PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of a Roof Top Tent

Uncle Ben
01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
I wanted to get this topic started. I will post back up later as I'm going to my youngest daughters volleyball game right now. Have fun! ;)

corsair23
01-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Pros: Quick set up and tear down, comfy, sort of unique, off the ground...

Cons: Weight, can't set it up and leave it at a base camp, pricey, first step can be a doozy if you have to take a leak in the middle of the night :D

On a side note, Andrew (Cruiserdrew on MUD) posted this up in Romer's J spring thread:

Romer-Can I talk you out of the RTT for Rubithon? It is not a good idea for a variety of reasons. The trail is narrower than you think, and it will raise your COG. I've seen people do it, but I don't recommend it. Sleep on the ground or inside the truck. Leave the RTT home.

Bikeman
01-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Nobody say that mileage suffers, please. It managed 16.5 mpg fully loaded with gear and fuel cans on the interstate at 65-69mph...

The weight is not all that bad, even with my Eezi-Awn that folds out into the size of a queen bed.

I will never, ever, sleep on the ground again.

It is worth the $$$ to me.

treerootCO
01-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Bears and snakes are less likely to f with you :D

Hulk
01-25-2008, 05:37 PM
On a side note, Andrew (Cruiserdrew on MUD) posted this up in Romer's J spring thread:

Jeff, I'm glad you posted this. I've been really concerned about the COG issue. I think I'm just going to bring my 3-man tent.

Romer
01-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Don't have to worry about finding a level and non rocky spot for a tent.

Any issues if the truck is at angle? say 15 degrees.

Jeff - I saw Andy's post. Someone asked me why I want to raise the rear lift a bit (packers/spacers) and I said I am level now, but fully loaded with a RTT I think it will be a little droopy in the back end.

I am going to get the RTT anyways and unless other people in our club who have experience on this trail tell me to leave it at home, I'm bringing it. The people here know how we each wheel, we will be spotting each other and have a better feel as a group for how to go equipped. Thats why I put more value in Dave's and Kevin's opinion on this than Andy. I do have a lot of respect for Andy and consider him a friend, but he hasn't really wheeled with us.

Wondering is there is a way to mitigate the change in CG item. Robbie mentioned in the other thread about using a strap to do that.

Romer
01-25-2008, 06:05 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to perform some parallel processing.

I started a thread on Mud and challenged the members to solve the COG issue.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/201685-rtt-80-center-gravity-issues.html#post2978520

This is a great thread Kevin, out of discussion comes solutions:beer:

Back to the pros and cons

Did we say the RTTs are cool:thumb:

corsair23
01-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Did we say the RTTs are cool:thumb:

I said they were "unique", does that count :D...Glad you used the cool word as that is what I was thinking.

As for Rubithon and COG, narrow trail, etc. I agree with you that I would like to get the opinions of those here on that. I'm thinking a RTT on the Rubicon would be a great benefit at camp, but it could also be a liability on the trail and it's not like you can just pop it off and carry it :hill:

But, I've never been on the Rubicon so I don't know. Heck, I've never even mounted my RTT onto the roof, it just sits in the garage, so I don't even know how it affects my LX :(

corsair23
01-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Jeff, I'm glad you posted this. I've been really concerned about the COG issue. I think I'm just going to bring my 3-man tent.

Think BIG Matt...Like 6 person, 3 room tent, with cots :D - What 'ya think? The only concern is finding a place to put the tent :confused:

Bikeman
01-25-2008, 06:34 PM
FWIW, regarding COG, I have no rear sway bar and I did a heavily loaded Arizona overlanding trip in October '07 and had no issues on moderate trails. Now the Rubicon, ???.

Romer
01-25-2008, 06:35 PM
How many spots on the trail is it even an issue? 1, 2 or 3 over a 3 day trail run. As a club we could easily come to the obstacle, a few members yank the tent off and carry it 20 feet, go through the obstacle and put it back on. If this is a lot it wouldn't be practical. Thats the nice thing going with the club is we are a team and don't have to worry about how just I am going to get through.

I was thinking it was neat most of us were going to bring them, that would be an awesome camp setup.

Bikeman
01-25-2008, 06:43 PM
It has been a juggling act to get the tent on and off. I use my loading dock at the shop now, but for home, I am making a wooden crane and a hand winch to get that sucker on and off. Just to move it around inside the shop, I have to use a dolly.

Convert
01-25-2008, 06:44 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of going with a RTT or not for the rubicon as well. Has anyone had any experience with this RTT http://www.everythingsuv.com/oasis_tents_main-esuv.asp Looks much lighter than most and it can be used off the truck which the :Princess: would like she does not want to climb up on top of the truck.Eventually the RTT will go on the trailer I want to build for expedition wheeling.

Hulk
01-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Think BIG Matt...Like 6 person, 3 room tent, with cots :D - What 'ya think? The only concern is finding a place to put the tent :confused:

We'll talk -- I have another very large tent. So are you in, man? :thumb:

Romer
01-25-2008, 06:49 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of going with a RTT or not for the rubicon as well. Has anyone had any experience with this RTT http://www.everythingsuv.com/oasis_tents_main-esuv.asp Looks much lighter than most and it can be used off the truck which the :Princess: would like she does not want to climb up on top of the truck.Eventually the RTT will go on the trailer I want to build for expedition wheeling.

That would be easier to throw in the truck over the concerned obstacles and 40 lbs is pretty light.

Romer
01-25-2008, 07:14 PM
I was thinking it was neat most of us were going to bring them, that would be an awesome camp setup.

No idea where this is

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27633&stc=1&d=1121025840

Crash
01-25-2008, 07:19 PM
To me it is a matter of "horses for courses". Multi-purpose vehicles, such as our Cruisers, especially the wagons, allow for a broad range of activities and are adaptable to various settings. To be able to cover as many bases as our trucks can dish out requires differing accessories to suit our needs. Having camped many times with Dean and Dave with their Wildernest camper toppers has shown me the benefit of being able to set up camp in five minutes or less. After a long day on the dusty trail, to see them sitting in the shade of their tent toppers sipping on a cold one, while I'm still looking for a place to put down the ground cloth for the tent has finally caused me to reconsider. Yes, it is nice to have a tent that you can stand up in, have enough room for gear and two big dogs but sometimes it is good to be able to set up and take down camp in short order. Won't know exactly how sweet that situation is until things warm up a bit, but having just bought an Outback rack and Technitop tent from Christo a couple of days ago, I'll know very soon. Baja is beckoning at this very moment!
With the OME heavy/heavy set up on the FJ62 I've run without sway bars, front and rear, forever. Now, with the tent up top, I may have to experiment with them to see if they are worth having installed when the rtt is mounted. I'll still be wanting to run the Swampers sans sway bars without the tent up top on harder runs but for the trips that will involve milder wheeling the tent will be up there and the Yokohama Geolander AT-S tires will work just fine. Flexibility is where it is at.

powderpig
01-25-2008, 07:42 PM
How I see it, MHO. If you wheel it on some hard trail and have a spotter to watch it. The extra 100 to 120 lbs will not matter as much as you think. Yes most truck will be taller, but the tires are wider. Take and imagine if your axle is turned side ways, like on the side wall of the tire(use a tape measure if needed). See where most of your load is, think about the rest of the weight is? If 100-120 extra lbs on top is going to matter, maybe the whole truck is not set up right.
Yes the Rubicon is tight in some area's, mostly this tightness is lower down.
Andy if you are reading this, comment if you want. Yes you may have a little top heaviness, but it will not tip you over if you take caution. Use the spotter straps to counter balance. Wheel your truck on Chinamans or maybe better yet, Holy cross and at moab this year. Get use to it and see how your truck will handle it. One thing I would not do is not wheel it at all and then go on the rubicon with it. If your truck is set up right, you will learn real quick what the truck will do and not do if you wheel it and learn your truck.
Lots of guys put lots of stuff on top of there truck and do the Rubicon. Some even look like Beverly Hillbillys going down the trail. If after doing Chinamans gultch and you do not like how it handles, Try something else or do chinamans again. Ask for spotter when in doubt. If you are not willing to practice with it, then do not take it on the rubicon, it will F**k with you to no end.
Any how the Rubicon is not a trail you want to experiment with your truck. Take a truck you have grown with, set up for your style of wheeling. Take the spot from people you trust. Work it to the utmost.
Again Just MHO. But I would not even think of removing the tent to portage it 20 feet then put it back on.
Good luck on the choice. later Robbie

Bikeman
01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
I think the top-heaviness comes into play when a load on the roof is not distributed evenly, which a RTT would not apply. I mean something stupid like someone having 5 Scepters strapped down on one side of the vehicle and nothing on the other side and dropping of off-camber ledges, rocks, etc.

Rezarf
01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
How I see it, MHO. If you wheel it on some hard trail and have a spotter to watch it. The extra 100 to 120 lbs will not matter as much as you think. Yes most truck will be taller, but the tires are wider. Take and imagine if your axle is turned side ways, like on the side wall of the tire(use a tape measure if needed). See where most of your load is, think about the rest of the weight is? If 100-120 extra lbs on top is going to matter, maybe the whole truck is not set up right.
Yes the Rubicon is tight in some area's, mostly this tightness is lower down.
Andy if you are reading this, comment if you want. Yes you may have a little top heaviness, but it will not tip you over if you take caution. Use the spotter straps to counter balance. Wheel your truck on Chinamans or maybe better yet, Holy cross and at moab this year. Get use to it and see how your truck will handle it. One thing I would not do is not wheel it at all and then go on the rubicon with it. If your truck is set up right, you will learn real quick what the truck will do and not do if you wheel it and learn your truck.
Lots of guys put lots of stuff on top of there truck and do the Rubicon. Some even look like Beverly Hillbillys going down the trail. If after doing Chinamans gultch and you do not like how it handles, Try something else or do chinamans again. Ask for spotter when in doubt. If you are not willing to practice with it, then do not take it on the rubicon, it will F**k with you to no end.
Any how the Rubicon is not a trail you want to experiment with your truck. Take a truck you have grown with, set up for your style of wheeling. Take the spot from people you trust. Work it to the utmost.
Again Just MHO. But I would not even think of removing the tent to portage it 20 feet then put it back on.
Good luck on the choice. later Robbie

This seems like sound advice... Robbie have you wheeled before? :eek: :D

I would bring the RTT, the comfort level is hard to believe until you experience it... did anyone already say that the main reason for a RTT is the :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:.... factor?

FWIW, Stacy thinks that bears can't even see it, let alone reach up and get us... shhhh

Romer
01-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Hmmm sounds like maybe a Chinamans RTT Tent run is in order :D

Maybe if we go on Cheesmans ball busting leader training to Moab as well

Bikeman
01-25-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll go on Chinaman's with you with my RTT on.

From what others have been saying on Mud, it sounds like it may not be the thing for the Rubicon. Now that I think back, there were a lot of times on the AZ trip I didn't want all the pine trees to rub all over and hit the RTT. I was seriously thinking Adventure Trailers. Here I go about building a nice, lightweight 80 with tube and low CG, ie no sub-tank, spare inside, no dual batteries, etc, and now the damn thing loaded up is heavy. I believe the best thing is a trailer and set up at base camp and wheel with a lighter vehicle. This doesn't help Ken, though with the Rubicon.

With about 2K into mine, I don't think I would want to damage mine. Ken, I would sleep inside tthe rig this time above your drawers somehow, and enjoy you Jayco for other trips.

Uncle Ben
01-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Hee heeeee what a great thread! :D I had hoped it would bring out comments and progressive thinking! Y'all make me so proud....you really do.....:o

Robbie never stops amazing me! The last two years as a professional driver have taught him so much the rest of us could only imagine! :bowdown::robbie:

I am totally in on a Chinamans RTT camp-out! I think as many of the Rubithoners we can get should do it and I also think a trip to Holy Cross is in order for the same group equipped much like they will be on Rubi! We will learn so much about our trucks reactions with a load, how to work together and what we need for camping as a group. Everyone is a piece of the big picture!

I have not yet wheeled with my RTT either. I have had it mounted for a couple months and I have done some minor trail condition experiments and like Bikeman has mentioned...there isn't a huge difference BUT there is A difference! Rubicon will be a challenge, without a doubt! If it wouldn't be I doubt we would be drive gas guzzling tractors across the western desert just to get there and back! I know my abilities as a driver and a spotter. I do not fear the Rubicon but I have also wheeled it before! I look forward to wheeling the 80 through it as it will be a lot more of a demand of my line picking and driving skills than driving a well set up FJ-40 through it was! Will I get a dent or scrape.......odds say yes- my ego says no. Will I be really pissed off if I dent a quarter panel....not gonna be happy but no one twisted my arm to heard a moose through a garden gate so I'll take my wounds and live with my choices. I have faith in my driving skills and I know my friends and I really don't think I'll have a problem! That said, let me get back to the topic....

Pros
*It's a RTT! Unzip, fold out, drink beer, eat, fall asleep....
*Clothes, food and supplies are in the back of the cruiser tent and sleeping bag is not!
* It's weight is spread out over a large area when folded up
* I don't have to try to get a trailer over an obstacle while my Cruiser is doing another!
* Pull into any parking lot and go to sleep - try that in a tent!
* It is cool...hate to say it but that is a pro!

Cons
* There is an additional 11+ inches up there to watch out for!
* Gonna cost some more premium on the highway!
* CG is higher
* When not in use it is a PITA to store someplace dry and protected.
* Gotta have a buddy help load and unload it .....but sharing a couple cold ones with your helper is often worth the effort!
* Like a snorkel, everyone wants to know WTF "that" thing is.....:rolleyes:
* If something goes wrong your sleeping quarters might be a pain to open and keep closed!!!!!!!!

I gotta get to bed but thats a pretty good list so far out of that spooky place between my ears!

corsair23
01-26-2008, 02:40 AM
We'll talk -- I have another very large tent. So are you in, man? :thumb:

Almost a positively definite :hill: - how's that for committment :D

RTT, tent, whatever it is, the fact that it will be ON the Rubicon is :cool:

Beater
01-26-2008, 08:29 AM
my .02:

rtt's bad side:

IF you run expedition style, or wheel to camp, they are pretty impractical in forests. Hard to always find a level (or to level your truck) spot.

not always room above you

unique hardware, and not many plan b options for set up.

they take up a ton of space on your rack compared to separate ten options, leaving less room for provisions and gear outside the truck, where they should be stored for expeditions/wheeling to camp.

heat. having to set up "in the clear" means almost always direct uv exposure. Not very comfortable in the day, and lowers lifecycle.

Ladders. they become a pain, especially after a few beers when you need to drain the tank.

Cleaning. Always a part of the truck, so dismantling and removal a pain.

Repair. See above.

The good about RTT's.

They look cool.

They scream: "I have money and I am definitely cooler than you"

They also mumble: I watched way too much "mutual of omaha" when I was a kid.

I have also heard one say: "I wear pith helmets too some times"

Seriously though, if your concern is being on the ground, you can get a decent 4 person tent, mini cots (really cool ones these days - small footprint and light weight) for less money, and have WAY more flexibility.

If I were going to be camping/traveling in areas with abundant, big, nasty toothed carnivores and lots of poisonous reptiles or arachnids more than 4 times a year for days at a time, where there were lots of options to park, I would consider it. Other than that, they are just for the cool factor when you pull into the campground or into the known open spot at the end of a wheeling run.

farnhamstj
01-26-2008, 09:23 AM
We rented a rig with a RTT in Australia. It was real small for 4 of us to sleep in. It took about as long to set up as a regular tent by the time you got the wire things pluged into the rain fly and getting the waterproof cover over it sucked. Also smelled like mildew.

Plus sides were it rained more than you could imagine and we stayed dry. We awoke one morning to 4" of standing rain in the campground. We were safe from the kangaroos and dingos.

DaveInDenver
01-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Having camped many times with Dean and Dave with their Wildernest camper toppers has shown me the benefit of being able to set up camp in five minutes or less. After a long day on the dusty trail, to see them sitting in the shade of their tent toppers sipping on a cold one, while I'm still looking for a place to put down the ground cloth for the tent has finally caused me to reconsider. Yes, it is nice to have a tent that you can stand up in, have enough room for gear and two big dogs but sometimes it is good to be able to set up and take down camp in short order.
Aw shucks, it's not that good. One advantage that the 'Nest has over a rack-mounted RTT is that I can definitely stand up in my truck and I don't radically change the COG compared to a regular fiberglass topper (about 20% higher COG than just a topper). I'm not about to take the 'Nest off for the Rubithon, but I am not adding a roof rack or anything else up high. I will be putting water and fuel cans inside the truck in the box, so that should help keep weight low.
With the OME heavy/heavy set up on the FJ62 I've run without sway bars, front and rear, forever. Now, with the tent up top, I may have to experiment with them to see if they are worth having installed when the rtt is mounted.
I've had my sway bars off for about 7 years. With IFS that's less of an issue if the springs and shocks are dialed in for the truck. I feel it handles better with them off in fact. With a solid axle and flexy springs that could definitely be a different ball of wax, though. Dean uses removable sway bar links on his trucks where I've never felt the need to spend the money to put mine back on. Different strokes.

Now for some gratuitous camper p0rn.

http://wildernest.armbrusterweb.com/files/page1_1.jpg

http://wildernest.armbrusterweb.com/page4/files/page4_3.jpg

http://wildernest.armbrusterweb.com/page4/files/page4_1.jpg

http://armbrusterweb.com/tripsfolder/longtripsfolder/grancanyonfolder/files/page3_8.jpg

http://armbrusterweb.com/tripsfolder/longtripsfolder/dinosaurfolder/files/page2_1.jpg

Romer
01-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Thats a nice setup Dave.

Rezarf
01-26-2008, 02:57 PM
I always wanted to make my 40 top do that, but the small roof makes it impractical for sleeping if you are over 5'8"

Cool, thanks Dave, :cool:

RockRunner
01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Hmmm sounds like maybe a Chinamans RTT Tent run is in order :D

Maybe if we go on Cheesmans ball busting leader training to Moab as well

I'm up for Chinaman, may even had a RTT by then to practice with :o If I decide to get one

DaveInDenver
01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Thats a nice setup Dave.
Thanks.

Two or less people = Nice
More than two people = Not Nice (in fact impossible)

I'm a huge fan of the 'Nest and Flip Pac on pickups, but it's far from the ideal solution.

RockRunner
01-26-2008, 09:01 PM
RTT's do look cool and being of the ground does add to the safe factor.

John makes strong points too, for the cost of an average RTT you can get a great tent plus all you need to go along with it. I am trying to figure out how to make all of my stuff fit. If I add a rack I can load up a good amount of items and be safe and comfortable. If I add a RTT I loose my rack space and have to load the inside of the truck to the max. Weight is a factor no matter how minor when you have a 22RE.

I checked out the Oasis II and that is a viable option, lighter and smaller are definite pros. Cost too is a plus, time to do more research.

I am really torn about what to do, a RTT would make it easier on me setting up. Sleeping in a tent or RTT would not be much different I would think, either way I would use a mattress. The ladder would be a pain every time you need to get something or ??? Dogs would have to sleep in the truck since they do not know how to climb ladders. With my truck sitting tall already adding to the COG would not be in my best interest. I do have some ideas and will be experimenting later this spring when it warms up a bit, I'll post the results.

So far I am leaning towards a regular tent and a rack full of camping goodies. This may change as time goes on, we'll see.

sleeoffroad
01-27-2008, 10:42 AM
The one place where the RTT shines is when it starts raining. I used one two or three years ago at CM when we had all the rain. Everyone on the ground was wet, tents were wet and they were wallowing in the mud. The RTT was high and dry.

Uncle Ben
01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
RTT's are not for everyone! If I would have tried one before I leaped I would not have prioritized the purchase nearly as much as I did. I would like to give my fellow members in the club a chance to make a better choice about this especially if you are teetering on the fence. If you would have a good solid roof rack and would like to see how your vehicle feels with a RTT on it and also if you would like sleeping in a tree house :rolleyes: I will let you bolt mine on your truck for a week. This of course is on the condition that you understand that if you damage it you fix it! This will give you a great opportunity to see if the hassles of loading and unloading it and of course storing it when not on your truck are worth the flavor of using it. My RTT is the Explorer series from Mambossa that Chad is offering. It is a significant upgrade to the bargain blowout tents we all went in on from IH8MUD. I'm not dissing the earlier Mambossa's as they have a couple advantages over the newer style too but the build and material quality of the newer styles is definitely an upgrade! Think about it and let e know....

Romer
01-27-2008, 11:54 AM
RTT's are not for everyone! If I would have tried one before I leaped I would not have prioritized the purchase nearly as much as I did. I.

Thats a great offer Kevin, you are truly a gracious individual.:thumb:

Curious why you feel differently about it after you bought one.

Uncle Ben
01-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Thats a great offer Kevin, you are truly a gracious individual.:thumb:

Curious why you feel differently about it after you bought one.

Thank you Romer....my goal is just simply to provide an opportunity for my friends that is rare.

I think my reasoning has been expressed several times. Obvious question to ask your self right now..... do you have a place to store a non compressible box that you can get to when needed (maybe 1-3 times a year) but doesn't get trashed while it's stored that is 12"x4'x5'? Also, if you decide you want to toss it on and go camping is there someone that can help you lift 60lbs 7' in the air while walking besides your Cruiser for about 10 feet? A crane and platform system is the perfect solution as long as you have an 8+foot garage door or carport opening! :rolleyes:

Romer
01-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Slightly different topic on the OZ tents (not roof top) but you have to love Kowboy. He calls it like he sees it

The webbing on the rear stake out loop of my RV4 tore off the first time I set it up. One of the telescoping poles for the awning also snapped that first trip. The hinging sidebar snapped while setting it up in a very mild crosswind. I've got it repaired with a 6" 3/8"-drive socket extension and duct tape.

No parts available.

I curse the day I bought it.

RockRunner
01-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the offer Kevin, that would definitely help in making a decision. Your points as usual are spot on. Storage is a big concern for us. My shell hangs in the garage during the summer, I guess I could put the tent next to it on my side.

Cost for the 1-3 times it is used is way out of line for my budget but .................

I spoke to an old friend of yours Kevin, Jon Davis. I just bought his old fiberglass fenders for my 4Runner. We talked for about 2 hours about everything and nothing. The Rubicon came up and I asked him the RTT question. His reply gave me some encouragement, maybe 3-4 spots that a RTT would have a problem with. Those spots can be completed usually with a little counter weight on the sliders or a pull on a strap.

Looks like the decision is more of a comfort/convenience factor now versus performance. Also I guess the mileage that would be lost during the drive up and down. I figure a 2 MPG loss with the tent if you only mount that to the roof. If you already have a rack full of stuff wind resistance stays the same and the weight is negligible.

2 MPG at 3000 miles = 30 gallons more in fuel. This is based on a 15 MPG truck, 200 gallons for 3000 miles and at 13 you would use 230 gallons. Average cost of gas during the trip I think will be $3.50 so an increased cost of $105 to use a RTT.

Romer
01-27-2008, 05:02 PM
The pro of this tent is obvious. It comes with a nice bumper.

I do like the way the ladder comes up under the tent rather on the edge. Is that an ezi-awn?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-FJ-Cruiser-FJ-w-TENT-UNIQUE-RARE-2008-TOYOTA-FJ-CRUISER-4x4-4WD-LIMITED-QTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ133219QQihZ018QQitemZ280195673617QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Bighead
01-27-2008, 05:56 PM
The pro of this tent is obvious. It comes with a nice bumper.

I do like the way the ladder comes up under the tent rather on the edge. Is that an ezi-awn?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-FJ-Cruiser-FJ-w-TENT-UNIQUE-RARE-2008-TOYOTA-FJ-CRUISER-4x4-4WD-LIMITED-QTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ133219QQihZ018QQitemZ280195673617QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It looks like the ARB RTT.

EDIT: Here is the ARB link for it... http://www.arbusa.com/rooftop-tents.php

Rezarf
01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
It is definitely an ARB tent you can see it in the lower corner of the tent as you look at the rig from the rear.

nakman
01-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, a little late jumping into this one, but finally got caught up with the comments here, great stuff! I've only got a few-

Cons: Heavy, cumbersome, PITA to put on and off and not a one man job. Also you have to break down camp to move your truck. Also the ladder.

Pros: Looks cool, fun to be way up off the ground. Fast to set up/take down, also you can store your pillow and sleeping bag up there in the tent when it's collapsed.

I had been thinking of taking mine to Rubiton, mainly for the way out and the way back, but am considering leaving it home now. The extra pain of setting up a tent will be more than offset by the convenience of not having the RTT on the truck the whole time. Like say we're all camped out for 2 days at the lake waiting for the big event to start, if you want to go play are you going to take your RTT down? I'm kind of leaning towards the set it once and forget it aspect of the tent on the ground... plus that gives me a full roof rack for stuff (the RTT gives me a tiny piece of a roof rack for stuff) plus if it's clear out at night I could always pull a Luke and sleep up there.

I still want to come up with a good way to marry the Groucho clamps, crossbars, some sort of platform, and the RTT with some of you other guys this spring though, and would love to do a club RTT run some time to iron it all out. I'm kind of turned off on taking it to Rubithon though, after this discussion. good stuff! :cheers:

Uncle Ben
01-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Nak.....thats funny as I was chatting with Lori about this same scenario. camping in Rubicon Springs. It's fun to back track up Old Sluice and play around and there is also some rocks to play on in the Springs and with the RTT on the vehicle will just sit instead or like you mentioned camp will be broke to go play. Still not sure which way I will go but at this point I'm leaning on regular tent instead of treehouse.....I am eager for an overnight RTT run this spring!

Well, a little late jumping into this one, but finally got caught up with the comments here, great stuff! I've only got a few-

Cons: Heavy, cumbersome, PITA to put on and off and not a one man job. Also you have to break down camp to move your truck. Also the ladder.

Pros: Looks cool, fun to be way up off the ground. Fast to set up/take down, also you can store your pillow and sleeping bag up there in the tent when it's collapsed.

I had been thinking of taking mine to Rubiton, mainly for the way out and the way back, but am considering leaving it home now. The extra pain of setting up a tent will be more than offset by the convenience of not having the RTT on the truck the whole time. Like say we're all camped out for 2 days at the lake waiting for the big event to start, if you want to go play are you going to take your RTT down? I'm kind of leaning towards the set it once and forget it aspect of the tent on the ground... plus that gives me a full roof rack for stuff (the RTT gives me a tiny piece of a roof rack for stuff) plus if it's clear out at night I could always pull a Luke and sleep up there.

I still want to come up with a good way to marry the Groucho clamps, crossbars, some sort of platform, and the RTT with some of you other guys this spring though, and would love to do a club RTT run some time to iron it all out. I'm kind of turned off on taking it to Rubithon though, after this discussion. good stuff! :cheers:

Romer
01-27-2008, 10:53 PM
This is good stuff, thanks Kevin for starting the thread. Since I haven't bought my RTT, this Oasis is looking better for the reasons mentioned here. It can be a RTT or it can be placed on the ground and then its like a big tent cot. Being 40 lbs, I wouldn't think it would impact COG that much and if it does, it folds up in a way it could fit inside.

This would probably be easier on Rachel's 4runner as well.

Wish I could find some reviews. Only found a couple. They are positive, but sparse.

http://www.everythingsuv.com/oasis_tents_main-esuv.asp

If nothing else, this RTT talk has got me thinking about COG effects and I likely wouldn't have given it much thought before.

RockRunner
01-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Ken,

I like the tent too but one thing has me worried about them.

" NOTE:You will be contacted Via email with your exact shipping rate
after the order has been processed. THANK YOU!"

Why can't they give you a shipping rate when you place the order? I can see not doing it online but if you call it in they should be able to do it. Seems a little shady to me but they may be the best out there who knows. I think you should buy one first and then we may follow our fearless leader...............

I may have a deal in the works on a RTT we'll see tomorrow.

corsair23
01-28-2008, 12:21 AM
RTT's are not for everyone! If I would have tried one before I leaped I would not have prioritized the purchase nearly as much as I did. I would like to give my fellow members in the club a chance to make a better choice about this especially if you are teetering on the fence. If you would have a good solid roof rack and would like to see how your vehicle feels with a RTT on it and also if you would like sleeping in a tree house :rolleyes: I will let you bolt mine on your truck for a week. This of course is on the condition that you understand that if you damage it you fix it! This will give you a great opportunity to see if the hassles of loading and unloading it and of course storing it when not on your truck are worth the flavor of using it.

x2 on UBs offer. My RTT however IS the bargain blowout tent from IH8MUD. One of those offers that was too good to pass up at the time...It's been sitting in my garage since the day it arrived and I keep telling myself someday I will mount it up. I'll help you hoist it on top, but it has never been mounted so I have no idea about attachment to your rack. I plan to modify it (someday) to work with the new "Groucho" rack system many of us will be using in the future :thumb:

I'd REALLY love to mount it up on my 40 though (while the soft top is on, and off) for some weekend camping/wheeling trips :)

Bikeman
02-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Let's pencil in a date for the RTT shakedown trip now that Ken found one. I'll have to work all Saturdays, but can easily drive up that night.

RockRunner
02-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Jenny Cruiser and I came to an agreement and I will be getting a new RTT with a changing room. Looks like I will be able to take a short shakedown trip with the group depending on the date. The later in March the better or even April would work.

Still not sure if I will be taking it on the Rubicon but it will be on the trip. I plan on mounting it on the back of my tow rig so we don't have to set up a tent on the way to and from the Rubicon.