PDA

View Full Version : LSLC Member Possibly Moving to Denver...

cbmontgo
01-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey guys,

I live in Dallas and am a member of LSLC and may be getting relocated to Denver for work. My wife and I have 2 kids and are wanting to get some insight from you locals on where to live in the Denver area. We'd like good schools, first and foremost, and a nice view of the mountains too if possible. Looking to spend no more than $ 400K.

What areas are a good buy? I really like Golden, Evergreen, and Parker too.

If we move there, I'd sure like to join Rising Sun. I've got an FJ60.

I met a couple of you guys at Roundup a few years back...

Anyway, help or insight would be appreciated.

Carson

DaveInDenver
01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Where in town will your work be? If you work in the Tech Center, Parker makes sense while Golden and Evergreen might try your patience, for example.

cbmontgo
01-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey Dave,

We have on office downtown in Denver, but my projects are usually scattered all over the metropolitan area. I'll be all over the place.

I've actually traveled to Denver every other week for about 8 years, and now that I have a family, I am tired of being on the road all the time. It's time to get them up there with me.

nuclearlemon
01-26-2008, 08:46 PM
dang...we let gary in, now everyone wants to come here;) golden/evergreen area definitely. parker puts you into nightmare traffic whenever you have to head to denver or north, plus you'd be a southsider and that's a no-no. :D

wesintl
01-26-2008, 08:49 PM
South side school systems Cherry Creek, Littleton and Douglas County systems are your best bet.

Romer
01-26-2008, 10:29 PM
There are a lot of great spots around town.

My kids go to Cheery Creek schools and thats the main reason we live in this part of town.

There are some great neighborhoods all around the metro area. My advice is get an apartment first where you think you want to live and drive around and get to know it.

If your appointments are all over (N S E W) then you have a lot of options in being able to get to your office down town. If they are more in one part of the city, you may look there. Or let the school systems help narrow your choices down.

Welcome.

cbmontgo
01-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks, guys! I am definitely going to do some research on these areas. Is it possible to get into Cherry Creek for the budget we are looking at?

What about Ken Caryl Ranch? How is that area holding up?

It seems like you guys have a very strong 'Cruiser group up here; I would love to get involved. I used to live in Ft. Collins, and I sure miss those trips into the Poudre Canyon and to the BLM land.

I am getting some salary and housing cost issues wrapped up in the coming weeks and we would move in May, June, or July.

Aside from the cost of real estate, what other "cost of living" expenses should I bear in mind when moving to CO?

Thanks again,

Carson

Romer
01-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks, guys! I am definitely going to do some research on these areas. Is it possible to get into Cherry Creek for the budget we are looking at?

What about Ken Caryl Ranch? How is that area holding up?

It seems like you guys have a very strong 'Cruiser group up here; I would love to get involved. I used to live in Ft. Collins, and I sure miss those trips into the Poudre Canyon and to the BLM land.

I am getting some salary and housing cost issues wrapped up in the coming weeks and we would move in May, June, or July.

Aside from the cost of real estate, what other "cost of living" expenses should I bear in mind when moving to CO?

Thanks again,

Carson

Carson,
Cheery Creek is in Denver and is an expensive area. Cheery Creek Schools is farther south and covers a large area with some expensive homes and some not so expensive homes.I think North of County line, east of University all the way out east through south Aurora is the Cheery Creek school district and south of Quincy. There are some pockets in either direction.

In my neighboorhood there are $250K homes all the way up to $1M+ homes. To the east and west there are some less expensive neighboorhoods as well.

Not sure what you are looking for so here are some examples in my same zip code.

Best way to see whats available is to search using a realator website.

Here is a search of whats available in my zip code 3 bed, 2bath between 250K and $400K http://www.realtor.com/search/searchresults.aspx?zp=80111&ml=3&mnp=24&mxp=27&bd=4&bth=4&typ=1

Modify it to what you are looking for

I like this area because of the schools, you can get on 470, I-25, I225 or Parker Road in minutes. Close to lots of great restaraunts and i Grew up in this part of town :D

There are lots of nice communities throughout the metro area. There are a few that no one . . . . well one does . . . would live in.

ScaldedDog
01-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Man, you need to buy my house! ( http://www.Obeo.com/436743
) It'll go on the market next week.

Jeffco schools are good, for public schools, if you're in the right area. South is good, north is fine, central is not so good. (I taught in them for ten years, though that's been some time ago. We send our kid to Front Range Christian, which is nearby.)

If you want a nice *view* of the mountains, live east. However, if you want to leave the views to the sedentary folks and actually get *in* the mountains, live west. I choose the latter. I'd think awhile before buying in the hills, though. Just a few hundred feet of elevation difference can make a huge difference in the length and severity of winter.

Good luck!

Mark

corsair23
01-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Carson,

School wise the better districts (IMO) are Cherry Creek, Littleton, Douglas, and Jeffco - this are all South metro area districts because that is what I know. Jeffco has declined over that last several years compared to what it use to be. My niece and nephew are in Jeffco school district. I grew up in the Littleton school district and it is still good, albeit mostly older. Cherry Creek has always been at or near the top depending up which school in the district your children would actually attend - Romer may be able to help you out on that. Douglas Cty school district is one of the fastest growing and also in spots has some of the newest schools.

Of course this assume you are going public vs private schooling.

As for areas to live, I'm partial to the South side but I've been down South since 1980. Prior to that I lived up in Montbello.

Things to consider when buying a home in Colorado:

If you can live East of where you work. That way your commute in is to the West AWAY from the morning sun and your commute home is East AWAY from the setting sun. Certain times of year the rising/setting su can be brutal and cause pretty good traffic jams as people slow down due to limited visibility :)

Short commutes RULE IMO so if possible find a home near where you will spend the majority of your time. My one-way commute is ~5 miles. It still takes me 15-20 mins depending upon traffic but it beats spending an hour or more every morning and evening. If you have to travel to Downtown often then consider using the Lightrail to reduce the commute stress.

If possible choose a home that faces South. In the winter you get the sun exposure to the front of your house which can REALLY help when the snow comes. East/West exposures are ok and North is the worst. Northern exposures can mean snow/ice till spring. There are a lot of times I don't even shovel the driveway after a fall (say 3" or less) snow storm and when I come home from work the snow is gone thanks to the sun. My neighbor across the street would have snow/ice for awhile.

As for views of the mountains. x2 on what Mark stated. Once you get West of say Santa Fe (maybe a little more) you don't really "see" the mountains anymore, just the foothills. C470 on the West runs right up along the foothills so at that point you are more in them than seeing them. That would cover Ken Caryl Ranch which as far as I know is still going strong albeit older now. Golden is nice if you like more of the small town atmosphere. Again, you'd be more in the mountains and commuting might be less than optimal. Evergreen...well that is way more up in the mountains and commuting from there will definitely take some time each day and winter could be challenge getting home depending upon the weather. And, I assume you'd typically be taking I-70 to get to/from work so you'd have to deal with that every day.

Hope that helps some. Sound like you already know the city pretty well as it is so you probably know by now that we don't typically get huge snow storms, and that in general the weather is actually pretty mild year round. We get the occassional real hot and real cold weather but in Colorado you learn real quick that if you don't like the current weather to just wait. It is bound to change in 15 minutes :lol:

Jacket
01-27-2008, 09:27 AM
No love for the Northside yet, but we've got many nice places to live up here. Louisville, Lafayette, Broomfield, etc are all great communities with very good school systems. Affordable housing can be found as long as you are outside of Boulder city limits.

Plus, the Northsiders have a strong and well-established breakfast club :cheers:

cbmontgo
01-27-2008, 10:04 AM
This is some really good stuff. I am going to do some reading and check these links out today! Thank you guys....

Chris
01-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Northside? :eek:

Not if you're working south with any regularity. I'll add my suggestion echoing others that you probably want to focus on the DTC vicinity, SE Denver/SW Aurora and Cherry Creek School District (CCSD)

That's a nice central location, plentiful good housing, good neighborhoods and a good buyers market.

Don't let Aurora scare you, just stay south in the CCSD.

:cheers:

wesintl
01-27-2008, 10:50 AM
If possible choose a home that faces South. In the winter you get the sun exposure to the front of your house which can REALLY help when the snow comes. East/West exposures are ok and North is the worst. Northern exposures can mean snow/ice till spring. There are a lot of times I don't even shovel the driveway after a fall (say 3" or less) snow storm and when I come home from work the snow is gone thanks to the sun. My neighbor across the street would have snow/ice for awhile.

That's what everyone says.. buy a house that faces south so you don't have to clean the driveway. I'm the complete opposite though. I'd rather have the sun on the south side of my house, Bright kitchen, family room etc. That is where I am most of the time. I can enjoy my backyard and patio quicker with less snow, etc. My 10 feet of driveway and front yard with snow I really don't care about.

I agree with the commute though. My wife and I commuted 17 miles in va. took 30 there and 40-60 min back everyday. Now I have maybe a 20 min commute and my wifes is 5. We have a much higher quality of life.

Hulk
01-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Buy a house that faces East. The morning sun melts the snow in your driveway, so it's dry by Noon. Then you can sit on your patio in the backyard and watch the sun set in the west.

Uncle Ben
01-27-2008, 11:16 AM
I hate my north facing driveway in the Winter! I love my southern exposure back yard and rear of the house....can't have one without the other! My northfacing home front is awesome from spring to fall when the back side gets freaking hot! I have to agree with Matt though that a house facing East or West would have a huge advantage except having the sun blazing through your windows in the morning or evening. Everythings a trade off! I plan on installing radiant heat lines under my driveway when I replace to cement in the next few years!

waggoner5
01-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Can't wait to have you up here Carson. These Coloradans are in dire need of some more Texan influence. In other words....I need back-up.

Uncle Ben
01-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Can't wait to have you up here Carson. These Coloradans are in dire need of some more Texan influence. In other words....I need back-up.

Ya......the Kalifornicators need some competition buying up what we 'Radoin's can no longer afford! :lmao:;) Just teasin' of course.....truth is Gary needs someone to talk to....none of us understand anything he says! :lmao::lmao::lmao:;) :beer2:

waggoner5
01-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Awe...Com'on ya'll.

Romer
01-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Damn, there is getting to be less and less of us Natives, but if Texans HAVE to move here, at least their cruiser folk. About 95% of the cruiser people I have met are good people. The other 5% weren't sober enough to remember anything.

Uncle Ben
01-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Damn, there is getting to be less and less of us Natives, but if Texans HAVE to move here, at least their cruiser folk. About 95% of the cruiser people I have met are good people. The other 5% weren't sober enough to remember anything.

http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Signs/hearye.gif

:lmao::lmao: That there is some truth! ;) :lmao: :boozer: :beer2: :bowdown::flamingo::hill:

nuclearlemon
01-27-2008, 02:44 PM
my driveway runs all the way down the south side of my house. my computer room, kitchen and living room are also on the south side of my house. guess i get the best of both worlds.

i do still have to chip ice a few times a year...it builds up where all the vehicles block the sunlight. oh, wait, that's the entire driveway;)

cbmontgo
01-27-2008, 05:03 PM

You got it! Now if I can just find a house that I can afford that the wife likes...

cbmontgo
01-27-2008, 05:04 PM
my driveway runs all the way down the south side of my house. my computer room, kitchen and living room are also on the south side of my house. guess i get the best of both worlds.

i do still have to chip ice a few times a year...it builds up where all the vehicles block the sunlight. oh, wait, that's the entire driveway;)

I think I've seen pictures of the stable o' Cruisers...you're Ige, right? Can't wait to meet you guys...

Romer
01-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Carson, you better get your self registered for Cruise Moab so you can get to meet all your future fellow club members :D

What time frame you looking at moving?

cbmontgo
01-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Carson, you better get your self registered for Cruise Moab so you can get to meet all your future fellow club members :D

What time frame you looking at moving?

I'd love to make Moab...maybe when I live closer!

We would wait for my oldest son to finish school this semester (1st grade) and move around late May or early June.

Found some cool houses on realtor.com in Genesee and Evergreen. I have always liked that area. How are the schools up that way? Anyone know?

Rezarf
01-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Carson, come on up man! We need to have a dedicated trailer run when you do. Can't help you with all the details, I live closer to Boulder in the #3 Rated small town in America (Money Magazine)... Louisville (pronounced lewis-ville).

FWIW, we have an amazing per captia of cruisers on the northside, and we have a cool breakfast club that our southside friends get jealous of ;)

Hope your move goes smoothly! :cheers:

waggoner5
01-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Funny, I live in Genesee and chose this area because of the location and the schools. We love the school that Shelby is in. Call me the next time you come up and I'll show you around. Its definitely a buyers market around here.

corsair23
01-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Found some cool houses on realtor.com in Genesee and Evergreen. I have always liked that area. How are the schools up that way? Anyone know?

Beautiful areas for sure. Don't know about the schools but sounds like Gary does. Again, the downside would be the commute. From Genesee to say the DTC area is probably a good 30-45 mins in good weather and decent traffic. Double to triple that with bad weather/traffic. Evergreen (depending on where in Evergreen) is probably another 15-30 mins additional.

Some people don't mind a long commute. Personally I hate a long commute and traffic so that is my bias :hill:. I use to commute from the South side of Denver to the North Side daily and the commute on a perfect day was ~35 minutes. Perfect days were rare so my typical commute was more like an hour each way. That turns a typical 8 hour work day into a 10 hour work day :(. I found myself staying later at work just to avoid rush hour traffic. Suddenly my 8 hour work day became an 11 hour work day, trading more time at work for less time on the road, and in traffic.

In the end, if your job requires you to travel all over the metro area on a regular basis then non of this may really matter :thumb:

cbmontgo
01-28-2008, 07:49 AM
That is great to hear that about the schools, Gary. It is also good to hear that it is a buyer's market, since real estate is much more expensive in Colorado. Let's try to hook up some time in the next month or 6 weeks; that would be great.

The commute is not too big of an issue; I recently finished a project at Denver West and I70. I can see where weather could present a problem though.

MDH33
01-28-2008, 10:35 AM
My wife and I recently moved to Evergreen. It's beautiful up there, but the commute is definitely a drawback if you work in Denver. At least and hour, probably more depending on traffic. I work in Golden, so it's not as bad, but still 35-45 minutes. I am a little concerned about living in the hills with the threat of pine beetles devastating the forest and increasing the risk of fires, but I'm hoping for the best. Real estate is also still on the downward spiral, so prices should continue to fall. Bad for us, but good for you if you're buying and have already sold your current place.

cbmontgo
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Here's an update:

Found a really cool house in Kittredge.

Other than the weather and commute issues with living at 7000+ feet, am I crazy for wanting to live in the "hills"? I lived in Colorado when I was a kid, and we were in the city. It just seems like it would be a cool change to be in the trees up there. I'd love to mix a drink and sit on the back deck with that view. I picture taking my boys hiking and camping and being just that much closer to it all. On the other hand, I know some folks in Evergreen who swear that out-of-towners only stay one winter and exodus back to Denver where the winters are shorter. What do you guys think?

Chris
02-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Looks like Jeff can address this one. ;)

Romer
02-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I love the mtns and am a native. I would love to have a cabin and do just what you said. I wouldn't want to live there everyday with the commute to the city, but thats meet. Plenty of people that do though.

cbmontgo
03-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Here's the latest:

My wife and I were in town for a quick trip last weekend and are looking very seriously at a house in the Conifer area. We looked all over Denver, but our hearts are just set on living in the hills.

We are finishing a bathroom remodel on our house in Dallas and we are likely going to put it on the market later this month. We may also put an offer on the house in Conifer in the next 1-2 weeks, depending on how some adjoining land plat issues go.

In a nutshell, the move to Denver is looking good! I am looking forward to joining Rising Sun as soon as we arrive. I really enjoyed meeting you guys last month at the meeting...

Mendocino
03-11-2008, 11:31 PM
We moved here in 2005 form the Wine Country of Northern California. We looked at Evergreen, Genesee and lots of other places but in the end settled in Broomfield and are very happy. We lived in the country in California and coming to the greater Denver area was very much moving "to the city." We settled on the end in Broomfield so that I did not have a 1+ hour commute each day. We did find some acreage and the short commute has made our quality of life much better. I am also 25 minutes from the airport on the toll road which is great.

I think the south facing driveway advise is very good. I see lots of folks with north facing driveways that are not happy.

cheers:

cbmontgo
04-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Broomfield is a nice place as well.

The house we looked at in Conifer had some easement issues, so we are back to looking again in other areas. We are going to keep looking in Evergreen, but recently looked at 2 houses down in Castle Pines and really liked the area.

A friend of mine is also looking at houses in Franktown. What's the word on that place?

MDH33
04-04-2008, 10:58 AM
My advice is to wait awhile. Housing prices are in a free-fall right now... You could find out that the house you buy is suddenly worth 50 grand less than you paid for it. I know first hand.:banghead:

Red_Chili
04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Actually, in our neighborhood the prices are anything but in a free-fall.

It depends on the neighborhood really. The housing crisis is unlikely to extend past this year.

RE: north facing driveways, yeah, I was really disappointed when a new power pole :rant: suddenly meant we needed to turn our new detached garage design 180* to face north. Oh well I thought.

Know what? It ain't bad at all if you keep after it with a snowblower. The best part? The garage will NOT roast you in the summertime, and part of the driveway is in the shade. Since I spend most of my garage time in the summer, I'm sold.

YMMV in Conifer though. You will hate that commute. Try renting first up there, then decide?

I'm sold on old Littleton. Great schools, old-fashioned neighborhoods that are inclusive and people actually talk to each other and get to know each other (it's a 'front porch' neighborhood, as opposed to a 'back yard' one with only garage doors facing the sidewalk - people go in front here, cars go in back), close to Light Rail, close (walking distance) to great parks, good restaurants, got great history, and of course close to the superior South Siders events.

You're from the South so I'm sure you 'get it'. :hill:

cbmontgo
04-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks, guys. It is really hard to tell what this housing market is going to do, but I hope that the decline will end some time this year (right after I buy, of course!).

I have noticed, though, that houses are selling pretty fast in Castle Pines, but slow up in the hills.

We would really prefer a neighborhood where people are friendly with their neighbors. Yes, the South is like that for the most part, especially where I grew up in Mississippi.

Littleton is nice. We are still looking around there. Ken Caryl is awesome to the west, but houses over there across the hogback are a little pricier than we'd like.

Thanks for the advice!

Carson

corsair23
04-04-2008, 05:24 PM
We are going to keep looking in Evergreen, but recently looked at 2 houses down in Castle Pines and really liked the area.

A friend of mine is also looking at houses in Franktown. What's the word on that place?

Castle Pines is nice but tends to be spendy depending on where you are at. Great little dirt back road (Daniel's Park) from there to the Highlands Ranch area that I'm sure is bound someday to get paved over :(. Depending on where you have to go for work Castle Pines could be good or suck real bad. Also, that is about the area where in the winter I25 can become a quagmire if there is an accident.

Franktown...Well, that is out there quite a ways. Great horse property etc. but not like living in the mountains with trees etc. if that is what you are looking for. There are some trees out there (pine, pinon, whatever they are) but they tend to be pretty sparse...Semi-arid desert climate and all. Again, depending on where you are going to be working the commute might not be bad or it could suck. Just going to the hardware store or the grocery store could be an hour + round trip affair depending on where you land out there.

Is your wife going to be working? That could have an impact on whether living too far from civilization would be a plus or a negative for her. And getting the kids to/from school, having friends over, etc. might be something to consider. Of course that goes for some of the metro area as well as there are areas that tend to be "younger" with more kids vs "older" with fewer kids. These are all the things my wife and I considered when buying our house. We'd love to live up in the hills on some property but ended up in Highlands Ranch based on work, schools, community, the kids, etc.

I agree with Martin in that if you can swing it, I'd rent and spend some time 3+ months kind of getting use to everything and see what fits best. I know for a fact that there are a lot of homes in Highlands Ranch that are rentals so finding a place for a few months or even month to month shouldn't be too difficult.

Romer
04-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Franktown will remind you of Texas . . . Flat, dusty nothing around you and did I say Flat

corsair23
04-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Franktown will remind you of Texas . . . Flat, dusty nothing around you and did I say Flat

Everything East of Denver to the Colorado border will remind him of Texas :hill:. Some of the most boring stretch of roads are I70 East bound and I76 NE bound. People make fun of Nebraska and Kansas but at least it starts getting green and you have the cattle farm smell to keep you awake :lmao:

They should have made the Western border of Colorado just west of Grand Junction and the Eastern border about where DIA is :)

wesintl
04-04-2008, 06:40 PM

Flat:confused: To me it's rolling hills with scrub and pine. Sure there are some flat areas out closer to elizabeth but it's not like east of A-town where you can see the Kansas border. Personally i think the area from franktown out 86 to i70 is pretty cool.

The only thing I'd be concerned about in either castle pines or franktown is your water rights and the table.

cbmontgo
04-04-2008, 08:11 PM
You know, renting is not necessarily a bad idea, but we don't want to move twice if we can avoid it. We have a lot of chit.

Where do you guys see Denver moving in the next decade? I want to buy into an area that will be a sound investment. It seems like the mountains are iffy due to the pine beetles and water scarcity, and the suburbs are iffy because it is hard to sell your house when there are 30,000 that look just like it.

I'd love to buy in Cherry Creek, but home prices seem way high. Other parts of Denver proper don't seem to have very good schools. Decisions, decisions!

Romer
04-04-2008, 08:35 PM
I livein a different part of Cherry Creek. Around Cherry Creek Resv, just south of Cherry Creek Dam. There are homes of all price ranges here.

With this market, I have been keeping an eye out. I think the area between Arapahoe Rd and the town of Parker and Castle Pines North to Lone Tree would be good areas.

Close to multiple highways and with other main roads to get through. good schools, still close to everything.

cbmontgo
04-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I livein a different part of Cherry Creek. Around Cherry Creek Resv, just south of Cherry Creek Dam. There are homes of all price ranges here.

With this market, I have been keeping an eye out. I think the area between Arapahoe Rd and the town of Parker and Castle Pines North to Lone Tree would be good areas.

Close to multiple highways and with other main roads to get through. good schools, still close to everything.

Thanks, Ken. That is kinda what I have been noticing. I am in the construction engineering business, and most of what has come across my desk lately has been south of town. I wonder how far down the light rail will end up going?

Mendocino
04-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Rent for a while. Renting will give you a much better understanding of the region and it has a strong potential of mitigating market risk.

As Chili has pointed out, some markets continue to appreciate: Boulder is a good examle (in some price ranges).

Red_Chili
04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Where do you guys see Denver moving in the next decade? I want to buy into an area that will be a sound investment. It seems like the mountains are iffy due to the pine beetles and water scarcity, and the suburbs are iffy because it is hard to sell your house when there are 30,000 that look just like it.

I'd love to buy in Cherry Creek, but home prices seem way high. Other parts of Denver proper don't seem to have very good schools. Decisions, decisions!
Exactly why we decided to take an old small bungalow in Littleton and rebuild it with some modern amenities, but still retain the historic flavor and fit in with the neighborhood. As utilities increase in cost and commuting becomes ever more expensive, and as the metro area continues to be built out and landlocked, and as water becomes of critical importance and in a shortage, these older neighborhoods will be more valuable as a) historic upgrades like Wash Park has, or b) scrape-offs for new McMansions that are energy efficient.

The situation changes from block to block in these neighborhoods. Two blocks down from us are postwar icks for houses. Two blocks north are wonderful old Denver Squares and big bungalows. Our block has rebuilds on both ends and in the middle that are very good quality.

Ours is neither a wheezy old house nor a scrape-off, and it is (re)built green. We are upside down on it in the short term, but less so every year, and I fully expect this neighborhood to go in a more accessible/affordable Wash Park/Baker neighborhood direction. There are some infill projects in the works that will take this beyond critical mass in terms of direction too. The neighborhood is extremely stable too. The lady down the street's grandfather owned our home, and she has lived here all her life. Pretty typical. Deep roots.

Not that there are not risks, the rental next door is a near fall-down place. It will be a scrape off though. The land is valuable.

There are other neighborhoods like this around Denver. YMMV.

Hulk
04-04-2008, 11:20 PM
We're in Centennial, west of I-25, roughly Holly & Dry Creek. The houses in our neighborhood were built by Sanford (a good builder, still in business) in 1979. The style is pretty classic -- our neighborhood doesn't scream 1970! like some do. Being close to the Denver Tech Center and in Littleton School District (quite good) has kept the property values on constant increase, even though the houses may be smaller than what you can get for the same money in Highlands Ranch. We've been really comfortable here.

I would have preferred a house in Wash Park, back when we bought this one in 1998 as a newly married couple. But since having kids, we've been glad we live where we do. Tons of other kids in the neighborhood, nice neighbors, swim team, etc.

There are loads of good neighborhoods, north, central, west, south. Even east. I'd figure out where you're working and look in that neck of the woods for a neighborhood that suits your style.

Shark Bait
04-04-2008, 11:52 PM
We are in Parker, which is north of Franktown, south of Aurora and east of I-25 and Highlands Ranch. Parker is growing pretty fast. It's right off E-470 and I can get to downtown Denver or the airport in about 30-35 minutes. Parker is an interesting mix of horse properties and development communities. My wife and I live on the golf course, which is nice because we will never have anyone behind us. Sometimes I wish we had some land so I could have all he cruisers I want and no HOA to bitch about it. Otherwise I like it pretty well.

I think renting until you have a better idea of what part of town you really want to live in is a capital idea. Rent one of those "pod" storage things for all your stuff. I think it would be difficult to commit to an area until you know the area.

cbmontgo
04-05-2008, 07:07 PM
We are in Parker, which is north of Franktown, south of Aurora and east of I-25 and Highlands Ranch. Parker is growing pretty fast. It's right off E-470 and I can get to downtown Denver or the airport in about 30-35 minutes. Parker is an interesting mix of horse properties and development communities. My wife and I live on the golf course, which is nice because we will never have anyone behind us. Sometimes I wish we had some land so I could have all he cruisers I want and no HOA to bitch about it. Otherwise I like it pretty well.

I think renting until you have a better idea of what part of town you really want to live in is a capital idea. Rent one of those "pod" storage things for all your stuff. I think it would be difficult to commit to an area until you know the area.

I've looked some in Parker over the last couple of years; it is a nice area. How are the schools down there?