PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Removing Swaybars

Romer
01-26-2008, 01:51 PM
I see a few folks remove their swaybars for offroading. Some have a setup that allows them to disconnect and others just take it off alltogether.

This is an area that I just have no clue of whats better. I think the swaybar allows you more articulation (true?)but on the otherhand, couldn't it make you more tippy?

I'm really clueless in this area (and many others) and look forward to the education.:beer:

Uncle Ben
01-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Take yours off and find out! It seems like not much is gained on an 80 when the SW's are removed because the design of the front arms will bind and limit articulation anyway. Rear will allow more droop but if your loaded with weight (especially up high) the added droop will not be a greater benefit over increased sway! Don't "what if"....just "find out!" ;)

I will say that on my FJ-62 the sway bars severly limited articulation and as a result I twisted the backets a couple times....I finally removed the rear one and just ran the front unless I was headed for something knarly then I took the front off too.

I leave them on on the 80 and really have not had any needs to take them off.

Beater
01-26-2008, 02:08 PM
It's not so much the amount, as the "quickness" of the reaction. I removed both, but found that leaving the front off was the ticket. Less resistance made the front work that much easier/faster.

j

Uncle Ben
01-26-2008, 03:20 PM
It's not so much the amount, as the "quickness" of the reaction. I removed both, but found that leaving the front off was the ticket. Less resistance made the front work that much easier/faster.

j

Very true! On my 62 I noticed that as well. The rear on and front off made it handle better on the road but the front on and the rear off wheeled better and was better than none at all. Like everything....what are you willing to give up with the modification? Every action has a reaction!

Bikeman
01-26-2008, 03:24 PM
I took my rear off. With the 863 rears, it's fine loaded, to me.

I will remove my front soon. The guys that have had the mount at the axle break have had the brake line on the axle housing fall victim. I'm sure you've read that.

farnhamstj
01-26-2008, 05:08 PM
I rally my rig at 80 mph on I-70. I like having the sway bars for the peace of mind on the pavement. While you may gain a little articulation, it does not offset the reduction in safety. Especially with roof rack and a truck full of gear. IMHO.

Nay
01-28-2008, 09:55 PM
I pull my front to wheel. It is more balanced that way. The problem with leaving the 80 front on for hardcore wheeling as was pointed out if you snap a bracket it takes out the brake hard line. Big time not worth it.

You'll never get more articulation out of having a swaybar connected - they are designed to in essence to limit flex, although the 80's don't to any material degree within "normal" travel range as they help with sway without much limitation to flex. It is that design that makes a quick disconnect difficult compared to say Jeeps that have IFS travel levels connected and go nuts once you disco. All you need is an extension link to account for lift height with a hitch pin. When disco'd they just roll up out of the way. You can't really achieve that with the low hanging 80 swaybar.

I will sometimes leave mine off in the summer wheeling season. I can feel it a bit under full load (kids & gear) around and prefer to have it on, but I don't hesitate to drive without just the front. I would not disco both on a quad coil anything for road use.

This is why I'm always under my truck at the trail head for 10 minutes :D. The front gets a ride home in cargo area, and I reinstall when I get around to it.

leiniesred
01-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Cons: more body roll. Pros: more articulation on the trail.

I put on Drew Person's quick disconnects 11 years ago. 10 years ago I just took off the entire sway bar. The quick disconnects were a total pain.

Red_Chili
01-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Removed the rear from my wife's 4Runner when I had to drive it on CM a few years ago. Made a HUGE difference in rear articulation, not to mention with the lift and no extensions I was soon to break something. It tracks a little differently (slight oversteer) in the corners but you quickly get used to it. No downside IMHO. I should remove the front too. THen I can go from zero IFS articulation in the front to .05% articulation. :lmao:

No sways on the Chili. Sometimes I think it might benefit from a disconnectable front bar. Haven't had the inclination to experiment yet.

Jacket
01-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I pulled off my front sway bar for my first wheelin season in the truck, but never put it back on. Like most other mods, you get used to it pretty quickly. More front body roll, but I drive pretty conservatively on road anyway, and don't even notice it any more.

And my front IFS got 0.07% improved articulation!!

corsair23
01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I just stay on the bunny hills :hill:

Cheeseman
01-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I have no sway bars on my runner. No need for them. On the 62, I leave the front on until I go off road. I would like to put my rear back on the 62 for the road. Just have to alter the bracket. But then I would just corner faster. Maybe leave the rear off then.

But remember this. With the sway bar off you may have an issue with the shocks bottoming out at either full compression or extension. This is not good for the valving as I understand it. So better check that.
________
Honda SMX specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_SMX)

Beater
01-29-2008, 07:22 PM
you should also take into account that leaf's rarely require a sway bar especially if your bushings are good.

coils? road driven? leave the rear on.

Crash
01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
you should also take into account that leaf's rarely require a sway bar especially if your bushings are good.

coils? road driven? leave the rear on.

To add a fine point to John's leaf spring comment I would have to say that it depends on the springs and the conditions they are being used for. OMEs are stiffer than the average leaf spring and can control things quite satisfactorily without swaybars in most on road situations, as long as the driver is aware and takes the time to learn what to expect for hiway handling. Something like an Alcan or some other brand that is set up to be soft and flexy can really benefit from swaybars on the road. Stock Cruiser wagon springs were somewhere in the middle when new and got a bunch softer as they broke in/down. Scary without swaybars and much more predictable and safer with the factory built front and rear bars connected. Offroad? All bets are off but then everyone knows that already!

jjhancock
01-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Just curious if anybody has the drop brackets that Slee and probably others sell... Do they make much of a difference, and are they worth it? Per Nay's comment, I definitely do not want to break the bracket for the front sway bar and take out the hard line, however I would also prefer to run with the sway bars attached unless I'm wheeling. It kinda sounds like the best bet is at least removing the front sway bar altogether when wheelin'.

Romer
01-29-2008, 08:31 PM
I have the drop blocks on both front and rear. I had some scratches on my front shaft before I did that.

Cheeseman
01-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Scratches! We don't worry 'bout no stinkin' scratches!!!!
________
EASY VAPE VAPORIZER REVIEWS (http://www.vaporshop.com)

InsanityIsBorn
01-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Take yours off and find out! It seems like not much is gained on an 80 when the SW's are removed because the design of the front arms will bind and limit articulation anyway. Rear will allow more droop but if your loaded with weight (especially up high) the added droop will not be a greater benefit over increased sway! Don't "what if"....just "find out!" ;)

I will say that on my FJ-62 the sway bars severly limited articulation and as a result I twisted the backets a couple times....I finally removed the rear one and just ran the front unless I was headed for something knarly then I took the front off too.

I leave them on on the 80 and really have not had any needs to take them off.

I straight up took them off of my FJ62(F and R), It really helps with articulattion, in fact it gave me another 4inches of play(yeah seriously). It also gave me a bit smoother of a ride(not sure why or if that is a norm) but on bumpy roads it is much smoother feeling. It also makes it more tippy yes, but I got used to it and know how fast to drive around corners(slowly cuz its a cruiser and won't go fast, and not all of us have supercharged cruisers...lol) It really is a personal thing though, try it out and see how it feels, see if you like it or if it makes enough difference for you to take them off or make quick disconnects(etc).

hope this helps.

Beater
01-30-2008, 07:37 AM
you can make your own for the rear with some 3/8's stock or c channel and a drill.

Red_Chili
01-30-2008, 08:04 AM
And it won't simply bend? Or do you temper it somehow?

Bikeman
01-30-2008, 11:07 PM
I removed the front today, now both are off. I'll report back on its street manners.

Edit: No noticable difference unless I'm use to more sway from the rear being off for some time.