PDA

View Full Version : FJ60 PS Gear Box Rebuild

Shark Bait
01-29-2008, 07:51 AM
My FJ60 PS gear box in my 40 puked all over the floor down at Jim's place the other day. Can't really see where it's leaking. Are they difficult to rebuild? The complete gasket/seal kit is $130. :eek: I could buy another used gear box for less, probably. :(

subzali
01-29-2008, 07:57 AM
TJ's built a couple - there's a kit for sale on MUD I think right now.

60wag
01-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I had two 60 steering boxes leak at the input shaft seal. Replacing just the seal (oring) solved the problem. I've got a set of custom spanner wrenches for setting the bearing cup and lock nut if you want to use them.

Shark Bait
01-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Wow. Cool. Thanks Bruce. Are you coming down for the club meeting? Is it something we could do in the parking lot? What part number is the seal in my picture?

I had two 60 steering boxes leak at the input shaft seal. Replacing just the seal (oring) solved the problem. I've got a set of custom spanner wrenches for setting the bearing cup and lock nut if you want to use them.

60wag
01-29-2008, 12:25 PM
#43 is the bearing retainer cup. I think the seal is mounted in it. I'm not sure what #40 is in the picture, maybe its the seal. I can bring the wrenches to the meeting. I wouldn't rec' doing it in the parking lot as the shaft from the steering wheel needs to be removed. I may even have an extra oring left - I check the spares box tonight.

Turtle60
01-29-2008, 02:11 PM
It's been awhile, but I emailed these guys and they offered to rebuild mine for around $150 If I remember. They get lot's of kudos from the people who have used them. They said to throw it in a 5 gallon bucket and UPS ship it to them and they could turn it around in a week, or so.

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/

Shark Bait
01-29-2008, 07:58 PM
#43 is the bearing retainer cup. I think the seal is mounted in it. I'm not sure what #40 is in the picture, maybe its the seal. I can bring the wrenches to the meeting. I wouldn't rec' doing it in the parking lot as the shaft from the steering wheel needs to be removed. I may even have an extra oring left - I check the spares box tonight.

Thanks. :)

60wag
01-30-2008, 05:42 AM
I've got an oring that I think is #35. I don't have the shop manual any more and don't remember exactly what the seal is like that goes against the input shaft. For some reason I think the leaks I had were due to #35. I'll bring the oring and the wrench to the meeting.

powderpig
01-30-2008, 07:08 AM
I seen seal 19 create problems for people in the past, expecially after trying to adjust the steering box play. Any how Chris, clean it up and see where the leak is coming from. No real need to rebuild the whole thing if it is only a small seal leak.