PDA

View Full Version : FJ Cruiser

Rzeppa
12-27-2005, 04:52 PM
I can't remember if the old FJ thread we had going was on the old forum and we can't get to it, or if it's just buried several pages back in the new forum.

So I started a new thread. This came through the LCML today:

FJ Cruiser Reviews (http://www.theautochannel.com/link.html?http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/)

The actual link goes to the auto channel, but there are then links to articles in Left Lane News and in Edmunds.com.

They make refernce to Alan Loshbaugh's September trip to the Rubicon with the FJ. New specs I haven't seen elsewhere include gear ratios (two different diff ratios, depending on whether auto or manual tranny), t-case is 2.6:1, overall crawl ratio on the manula version is about 42:1, not bad for "off the shelf".

Can't wait to see one at Moab. In fact, one of the articles said they are thinking about making a special "Moab" version, maybe like the way D-C made the "rubicon" version of the TJ.

Rzeppa
01-04-2006, 10:41 PM
This just came over the LCML today:

Hulk
01-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Those are pretty good prices. Five colors!

Rzeppa
01-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Here's another FJ Cruiser article that came over the LCML today:

MSNBC FJ Cruiser Review (http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4023691&src=News)

60wag
01-06-2006, 11:37 AM
From the above press release:

"Given the FJ's specs and solid, stable driving characteristics, there's no reason to doubt the Cruiser's ability to keep up with current SUVs geared for true off-road use, from Jeep, Hummer or even Land Rover."

Once again this shows that marketing is everything in the eyes of the comsumer.

Hulk
01-07-2006, 10:23 PM
From the LA Auto Show:

Hulk
01-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Looks like Jeep isn't sitting back waiting to be overtaken by Toyota. The new Jeep Wrangler was just announced (http://www.mph-online.com/web/prtranslated/00412). Those Rubicons are going to be even nicer (but I still want an FJ).

Rzeppa
01-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Looks like Jeep isn't sitting back waiting to be overtaken by Toyota. The new Jeep Wrangler was just announced (http://www.mph-online.com/web/prtranslated/00412). Those Rubicons are going to be even nicer (but I still want an FJ).They still use Dana 44s, and while they say they're "improved", logic would suggest that they're still the same diameter where they neck down at the inner splines (which is where Danas always break in the rear). And unless they upgraded the tranny, it will still be the same one which reportedly has about a 50k mile life expectancy before major repairs are required.

Even with the "upgrades" I predict that the FJ will kick the bajeezus out of the Rubicon Dangler.

60wag
01-11-2006, 04:16 PM
From the press release:

"Providing unmatched wheel articulation and durability, Jeep Wrangler X and Sahara models feature an enhanced Dana 30 front axle and Dana 35 rear axle. For the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon model - and optional with the trailer tow package on all models - heavy-duty front and rear axles are both Dana 44s, which feature numerous improvements. Providing significant underbody protection are three skid plates - protecting the fuel tank, transfer case and automatic transmission oil pan. "

I don't know much about dana axles but the 30/35s are considered crap are't they? The "heavy duty" option is 44s.

Also:

"The all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon model features an Off-Road Rock-Trac NV241 two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio, as well as electric front- and rear-axle lockers and 32-inch B.F. Goodrich Off-Road tires."

Were the earlier Rubicons electric or ARB lockers? The 4.0 tcase is nice.

wesintl
01-11-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't jeeps but for the most part that's all the same rubicon stuff. right?

I don't like the sloped grill. (unless it grows on me) same with the squared off hard top... :)

powderpig
01-11-2006, 04:31 PM
The early rubicons had a low pressure air locker form a japanese company. robbie

Rzeppa
01-11-2006, 04:56 PM
From the press release:

I don't know much about dana axles but the 30/35s are considered crap are't they? The "heavy duty" option is 44s.

Also:

"The all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon model features an Off-Road Rock-Trac NV241 two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio, as well as electric front- and rear-axle lockers and 32-inch B.F. Goodrich Off-Road tires."

Were the earlier Rubicons electric or ARB lockers? The 4.0 tcase is nice.That's correct, 30s and 35s break like toothpicks, which why I only even mentioned the 44s. Some say 44s are as strong as cruiser axles, but I've seen a number of them break where they neck down at the splines, only seen 2 Toy axles break: mine on my 7000 pound truck, and Cheeseman's from his runner.

I vaguely recall that the original Rubicon lockers were air operated, but were most definitely not ARB. Maybe they were electric, not sure. Maybe Dave can tell us tonight at the CM meeting. I believe the t-case was always 4:1. I believe the original Rubicons came with 31s, it may be they simply upped the rim size to 16.

FJBen
01-12-2006, 08:22 AM
All the rubicons came with 16" rims and the air lockers. They were kind cheesey lockers, I remember my friends sometimes would never lock in. The crawling was nice on them.

I recall they are still 5 on 4.5" wheels...

that dana 30 is marginal at best and the D35c is a total pos...

they were using quasi dana 44's up front...the necked down and used D30 outers...dunno if the new one is the same.

I highly doubt they have upped their quality on these...if you put a bow on turd, it's still a turd.

I really hope toyota will step up with the FJCruiser and build the soft-top model and Moab editions. All of these will sell this year and most likely a waiting list for next year as well.

Hulk
01-13-2006, 09:14 AM
I've seen a number of them break where they neck down at the splines, only seen 2 Toy axles break: mine on my 7000 pound truck, and Cheeseman's from his runner.

I broke a rear axle at Moab last year, although I still suspect that the damage was done at Spring Creek in 2004.

I've never broken a Jeep axle.*

*also, I've never wheeled a Jeep.

Rzeppa
01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Good point Matt, I had forgotten about yours. In any case, many people will argue that stock Toyota axles are as strong as or stronger than 44s, and I think everyone would agree that they are substantially stronger than 30s or 35s.

Red_Chili
01-16-2006, 01:48 PM
AFAIK, Toy axles and 44s are about equivalent. Both really need to be beefed up for real wheelin'. But I definitely like these new features about the FJ Cruiser!!!
•More Off-road Capability - Increased ground clearance, larger wheels and tires, enhanced Dana front and rear solid axles, available next-generation Command-Trac and Rock-Trac transfer cases, new electric axle lockers, and electronic disconnecting front sway bar
•More On-road Refinement - All-new 100 percent stiffer frame in bending, 2-inch longer wheelbase, 3.5-inch wider track, lower spring rates, advanced shock tuning, increased jounce and rebound travel
•More Interior Space and Comfort - 4.6 inches more hip and 5.1 inches more shoulder room combined with additional 2 inches in couple, 1 inch in rear-seat leg room and 2 inches behind rear seat
•More Open-air Options - Dozens of different door, top and windshield combinations; new three-piece modular hardtop and innovative Sunrider soft top

Oh... uh... guess that applies to the J**p.

Or... the Chili.

I wish Toyota would wake up.

Hulk
01-17-2006, 07:27 PM
From the Detroit Auto show:

Rzeppa
01-17-2006, 08:22 PM
The wheels look pretty cool. I wonder if the factory roof rack is going to have those cutouts for the aftermarket driving lights. It looks like another FJ in silver on the lower right. It also looks like ARB has their bull bar pretty much done. Any idea which winch that is (other than it's obviously not an 8274)?

Hulk
01-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah, that ARB bumper looks sweet. I wonder how many of these we'll see at Cruise Moab 2007? I bet there will be at least a few. The fact that you can buy an FJ for ~$23K puts it in the same price rance as an 80 series was in just a few years ago.

Red_Chili
01-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Yeah, they got the price right at least. Wouldn't be a bad starting point for a buildup. Wish the top was removable.

Beater
01-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah, they got the price right at least. Wouldn't be a bad starting point for a buildup. Wish the top was removable.

With the right tool, ANYTHING is removable..... :cool:

Hulk
01-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Some cool pictures...

Hulk
01-24-2006, 08:08 PM
A few more:

nakman
01-26-2006, 04:22 PM
In other news...

San Francisco Business Times - 1:27 PM PST Thursday
Toyota sales in Northern California up 10%
Toyota said on Wednesday it broke its Northern California vehicle sales records in 2005, moving 116,734 vehicles, a 10.1 percent increase from 2004.

Sales of the hybrid Prius increased 83.5 percent from one year ago, with 14,066 cars sold. Toyota also sold 1,451 Highlander SUV hybrids.

Bay Area Toyota sales reflect a nationwide increase in sales for the Japan-based car company. Nationwide, Toyota sold 1.95 million vehicles in 2005, an all-time high for Toyota in the United States and up 10.8 percent from 2004.

Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal

Hulk
02-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Ever wonder whether the FJ Cruiser is a Land Cruiser? Maybe Toyota can answer the question:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/images/DaddysEyes.jpg
I just did a screen cap from the Toyota FJ Bulletin (http://www.hypemakers.net/cruiser/go/c/29/s/557/u/556). I think that "Daddy's Eyes" line would not have been allowed if they didn't consider the FJ a Land Cruiser.
:cheers:

Rzeppa
02-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Looks like Marv and Kay Spector were at Oija, along with some of Marv's collection. The rockcrawling video from Big Bear was cool, but all the videos from the Rubicon were awesome! Thanks for posting that link!