PDA

View Full Version : audiophile's hear?

Beater
01-25-2008, 12:43 PM
anyone besides me, crash and root into this level of gear?

I possibly have some NAD and Onkyo rcvrs and some JBL (not really audiophile) monitors to get rid of.

let me know

Hulk
01-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Interested in a receiver, but it must have Dolby Digital 5.1 or better. My Harmon Kardon AVR30 (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/harman-kardon/PRD_118585_2718crx.aspx) is working OK, but I wouldn't mid upgrading.

treerootCO
01-25-2008, 02:53 PM
thinking I need to add a dedicated subwoofer to the bathroom sound system. :D

Beater
01-25-2008, 03:13 PM
I am repairing the onkyo 797 possibly this week. I need to get 280 out of it though. 6.1, will do 5.1 and dts. 95watts nominal, dual zone, thx certified. nomenclature tx-ds797

was about 1300.00 new

other is a non av rcvr, nad with discreet phono at 25 rms, 120 peak

Uncle Ben
01-25-2008, 04:13 PM
anyone besides me, crash and root into this level of gear?

I possibly have some NAD and Onkyo rcvrs and some JBL (not really audiophile) monitors to get rid of.

let me know

Onkyo and Audiophile in the same subject? :rolleyes: Kinda like combining Kia and Toyota isn't it? :lmao:

Hulk
01-25-2008, 05:31 PM
I am repairing the onkyo 797 possibly this week. I need to get 280 out of it though. 6.1, will do 5.1 and dts. 95watts nominal, dual zone, thx certified. nomenclature tx-ds797

If it's repaired, I'll take a listen. First in line. :D

Does it have the remote?

Beater
01-25-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm installing a new power section in my Dynaco PAS-2X, pulled the selenium rectifiers and installing about 10x the original capacitance in the power supply. Also replacing the B+ rectifier with a pair of diodes, but it'll still have the original Dynaco/Telefunken 12AX7 tubes in the phono and line level sections. I'd like to rework it to add a second line level input, but I don't have a decent tuner and so it's not really a big deal. I do need to replace my POS Garrard turntable, it's unusable in it's current state. So really I'd only really need to rewire and recap the preamp after I'm done rebuilding the power supply. Being a PAS-2X the tone controls don't need the middle-zero modification, that's built in from the factory.

I also have a pile of parts to build a Pass A40 amp, which is a pure class-A amp. I'm using a pair of toroids in the power supply and MJ11015/MJ11016 output transistors. If my calculations are correct it should be about 35W per channel into 8 ohms and probably dissipate about 200W of heat into the room. I've got a double sided, deep finned heatsink for each of the 8 output transistors and a heat sink for each of the power supply bridges, so I'm hoping that I can keep from needing a fan. This sucker will be heavy and hot! It's gonna be 19" wide, about 24" deep and about 8" tall. Each side will be front to back heat sinks and the two transformers each weigh about 5 lbs. I figure the whole amp will weigh about 20 lbs, depending on what I use for a cabinet. Thinking right now of an aluminum back and bottom plate and nice hardwood face. Then a frame between the front and back panels to to hold the heat sinks.

Eventually when I get time, I have to finish laying out and then make the PCB for a zero oversampling DAC I want to build that uses a CS8412 receiver and TDA1541 DAC, probably use OPA132 op amps in the output circuit. I'm planning on driving the DAC with a NEC Multispin 6Xe that I have, using the S/PDIF output. I don't know that the CD-ROM has a particularly decent power supply, but the mechanism is apparently pretty stable and the error correction is solid (computer CD drives tend to be very tolerant of junk CDs).

The speakers we have right now are Paradigm Titan Monitors, but the set I built use a Focal 7K4412 and a Vifa D26 soft dome tweeter. The crossover is a 2nd order two way at 1800 hertz that I wound myself. They present 6 ohms at the terminals and the crossovers are impedance corrected, so they are an easy load for the amp. I need to rebuild the cabinets, they're too small, though.

It's all DIY, but does this count as audiophile?

BTW, this is largely why I have all that electronic bench equipment, the super duper soldering station and all that.

geek

I have a line on some paradigm bookshelfs, there yours if you need them (I think) I don't think they will sound better than my old advent's I have in my office (small room).

I may have you look at my nad 372. It developed a noise out of the blue today, and hit protect. Hasn't done it since.

I have a older nad tuner that is awesome, but the display is dying that may come available if I another nad receiver for a pre-amp/tuner.

Oh, and UB, in the AV world, onkyo makes some audiophile level stuff. I wouldn't touch them in the 2ch world, much too bright. That being said, they make a mean av receiver.

I also may be upgrading my kef k160's or 120's if anyone is interested. going to reference series I think.

Crash
01-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Tubes= Dorkdom? Unh uh! No way!!
You are a geek though, Dave. :thumb::thumb:

Beater
01-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Tubes= Dorkdom? Unh uh! No way!!
You are a geek though, Dave. :thumb::thumb:

not about the tubes, all that capacitor talk.. I would kill for a nice 80~120 per channel tube set up... I've had carver and mcintosh before, but I can't afford tube now.

That's why I run nad. closest to tube sound from solid
state imho. I used to rock Carver (tube and ss), but unlike treeroot, I am not made of money, and couldn't afford to keep replacing stuff...

Dave, let me know if you want the paradigms, I will let you know the model when I get them.

j

Uncle Ben
01-25-2008, 11:55 PM
I've been trying to warn you folks! DaveinDenver is not from around here! Consider yourselves warned again!!! The invasion has begun! :eek:
http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Characters/ufo.gifhttp://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Characters/velho.gifhttp://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Characters/robot.gifhttp://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Star_Wars/yoda5.gif
http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Embarrassed/hide.gif

Hulk
01-27-2008, 10:49 AM
That's seriously old school, dude. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
02-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Any resident bottleheads (OK even solid state people can answer) got $0.02 on this turntable?

Pro-Ject Debut III

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/bilder/debut_3.jpg

Cool....never seen the insides of a CD player before! :rolleyes: :lmao::lmao::lmao::p:

Red_Chili
02-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I have a older nad tuner that is awesome, but the display is dying that may come available if I another nad receiver for a pre-amp/tuner.
I also may be upgrading my kef k160's or 120's if anyone is interested. going to reference series I think.
Beater, obviously I need to consult you about affordable upgrades. I have a really nice amp... but no I/O to the flat screen. Kinda annoying.

I know nothing.

Crash
02-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Dave,
At the Pro-Ject Debut III price-point there isn't much competition as you probably are already aware. The Rega Planar I is about the same price. You might check out the offerings at Twist and Shout as they have a fairly good selection of 'tables and Rising Sun's own John Barnes company is one of the larger audio retailers in the world - Audio Unlimited and it's located not very far from your house at all. You can see their website at audiounlimiteddenver.com He may even have the Clear Audio Reference system set up for your listening pleasure. Only $100K.......and that's just for the turntable! :eek:

Beater
02-16-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm not good at vinyl anymore... I can help with home theater a little bit, but I am better at 2 channel.

In today's world, most of the higher end box store stuff, think denon, yamaha and the like, will cover what you need. audiokarma is a great site to learn

Crash
10-09-2010, 10:07 AM
My only experience with a turntable mat was over 30 years ago and it was a sorbothane mat that turned lumpy after a while. :p: I like my VPI's vinyl interface. You might try asking John Barnes for a recommendation - it's his line of work, afterall.

So Steve, TT mat question. Any preferences? My Debut has a thin felt mat but I think something more dense is in order. The Debut has a cast steel platter that's fairly heavy and I run an aluminum record weight (just friction, doesn't clamp to the spindle, about 3/4 of a pound).

A lot of people seem to like Herbie's.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/ttmat.htm

PhatFJ
10-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Here are my systems

Hi fidelity listening- Vinyl / CD

Jeff Rowland 501 mono amp X2
Bel Canto Pre2
Custom Silver interface and speaker cables (my own design)
Tyler Acoustics- Linbrook Signature
Totem Model-1
Clearaudio Champion with Ebony arm & Benz Ace cart.
PS Audio phono preamp
Lexicon RT-20 CD player

Home Theater

Pioneer Elite
Parasound HCA-3500
Paradigm sub
Dynaudio
Focal / Vifa

Lots of old Vinyl
Rock, Jaz, Classical... I love this stuff :)

Crash
10-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Oatmeal Stout is one of my favorites. ;)

PhatFJ
10-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Oh right, your VPI has an acrylic platter.

Dang Brian, that's some serious hardware. Some day, some day.

I'm just running a Debut III into a Technics placeholder into Paradigm monitors.

One day my Armbruster/Dynaco PAS-2X (Telefunken tubed, personally built power supply section) will go into an Armbruster 60W/ch pure class A amp (4 x NOS Motorola MJ11015/MJ11016 pairs) and drive my Armbruster speakers (Focal kevlar drivers, Vifa soft domes, personally wound 2nd order cross). I also built (and took apart) a zero oversampling DAC that I built based on CS8412/TDA1541. I need to relayout the PCB. Well more precisely, I need to /layout/ a PCB instead of perf board... I have been using a NEC CD-ROM transport, but I'm getting a better Sony DVD player from Hulk to use as a transport and switching to optical interconnects. The whole system together will probably sound like mushy, undefined oatmeal compared to what you and Crash are running. But at least it will be mostly my own mushy, undefined oatmeal. :-)

Dave, I really admire your electronic abilities!! :bowdown: Other than making my own speaker and interface cables, the closest I ever got to building my own equipment was a couple speaker kits I got from Madisound, in fact, that is where I got my Dynaudio's before they quit making the kits.. Anyhow, good luck on your project!! It sounds like it will be GREAT!! It's really great, how most of the really nice HI-end audiophile stuff is still made in the good old USA.. :thumb:

John
10-11-2010, 09:19 PM
www.audiofest.net at the Denver Mariott Tech Center off Belleview and I-25

Beater
10-11-2010, 10:42 PM
anyone want my beloved advent 2w's?

matching serial numbers of course, and foams are showroom condition.

Hulk
10-11-2010, 11:44 PM
anyone want my beloved advent 2w's?

matching serial numbers of course, and foams are showroom condition.

Why are you selling them?

I don't really need any speakers, but you do have great taste in audio gear. The sub you sold me still sounds great.

Crash
10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
What are Advent 2ws? I've had the large and still have a pair of the small Advents but I'm not familiar with the 2ws

Beater
10-12-2010, 10:24 AM
2w http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CDYQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classicspeakerpages.net%2Fip.board%2Flofiversion%2Findex.php%2Ft2606.html&rct=j&q=advent%202w&ei=yn20TMXuEMGqnAfr_cn-BA&usg=AFQjCNE4h2kz4AZ8CTbrvXCtoUcxUzsONQ&sig2=8g9FEeDk9z26CBRMpXD3Dg&cad=rja

they are the classic bookshelfs. classified as the small advents. not the babies. about 22" high. Perfect for tube or 30amp solid state. great jazz, acoustic, classical and vocal speakers. Not so good for techno or rock.

Crash
10-12-2010, 12:40 PM
We have the babies, then. How much do you want for the pair, John? I'm interested.

Beater
10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't know, 50.00 and a six pack too rich? I can hook them up to my nad system for you to listen, but only for a short time, I am at 280/ch in the living room.. :eek:

rover67
10-12-2010, 06:47 PM
This is neat to see... I grew up listening to lots of music on a pair of Advent 1's pushed by a Marantz 2230. Maybe not the sweetest setup, but I inherited it and enjoyed music on it until just a few years ago. That amp and those speakers really sounded good I thought.

Crash
10-12-2010, 07:56 PM
John,
I'm unable to get by for a few days and I have a three day pass to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest starting Friday so maybe I should hang on to my $$ until after this coming weekend. I'll keep an ear on this thread to see if you get the Advents gone.

Crash
10-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey John, your thread got me to remembering the old large Advents that we had a long time ago. Since the thought is to put a pair of speakers in the fairly large garage, another pair of the large Advents would fit the bill better than your 2Ws so I'm out.

Beater
12-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I now have a set of classic criterion 77's that need a new home, in addition to the advents. Again, classic mid-range heavy speaker. Awesome for tube, good with classical, jazz, vocal and the like. Surrounds are perfect. Walnut cases.

Crash
12-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Cool scan from the old Lafayette catalog! Those and old Radio Shack catalogs clue you in to how things have changed in the world of audio.

Romer
12-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I bought a nice Yamaha home theater system about 10 years ago. I got the Blueray and it wouldn't play all the sounds based on the new encoding schemes
I upgraded my system to a Denon reciver, home theater setup. Found the best deal at Ultimate electronics

I also got one of those logitec Harmonyone remotes. Awesome for listening to music, tv, cable, or anything else that has a remote. You connect the remote up to your computer and enter your equipment and it programs the one remote to handle anything.
I press play DVD, Listen to Tuner, etc and it powers all the equipment up in the right configuration.

I still have the Onkyo stereo setup I bought in 1984, its in the Grarage for when I want to have music out there. With a dual tape deck like the one Chris is giving away

The old Yamaha Home theater is in the family room as just a stereo with my Sony phase lock loop turntable

Note: Best blueray film with a good home theater is U571. The scene with the depth charges is awesome

DaveInDenver
11-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Dunno if anyone else saw this, but there's a lawsuit going around.

http://www.cascadesurplus.com/lawsuit/

A guy is suing 20 vacuum tube companies because he says he got mercury poisoning from vacuum tubes, in particular that he didn't realize (in that he was not explicitly told) mercury vapor rectifiers contain mercury vapor.

http://www.hifitubes.nl/weblog/index.php/mercury-vapor-rectifier-tubes/
http://www.ronnierice.com/ebay/83%20RCA%20Tube/rca_83.pdf

New flash, RCA type 83 full wave mercury rectifying tubes have used mercury vapor since like 1928. Just about every Hickok Tube Tester used one and they are common in audiophile gear. They are really very effective rectifiers.

Just so he's not surprised, so do (or until recently did) florescent bulbs, tooth fillings, vaccines, paint, barometers, thermometers, light switches.

http://www.hifitubes.nl/weblog/wp-content/tung-sol-83-mercury-vapor-rectifier.jpg