PDA

View Full Version : Oil changing 101...

corsair23
01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Ok, this isn't a real hi-tech question or anything...

When changing the oil and filter on your 80s (or other rigs with similar oil filter location/orientation), do you folks do anything special to avoid the inevitable oil spill coming from the filter when it is removed?

I've tried waiting quite awhile to take the filter off (hoping most of the oil will drain out which is probably futile right?)...I've tried cramming a ton of shop towells directly under the filter...I've tried slowly removing the filter...

The end result is always the same. A fair amount of oil spilling down the side of the engine and onto everything down below. I've started putting those puppy training pads below the area to soak up most of the oil (they work great btw) but I still spend a fair amount of time wiping everything else down.

So, any tips/tricks or is it just inevitable that I'm going to spill oil all over even if I'm quick to get the filter pointed up fairly quick after removal?

nuclearlemon
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I put a large drip pan underneath and try to hold an absorbent matt under the filter as i quickly spin it off.

treerootCO
01-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Get the vehicle up to operational temperature. This works best if you exit off the highway and immediately pull the filter. The oil is so hot that you become much quicker at removing the filter. :p:

MDH33
01-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Puncture the top to allow air in. The filter should drain of most of it's oil.

Red_Chili
01-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Most of the dealers do just that.

Point to ponder however: make sure you can loosen the filter first! Just make sure it will turn a fraction of a turn, no need to make it leak first.

corsair23
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Puncture the top to allow air in. The filter should drain of most of it's oil.

Really? I'll try that. I've actually had filters on so tight that the only way to get one off was to drive a screwdriver clean through for leverage to get it off. Now THAT makes a mell of a hess :o

I'll add to this putting absorbent matt directly under the filter like Ige suggested as well and see what happens :thumb:.

Good point Bill on insuring the filter is going to come off for sure first :) - like insuring you can get the fill plug on a diff off before pulling the drain plug :D

Now, Root's suggestion...well, um :hill:

milehighroller
01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Jeff,

I take a King Soopers bag and put it around the filter after I have it loosened. The bag will catch any spillage. I have past experience on this technique in changing the oil in my Passat.

Scott

Tch2fly
01-29-2008, 11:43 AM
My solution ....

Raceway Lube at Univ/Dry Creek :lmao:

I don't mind doing a Birf repack but I do not change my own oil ;)

The mess, taking the oil for recycling ..... I'd rather read TT while somebody else does it:thumb:

nakman
01-29-2008, 12:32 PM
My solution is just get over it and spend the few minutes wiping down the side of the engine and axle.. it's only twice a year and those parts could use the rust proofing anyway... stand on the tire to get way up in there, then spin that sucker off as fast as you can and then tip it upright.

subzali
01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
So is this 80 series tech? :hill: :bolt:

corsair23
01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
So is this 80 series tech? :hill: :bolt:

Yeah, pretty dull huh? It gets better though when a latte maker gives up the ghost...Quite the mad scramble to get it back up and working :lmao:

Red_Chili
01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Actually, keeping the engine block free of oil on an 80 is critical to the quality of the scones from the sNakster. Quite critical. One simply cannot have even the slightest whiff of 5W30 ruining the latte-and-scones experience.

treerootCO
01-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Actually, keeping the engine block free of oil on an 80 is critical to the quality of the scones from the sNakster. Quite critical. One simply cannot have even the slightest whiff of 5W30 ruining the latte-and-scones experience.

I subscribe to the flavoring that only 5W30 can provide. When I do choose to use 5W30 it is often for foods cooked for longer periods of time/lower temperatures. In my experience such situations allow the food to be more subtlely flavored by the smoke from the burning 5W30 and/or smoldering electrical. While 5W30 grilling always adds to the aroma for the cook, in my experience when the resulting food has been quickly cooked at high temperature with good air circulation there is minimal flavor difference when using 5W30.

DaveInDenver
01-29-2008, 02:38 PM
I wonder, root, if you've tried Mobil1? It imparts a slightly more robust hint, reminders of times past when you still had to crank start and driver's wore goggles. But in the end, it's truly hard to beat the subtle southwestern kick of Syntec or the old world aroma of Rotella.

Tch2fly
01-29-2008, 03:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/livnletdie/rp.jpg

corsair23
01-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I love this club :D :lol:

Rzeppa
01-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I always just put a rag around the bottom, spin it off fast and usually lose very little to have to wipe up. This is on Fs, 2Fs and 1HZ, not sure about orientation/clearance on a 1FZ?