PDA

View Full Version : '77 Fj40 $1500

Shark Bait
01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
No affiliation. Looks pretty god for parts:

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/552383138.html

Rzeppa
01-27-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that's Dallas Maddox's rig (Co Springs). We spoke on the phone about it a few days ago after he posted it on the LCML. I have been seriously considering it, but need a place to put it :-)

RicardoJM
01-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Jeff if you pull the trigger on this and need help putting it on a trailer, let me know:D. Hanging out with Ige and Timm has been fun and I'd be glad to lend a hand on another old rig pickup.

Uncle Ben
01-28-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that's Dallas Maddox's rig (Co Springs). We spoke on the phone about it a few days ago after he posted it on the LCML. I have been seriously considering it, but need a place to put it :-)

Simple.....get rid of the LV ...:eek: :bolt::bolt::bolt: :hill:

timmbuck2
01-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Simple.....get rid of the LV ...:eek: :bolt::bolt::bolt: :hill:

yeah Zepp, good idea, I could take it off your hands. I have room in the garage now. :rolleyes:

T

Rzeppa
01-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Simple.....get rid of the LV ...
Yeah, that's pretty much what it is, but I promised Mike I'd let him keep it here as long as he needs to. Basically what I told Dallas was that I was mainly interested in the front axle for my 71, and also interested in the 2F. I'd like to build a 2F at my leisure to have as a spare when I inevitably need one. As we all know, the best deals are to be had when they come around from time to time, as opposed to when you're in a hurry and need something right now!

treerootCO
01-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I have been trying to sell all my 45s local and I can't find any takers. I'll put them all on eBay soon...

Rzeppa
01-28-2008, 06:10 PM
I have been trying to sell all my 45s local and I can't find any takers. I'll put them all on eBay soon...
No worries mike, you're welcome to keep this one here as long as you'd like.

I know you've had some doubts about various things over the last year or so, but I suggest you keep at least enough of them to build a nice one for yourself. And of course, beyond providing a place to store one of them, I'll be more than happy to lend hands-on help for that project.

timmbuck2
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM

I would love one. Just need to get the 40 running first...

Uncle Ben
01-28-2008, 06:52 PM
No worries mike, you're welcome to keep this one here as long as you'd like.

I know you've had some doubts about various things over the last year or so, but I suggest you keep at least enough of them to build a nice one for yourself. And of course, beyond providing a place to store one of them, I'll be more than happy to lend hands-on help for that project.

Great advice! Start stripping the dead ones and sell what you don't need. Build a super sweet one. Keep enough tough to come by parts to support the beast and cash crop the rest!

Rzeppa
01-28-2008, 07:24 PM
That reminds me, I've got coarse spline side gears and coarse spline axles if anyone wants to "upgrade" to the vintage design :-)

Seriously, when Mark Algazy (of Mark's Offroad) visited with me for a couple days for the first RS Rally in '06, he confided that in all his years of working on cruisers in his shop that he'd never seen a broken ball and claw joint, and he wheels the snot out of his coarse-spline ball and claw FJ45 and has never had any issues.

Obviously, lower gears and larger tires make a difference, but I sometimes wonder if fine splines, longfields, etc., make more of a difference than the nut behind the wheel.

timmbuck2
01-28-2008, 07:37 PM
If this has not sold yet I fully expect our resident 'flipper' to grab it and put it on MUD for $2500, like the $900 40 in Lyons is already on MUD for $1500. :rolleyes:

treerootCO
01-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Great advice! Start stripping the dead ones and sell what you don't need. Build a super sweet one. Keep enough tough to come by parts to support the beast and cash crop the rest!

I had started doing just that the day the city came knocking. The problem I have now is I no longer have a garage to work in, I don't dare tear into something in view of the street, and it was much easier to swap the small parts when all the rigs were in the same place. I am working on getting a title for the green one and it will be gone. I gave away the black one for free.

MDH33
01-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Maybe the club should invest in a "clubhouse/garage space". We could hold meetings there and also have a community space to work on rigs. I'm not business savvy, but isn't there a way that an organization like ours could work the finances for something like this? a space for yearly birfield packing party, and scheduled workshops/edumacation on projects that the group could benefit from, etc. Just thinking out loud. First project could be a rebuild of an LV. :)

treerootCO
01-29-2008, 09:54 AM
The liability would be an issue and if you haven't looked at real estate pricing for that kind of land/structure you will be surprised how expensive it is. As soon as I decide what to do...I'll buy a few acres and build a few garages for all to use.

Maybe the club should invest in a "clubhouse/garage space". We could hold meetings there and also have a community space to work on rigs. I'm not business savvy, but isn't there a way that an organization like ours could work the finances for something like this? a space for yearly birfield packing party, and scheduled workshops/edumacation on projects that the group could benefit from, etc. Just thinking out loud. First project could be a rebuild of an LV. :)