PDA

View Full Version : Wiring poo poo...

Rezarf
01-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Well, if you read down a bit you can see at the last meeting I had officer friendly pull me over because my tail-lights were out and not working. They run with the interior lights fuse too, so no lights inside...

I am on my 7th fuse in the past few hours trying to track down the problem.

Can you guys (and gal :p:) help me out with diagnosing this thing? :rant:

Here is what I have done...

*checked all the wires in the dash (I recently removed a CD player) and I had a few wires on one circuit the tach and the radio.

*I took apart all the connectors and sprayed them with electric parts cleaner in the rear, I need to check the front parking lights too.

* I have pulled the rear lense and cleaned the sockets on the tail lamps, they have given problems in the past. But looked decent.

I am kinda at a loss, if I put in a new fuse and turn on the lights, I get maybe 1 second of lights then the fuse burns... :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

What should I be checking now? Any tips would be great, I am unsure how to start at one spot and begin to eliminate possibilities, can anyone helps with that? :bowdown:

Thanks! :thumb:

RicardoJM
01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't know how much help this is. I most recently experienced this when I wired a cigarette lighter power connector. My fuse was inline, but it would blow almost instantly when I powered up the radio connected to it. After blowing a couple of fuses, and asking the question similar to yours someone let me know that the center of cigarette plugs is the hot and hot always goes to red. Upon double checking, sure enough it turns out that as I crimped on the power pole connectors I put the black on hot wire and the red on the ground wire. Switched them around so they are correct and have had no issues since. Is is possible when you have done something similar recently on that circuit?

Rezarf
01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Anything is possible. I will double check, I did recently install a new cig lighter but I ran a new circuit for it.

Any other guesses?

Drew

treerootCO
01-21-2008, 04:14 PM
You have too much resistance, or no resistance at all. :p:

timmbuck2
01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
resistance is futile

Rezarf
01-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Figured it out, the PO had butchered the wires in the rear to wire in a flat 4 wire connector for a trailer... are exposed wires resting on the frame something to avoid? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, a little electic cleaner, scrubbing, dielectric grease and shrink wrap and I am good to go.

:thumb: Thanks! Sorry for the :rant: earlier, I hate wiring problems, I love to install new stuff, I hate tracking down problems.

Drew

Red_Chili
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
No worries. Suffering - it's good for the soul.

I know... what a stupid system! :hill:

wesintl
01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Nice you figgered that out! I hate electrical problems too although they almost always are simple fixes.

farnhamstj
01-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Nice you figgered that out! I hate electrical problems too although they almost always are simple fixes.
Never simple when you're the one trying to figure it out. Simple when someone else figures it out for you and you feel like an idiot. I often feel like an idiot.

Red_Chili
01-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Problems ALWAYS look simple in retrospect...
DAMHIK... :lmao: