PDA

View Full Version : monday nights @ 21:00

Pages : [1] 2

nakman
01-21-2008, 06:37 PM
145.145 to start :thumb:

Romer
01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I was wanting to, but the truck is outside and its doing a great impersonation of Minneapolis (Freakin cold brrrrrr)

RicardoJM
01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
If I can stay up that late, I'll be on. Due to FCC regulations I will be unable to give an accurate word for word run down of my road trip with Ige and Timm:eek:, but will do my best to relay the fun I had with them.

Uncle Ben
01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm gonna dink with the HT tonight. I did have the code messed up so now it should be set to 107.2.... So will it be Tightey Whiteys or Risey Suneys? :rolleyes:

nakman
01-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Ok I just came back inside since no one else was talking.. UB I'll give you a call in a few if I don't hear ya on the radio.

DaveInDenver
01-29-2008, 07:33 AM
KC0ZAF, KC0YRM, KC0ZAB, KC0ZIC (Ray, the fella who chatted on his VX-7R) and KD0CLY, good to hear you guys on the radio. UB, you especially were talkative! I think it might be handy to record one of those for the class as a teaching exercise. We didn't do anything particularly wrong, but I think a couple of things might be good to point out with these semi-impromptu nets.

Don't forget to ID your station periodically
Reference call signs and names sometimes, it's nice to hear other people call your call sign
Take turns talking
Leave a quiet second or two before talking

I think #3 and #4 are the things we need to work on, i.e. how the talking station gets the table. We had a great lively conversation, but only one person can talk at a time. So try to remember to work around, where the first station calls the next station to talk. Last night KC0ZAF got in first, so Tim should have been the default net controller (or really starter), passing the TX torch to Kevin and he'd pass it to me and I would pass it along, etc. There is no hard-fast rule, but getting in a rotation means we get less doubles. But the first station on had the best idea of who's on the net, so as it's getting going he should recognize the first few stations and get things rolling. Once we're in a rotation, then nets tend to keep rolling around.

The #4 thing, by leaving a short period before talking you give a breaking station the chance to announce his call sign and join in. Then the station with the floor should recognize the breaking station, just say his call sign and that you heard him, finish your thought and typically pass the control to him next. If you are the station that wants to join, just wait for a break, say your call sign and wait to be called. If you didn't hear who's all in the net, pass control back to the station that recognized you or just throw it back to the group and who's ever next should go ahead. If you listen you will hear a beep. This is called a repeater tail and it's purpose is to remind you to leave a brief pause to allow another station to break. That beep is usually about a second after the last station unkeyed his mic and that gives a period where no one is transmitting for you to break in. Get in the habit of waiting until the beep to key your mic, that's just a courteous thing to do.

Not trying to be all serious, just some pointers to keep everyone in the net. At some points the conversation become just two people, remember to say your thought and listen to other stations until it comes back around. Sometimes one station will have a specific question and that's perfectly fine. Break the rotation, ask your question and when the one-to-one topic is done, pass the net to someone who has not talked for a while. Imagine how we sit around for beers after a meeting. Picture asking the member next to you to talk and he passes the table to the next guy and so on. Same thing, just done on the radio.

Uncle Ben
01-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Great advice! I got carried away as it was fun to actually rag chew with someone I knew! I'm sorry....rookie mistake. I'm still laughing at myself for getting tongue tied on my phonic alphabet on my Y! I laughed hard about that one! I use the phonic alphabet all the time as I'm always relating names or something to someone on the phone that spelling is important. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I still cannot believe how clear Gray, KC0ZIC, cam across! He was hitting my mobile harder than even Nak did from his mobile! Obviously, he was close proximity to the repeater station!
I promise to take a chill pill next time! :rolleyes:

I plan on dinking with my mobile and HT and see if I can figure out the Cross Band repeat. Then I could fire a heck of a signal from the garage!

KC0ZAF, KC0YRM, KC0ZAB, KC0ZIC (Ray, the fella who chatted on his VX-7R) and KD0CLY, good to hear you guys on the radio. UB, you especially were talkative! I think it might be handy to record one of those for the class as a teaching exercise. We didn't do anything particularly wrong, but I think a couple of things might be good to point out with these semi-impromptu nets.

Don't forget to ID your station periodically
Reference call signs and names sometimes, it's nice to hear other people call your call sign
Take turns talking
Leave a quiet second or two before talking

I think #3 and #4 are the things we need to work on, i.e. how the talking station gets the table. We had a great lively conversation, but only one person can talk at a time. So try to remember to work around, where the first station calls the next station to talk. Last night KC0ZAF got in first, so Tim should have been the default net controller (or really starter), passing the TX torch to Kevin and he'd pass it to me and I would pass it along, etc. There is no hard-fast rule, but getting in a rotation means we get less doubles. But the first station on had the best idea of who's on the net, so as it's getting going he should recognize the first few stations and get things rolling. Once we're in a rotation, then nets tend to keep rolling around.

The #4 thing, by leaving a short period before talking you give a breaking station the chance to announce his call sign and join in. Then the station with the floor should recognize the breaking station, just say his call sign and that you heard him, finish your thought and typically pass the control to him next. If you are the station that wants to join, just wait for a break, say your call sign and wait to be called. If you didn't hear who's all in the net, pass control back to the station that recognized you or just throw it back to the group and who's ever next should go ahead. If you listen you will hear a beep. This is called a repeater tail and it's purpose is to remind you to leave a brief pause to allow another station to break. That beep is usually about a second after the last station unkeyed his mic and that gives a period where no one is transmitting for you to break in.

Not trying to be all serious, just some pointers to keep everyone in the net. At some points the conversation become just two people, remember to say your thought and listen to other stations until it comes back around. Sometimes one station will have a specific question and that's perfectly fine. Break the rotation, ask your question and when the one-to-one topic is done, pass the net to someone who has not talked for a while. Imagine how we sit around for beers after a meeting. Picture asking the member next to you to talk and he passes the table to the next guy and so on. Same thing, just done on the radio.

Shark Bait
01-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks Dave. Were you on? I missed you. Probably wasn't paying close enough attention. :o Protocol/manners are important. I'm probably a little over eager myself, still.

Kevin was asking, here is the original article I used on building a J-pole (http://www.qsl.net/wb3gck/jpole.htm) antenna. I've got a bunch of twin lead if anyone wants some.

DaveInDenver
01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks Dave. Were you on? I missed you. Probably wasn't paying close enough attention. Protocol/manners are important. I'm probably a little over eager myself, still.
Yeah, I was on early and get in a few transmissions when you got in, but I was also on my handheld and the batteries were weak. I was inside the house with the rubber ducky, to get in I had to use 5W and I forgot to charge the radio. I heard you guys for a while, but by about 2145 I couldn't break the repeater well enough.
Great advice! I got carried away as it was fun to actually rag chew with someone I knew! I'm sorry....rookie mistake. I'm still laughing at myself for getting tongue tied on my phonic alphabet on my Y! I laughed hard about that one! I use the phonic alphabet all the time as I'm always relating names or something to someone on the phone that spelling is important. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

No problem Kevin, it's good to be excited! Certainly don't be sorry for keying up the mic and talking! Your enthusiasm I think kept the net moving, that was cool. Not much dead air, that's for sure. It's just about taking a breath and keeping all the stations in the rotation. Just wanted to make the point so that all of us can think about our operating practices. You are still thinking like a simplex CB user and so repeater operation is sort of new. Gotta just remember that there could be 5 or 10 stations trying to use the repeater and just need to leave time for people to get in.

I still cannot believe how clear Gray, KC0ZIC, cam across! He was hitting my mobile harder than even Nak did from his mobile! Obviously, he was close proximity to the repeater station!

I had his name as Ray, but that's the down side of an HT, the relatively crappy speaker.

A--Alfa “AL-FAH”
B--Bravo “BRAH-VOH”
C--Charlie “CHAR-LEE” or “SHAR-LEE”
D--Delta “DELL-TAH”
E--Echo “ECK-OH”
F--Foxtrot “FOKS-TROT”
G--Golf “GOLF”
H--Hotel “HOH-TELL”
I--India “IN-DEE-AH”
J--Juliett “JEW-LEE-ETT”
K--Kilo “KEE-LOH”
L--Lima “LEE-MAH”
M--Mike “MIKE”
N--November “NO-VEM-BER”
O--Oscar “OSS-CAH”
P--Papa “PAH-PAH”
Q--Quebec “KEH-BECK”
R--Romeo “ROW-ME-OH”
S--Sierra “SEE-AIR-RAH”
T--Tango “TANG-GO”
U--Uniform “YOU-NEE-FORM” or “OO-NEE-FORM”
V--Victor “VIK-TAH”
W--Whiskey “WISS-KEY”
X--X-ray “ECKS-RAY”
Y--Yankee “YANG-KEY”
Z--Zulu “ZOO-LOO”

0 - “ZEE-RO”
1 - “WUN”
2 - “TOO”
3 - “TH-UH-REE” or “TREE”
4 - “FOW-ER”
5 - “FI-IV” or “FIFE”
6 - “SIX”
7 - “SEV-EN”
8 - “ATE” or “A-IT”
9 - “NIN-ER”

Uncle Ben
01-29-2008, 08:44 AM
No problem Kevin, it's good to be excited! Certainly don't be sorry for keying up the mic and talking! Your enthusiasm I think kept the net moving, that was cool. Not much dead air, that's for sure. It's just about taking a breath and keeping all the stations in the rotation. Just wanted to make the point so that all of us can think about our operating practices. You are still thinking like a simplex CB user and so repeater operation is sort of new. Gotta just remember that there could be 5 or 10 stations trying to use the repeater and just need to leave time for people to get in.

I had his name as Ray, but that's the down side of an HT, the relatively crappy speaker.

He stated his "handle" was "Golf Romeo Alpha Yankee" earlier when Chris asked him initially for his call sign. I found that pretty CBish!

DaveInDenver
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
He stated his "handle" was "Golf Romeo Alpha Yankee" earlier when Chris asked him initially for his call sign. I found that pretty CBish!
See, there you go. Gray it is. What did you find CBish, the 'handle' part? I've noticed that is what people call it when they say their name, not sure where it comes from and I've wondered about that.

Groucho
01-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Boy, I sure am sorry I missed monday night! Sounds like things were crazy.

UB, keep your enthusiasm level up and remember, most long and short time HAM's are all really nice people who understand the "newbie" thing. They all have been there, and that's a big part of what the hobby is about, helping the new guy. One of the biggest points that I will try and encourage on the air and during the class is--excercise some humility and you will bring the good natured spirit out of just about any HAM. The HAM community is so diverse and broad that no one can be expected to know all the different quirks of each little niche. Each repeater has different "gentleman's rules". No two are exactly the same. Just ask for suggestions and in no time flat you will sound like you've been working folks on that repeater for years.

Handle has always been used in HAM stuff as far as I can remember. When working HF, I remember the QSO(an conversation exchange between two HAM operators) always containing things like:
"Fine business, Sergio. The handle here is Nathaniel, and my QTH(Location) is Arvada, Colorado."
"Roger, Roger, Nathaniel. You are 5-9 into Madrid, Spain, QSL?(Aknowledge receipt--Did you get that?)"
"QSL, Sergio, you are also 5-9."

From one place on origins of HAM speak, here is what they say for Handle:
The term handle is an old slang term for name that goes back to the cowboys of the Old West. Telegraphers picked it up and the ham radio operators got it from them. CB operators copied the hams. For Hams it can be either the operators first name or a nickname such as Sparks or Rusty. CB'ers often use an alias such as "Three Dawg" or "Jethro"

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 07:44 AM
A little out of place but relevant to this thread. KD0CAW informed me last night
that KD0CLY is no longer a valid call. My new call is K0UBN! I hadn't checked in a while......I applied for this back in December! Thank you Ricardo! K0UBN clear and monitoring.... ;) :cool:

nakman
02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
That's sweet UB, can you post up the link for where you applied for the vanity call sign? maybe K0NAK is available, or something similar.. :cool:

Red_Chili
02-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I wonder if I might get K0RCHLI... hmmm... :lmao:

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
That's sweet UB, can you post up the link for where you applied for the vanity call sign? maybe K0NAK is available, or something similar.. :cool:

Sure. http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/vanity.html

The form is tricky. It seems fairly easy but if the i's aren't dotted and the t's crossed....you know the drill.

Red Chili, It will have to be a 1x3 or 2x3 ....do your homework off the link I posted. I stuck with K0 as its an area identifier and that works for me. Quote: "General, Technician or Technician Plus class licensees can seek a 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)--FCC call sign Groups C or D."

Yo Nak.....:thumb::thumb:

Groucho
02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Remember guys, USA call signs start with either K, W, N, or A. Most of the time vanity calls were used to maximize the ease of sending the call using morse code. For example:

My FCC issued call was KC0TXK, which in morse code was
da-di-dah, dah-di-da-dit, da-da-da-da-dah, dah, da-di-di-dah, da-di-dah.

My vanity call W0IIN in morse code is
di-da-dah, da-da-da-da-dah, di-dit, di-dit, da-dit

If I were to have gotten my grandfathers last call of W0DW(Instead of Bruce getting it) the morse code for that is
di-da-dah, da-da-da-da-dah, da-di-dit, di-da-dah.
Both much easier to send in morse code than the K call.

Now it is just for vanity purposes.

K & W are available to all amateurs with a technician class license. N used to signify "Novice" class, which is no longer used. Grandfathered Novice class licensees may renew their N callsign as long as they like, and there may be some N callsigns available.

First, the FCC does not limit the Vanity call sign choice numeral (0-9). For example, you can be a W1-land addressee(Northeast area), and have a W6 (California) type call if you so desire.

Also, aside from a very few FCC-limited choices, Extra class licensees can choose pretty much any vacant but valid US call sign--FCC call sign Groups A, B, C or D.

Although Advanced class licensees cannot seek the special 1x2, 2x1 or 2x2 (beginning with letter "A") Extra class type call signs, they can seek a 2x2 or 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or a 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)--FCC call sign Groups B, C or D.

General, Technician or Technician Plus class licensees can seek a 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)--FCC call sign Groups C or D.

Novice licensees also have access to the Vanity program. Novices can seek a 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W) of their choice--FCC call sign Group D.

Just as a reminder, Novice, Advanced and Technician Plus are no longer license classes used. Only those licensed amateurs who are grandfathered into those classes may renew and continue to hold those license classes.

Red_Chili
02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
So it looks like I'd have to try for KRCH when the time comes. K0RCH is some guy in Minnesocold. :bawl:

:lmao:

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Nothing in database for K0HLK
Nothing in database for K0ARM
Nothing in database for K0SOR or K0SLE
Nothing in database for K0RBI or K0PPG
Nothing in database for K0RDO
Nothing in database for K0NRB (K0SSN is taken)
Nothing in database for K0ROM (K0RMR is taken)
Nothing in database for K0ODR (K0ROD is taken), K0DOR is available....

nakman
02-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Cool, thanks. I will have to check into this on Sunday some time, which is the next time I'll be at a computer w/o a firewall.. :rant:

but hopefully I can find an N callsign that I can live with. No one steal n0kmn, ok? :)

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Cool, thanks. I will have to check into this on Sunday some time, which is the next time I'll be at a computer w/o a firewall.. :rant:

but hopefully I can find an N callsign that I can live with. No one steal n0kmn, ok? :)

Sorry nak.....

<<This is public license data from the FCC database.
Find out how to change this information.

To view or change your ARRL member information go to the Member Data Page

SXXXXXXD, LORI D, N0KMN (Tech Plus)
XXXXX xxST
XXXXXXX, ND XXXXX
Issue Date: Jan 11, 1999
Expire Date: Jan 11, 2009
Date of last Change: Jan 11, 1999 >>

Groucho
02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
So it looks like I'd have to try for KRCH when the time comes. K0RCH is some guy in Minnesocold. :bawl:

Bill,

You need the number designator.

These aren't taken:
KB0RCH
KD0RCH

Information regarding Call Signs--
Every licensed Radio Amateur is given a call sign that is used to identify you and your location of license. Each country that has Amateur Radio status is allocated a range of call signs by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU).

Prefix and Suffix--
Call signs consist of a prefix and a suffix. The prefix is usually composed of one or two letters and a number such as VE4 in Canada for the province of Manitoba or K9 in the U.S. for the states Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin. Some countries have prefixes that are composed of a number and a letter such as 4X for Israel or 9K for Kuwait. If this sounds confusing, for the first timer it is. After doing it a while, they rattle off like Dr. Seuss.

While the prefix uniquely identifies a country the suffix is unique for the individual. In Canada a call sign such as VE3ABC has VE3 (Ontario) as the prefix and ABC as the suffix. In the U.S the call sign N2MG has a prefix of N2 and suffix of MG. U.S. hams may also have a two letter prefix thus AB2Z is a valid call. Suffixes may also be less than three letters so you have call signs such as VE7AB in British Columbia and KH6Y in Hawaii.

Call Areas--
In North America the number in the call sign generally refers to an area of the country. The 3 in VE3 refers to Ontario and the 6 in K6 refers to California. The number may be shared between states in the U.S. so that 1 as in K1 or W1 can refer to the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. Usually in Canada the number refers to a single province although VE1 can refer to the Maritime provinces New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.
Other countries follow a similar practice so you can have states in Brazil and Prefectures in Japan.

U.S. Prefixes--
Prefixes used by Amateurs in the United States are shown in the following table. U.S. Radio Amateurs may have either a single letter or two letters in the prefix. See the two letter allocations at the bottom of the table. The single letter prefixes K, and N are also in use by U.S. Amateurs. To further complicate matters Amateurs that have moved to a different area of the country may retain their existing call sign so when you hear W8ABC you may be receiving a signal from other than the W8 states.

Call Sign Prefix--State
W0-- Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota
W1-- Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
W2-- New Jersey, New York
W3-- Delaware, D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania
W4-- Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia
W5-- Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
W6-- California
W7-- Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Wyoming
W8-- Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia
W9-- Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin
AL0-7, KL0-7, NL0-7, WL0-7-- Alaska
AH6-7, KH6-7, NH6-7, WH6-7-- Hawaii

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional U.S. prefixes

A, AA - AK K, KA - KK
KM - KW
KX - KZ
N, NA - NK
NM - NW
NX - NZ
WA - WK
WM - WO
WQ - WW
WX - WZ

nakman
02-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Ok I'm going to grab a :beer: and head out to the garage, in case anyone else is around. :)

Hulk
03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Good ragchew tonight. Great talking to Heather! Also, Chris, Brian, Nathaniel and Ricardo.

Romer
03-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Should be a few more folks tonight.

You going to chime in Ige?

Shark Bait
03-10-2008, 05:30 PM
I am in DC this week, otherwise I would join you guys.

nakman
03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Did anyone else jump over to simplex last night and monitor Nathaniel & I? I sure didn't hear anyone.. other than W0IIN who was coming in nice and clear. Want to try this again for sure, it really worked well from up on the hill though I bet I could hit most of you guys now.

Uncle Ben
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Did anyone else jump over to simplex last night and monitor Nathaniel & I? I sure didn't hear anyone.. other than W0IIN who was coming in nice and clear. Want to try this again for sure, it really worked well from up on the hill though I bet I could hit most of you guys now.

I clicked on the HT around 21:30 ish. Listened for a while while I mildly tinkered in the garage and the air was quiet on the 145. Went in about 22:30. My mobile is down for a short time as I'm redoing the rear area.

DaveInDenver
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I did, but not so much as a peep from W0IIN. I heard you pretty good, S6-S7. I had the HT with the SRH77CA on it, which is a pretty decent antenna. I didn't want to interfere with W0IIN since I could not hear anything, didn't even break the squelch with noise, and so I didn't try TX'ing to see if you could hear me.

I should say that 145.145 was pretty clustered last night. Frank and someone else were having a QSO when Rising Sun hams started showing up. We do not have a set net time on 145.145 since we are not paying members of the CRA and so we do not have any rights to the repeater and have to be careful about listening for a while before starting to talk. I had a bit of a feeling that we ran off the guys already using the repeater. Need to make sure to practice good operating techniques! Listen for a while, wait for a break and ask if you can use the repeater. If they are nice and say sure, all is good. Otherwise ask if you can make an announcement to move your group to a different frequency. Last night both 146.805 and 147.225 were quiet at 2100 and we could have moved our ragchew there as a courtesy.

nakman
03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Frank and that other guy were bouncing around just about everywhere all night. I heard them at about 7:45 when I started monitoring 145.. all was quiet until about 8:30 so I announced my call sign then then Convert piped up and he & I talked for about 20 minutes uninterrupted. So if they jumped back in just before 9 they were probably making their rounds again, but I don't feel like we were interrupting their QSO.

Agreed, though, that best practice is to listen first. But if I'm going to learn any etiquette it's going to be from folks like you, Nathaniel, and Ricardo, not these guys..

edit: And Dave, as you know we typically leave long breaks so next time by all means jump in. Nathaniel maybe you should have turned up the power a bit, and maybe I should have turned down? I'll have to go see what I'm at, was probably all the way up on 50 watts though since I needed that to reach Matt before the last RS meeting.

DaveInDenver
03-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Definitely, I never thought the fellas using the repeater really seemed to be in the middle of anything. They were on simplex, back to the repeater, down on HF, off the air taking care of a cat. I don't feel bad for trying to use the repeater. Just pointing out that the Rising Sun Radio Hour is not an officially recognized net on the CRA and so we can't monopolize their repeater if two members are ragchewing. They have every right to say no and keep using it if they want and we just should ask and be courteous.

Sitting inside with an HT all the way across town, kind of unlikely that I was gonna hear Nathaniel and I was just too lazy to go outside and try in the truck. I could hear your half of the conversation and thought about timing it and seeing if you could hear me, but I just went to bed instead.

RicardoJM
03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
I was a bit unsure of how best to proceed last night. On the one hand, not know who form RS was arriving late, if we moved to another freq the late arrivers may not have found us. On the other hand, I agree wholeheartedly with Dave's comments regarding our "priority" and use of the repeater.

That said, it seemed that Frank and the group were not at all put out and the Rising Sun Group was very open to letting the others use the repeater. I guess the only odd part was the very different nature of the group conversations.

Perhaps our learning lesson from last night is to have a plan for when 145.145 is in use, and post that plan here so that all would know the primary and alternate frequencies for Monday nights at 9:00.

How about this for a start?
145.145 primary repeater
147.225 secondary repeater

Groucho
03-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Definitely, I never thought the fellas using the repeater really seemed to be in the middle of anything. They were on simplex, back to the repeater, down on HF, off the air taking care of a cat. I don't feel bad for trying to use the repeater. Just pointing out that the Rising Sun Radio Hour is not an officially recognized net on the CRA and so we can't monopolize their repeater if two members are ragchewing. They have every right to say no and keep using it if they want and we just should ask and be courteous.

Sitting inside with an HT all the way across town, kind of unlikely that I was gonna hear Nathaniel and I was just too lazy to go outside and try in the truck. I could hear your half of the conversation and thought about timing it and seeing if you could hear me, but I just went to bed instead.

I always use my homemade beam FM VHF 2M antenna at home. It is pointed to Squaw Mtn, so if you are in the 'ranch area of town, you would have been on my nulls. I am also kinda in a hole, too, so my signal probably will be driven higher toward the atmosphere before lower toward the ground. I use my Yaesu FT-2800M that used to be my 80's radio in the house hooke to the kenwood powersupply I use for my Kenwood HF rig. It has 14.1 volts at 30 amps continuous. That coupled with my 2M beam (homemade from $5 worth of 1.250" PVC pipe and a couple of welding rods) gives me about 7dB gain in the forward direction. I built that antena for use on the 14'er event, where lightweight and portability were essential. It was just as easy to quick clamp it to the chimney and use it for a temp base station. Cool thing is that from the street, the white PVC makes it look like the trees behind it.

I was a bit unsure of how best to proceed last night. On the one hand, not know who form RS was arriving late, if we moved to another freq the late arrivers may not have found us. On the other hand, I agree wholeheartedly with Dave's comments regarding our "priority" and use of the repeater.

That said, it seemed that Frank and the group were not at all put out and the Rising Sun Group was very open to letting the others use the repeater. I guess the only odd part was the very different nature of the group conversations.

Perhaps our learning lesson from last night is to have a plan for when 145.145 is in use, and post that plan here so that all would know the primary and alternate frequencies for Monday nights at 9:00.

How about this for a start?
145.145 primary repeater
147.225 secondary repeater

Previously, we had kinda met on 145.145 as an informal starting place, and had the 145.340 as a backup. If those two were in use, we would go to the Colorado Connections repeater at 145.310 to figure out where we would try next.
My opinion is that we handled ourselves well when we went on. I listened for at least 5 minutes before I put out my callsign. We aren't holding a formal "net", so scheduling is unecessary. I usually don't worry about the 145 machine since I emailed LJ (K0AXE) and he told me that as long as we aren't rude if someone wants to use the repeater, and leave long breaks, no one will care. The CRA assumes that the 145 machine will be a rag machine, and the culture surrounding that machine is much more loosey-goosey.
That doesn't excuse us from being good and neighborly operators.
If we want to arrange a formal net (not really something I think we need to do) then we need to become members of a repeater club and schedule a net. Only drawback is the dues. And they aren't that much. IIRC, the CRA is $20 a year. I think if we keep in mind to be hospitable, we will do just fine.

We can re-post a plan for monday nights, we just gotta make sure Romer has the frequency and tone in big numbers so he has it programmed in beforehand. :D

Romer
03-11-2008, 09:26 PM
we just gotta make sure Romer has the frequency and tone in big numbers so he has it programmed in beforehand. :D

braile too please.

The VX-7r is programmed so I just got to find it.

Red_Chili
03-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Bill,

You need the number designator.

These aren't taken:
KB0RCH
KD0RCH

So just exactly how do I apply for a vanity call sign? Can't figger it out.

Uncle Ben
03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
So just exactly how do I apply for a vanity call sign? Can't figger it out.

Start here. (http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/vanity.html)

DaveInDenver
03-12-2008, 01:45 PM
UB had a typo, got it fixed.
Start here: http://www.starbucks.com/
Actually, I think KH1LI would be cool and don't let Kevin know I said so, but K0UBN is neat, too.

Red_Chili
03-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Start here. (http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/vanity.html)
I tried logging in to the FCC using my call sign, but it is associated with an FRN to which I do not know the password. I created a new FRN but can't reassociate the call sign to it (it is linked to the original FRN). :confused:

nuclearlemon
03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
I tried logging in to the FCC using my call sign, but it is associated with an FRN to which I do not know the password. I created a new FRN but can't reassociate the call sign to it (it is linked to the original FRN). :confused:

yep.

i wouldn't mind kdoige, but no $, so frivalties have to go.

Hulk
03-12-2008, 05:18 PM
You'll get your FRN and password in the mail soon, direct from the FCC. Patience, grasshoppers.

Red_Chili
03-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Chirp. Chirpchirp.

Done. Duh.

nakman
03-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Well it was cold and lonely out there, so I came back in the house. :(

DaveInDenver
03-18-2008, 05:50 AM
I really need to set an alarm for stuff. Or maybe just get a clock. Got wrapped up in what I as doing and completely forgot about it.

Uncle Ben
03-18-2008, 07:34 AM
I forgetst.....:rolleyes:

Shark Bait
03-18-2008, 07:46 AM
I am in Vincennes (BF) Indiana. :(

Seldom Seen
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
How about meeting on the Colorado Connection tonight (145.310*)??? My reasoning is this:

1) Better coverage for the Northsiders who are on a HT or in the hole around Boulder.

2) Hants can join in on the CoSpgs machine (145.130*) and Corbet can use the Breck machine (146.790*)

3) Last but not least no tighty whities :rolleyes:

*PL tone for all ColoConn repeaters is 123.0

If the out-of-towners don't show up we can QSY

nakman
03-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Sounds cool to me, at least for a bit. I'll be on simplex too if anyone wants to try a little more propogation.. ;)

Romer
03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey, I spent a week in close spaces with you, thats about as close to prpagation as your going to get

JadeRunner
03-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Well I didn't get my new Yeasu 7800 installed this weekend on account of realitives staying the weekend. It will be another week or so now. The family and I are going to Sarasota Florida this week.

At least I have my antenea mounted and everything else needed to complete my install.

Mendocino
03-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Woohoo! First QSO; thanks Brian, you were my first:rolleyes:. It was good to have a short ragchew with you too Ige. Next, I will figure out the IRLP.:cool:

nakman
03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I was on right at 9 but no one else was around, so I went back in the house for a bit. Came back out at 9:30 to hear Tramontana & Brian talking.. then YRM & I QSY'd over to .460 for some hot simplex action.. I was transmitting at 1 watt and he was at 5.. came through fine as good as any CB conversation could have been. Except that I think you live about 30 miles away from me :) It's cool being almost 3000' above the city, I can hit all y'all..

Romer
03-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry guys, I was watching I am Legend with Sarah and of course we watched the one with a different ending.

Seldom Seen
03-24-2008, 10:09 PM
..... Next, I will figure out the IRLP.:cool:

Good place to start :thumb: (http://www.wa2yzt.com/WA2YZT/IRLP%20Explained.html)

Shark Bait
03-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I am in Portland this week. :(

Seldom Seen
03-24-2008, 11:01 PM
.. then YRM & I QSY'd over to .460 for some hot simplex action..

Whoops,,Our Bad. For you nOObies, when we "QSY simplex" or "QSY 460" means we are changing freq to 146.460 and talking without using the repeater. If you are on a mobile you can change freq and QRO (increase power) and still maintain contact. If your on a HT you're probably SOL, but try it anyway, you might be surprised. I hope we didn't come off as rude by leaving everyone in the dust and I didn't think about till Tim posted this up.

So...till next week....we'll start on 145.310 and see if Corbet and Hants join in, if not we'll move to a local machine and take it from there. If your using a HT, whip up a twin lead "J" pole so when we go simplex you can hang in with the group.

Mendocino
03-25-2008, 06:08 AM
When you QSY'd you did not mention the frequency. I followed the rest.

Tanglefoot
03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Hey guys,

I'm new to the board and was hoping to meet up with you last night. Are you not starting on 145.145 anymore? I listened there for about 10 minutes. Maybe I just missed you.

Ah....just read the last post. So you start on 145.31. I guess I did hear you all then....just didn't know it was you. I'll try for next week.

Thanks,

Eric/KG0YS

Red_Chili
03-25-2008, 08:46 AM
I'll have to see if I can hang witch youse next week too. Mebbe my vanity callsign will be active by then? I got a QA call from the FCC within a week, but no flippin' the sign yet.

nuclearlemon
03-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Woohoo! First QSO; thanks Brian, you were my first:rolleyes:. It was good to have a short ragchew with you too Ige. Next, I will figure out the IRLP.:cool:

did my radio sound ok?

nakman
03-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Guys, sorry we didn't make the 146.460 more clear last night, I wrongly assumed that was obvious. That frequency is, for you newer Ham guys, the official Rising Sun simplex channel, which we shamelessly stole from the Norcal 80's.. ;) Of course it's completely unofficial as far as the FCC is concerned, it's just a number on the dial that we all agreed to switch to (yes a lot like #4 on the citizen band).

Bill if you want to try out that rig of yours some other evening just post up, doesn't have to be a Monday man.. :)

Mendocino
03-25-2008, 03:24 PM
did my radio sound ok?

Your signal stength was loow and so was your clarity. So, on the RST scale I would call it 33.

JadeRunner
04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
I installed my radio this weekend. I can hear people but I can't seem to get a response back. I will want to try tonight after 8pm. What freq. will we be on?

Uncle Ben
04-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I installed my radio this weekend. I can hear people but I can't seem to get a response back. I will want to try tonight after 8pm. What freq. will we be on?

You probably don't have your PL codes set correctly.

Groucho
04-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Yes. Look for the thing in your manual about "setting CTCSS tones" in the repeater section of the manual.

CTCSS stands for Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System which is a very low-frequency sub-audible tone superimposed on your FM carrier (transmission) in order to activate the repeater. This helps prevent false activation of the repeater by radar or spurious emissions. CTCSS involves 2 (TWO) actions:
1. setting the Tone Mode and
2. setting the Tone Frequency.

There are 3 basic settings used all the time:
1. OFF-- No tone encoded. Used for simplex and some repeaters that do not require a tone
2. T or TON or T-ENC-- Tone Encoded. That means the tone is sent with every transmission.
3. TSQ-- Tone Squelched-- This means that only if the station transmitting sends the tone out will your radio break squelch. If the guy on the other end isn't sending out the tone, your radio will sound the audio for a brief period (maybe 15-30 seconds) then the audio will be dropped or "squelched". This prevents other folks from interefering if they don't know the tone.

The repeaters we most commonly use and their tones:
145.145mHz 107.2 Hz tone (Colorado Repeater Assn)
145.310mHz 123.0 Hz tone (Colorado Connection-Linked state-wide)
146.805mHz 186.2 Hz tone (WA2YZT Repeater--IRLP node)
146.940mHz 103.5 Hz Tone (Rocky Mountain Radio League)
145.340mHz 103.5 Hz tone (Rocky Mountain Radio League--IRLP node)

Get them programmed, Scott, then we'll hear you!

Romer
04-07-2008, 03:51 PM

X2

You will need to set the tone for the repeater frequency we are on

JadeRunner
04-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Uh - ok. I'll work on that tonight in time for the 9pm chat.

Hulk
04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm on the 145.145 for anyone who wants to chew the rag. :)

Hulk
04-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Over on simplex talking to Yoder now.

Romer
04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I came on at 9:20 and you guys must have gone to bed

Shark Bait
04-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm in Bloomington, IL today. :(

JadeRunner
04-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I have the tones programmed, but I can't get out unless I use simplex. Is sql.typ to be set to ENC DEC? i HAVE the FT7800.

Uncle Ben
04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I have the tones programmed, but I can't get out unless I use simplex. Is sql.typ to be set to ENC DEC? i HAVE the FT7800.

yes

Hulk
04-07-2008, 09:55 PM
That sounds right, Scott. I just turned my radio off, but I can go back out and listen for you on 145.310. I've been sitting out in my Cruiser for the last hour, futzing with various parts. Brian had been checking in occasionally.

JadeRunner
04-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Ok, i got it on the ENC mode and it's finaly working.
Thanks

Hulk
04-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Are you on now? I can go back out.

nakman
04-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Alright you dorkisses, I'll be in the truck listening for you in a bit- try to call me on simplex if you want to test your rig installs, 146.460.

corsair23
04-15-2008, 12:23 AM
chirp...chirp...chirp...

:doh:, guess I need a radio first right? :hill:

On a positive note I've made my own antenna for the truck thanks to Nathaniel and I now have all of the piece parts to make my own j-pole for home use thanks to Chris for the twin lead stuff. Got the other parts at Radio Shack tonight and just have to solder it all up.

Groucho
04-15-2008, 04:43 AM
I moved to simplex with you guys, and then had a baby need, so I was away from the radio for about 10 minutes.

Uncle Ben
04-15-2008, 07:02 AM
I tinkered with Ricecake in the garage last night and was monitoring the radio on 145.145 and 146.460 simp. Nada. Too far north and to shielded in the garage I would assume. Good thing is I have got most of my list of must do's done but still have a couple of the bigger projects to kick out.

DaveInDenver
04-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Dead battery in the HT. I swear if my head wasn't screwed on, I'd forget what to do with it.

Red_Chili
04-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Sorry guys, I had to compose something in a flash for a church policy thingie. Worthwhile but it took the evening. Maybe next week (Mrs. Chili is out of town)?

subzali
04-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Wanted to but my headache was telling me it was time to hit the sack. I was catching the 146.760 Boulder ARES net for a while while I was finishing up my wiring stuff.

nakman
05-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Was nice to chat with Shark Bait last night.. been a little quiet lately on Mondays but with wheeling season in full bloom maybe some of you other guys will want to brush up your communication skills?

Pretty much any night at 9:00 is a good time to check in, but emphasis on Mondays.

nakman
06-02-2008, 08:40 PM
http://www.hamsexy.com/hampimp.jpg

Shark Bait
06-02-2008, 08:43 PM
A poster I can relate to. :D

nakman
06-02-2008, 08:45 PM
A poster I can relate to. :D

http://www.hamsexy.com/stuntaz1.jpg

Uncle Ben
07-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Speaking of "Old Technology," I am tempted to take my little VX7 "walkie-talkie"
and call up the Echolink/IRLP CRA 145.460 (http://www.w0cra.org/) from OZ a week from tomorrow at 9pm. Never done that but it seems pretty easy....anyone wanna play? I know it's not fancy schmancy satellite or 'nuttin but I think talking to my "mates" from the other side of the world on 5 watts or less sounds kinda cool!

BTW....here (http://status.irlp.net/IRLPstatus.php?option=4) is an awesome web site of nodes all over the world! Gotta love primitive technology! I mean pick up a "walkie Talkie," listen, ask permission with call sign, activate IRLP and tone in your node, talk to the world....free!

Looks like I'll be calling in on node 3990 which is the 147.225 (107.2) but is linked to the 460 machine so it should work. I will be calling in from Cairns, AUS (http://www.throbware.com.au/irlp/).

If I can't get the Cairns repeater (sounds like it might be acting up) I'll try again the following Monday from Sydney. It would be very politically correct if one of you mates bring up on the 460 that I might be popping in.

nakman
07-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Cool UB, I'll be listening for you on 145.460 tonight right around 9:00 our time. will monitor the 145 as well.. :thumb: :beer:

Romer
07-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Cool UB, I'll be listening for you on 145.460 tonight right around 9:00 our time. will monitor the 145 as well.. :thumb: :beer:

You won't hear him because he is traveling. He was talking about next Monday.

Bugga:D

nakman
07-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Oh I see.. and next Tuesday not Monday. :doh:

well I'll still be listening tonight.

Uncle Ben
07-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Oh I see.. and next Tuesday not Monday. :doh:

well I'll still be listening tonight.

Yes, it will be next tuesday for me but monday for you. 16 hours ahead I'll be! :rolleyes: :confused::thumb:

Uncle Ben
07-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Yes, it will be next tuesday for me but monday for you. 16 hours ahead I'll be! :rolleyes: :confused::thumb:

Soooooo....tomorrow I fly to Cairns. I have no idea of how easy internet will be so I'm wondering if the proposed repeater/IRLP ragchew is still on? If the Cairns IRLP repeater is up I should know tomorrow after we get settled. I'll ping in Tuesday at 1300 (Monday 2100) and give it a try.....I'm still an IRLP virgin so this will be a new experiance for me. Soooooo the million dollar question is will I be chaqtting with just Sid or will I have some RS bloaks to chew with?

wesintl
07-20-2008, 10:11 PM
will I have some RS bloaks to chew with?

of course :beer:

corsair23
07-20-2008, 11:11 PM
I'll try to get on and see if I can reach you on my little 5W HT :D - THAT would be cool :thumb:

Uncle Ben
07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Sorry mates,
I spaced out as we were snorkling on Moore Reef at the time. I had my HT and I could ping the repeater hard but I lost track of time. Sydney should be easier next Monday so hopefully I'll chat with you then! Internet is bloody expensive up here in Cairns but we are flying to Sydney in a couple hours so I 'spect it will be much easier there. later mates!

Romer
07-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Don't forget Harry on wheels for the best Aussie pie.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=5089&stc=1&d=1181016241

One in Chinatown and another on the opposite side of the Botanic Gardens from the Opera house. Watch out for the Bats in the tree's

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=5084&stc=1&d=1181016069

The Ghost tours on the Rocks is fun too!

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=5096&stc=1&d=1181016393

Convert
07-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Sorry mates,
I spaced out

Yup Me too. I was planning on tuning in and I spaced it out.

Groucho
07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
I waslistening and didn't hear anyone. Little late (9:10PM or so). Thought I missed you, Kev.

Romer
07-24-2008, 09:21 AM
I waslistening and didn't hear anyone. Little late (9:10PM or so). Thought I missed you, Kev.

Wes, Jeff and me where there. Did you have your squelch turned too high?

nakman
07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Wes, Jeff and me where there. Did you have your squelch turned too high?

I was listening too, talked to Wes & Ken briefly.. but have to tell you reception for me is terrible lately. the HT seems to do a little better than the rig in the truck, depending on where I am, which is completely backwards.. but I can't hit a repeater from the truck in the driveway now. I have no idea what could have changed, other than the ionosphere is different in the summer? I swear last winter it felt like I could hit Kansas on simplex, now I'm in a black hole.

DaveInDenver
07-24-2008, 11:26 AM
the HT seems to do a little better than the rig in the truck, depending on where I am, which is completely backwards.. but I can't hit a repeater from the truck in the driveway now. I have no idea what could have changed
Stuff like that sound the klaxon horn: broken coax, corrosion on mounts, broken connectors, rust under grounds, etc.

wesintl
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I was listening too, talked to Wes & Ken briefly.. but have to tell you reception for me is terrible lately. the HT seems to do a little better than the rig in the truck, depending on where I am, which is completely backwards.. but I can't hit a repeater from the truck in the driveway now. I have no idea what could have changed, other than the ionosphere is different in the summer? I swear last winter it felt like I could hit Kansas on simplex, now I'm in a black hole.

Just the radio waves telling you to put up a repeater on nak hill :hill:

nakman
07-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Stuff like that sound the klaxon horn: broken coax, corrosion on mounts, broken connectors, rust under grounds, etc.

I have checked my antenna connections, and don't see any issues. I can drive down the hill, and hit any repeater I want. I go on runs that last for an entire weekend, and talk all day- simplex, repeaters, you name it. Then I get home and it's like I don't even have an antenna.. :confused:

Next step is rip it all out, then mount the antenna elsewhere, maybe the radio too, and hope I uncover something.

DaveInDenver
07-24-2008, 11:56 AM
I have checked my antenna connections, and don't see any issues. I can drive down the hill, and hit any repeater I want. I go on runs that last for an entire weekend, and talk all day- simplex, repeaters, you name it. Then I get home and it's like I don't even have an antenna.. :confused:
Oh, so it truly is localized. In that case, I like Wes' idea. You have some weird X Files anomaly and only the Nakpeater can solve it. But remember line of sight, trees included. It's summer, stuff is leafed out and vegetation is a great absorber of RF energy. In the winter you might have had a better view of the repeaters.

Convert
07-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Anyone checking in tonight?

Shark Bait
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM
I've got to figure out how to tie in with you guys somehow. I'm in NYC this week. Didn't bring my radio though. :(

Uncle Ben
07-31-2008, 10:34 PM

I blew past the time! Bummed me out! I had the HT with me and everything. Was actually at Harry's Cafe de Wheels about that time just goofin' off and on a harbor walk about. I did hit the 'peader at 3 (11pm denver time) and no one was on. Think it was Sid you answered my hail. It seemed to work easily and clearly but I missed my mark. Sorry mates! I was pretty eager to try it too! :rolleyes:

wesintl
07-31-2008, 10:47 PM
just tell us a time and I'll hop on. doesn't have to be 2100 on monday

11pm is usually better for me anyway. :hill:

Shark Bait
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Man, oh man. Yakety yak tonight. The 145 is finally clear!

wesintl
08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
ah I totally forgot about it. :rolleyes:

corsair23
08-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Hmmm...I listened in for awhile but all I heard was some old guys rag chewing about some electrical equipment on 145. I think I heard Ricardo on .460 calling Nakman early on but that was it...

RicardoJM
08-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Yup, the repeater was in use right at 9:00 so I put a call out for Tim on simplex (146.460). After seeing Chris's post I jumped on about 9:38 put out a monitoring call but found no takers.

Shark Bait
08-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I heard you call. tried to respond, but realized too late I didn't have my radio set right. By the time I came back you were gone.

Mendocino
08-11-2008, 05:14 PM
So, I'm in Sydney at the moment and am supposed to be on my way to Perth. Upon arrival in Sydney I learned that my bag was still at SFO as was the HT I was planning to use to connect to the Perth IRLP link repeater to join the Monday night ragchew.:(

Oh well. I missed my Perth connection while I filled out a "delayed baggage" report. Due to my schedule I will be lucky to see my bag when I return to Sydney. I guess I get to go shopping.:rolleyes:

nakman
08-11-2008, 06:51 PM
After a brief investigation at the Rally, turns out I may have a bad coax. So I'll be on the HT tonight though, barring any unforeseen forgetfulness...

Groucho
08-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I had to send my FT-857D to Vertex Standard (Amateur Division of Yaesu in Cali) for service. No radio tonight. My HT's batteries are all dead after loaning it out to BajaBen for the GTR, and my FT-2800 is in the garage, no power.

Hope there are a couple peopl on tonight. See you all next week!

bvb
08-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Anyone going to be on tonight? I'm trying to get home to listen in! :beer:

nakman
08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I'll be there. I've got some new gear to test out, so hope to be clearer tonight than in weeks past.. :o

wesintl
08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
you sounded really clear. Esp on simplex from up there. There were a few times you were real scratchy.

Now i need to figure out why my tones aren't being set for each frequency. I seem to have a global tone setting right now :rolleyes:

Mendocino
08-25-2008, 10:00 PM
That was really cool on simplex tonight. I took Tim and Wes' addresses from the member roster and entered them along with my own in Google Earth. It is about 29 miles from my place to Tim's and we could communicate. I was on my HT at 5 watts with the external antenna on the 40! This was most impressive.:thumb:

If you want me to post the KML in the Members section I will so you can have a look.

nakman
08-25-2008, 10:01 PM
That was fun, thanks again Dave for helping me diagnose my problem at the rally, looks like I'm back in business now with a new cable, also remounted antenna. The new 40cm Diamond antenna on the HT was a huge upgrade as well, definitely worth the $20. I'm tossing that little stub thing in the glove box for trails runs.

My other pickup was a SBB-1 rubber duck 2m/440 antenna, which I've got on the 80 now. Trying the lower profile deal for a change.. but Jeff I bet if I put the longer SBB-5 back on I could have reached you in Broomfield a little better on simplex. I'll try that next time.

Mendocino
08-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I have an SBB-7 on the 40 which makes a huge difference with my TH-F6A HT. :thumb:

Mendocino
09-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Anyone participating tonight?

nakman
09-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Anyone participating tonight?

:confused: :)

corsair23
09-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I need to put a stickie on my 'noggin to remember to get on :(

Mendocino
09-19-2008, 01:24 PM
:confused: :)

I was elk hunting on Monday. I did not do enough homework to find a repeater to get out on (I was ~20 miles north of Granby off Hwy 125). I was actually very surprised that I could not seem to get to Colo Conn or any other repeater. It was pretty remote...

I'll be around this Monday.

Mendocino
09-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks Ricardo, Brian, and Tim. It was a good Cruiser and HAM chat. Let's sort out the IRLP links and get the Rising Sun HAMS global!:D

Live, from Oktoberfest in Germany next week.:)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Oktoberfest_bierzelt.JPG

chtucker
09-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Not that really makes me thrilled to go to work next week...not

Mendocino
09-23-2008, 09:23 AM
OK, I had a look at the IRLP nodes in Germany (N=4) and they are primarily in the south. I will be in the north, so no ragchew next Monday night via IRLP for me.

If you have not done it, take a look at this link (http://www.irlp.net/google.html). This will show you how you can add the IRLP nodes and reflectors to Google Earth as well as display their status. I find this very useful.:)

Convert
12-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Anyone up for tonight??? I will monitor the 145.145 at 9pm

Mendocino
12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
I think I can make it.

nakman
12-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I have antenna envy. I just spoke with Convert on simplex, 1 watt.. he may as well have been sitting next to me it was clearer than through the repeater. I gotta get me one of those J poles.. :bowdown:

Mendocino
12-02-2008, 06:51 AM
I heard you guys but missed the QSY frequency so I monitoried the 145.145 box.

I too would like to build a J-Pole antenna...

nakman
12-02-2008, 07:27 AM
146.460- Thought that was implicit so we left out the QSY... I did continue to monitor 145 though for a bit in case someone else spoke up!

Jacket
12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I was out there finishing the rough-in on my new radio (around 9:30 I think), but didn't hear anyone on either 145.145 or 146.460. I think I was picking up a faint signal on the simplex freq, but nothing I could make out.

I need to do more testing to make sure my setup is working properly, although earlier in the evening I was picking up some chatter pretty clearly on 145.145.

Mendocino
12-02-2008, 10:23 AM
146.460- Thought that was implicit so we left out the QSY... I did continue to monitor 145 though for a bit in case someone else spoke up!

I realized this when I posted this morning. You two sounded great off the repeater!

Convert
12-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I have antenna envy. I just spoke with Convert on simplex, 1 watt.. he may as well have been sitting next to me it was clearer than through the repeater. I gotta get me one of those J poles.. :bowdown:

Nak
this is the the antenna I got

Set it up about 15' off the ground so it is just above the roof line

Convert
12-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Anyone up for tonight ?

Groucho
12-08-2008, 08:26 PM
I should be around.

nakman
12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I'll be in around, try me on simplex 145 is still busy... I'll be plowing.

Convert
12-08-2008, 09:01 PM
we are on simplex 146.460

nakman
12-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Groucho I could hear you well but I guess you couldn't hear me? I was on the HT on 5 watts, I know we've yakked before simplex when I'm in the truck so had I gone there last night I'm sure it would have been the same deal. I could also hear Ricardo but he couldn't hear me apparently... and of course Convert sounded like he was sitting in my lap again... gotta get one of those J poles. :bowdown:

RicardoJM
12-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I could only hear Dan. At first I could only hear my squelch being broken and it was not until I suggested the power get upped that I could get him. One of these monday nights I'd like to take a drive up to the south end of Highlands Ranch (near Daniels Park) and see how conditions improve for simplex communication.

Convert
12-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Any one up for tonight? I will be monitoring for a while

Mendocino
12-15-2008, 08:42 PM
I'll be on.

Any one up for tonight? I will be monitoring for a while

Shark Bait
12-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Are you guys on? Lots of chatter on 145.

Mendocino
12-15-2008, 09:17 PM
I am monitoring 145 and went to 146.460. the two guys on the 145 repeated ragchew for hours, frequently...

Are you guys on? Lots of chatter on 145.

RicardoJM
12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
I should get a radio in the house. It is a bit too cold out there tonight for an indoor dog like me:D.

nakman
12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Was nice & quiet over on simplex, just Convert & I... you guys need some better antennas! me too... :o

Mendocino
12-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Was nice & quiet over on simplex, just Convert & I... you guys need some better antennas! me too... :o

LOL! I was just looking at Comet GP-6 (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamants/3900.html) antennas, and then thought that I should just get a proper base with HF and a "real" antenna...:D

Alas, for now I just have the HT with the rubber ducky...:o

Shark Bait
12-15-2008, 09:30 PM

146.460? I'm indoors in Parker with my twin-lead j-pole. Of course I couldn't find my owners manual for my VX-7R. I'm out of practice. :o

Convert
12-22-2008, 07:21 PM
It's Monday night again any one out there ?

nakman
12-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Not for another 20 minutes... :)

subzali
12-22-2008, 08:42 PM
I'll be on tonight - if I can't catch you simplex with my HT I might move out to the truck and crank up the 7800. Starting on 145.145?

Convert
12-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Starting on 145.145?

yes if there is no traffic, otherwise 146.460

nakman
12-23-2008, 07:21 AM
You know, it dawned on me this morning that I had the perfect opportunity to cross-bad repeat last night, forgot all about it. We were on simplex and I could easily communicate with both Convert & Subzali, but you guys couldn't hear each other. I totally could have linked that up... next time! :thumb:

subzali
12-23-2008, 07:50 AM
ooh...we'll have to try that. Did you get back on later? I couldn't hear anything on 146.460 after you left to get your HT.

So do you guys sit out in the truck to do the ragchewing?

Convert
12-23-2008, 07:54 AM
I moved my truck radio inside for the winter and put up a small j-pole antenna outside. I can easily flip it back in the truck if I go wheelin.

Uncle Ben
12-23-2008, 07:58 AM
You know, it dawned on me this morning that I had the perfect opportunity to cross-bad repeat last night, forgot all about it. We were on simplex and I could easily communicate with both Convert & Subzali, but you guys couldn't hear each other. I totally could have linked that up... next time! :thumb:

Tim,
The 8800 only crossbands from UHF to VHF or VHF to UHF, don't think it will work the way your thinking.

nakman
12-23-2008, 08:08 AM
I was thinking Dan could have switched to 440.something and we could have still communicated. We'll try again.

Back when I was cityfolk, I used to sit in the truck in the garage, yes. But now that boots & a jacket are required to go see the truck, lately I've been staying inside by the fire with the HT. However last night I did go out to the 80 since I wanted to see if I could hear Mendocino, I put the larger SBB5 antenna on the 80 and that's a much more powerful rig than the HT. But alas, no.. :(

:D and I did get back on simplex from the house, but only Dan could hear me. Guess we can't go HT to HT across 30 miles, eh?

Mendocino
12-23-2008, 09:53 AM
...However last night I did go out to the 80 since I wanted to see if I could hear Mendocino, I put the larger SBB5 antenna on the 80 and that's a much more powerful rig than the HT. But alas, no.. :(

:D and I did get back on simplex from the house, but only Dan could hear me. Guess we can't go HT to HT across 30 miles, eh?

I had to go to the airport last night to pick up my wife and this coincided with the sked. Sorry about that Tim.:o

Shark Bait
01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
You guys on tonight? :D

nakman
01-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey, sorry I bailed on you Chris & Bill... when those other guys jumped in I didn't get a chance to say 73's, but I had to run down to the bottom of the driveway, the Scout was idling awaiting my return.. we got about 8" up here.

Shark Bait
01-12-2009, 09:42 PM
No problem, Tim. It was good yakking with you guys, too. It's been a while.
I had to run the snow blower out here. We had 4"-5". :D

PhatFJ
01-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi guys, hoping to be on for the first time tonight since I got my license.... :) ttyl

nakman
01-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Ok I'll run out in a few.. if 145 is busy try simplex 146.460, I'll be listening. :)

PhatFJ
01-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Tim & Brian!! I appreciate all the good information!! Look forward to our next conversation on the airwaves.... :)

bvb
02-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I have the radio ready and inside, Anyone going to be on the air tonight? :beer:

nuclearlemon
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
I have the radio ready and inside, Anyone going to be on the air tonight? :beer:

i was on with nakman and dave

nakman
02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
We seem to have lost our 145 time slot, as if we had one... but as people's rigs get better all the action lately seems to be on simplex anyway, which is pretty sweet and just fine by me. From my house it's pretty rough to hear anyone down at Stevenson, I think it's just too close to the first range of mountains and the propagation must be more line of sight. As Ige and Dave drove further away from me, into the vast flat lands, their signals only improved and we could all lower power.

Dave & I were full quiet on 1 watt using the truck radios, and even with both of us on HT's were still very readable. so cool, this ham stuff, too bad no one really understands how it works. :eek: :bolt:

Convert
02-23-2009, 08:54 PM
146.460?

nakman
03-16-2009, 09:07 PM
so 147.225, right?

Romer
03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
so whats this echo link ?

timmbuck2
03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
where??????

Romer
03-16-2009, 09:41 PM
while is was talking to Tim a computer voice was saying echo link connected then disconnected.

Tim said it was Brian Noble trying to link up.

Shark Bait
04-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Where is the net tonight? I'm finally home for one. :D

Convert
04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Where is the net tonight? I'm finally home for one. :D

Usually try to start on the 145.145 if it has heavy traffic we end up on simplex 146.460. Have not checked in for a few weeks but that is where it was last time I participated

Shark Bait
04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks Dan!

Mendocino
04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
If 145.145 is busy can we try 147.225 before heading to simplex? This way those of us on HTs can chat.:D

JohnInDenver
04-13-2009, 06:43 PM
I'll be at 145.145 tonight and will try out a Yaesu FT-60 with a rubber ducky.
JohnInDenver
KDODCU

wesintl
04-13-2009, 09:14 PM
anyone still on? I'm on 146.460

Shark Bait
04-13-2009, 09:19 PM
I was going to go out to the garage and jump on 145.

wesintl
04-13-2009, 09:21 PM
There are a couple of guys chewin on 145. besides I can't find my manual to set the tone on the ht

Shark Bait
04-13-2009, 09:23 PM
There are a couple of guys chewin on 145. besides I can't find my manual to set the tone on the ht

OK. I'll try 460. I'm on my HT with the j-pole. Give me a few minutes.

Shark Bait
04-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I tried on 460, Wes. What antenna are you using?

wesintl
04-13-2009, 09:44 PM
rubber duckie.. let me try again

Shark Bait
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Have you ever reached anyone simplex, this far, with your rubber duckie?

wesintl
04-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Nope.. I don't know what kind of range this has. Not to parker I guess. no worries. I figured a few things out. I can get the peater ok.

Shark Bait
04-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Here's the thread on the j-pole (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6295&highlight=j-pole). Then get an adapter from the bigger antenna connector to the smaller antenna stub on your HT and you're in business!

Kenon698
04-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Treeroot and I talked with Johnin Denver last night on 145.145. We tried to get Wes and Shark Bait but could not raise anyone. I am just learning the 2800 so it may not have been set correctly.

MDH33
05-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Anyone on 146.460? I don't have the 145.145 repeater programmed. I have 145.460.

wesintl
05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
no.. i'm on the computer. ;)

MDH33
05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Wes and I are on simplex.

MDH33
05-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Good talking with you Wes. Not bad for Evergreen to Highlands Ranch on Simplex. :thumb::beer:

nakman
08-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Hey anyone up for a little chat tonight? I've got a new 2m base station setup I'd like to try out..

Inukshuk
08-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Since you were nice enough to talk me in to the Ranch from I-70, maybe. What time?

nakman
08-31-2009, 12:08 PM
21:00 would be good for me.. how about simplex and if that doesn't work the 145 repeater? But I'm really hoping I'll be able to hit you on simplex.. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat1.gif

corsair23
08-31-2009, 01:00 PM
I'll try to remember to listen in for the call...I usually completely forget the whole Monday night thing until about 10 or 11 :doh:

rover67
08-31-2009, 06:14 PM
i'll be in the driveway rebuilding the front axle, i'll leave it on 145 since i never have luck hitting ya'll southern boys on simplex.

Karst8835
08-31-2009, 07:39 PM
I'll try using my new HT.

nakman
08-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Ok well we're on now.. 146.460

corsair23
08-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Just called out on .460 and nada

rover67
08-31-2009, 09:14 PM
ok, nevemind, i can barely hit that machine. I am now on the 460/225 pair. chillin, with beer and lotsa grease. lotsa grease.

corsair23
08-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Just heard someone call out on 145.145 but not a RS'r

Inukshuk
08-31-2009, 09:28 PM
sorry. I forgot

corsair23
08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
I can hear the crickets outside it is so quiet on .145 and .460 :hill:

nakman
08-31-2009, 09:50 PM
I can hear the crickets outside it is so quiet on .145 and .460 :hill:

Guess I can't hit the HT down south, sorry. but hey the repeaters work, and I was able to hit Marco in Boulder on 1 watt.. :D thanks for playing, everyone.

60wag
08-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Oops, forgot again. I've been here on the 'puter struggling with vbulletin that really doesn't like spreadsheet tables.

corsair23
08-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Guess I can't hit the HT down south, sorry. but hey the repeaters work, and I was able to hit Marco in Boulder on 1 watt.. :D thanks for playing, everyone.

Yep...nothing heard down here other than a couple squelch breaks with nothing...oh well...repeater worked well though :thumb:

nakman
09-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey is anyone near a radio tonight? I'd like to see if I programmed the Colo. Connection in right on the base station here... I've called out but the state seems to be ignoring me.. though the repeater beeps back so I think I've got it? Just want to make sure before we rely on it... give me a shout if you can jump on, thanks!

rover67
09-23-2009, 08:44 PM
i can go get on the radio, just lemme know

nakman
09-23-2009, 08:53 PM
i can go get on the radio, just lemme know

Thanks! sounds good enough to me, calling it a success... http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat2.gif

rover67
09-23-2009, 08:59 PM
no sweat, sorry for the short convo, Al had dinner almost ready.

Kinda neat though, it's always fun :)

Mendocino
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Ping...anyone up for a ragchew tonight? Start at 146.460...

Hulk
02-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey, I'm monitoring on 146.460, but there's no way we're going to hit each other on simplex. What repeater do ya want to use?

Mendocino
02-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey, I'm monitoring on 146.460, but there's no way we're going to hit each other on simplex. What repeater do ya want to use?
I got roped into 24 on the DVR-no HAM for me.

Hulk
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
OK, no worries.

timmbuck2
03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
finally installed my 7900 last night, will be calling out on 146.460 simplex and 145.460 on the way home now to see if I got all the wires connected right. :)

Hants
03-08-2010, 06:21 PM
I'll try to pick up the CS CC repeater with my HT tonight.

nakman
03-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm calling ya Hants, but you ain't hollering back!

Hants
03-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Kidlettes intervened. :( I'll try again in a couple of weeks (out of town next week).

timmbuck2
03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I hit all the simplex and repeaters I could remember on the way home last night...nothing...finally heard a little on 145.145 when I got home. On the way to work I kept trying for a radio check on 145.145 but never got a reply, even when there were definitely people there...and I checked I was at full power, could hear just fine.....

MDH33
03-09-2010, 09:24 AM
I hit all the simplex and repeaters I could remember on the way home last night...nothing...finally heard a little on 145.145 when I got home. On the way to work I kept trying for a radio check on 145.145 but never got a reply, even when there were definitely people there...and I checked I was at full power, could hear just fine.....

Are you sure you have the offset/tone/enc and all that jive programmed in properly?

DaveInDenver
03-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Are you sure you have the offset/tone/enc and all that jive programmed in properly?
I was scanning repeaters last night and never heard him either. I didn't hear the 146.460 calls, but because I sit in a radio hole w.r.t Broomfield I never hear them anyway. I need to get an antenna up on the outside of the house one of these years.

timmbuck2
03-09-2010, 09:43 AM

Doubtful. tried to plug and play like I did with my handheld and my 2800. :) might need a quick tutor.....

MDH33
03-09-2010, 09:49 AM
I was scanning repeaters last night and never heard him either. I didn't hear the 146.460 calls, but because I sit in a radio hole w.r.t Broomfield I never hear them anyway. I need to get an antenna up on the outside of the house one of these years.

I've been wanting to make an antenna and set up a base station as well. I usually get great reception up here, even with my mag mount and mobile in the driveway. Homebrew J-Pole building party maybe?

DaveInDenver
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I've been wanting to make an antenna and set up a base station as well. I usually get great reception up here, even with my mag mount and mobile in the driveway. Homebrew J-Pole building party maybe?
I'm down, I was thinking of just a plain old 1/2 monopole. Basically a copper or aluminum tubing version of the homebrew mobile that W0IIN has helped make.

nakman
03-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Anyone else monitoring? :)

Hants
03-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Nope... working. :(

rover67
03-29-2010, 10:00 PM
nope. I need to put an antenna on the roof so I don't have to go out to the truck to play on the radio..

DaveInDenver
05-24-2010, 06:14 PM
KD0DHH, wanna try 20m tonight? How's about around 14.285MHz USB at 2100 MDT?

Mendocino
05-24-2010, 08:56 PM
KD0DHH, wanna try 20m tonight? How's about around 14.285MHz USB at 2100 MDT?

I'd love to Dave but I don't have the tuner hooked up and I am watching the 24 finale with the :Princess:

I need to send my face plate for service and will be on the air after that.:thumb:

Thanks for thinking of me; I love the 857d set up.

DaveInDenver
05-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I'd love to Dave but I don't have the tuner hooked up and I am watching the 24 finale with the :Princess:

I need to send my face plate for service and will be on the air after that.:thumb:

Thanks for thinking of me; I love the 857d set up.
No problem, next time! Maybe by next Monday I will be operating QRP from a random wire matched with an Elecraft T1 ATU that is currently but 6 bags of parts and a 20 page instruction booklet... I called you a few times before I figured out no one was listening. I did not have much luck making any contacts tonight, although there was a nice strong station from the coast of Alaska I was reading between a strong S9 up to 10 over that I wanted to work but he was busy with other QSOs.

FJBRADY
05-25-2010, 07:32 AM
I will be operating QRP from a random wire matched with an Elecraft T1 ATU

Huh?????:dunno:

DaveInDenver
05-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Huh?????:dunno:
Do you really want an explanation? http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/yoda.gif

FJBRADY
05-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Absolutely not and I believe I am not alone. :drumsticks:

Mendocino
05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
No problem, next time! Maybe by next Monday I will be operating QRP from a random wire matched with an Elecraft T1 ATU that is currently but 6 bags of parts and a 20 page instruction booklet... I called you a few times before I figured out no one was listening. I did not have much luck making any contacts tonight, although there was a nice strong station from the coast of Alaska I was reading between a strong S9 up to 10 over that I wanted to work but he was busy with other QSOs.

Sounds like fun. I will be in Moscow with access to an HF rig next Monday but that is too far for a contact.

DaveInDenver
05-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Sounds like fun. I will be in Moscow with access to an HF rig next Monday but that is too far for a contact.
We could try something like 10m or 6m to see what happens, might get very, very lucky with auroral propagation. Having beams would be nice but all I have to work with are verticals at the moment other than a portable dipole for 10m. This is the time of year when weird ionospheric stuff happens, though.

http://hfradio.org/fot_2.html
http://www.spacew.com/www/fof2.html

So at 2100MDT, e.g. 0300GMT, looks like right now MUF changes between 8MHz to 13MHz at I guess sunrise in eastern Europe, so we could try 40m and 20m. If I'm not mistaken Moscow +3GMT, so our mid evening should be early morning for you there. Could also try IRLP if you have access to a node there.

Absolutely not and I believe I am not alone.

That's too bad, it's interesting.

Groucho
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Most times when I would be driving to work on Saturday mornings I had a blast talking to that area. About 1200-1400GMT on 20M.

10M is dead, unless, like you say, you are very lucky. Check the beacons. If you can't hear them, then you might not even try.

40M might work, but it would be about 0000-0200GMT.

Groucho
05-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Go here and watch for any propogation:

DXSummit (http://www.dxsummit.fi/CustomFilter.aspx?customCount=50&customRange=28)

If you notice, all of the 10M contacts are mostly CW.

DaveInDenver
05-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Most times when I would be driving to work on Saturday mornings I had a blast talking to that area. About 1200-1400GMT on 20M.

10M is dead, unless, like you say, you are very lucky. Check the beacons. If you can't hear them, then you might not even try.

40M might work, but it would be about 0000-0200GMT.
I would have guessed 20m, too, but have been hearing people say 6m is starting to show its openings, although we're a year away from the upper F layer developing that's good for 10m. But yessir, lately the sun has been very quiet and so 10m would seem to be extremely unlikely.

http://solarcycle24.com

Bruce Miller
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
When you click on the link, go to "band spots" and look at the callsigns on the left hand side. These are the guys reporting the DX station they have worked. If there's any propagation between U.S. operators and anywhere else in the world, you will see U.S. callsigns in that left hand column. Note that there are none. This link is a very valuable tool and should be watched regularly by the amateur.

The 2nd column from the left shows the DX station worked. So, if your U.S. callsign is in the left hand column, and an HB9 station is shown to the right of your callsign, this would indicate that radio operators in the midwest U.S. are experiencing propagation into central Europe, Switzerland in this case.

Note, too, that the DX Summit also shows the sunspot numbers. Today, it's 73. It's been going down (poor propagation) instead of going up as it should be (improving to good propagation).

Unless you experience some very sporadic activity on the 10 meter band, it would appear that you are going to have a slim chance of working into Russia or any DX station. If you try, though, use 28.495 as your frequency. It is the DX "window" for the 10 meter band.

The sunspot numbers have got to go up a lot before we can work any DX on 10 meters.

DaveInDenver
05-25-2010, 04:08 PM
The sunspot numbers have got to go up a lot before we can work any DX on 10 meters.
Very true, we are quite away from the sun spot max and it has been down this spring off predicted.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/sunspot.gif

Groucho
05-26-2010, 08:04 AM
I would have guessed 20m, too, but have been hearing people say 6m is starting to show its openings, although we're a year away from the upper F layer developing that's good for 10m. But yessir, lately the sun has been very quiet and so 10m would seem to be extremely unlikely.

http://solarcycle24.com

I was given a 6M beam antenna by a friend of Bruce's. It is a cushcraft A503S. I put it on my roof about 40 feet up. I was able to hear a beacon in Aurora, but nothing else. Granted, this was last year, but the only radio I own that does 6M is the FT-857D and I didn't want to be going in and out of the truck/house all the time just to hear a beacon. I have never heard an opening on 6M, but they say its the magic band.

Dave if you want to ry the 6M beam anytime, lemme know. Its just hanging in my garage until I need to use it, probably field day.

DaveInDenver
05-28-2010, 07:26 AM
So Jeff whatcha think, give a try on Monday night for Russia? Start on 20m if you have access to it? Have seen a couple of promising reports on DX Summit, New York to Bosnia this morning for example. Lots of North to Central and South America. Not that 7AM MDT is necessarily a good model for 9PM MDT.

Groucho
05-28-2010, 09:17 AM
You guys might try 17M. A guy in FLA reached a guy in European Russia at 1343UTC 28 May. 17M is most likely going to be open in Russia in the late afternoon. I made some pretty good contacts on 17M with the Hi-Q antenna just driving around Arvada in the afternoon. Nothing as far east as Russia, but they were good openings.

I would guess that the propagation for 20M would be best in the early afternoon, like 1400 hrs mountain time. I made my Spain contact about an hour later than that.

DaveInDenver
05-28-2010, 09:21 AM
You guys might try 17M. A guy in FLA reached a guy in European Russia at 1343UTC 28 May. 17M is most likely going to be open in Russia in the late afternoon. I made some pretty good contacts on 17M with the Hi-Q antenna just driving around Arvada in the afternoon. Nothing as far east as Russia, but they were good openings.

I would guess that the propagation for 20M would be best in the early afternoon, like 1400 hrs mountain time. I made my Spain contact about an hour later than that.
No 17m antenna. :-(

I only have 10/20/40 Hamsticks for the 857. I need to get something up for the backyard, still a bunch of random parts for at least two antenna systems but been swamped here at work for the past 2 weeks. My goal is to build that Comet vertical copy first and then get the pseudo AS-2259 NVIS-type done before field day. Also have to build that Elecraft ATU kit for QRP. As far as the Comet I have the aluminum tubing and have wound a hasty matching coil (or I might more correctly call it a dummy load that leaks a little more than zero RF). I got the order into McMaster too late this week so I won't have 1.25" clamps and a back plate until Tuesday. I might rig up something with plywood to start testing it this weekend. Maybe.

Groucho
05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
I await your instructions on the Comet dupe.......

DaveInDenver
05-28-2010, 09:36 AM
I await your instructions on the Comet dupe.......
Whoops, thought I was waiting to hear back that you had some time! :doh: I'll call you probably after lunch today.

DaveInDenver
06-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Any interest in something other than 2m FM? I put a new SSB filter in the QRP rig, wouldn't mind seeing how it sounds. Could do 6m to 20m easily but getting the tuner happy any lower would be iffy with my 20' vertical crappie pole with taped on wire...