PDA

View Full Version : Natural gas

MDH33
01-28-2008, 04:25 PM
No, not that kind. :rolleyes:

Just curious, if you heat your house with a natural gas furnace, what is your typical monthly bill looking like? Divide your monthly gas bill by the square footage of your house and take the poll.

I just got my first natural gas bill for our new (to us) house. Seems outrageously high. I'm at .28 ! :eek: Only the furnace and hot water heater run on gas and since we are not living there yet, we haven't used the hot water much. We've had the thermostat set at 65. Am I just being cheap, or does it seem like something is wrong?

treerootCO
01-28-2008, 04:28 PM
119.25 / 744 = .16

nuclearlemon
01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
crap, you make me feel better. my furnace some nights hasn't even shut off and i'm at .15. of course my heater is set at 56 overnights and weekdays, 62 early morning and from 6pm-10pm

MDH33
01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
744 / 119.25 = 6.24

bill divided by sq ft. ;)

treerootCO
01-28-2008, 04:34 PM
bill divided by sq ft. ;)
done

Beater
01-28-2008, 05:52 PM
.12 counting the basement, with steam heat, and a new, highest efficiency boiler made (90%) and a programmable thermostat... That was for december, and I am home a lot in in december. If you don't count the basement, as it's really on the family room that we use, and no heating registers (just a few exposed pipes), I go to .16666666666666

best thing you can do is get a programmable thermostat to only run the times you need it to. reduced our bill by close to 40%

j

wesintl
01-28-2008, 06:55 PM
depends on how cold it is. last month I paid ~.15 usually it's way less than that though. The last month bill was a cold month plus with ah yungin and wife I gotta keep it at 70. I'd love to keep it at 65 :cool:. I think it's usually about .10

60wag
01-28-2008, 07:41 PM
100$/2000 ft2 = 0.05 for December. Its a 1957 ranch house with a 10 year old high efficiency forced air furnace and some blown in insulation. I must be doing something right.

Chris
01-28-2008, 07:48 PM
.023 :p:

Heating cost is the only advantage I've found to living where I do.

Uncle Ben
01-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Last month was coldest and highest this season. Plus we had the gas fireplace insert on a lot but since Amy isn't living downstairs right now the basement is turned off. Hot water baseboards throughout (even the garage) high efficiency boiler. EDIT: I can't stand a cold house so in the morning and evening the main floor is 70* and the off peak times are 60*(garage is on a return line....no thermostat....stays about 50-55 on a cold month.

298.18/3908= .076

nakman
01-28-2008, 08:26 PM
$50.08/1730= .029. That's down here in town... thermostat between 58 and 62 depending on time of day.

620/1150/4= .46 up in the hills, just had the propane tank filled after 4 months to the tune of $620 :doh:. Thermostat set at 57 all the time, and that propane use is almost all heat, I cooked eggs once and have made about 4 pizzas.. Did I mention that furnace up there sucks ass? .28 sounds pretty good..

RockRunner
01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Wow, I never thought about it like that. After reading these post I don't feel to bad regarding our bill.

3500 @ 180= 0.051 This includes us using the fireplace insert when it gets real cold. So far we have burned 1.5 cords of wood this winter but then again the average heat in the house is around a balmy 73*

corsair23
01-29-2008, 12:57 AM
$150.81/2863 = .053 w/out the basement
$150.81/3763 = .040 w/ the basement

I've never considered this to be good but looking at the other results I'm surprised. 12 yr old multi-level home with original furnace, gas fireplace, gas water heater, and gas clothes dryer. Thermostat is set for a chilly 69F pretty much full time in the winter. I've read that in reality even with a programmable thermostat it is better to keep the temperature fairly constant rather (within a few degrees of the high and low temp, if that) than to have big swings. Word is that it takes more energy to heat up/cool down a house from the different temps than it does to just keep it fairly constant. I guess like city driving vs. highway driving?

Only upgrade we have done is replace all 30 frickin' windows with supposedly better efficiency ones to the tune of a brazillion dollars to reduce our utility costs/use...You've probably heard the commercials of the company GUARANTEEING you a 40% reduction on your heating/cooling bill? Yeah, what a crock. Our usage, per their study, showed we used 7% MORE the year following the new windows compared to the previous year :rant: WTF - BOHIC for sure on that deal.

Anyway, I'm guessing we aren't doing so bad after all :confused:

MDH33
01-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Everyone except Nakman sounds like they are paying a lot less. Must be the combination of efficient furnaces and good insulation. I know our furnace is old and in need of an upgrade, but we just spent $700 having it cleaned and "tuned up". . . Our bill for 12/13 -1/16 was $560 ! I hope that new windows and a new furnace will help. :o

nakman
01-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Martin I'd suggest you get y'self a nice wood stove insert, with a blower. Then come over in about a month and help me clear some trees.. I've pretty much picked out where I want the play areas and ski slopes to be now. 4 or 5 trailer loads oughta do it, then next winter you can see how long you can go before the heater turns on.

Red_Chili
01-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Martin, a 100K furnace I sold to a fella is coming back, he ran out of money due to some unforeseen small disasters... $400 and it is yours. 90% efficient 100K Bryant. PM me if you want it.

60wag
01-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Wow, everyone except Nakman sounds like they are paying a lot less. Must be the combination of efficient furnaces and good insulation. I know our furnace is old and in need of an upgrade, but we just spent $700 having it cleaned and "tuned up". . . Our bill for 12/13 -1/16 was $560 ! I hope that new windows and a new furnace will help. :o

If the old windows are in bad shape, I would expect to see a significant improvement. I bought my house with the original steel frame, single pane windows and they were bad. The ice that formed on the inside of the glass was a good indication of the heat loss. We replaced the windows with vinyl frame double pane. It made a big difference in how the house feels inside although I haven't ever done a before/after gas usage comparison.

MDH33
01-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Martin I'd suggest you get y'self a nice wood stove insert, with a blower. Then come over in about a month and help me clear some trees.. I've pretty much picked out where I want the play areas and ski slopes to be now. 4 or 5 trailer loads oughta do it, then next winter you can see how long you can go before the heater turns on.

Right on. I was actually looking at new chain saws this week. We have some beetle kill that needs to come down and some thinning in our yard too.

Martin, a 100K furnace I sold to a fella is coming back, he ran out of money due to some unforeseen small disasters... $400 and it is yours. 90% efficient 100K Bryant. PM me if you want it.

PM'd you, and got your reply, thanks. :thumb:

If the old windows are in bad shape, I would expect to see a significant improvement. I bought my house with the original steel frame, single pane windows and they were bad. The ice that formed on the inside of the glass was a good indication of the heat loss. We replaced the windows with vinyl frame double pane. It made a big difference in how the house feels inside although I haven't ever done a before/after gas usage comparison.

Yeah, they are old aluminum framed cheap-o windows. I did some quick price checks and it looks like new windows are going to be one of the most expensive upgrades we do. :o I guess I'll be learning how to install my own windows. :)

Maddmatt
01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
.03 here, this thread is making me feel better. We run a new 50gal. hot water heater, forced air heat and the fireplace on natural gas. Fireplace is on virtually all the time.

Programmable thermostat, set to 65 from 8:00pm to 6:00am, 68 from 6:00am to 9:00am, back down to 65 for the day and then back up to 68 at 5:00pm.

Very old furnace, but this thread's evidence is telling me it's doing all right.

-Matt

ps: and Oh yeah, all windows (27) were replaced last year for double pane, vinyl clad, Low E, blah blah blah windows. Cost about the same as one child's college education, but we'll make it all back by saving $27 per year on gas bills.

corsair23
01-29-2008, 11:54 AM
ps: and Oh yeah, all windows (27) were replaced last year for double pane, vinyl clad, Low E, blah blah blah windows. Cost about the same as one child's college education, but we'll make it all back by saving $27 per year on gas bills.

You too huh? Yeah, if we stay in our homes for the next 400 years the windows will have paid for themselves :D

BTW, the company we used is being sued by the state for false advertising :rolleyes: - Go figure

corsair23
01-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, they are old aluminum framed cheap-o windows. I did some quick price checks and it looks like new windows are going to be one of the most expensive upgrades we do. :o I guess I'll be learning how to install my own windows. :)

Martin, if you replace your windows let me know. My co-worker's son that does roofs did my co-worker's windows last year. They installed them together and he said it wasn't that bad. Not sure but he might be able to get you windows cheaper on contractor pricing and give you tips/tricks on installation.

MDH33
01-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Martin, if you replace your windows let me know. My co-worker's son that does roofs did my co-worker's windows last year. They installed them together and he said it wasn't that bad. Not sure but he might be able to get you windows cheaper on contractor pricing and give you tips/tricks on installation.

Very Cool, thanks! I'll get the info when we get closer.

RockRunner
01-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Nak, if you need trees cleared let me know. We try to get three cords of wood for every winter. If you need any trees cleared we can help. :thumb:

Cheeseman
01-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Jan bill was $118. Gas and Electric. Gas portion is $22. Ranch with 1900 main floor and 1200 basement. All are heated. 68 deg during day (6am-10pm). 62 deg night. So math sez .04 for total and .01 for gas portion. Gotta love sleeping on a heated water bed.
________
Face humping (http://www.****tube.com/video/21033/beautiful-busty-lesbian-babes-face-humping-and-licking-*****)

60wag
01-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Wow, that's low. Do you have a wood burning fireplace?

waggoner5
01-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Our home was built in 04 and it comes out to .037, which sounds good to me. We keep the whole house at 68 during the day and drop to 65 at night. We do use a programmable thermostat though.

Cheeseman
01-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Nope, no fire place. Gas forced air. The house was built in 1960. Back then the theory was that you didn't need any insulation in the walls cuz the great Colorado sun we all know and enjoy will heat the house up during the day and wallah. I have insulated many walls since we moved with room rebuild projects and that has helped alot. But still need to do something in the attic area. New windows would also be nice. But there we go with those projects again.
________
Handjob Mature (http://www.****tube.com/categories/681/mature/videos/1)