill be back in telluride around then so hopefully ill be able to make this run (its been a few years)

mike

thought id attach a few videos from a few years ago just before this fine run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBktoFvQ2ws

skip to the end of this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mvFhl5_HYw

MoGas
08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Which place is the one with the Tuff Sheds?

Groucho
08-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey so is everyone staying at the 4J's then? Or ampitheatre? Are the two right next to each other? Having never been there, not sure why to choose one over the other. Is Emily going to be at 4J's? If so that's where Gavin will set up.. and we'll drag the popup, planning on Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights.

We should be staying at 4Js. I haven't made reservations yet. Bad Groucho.

LiveRust
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Just got back from Ouray a couple days ago. We had 13 rigs there from the Wasatch Cruisers. What an awesome place!! Wish I was going again already. I ran Black Bear, Imogene, and Engineer. Several in the club have already did those more popular ones so they did other trails this time out. Take a jacket, it's cold at 13,000' :D

nakman
08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
We should be staying at 4Js. I haven't made reservations yet. Bad Groucho.

Ok I reserved a spot today...

edit: cool, free WiFi! http://www.coloradodirectory.com/4j11rvpark/ :ranger:

Groucho
08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
I have since reserved a spot. We'll have to ask for close spots, Nakman.

ttubb
08-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Is there a plan to have a pot luck this year? Jo and I are going to be in a hotel but we want to bring something if one is planned. I can also bring my alum folding table that we had at Middle Quartz last month. Terry

Kiowa Kate
08-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Dear Ouray Group,

I can't believe it is just one week away and I haven't said anything about a potluck. Yes, we should do a potluck again this year. I was thinking the best night would be Sunday. I haven't confirmed the use of the picnic area with the campground, but will do that. We will do it like last year, you supply the meat you and your family want, bring a dish to share and Bruce and I will provide the cooking fire. Just to let you all know, I will do several dutch oven desserts again this year. Will keep you posted on availability of the picnic area.

Terry, the table would be a great addition. We may or maynot need it but nice to have it just in case.

Look forward to seeing everyone there again this year.

Barbara

Kiowa Kate
08-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Just checked with the 4J+1+1+1 for the use of the community picnic spot and it is available for Sunday night. I have put our name on it.

4runner
08-23-2008, 11:35 PM
If you all are running Black Bear on Saturday I'll probable join you all and I'll be running the Alpine Loop on Friday.

Hants
08-24-2008, 11:33 AM
The White clan will NOT be there. :(

Too much traveling already this year, so we're just going to hunker down at home.

Y'all have a great trip!

cruiser60
08-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Hello All,

My names is James from Steamboat. I was looking join up with you all on the Ouray run.

What CB station do you guys run and where can i meet up with you at in Ouray?

For the potluck anyone against margaritas?

I be in a blue FJ60 with a NM plate.

James

Bruce Miller
08-24-2008, 04:18 PM
We usually start out on CB channel 4, or on 2 meter simplex at 146.46.

Here's who we think is going on the Ouray trip. Speak up if I missed you or if your plans have changed. Those going are:

James Cruiser 60
Bruce W. Jethro
Nathaniel
4runner
Nakman
Mike LX450
Mogas
Terry T.
Farnham
Bill B596
Beachboy
Doug Tebbe
Chris Front Range 4X4
Corbet

Remember, our meeting place on Saturday morning is the Hot Springs Pool parking lot at 7:45AM, leaving at 8:00AM sharp.

baileyfj40
08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Katie, myself and little brother will be making this GREAT trip.

Mike Koons
77 fj40 lifted locked ready
89 fj62 lifted locked ready
99 F350 the hauler
90 fastiva dd
KDoDHQ

4runner
08-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Two more days then I'm on the road. Woot!!:D

bruiser6082
08-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Couple of questions

is it too late to join in?

How difficult are these trails, any special equipment needed?

I have an 82 60 stock suspension with 33's

any info would be great.

Thanks!

Bruce Miller
08-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I think a stock cruiser in good mechanical condition with a capable driver will do fine on the trails we drive on the Ouray trip. I can't think of any "special equipment" you would need, just be sure you carry the stuff you may need to help yourself out of a jam. First aid kit, bottle jack or Hi-Lift, recovery strap, clevis, water, spare with air, CB radio or 2 meter VHF, etc. The trails aren't difficult but there are some spots where 100% of your focus has got to be on driving the trail. No horseplay or distractions of any kind. We'll probably put you in between a couple of well built trucks in case you need a tug or some assistance of some kind. No, it is not too late to join in.

We'll meet at the hot springs pool parking lot about 7:45AM on Saturday then leave at 8:00AM sharp and drive south on Highway 550 up Red Mountain Pass. The trailhead is just south of the summit on the right hand side of the highway. We will air down at this point then take off for Black Bear Pass. We usually have lunch in the park in Telluride then drive over Imogene Pass and back into Ouray and a dip in the hot springs pool.

I can't stress enough that a stock truck in good mechanical condition will do just fine. Key words are "good mechanical condition".

cjsutton
08-27-2008, 10:22 PM
I will be in Ouray for both days. I will be in a stock FJ40 on 31's. It will just be me and my teenage son.

This will be my first run with you guys, but I think this means I will finally be able to pay my dues and join Rising Sun in September.

Chris Sutton
Golden, Colorado

zornff
08-28-2008, 12:02 AM
We are going to be in the same general area, hoping to run Black Bear and Imogene on Saturday. We are going to come from the Creede side going over Stoney pass on Friday to Cinnamon pass to Silverton. We are driving our blue and white '78 fj55, and my buddy is driving his built mustard 40. Both set up with rtt's. If the fly fishing is good it may cause a delay getting to Silverton, But hopefully will get to see some other Cruisers on the trail. Have fun and be safe.
Mike

ttubb
08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
OK, who is coming over Cottonwood Pass tomorrow through Almont to get to Ouray? What time are you estimating Almont?
I am in Crested Butte and may hook up if the timing is right.
Also, is anyone else staying in the Best Western at Ouray? I gave my camping equipment to my son in KC so I have to hotel-it. Dinner plans for Friday night? Post up....:cheers: Terry

nakman
08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Terry we'll be driving out tomorrow but not sure what route- in my head we're driving over Monarch pass to Gunnison but I'm pretty easy, will be following Groucho. I'll keep one ear on simplex, the other on the Colorado Connection, we'll find ya.

Bruce Miller
08-28-2008, 05:02 PM
We are caravaning with Bruce Westlund (Jethro), leaving Longmont at 9:00AM tomorrow morning. We expect to get into Buena Vista around lunchtime. We should be heading up Cottonwood Pass around 1:00'ish, down into Almont, Gunnison, Montrose, then down to Ouray. Our plan is to listen to CB channel 4 but we'll probably be rag chewing on 2 meters simplex at 146.46. We'll keep an eye out for you. We have a truck camper and 2 80 series.

Groucho
08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Terry we'll be driving out tomorrow but not sure what route- in my head we're driving over Monarch pass to Gunnison but I'm pretty easy, will be following Groucho. I'll keep one ear on simplex, the other on the Colorado Connection, we'll find ya.

Correctamundo. 'Cept for the Monarch Pass thingy. Cottonwood is much more forgiving with the popup in tow. Plus, we timed it and saved about 1/2 hour going Cottonwood vs. using Monarch. Go figure. We'll be watching the simplex, 146.460MhZ and the connection, inbetween doing some HF stuff with my finally :yagi: installed Hi-Q 10M - 80M fully automatic tuning screwdriver antenna.

OK, who is coming over Cottonwood Pass tomorrow through Almont to get to Ouray? What time are you estimating Almont?
I am in Crested Butte and may hook up if the timing is right.
Also, is anyone else staying in the Best Western at Ouray? I gave my camping equipment to my son in KC so I have to hotel-it. Dinner plans for Friday night? Post up....:cheers: Terry

We will be going through Almont. I am assuming that we will be in Almont between 1 & 2pm. Terry, we were able to reach you on the 146.460 simplex freq from the top of Cottonwood pass during the Ghost Town Run, so if you can keep an ear peeled just after lunch, we'll hollar at you when we are going over the pass, all the way down the west side if need be. That way you know when to meet up with us in Almont. Savvy?

ttubb
08-28-2008, 06:15 PM
OK, I will plan on leaving my place about 1:00, which will put me in Almont about 1:30. Don't think I will hear you until south of Crested Butte as the mountain may block the signal at my house (I am north of CB proper).

I will have CB on channel 4 and 2m on 146.46 on and monitoring. TT