PDA

View Full Version : 55 leafs under a 40?

timmbuck2
01-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Just read for over an hour on MUD and even more confused.

The front axle on my pig is disc brakes, with some big beefy shackles and looks like stock leafs. The rear axle has a locker (!!) and ''upgraded" leafs and the same beefy shackles.

My 40 has stock open drum axles (for sale!) and stock springs.

Pics below.

Question...obviously the axles are going under the 40. The shackles are probably a bolt on. Good idea? The springs...very confused from MUD threads. Simple bolt on some say...need other bushings others say...need to flip...need to redrill...need to flip AND redrill. Hmm. Confused again. Or still. whatever.

Benefits of swapping the leafs over? opinions, thoughts, cries of derision, etc?

1st and last pic is the 55 beefy shackles. 2nd and 3rd are the 40.

Timm

nakman
01-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Is the only benefit of 55 springs longer wheelbase? Or do you get a softer ride somehow.. You can flip any spring (40 or 55) to move the axle back. You only need to redrill them if you care about which side the military wrap is on. Some will say it doesn't matter.. others may say that drilling actually causes more weakness and they may crack sooner. How big do you want your 40 to be?

SROR/AKA 2BAD
01-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Timm,
i've gone with 60 series rears front and back.
the rears are on if you want to check it out.

i had 55 springs but they were way to beat up and used,60 springs are newer (duh) and seem to be a better choice, more readily available.

my .02

jimm

nuclearlemon
01-21-2008, 04:12 PM
You can flip any spring (40 or 55) to move the axle back. ?

40/45 springs can be flipped, but 55 front springs have the pin in the center, so it's the same front to back.

nakman
01-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Ah so! :bowdown: