PDA

View Full Version : Drywall anyone?

timmbuck2
01-28-2008, 04:33 PM
OK, almost ready to drywall the new passthrough in the kitchen. Just the edges of the new passthrough and a couple of feet on one side of the wall where I had to open the wall to move the electrical wires. I don't mind hanging the drywall. I HATE the mud. (hmm...ih8mud...good idea for a website!) Anyway, anyone have a cheap guy who is a good drywaller?

Thanks.

T

MDH33
01-28-2008, 04:41 PM
I just did a ton of drywall repair and replacement in our new place. The sanding was the worst part. I took my time and applied the mud in three coats over three days, sanding between coats. Primed and painted on the fourth. Not tough work, just really really messy! I used the fabric tape which was nice and easy compared to the paper stuff.

timmbuck2
01-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I have done it many times....I just HATE it. :) We had a leak in the shower upstairs when we move din back in '99. After I replaced the shower I cut out a 3' x 3' section of ceiling. The local handyman wanted $300 to drywall that hole! It took me 2 weeks of mudding and sanding, but it looks perfect now. But I HATE the sanding...plus this is a high visibility area, would be good for it to be perfect.

I just did a ton of drywall repair and replacement in our new place. The sanding was the worst part. I took my time and applied the mud in three coats over three days, sanding between coats. Primed and painted on the fourth. Not tough work, just really really messy! I used the fabric tape which was nice and easy compared to the paper stuff.

60wag
01-28-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm no pro but the less excess mud you leave on the wall, the less sanding you have to do. That makes it go much faster. That and a thick texture coat to cover the oops :)

RockRunner
01-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Wag is right, skim as thin a coat of mud with an 6" blade and sand. Next use a 8-10" blade and feather, again very thin and sand. Now use a 10-12" blade and feather out till you use no texture and sand again. Now texture to your hearts content ;-)

BTW I am retired from this, won't even do my own basement when the time comes.