01-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Killer truck Gotta Go $$$$$$
Larry
281-989-4573
Have full detail of truck and plenty of photo's
Don't mind call's or Emails thanks

lkl777
01-29-2008, 09:59 PM
This is the original ad from the guy who sold me the FJ the last part of the description is after I got it and what I have done. lkl777
It's been used in two TV commercials, one for American Express and the other for Mack trucks. This puppy is built like a Mack truck and looks it.
Over the years I've owned a few cruisers and this one is by far the best looking. I've upgraded the seats with brand new, Jeep, Rubicon, high back, gray, faux elephant skin, vinyl adjustable bucket seats, installed a new Tuffy steel, locking, padded, center console vault. a self contained overhead telephone, an overhead, citizen band radio, overhead boxed stereo speakers, water resistant carpeting, front and back, APT TRU TRAC 32" x 11.5" x 15" tires with 98% tread life remaining, ETC,ETC
The original owner installed an expensive Saginaw Power steering System but the pump needs replacing. The 2nd owner removed the smog pump and hoses so it will not pass smog in Calif without the pump being reinstalled (smog pump is provided).
The paint is original and has had quite a few touch ups over the years. A polishing compound and waxing would bring it very close to 'like new'.
Study the fotos closely. What you see is what you get.

THE PRIOR OWNER HAD REPLACED THE ODOMETER AT 70,000 MILES.
THE ODOMETER CURRENTLY READS 28,000 MILES. TOTAL 100,000 MILES

HERE IS A LIST OF WHAT WAS DONE BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. THIS INFORMATION WAS PROVIDED TO ME BY THE MECHANIC WHO DID THE WORK FOR THE PRIOR OWNERS SON.
I HAD THE FJ40 TRAILERED DOWN FROM NORTHERN CALIF TO SOUTHERN CALIF AND HAVE DRIVEN IT LESS THAN A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MILES. IT DRIVES GREAT.

HERE ARE THE EXACT COMMENTS FROM THE MECHANIC RE THE TRUCKS PERFORMANCE BEFORE I BOUGHT IT.

''STARTS, RUNS AND DRIVES WELL, NO DRIVE TRAIN NOISES, EXCELLENT COMPRESSION ALL CYLINDERS, NO ENGINE NOISE, NO SMOKE ON START UP OR WHILE DRIVING, NO LEAKS EITHER.. THE DOORS ALL OPEN AND SHUT WELL, THE HARD TOP IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. BRAKES AND STEERING ARE STRAIGHT AND TRUE. THE VEHICLE HAS NEVER BEEN IN AN ACCIDENT AND HAS NEVER BEEN SMOKED IN.''

HERE'S WHAT THE PRIOR OWNER DID,,,,,,,,,,,.
LIFT KIT
REBUILT 2F, 6 CYL ORIGINAL ENGINE
NEW RADIATOR AND COOLANT FLUSH
NEW IGNITION COIL
NEW WATER PUMP
NEW DISTRIBUTOR
NEW PLUGS, WIRES, CAP AND ROTOR
NEW TAIL LIGHT LENSES
NEW DRIVER SIDE DOOR HANDLE
AUXILLIARY 24 GALLON FUEL TANK
'BUTCHBUILT' SAGINAW POWER STEERING CONVERSION (NEEDS NEW PUMP)
4+HD FRONT WINCH BUMPER W/ WINCH AND FAIRLEAD MOUNTING PLATES
TRAILER HITCH 2" BALL W/ CONNECTION FOR TRAILER LIGHTS

HERE'S WHAT I'VE ADDED BEYOND RESTORATION,,,,,,,

# NEW HEAVY DUTY BATTERY
# SMITTYBUILT ROOF RACK
# NEW MASTER CYLINDER HYDRAULIC CLUTCH
# WIRE HEADLIGHT STONE GUARDS
# LUND 5 LIGHT, MOON VISOR
# ORIGINAL MACK BULLDOG HOOD ORNAMENT
# AM/FM CD PLAYER W/ 2 BOXED SPEAKERS MOUNTED OVER HEAD
# CITIZEN BAND MULTI CHANNEL RADIO AND ANTENNAE
# TELEPHONE MOUNTED OVERHEAD
# NEW DRIVER AND PASSENGER HIGH BACK VINYL SEATS WITH BOLSTERS
# NEW TUFFY CENTER CONSOLE STEEL, LOCKING VAULT
# EXTRA GRAB HANDLES FOR EASY ENTRY AND SECURITY
# MOUNTED FIRE EXTINGUISHER
# WATER AND MOULD RESISTANT CARPET THROUGHOUT
# FJ40 GRAPHICS
# FENDER MOUNTED FREEWAY CONVEX TRUCK MIRRORS
# NEWER MODEL FJ40 DOOR MIRRORS
# SPARE TIRE LOCK AND KEY
# DASH MOUNT TACHOMETER
# NEW WIPER BLADES
# NEW 20 TON HYDRAULIC BOTTLE JACK
# NEW CHROME LUG WRENCH
# NEW COPPER BOOSTER CABLES
# NEW FOG LAMPS
# NEW HOOD LOCK AND HASP
# NEW FRONT BUMPER PUSH BAR
# NEW 4SPD SHIFT BOOT
# 4 NEW RUBBER FLOOR MATS
# NEW CLUTCH, BRAKE AND GAS PEDAL COVERS
# REAR WHEEL FENDER FLARES
# NEW EASY GRIP SHIFT KNOB
# WINDSHIELD SUNSHADE
# GATES STATIC STRIP
# THE 'CLUB' STEERING WHEEL SECURITY BAR
# ORIGINAL 1976 TOYOTA FJ40 DRIVERS HANDBOOK
# AND A SET OF APT TRUE TRAC 32" x 11.5" x 15" tires with 98% tread life remaining,

IF I MAKE THIS FJ40 SOUND GREAT, IT IS, BUT IT ISN'T BRAND NEW. THERE ARE ADJUSTMENTS TO BE MADE. THE TRUCK SHOULD BE TUNED UP, OIL CHANGED AND LUBED (6 NIPPLES), TIMING ADJUSTED AND WIRING COMPLETED ON THE TACH, THE CB, THE TELEPHONE AND THE FOG LIGHTS.
All the above before I purchased FJ below is what I did I'm the 4th owner lkl777
This is what I did after I got it to make it as it was stated all the above is what the ad I bought it from stated.
When I got it leaked like a siv ran like @#*!@# was missing the bell housing gaurd exsposed flywheel he drilled holes in a perfectly good top to mount some strange things hardly anything worked on it
I fixed the instrument cluster
oil and gas, temp & alt, gauges work now
as well as the lights
Adjusted valves
reset distributer into correct worm drive position
treated block FFA Approved additive that I get at the base flushed the block changed oil twice Chevron 10/40
Did a compression check #2 was the only 1 out of range 50psi rings not seated properly
held compression no blow by inspected cylinders they have been bored over ran enough # 2 will pick up
side freeze plug weeps Have replacement exspandable type 10 min fix
fixed wipers, washer, defroster, fan speeds
replaced valve cover gasket,side inspection plate as well as oil pan {with OEM 1 Peice gasket} after cleaning and sanding painting all of them.
No leaks now runs well buyer for my truck petered out on the deal after I bouhgt the fj
now I have to sell it most of what the dip@*#! that sold it to me was true in his mind. It is a solid truck and in good condition now the interior is bang up and the engine is dry I greased every zirt with marine grade lithium grease all joints are good could use a set of shocks but since I did not sell my truck I've gone as far as I can with it was not going to @#*! somebody like I got it now it's worth what I paid for it. But it is 31yrs old still solid did do a little rock climbing hell I had to get some fun out of it. Any questions call now it's worth the $ I'm a retired LT. Col. I would also urge you to check it out for yourself if you buy it you come here and don't like it I'll give you your $ back if you come here. No mistake only selling due to non sale of mine High payment can't afford to keep it it will be insured as long as I have it I've built more engines than most men have been alive it is as I say it is come find out for yourself still comes with everything he sent with it + new set of window regulators fixed the ones it it but now there is a spare set There is a complete set of engine and engine factory lables for the differant componets under the hood left them off for whoever buy's it. You might do more detailing thr breather assembly could use a stripping and paint then install the labels.
also I can provide a list of companies as well as clubs to get new or used parts and to swap info it is how I was able to get the 1pc. OEM oil pan gasket. And oriely's , standard as well as auto zone can get parts included is an parts catalouge. If I had kept it would have replaced all door and window seals rubberized the under body correctly. needs a fuel door lock or just redo the existing as well the drivers rear door linkage needs to be hooked up and the rear door lock needs rebuilt. All glass is eithewr new as well as the seals no chips or cracks 281-989-4573 Col Lambert
Thanks also have a great deal more pic's --- P.S And The ADDITIVE I used is the only FFA APPROVED OUT THERE IT is what is put in every jet military or otherwise I drove over a piece of rod iron in Freeport drove my Jeep back to houston no oil cost me a rebuild but the stuff works no slick 50 bull
lkl777

lkl777
01-30-2008, 01:27 PM
YOU guy's are cold and yes 9k you buy cheap steak you eat cheap steak kinda like the second time I got shot don't know if it hurt worse than the 1st time but at least I have the bullit to remind that the other guy got to eat real good you get what you pay for And Ben hell man I take copper wouldn't be the first time
I hpoe nobody read this an took offense. The point I was making came from a pretty scarry event the fellow that shot me had a good weapon but soviat ammo is not the most dependable that is the only reason I'm still breathing his jammed and I had time to gather my wits poor guy bad day at black rock for him. American depenability as well as quality control saved my rear. That was the analogy of the steak it was not meant in any way to be a confrontational response. If it was offensive my sincere apologies to anyone who may have read it. I'm a prety staight forward man and I have found past exsperiances to be benificial but no malicios intent

MDH33
01-30-2008, 01:43 PM
YOU guy's are cold.

:D :beer:

Email pics to:

fj60cruiser (at) gmail.com and I'll host/post them for you. :thumb:

lkl777
01-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks Martin

Jacket
01-30-2008, 02:28 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/IMG_2785.jpg

MDH33
01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Larry emailed some pics of his 40. :thumb:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249178064-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249178151-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249177988-M.jpghttp://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249178004-M.jpghttp://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249178036-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249177965-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249177946-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249178090-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249177926-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249178120-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/249178265-M.jpg

Hulk
01-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Looks like a solid 40. I dig the blue valve cover.

What's up with the glove box blockage?

Beater
01-30-2008, 04:58 PM
hawaii plates and no red dirt?

hmmmm

corsair23
01-30-2008, 05:59 PM

What's up with the glove box blockage?

x2. Nice looking 40. I apologize for my earlier posts...Sometimes we just like to have fun and don't realize that some folks might not realize it is all in good fun :o

Are the louvers on the doors for look or are they functional?

Matt, isn't that just a grab bar in front of the glove box? Maybe the angle of the shot makes it look like it would block opening the glove box :confused:

Rzeppa
01-30-2008, 09:07 PM

What's up with the glove box blockage?That's actually in the exact same spot as the oh-$hit bar I got from SOR and is in my 71. It looks like it's in the way but when the glovebox door pivots down it clears.

I see there was some, er, moderation going on in this thread so I'll keep my comments minimal. I saw that it had Rubicon seats and was going to make a j**p jab, but they may well be nice. I like that it has the original engine. The compression number on #2 seems likely a broken ring(s), less likely but easily diagnosable would be a broken/burnt/totally out of adjustment valve. From my experience, broken rings and broken valves (small pieces thereof) often score the inside of the cylinder wall requiring reboring. But you knew that :-)

What's cool about these engines is even with 1/3 factory compression they will still run like a top. I'd much rather deal with a leaky piston or bad valve than deal with the body cancer so common in this vintage of this model. Speaking of common issues, how is the wiring harness? What's been done to it and what hasn't?

The components under the hood are really nice and clean. When I shop for an old Land Cruiser, I spend a lot of time under the hood before I even take it for a test drive. I'd like to have a better look under the hood of this 40.

Scrolling back, I'm missing location? I wouldn't mind coming to take a look at it if it's not too far.

Even if there are a few remaining issues, even if they turn out to take a fair amount of time and money to resolve, from what I've seen it looks like this is a pretty nice rig, and I wouldn't be too surprised if it fetches the asking price.

Hulk
01-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Matt, isn't that just a grab bar in front of the glove box?

That's actually in the exact same spot as the oh-$hit bar I got from SOR and is in my 71. It looks like it's in the way but when the glovebox door pivots down it clears.

You guys are so right. I thought it was part of the roll cage!

I have the same bar from SOR in chrome.

corsair23
01-30-2008, 11:39 PM
The components under the hood are really nice and clean. When I shop for an old Land Cruiser, I spend a lot of time under the hood before I even take it for a test drive. I'd like to have a better look under the hood of this 40.

Scrolling back, I'm missing location? I wouldn't mind coming to take a look at it if it's not too far.

Zepp, I'm thinking the rig is in Webster TX :D - just outside of Houston

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/531298408.html

lkl777
01-31-2008, 08:21 AM
The # 2 cyl. is not scored when I had the oil pan off it is smooth and it has been reringed maybe the put the rings to the piston on incorrectly but the last time I ckecked it it had picked up 15 psi. The guy I bought it from is 72 yrs. old and his health failing he never drove it much hurt his back thats were the rubicon seats came into play and the wiring is decent right turn signal having a problem but it may be the light swicth not for sure call or Email me and I can provide more engine compartment photos or any others and you are correct in the fact that they still pull like gangbusters on 4 or 5 cylinders but this one runs on all six spent many yrs. in Africa & middle east it was the vehichle of choice not for sure but seems to have a lot in common with a chevy 235 6cyl. And the glovebox opens fine there is even the orininal maintenance book bad shape though the book that is! Oh forgot the vales are adjusted did it to spect but had to tweak them it will need a valve job they are burnt + 2 of the tappets worn but there is no blow buy nor bleed off of cyl pressure they all maintained pressure for 5 min. And it is in Webste buy Johnson space Center if you come will show Tx hospitality U-can bunk at our house it not a mansion but it is rather nice the only problem you may have are our mutt's putting you to sleep while they beg to be on your lap and there is a killer mud hole to go drive it
Larry
281-989-4573

lkl777
01-31-2008, 08:22 AM
And Matt
Thanks for helping with the photos
Larry

lkl777
01-31-2008, 08:42 AM
It never was on the island Bart the dude I bought it from was plannig to take it back and registered it there don't ask me how but I can get some dirt on it for ya no prob and man I did not take offense to the comment's mud slinging is what it is is. Heck if you can't rib somebody would get boring but thanks for letting me know did make me blink to tell the truth
Larry

lkl777
01-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Jeff the door louvers are cosmetic I thought abought making the functioal just didn't have the heart to cut into the doors the 2 floor vents work great as fer as letting fresh air in.
Thanks for asking
Larry:D

lkl777
02-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Need flywheel cover 76 fj 2f 4spd for bottom of tranny and company that sell front & rear doorseals:rant:

timmbuck2
02-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Need flywheel cover 76 fj 2f 4spd for bottom of tranny and company that sell front & rear doorseals:rant:

I have a few bellhousings lying around now, I bet I have a flywheel cover. :)

T

corsair23
02-01-2008, 12:56 PM
...and company that sell front & rear doorseals:rant:

SOR or CCOT for doorseals/weather stripping. You may even still be able to get OEM from Toyota, don't remember.

subzali
02-01-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Toyota still sells it; IIRC that's actually the best place to buy them.

lkl777
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all the help but as this mornig it may be gone if not will check out everything I hate selling something not finished I take pride in that
You guy's are a cut above

lkl777
02-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Matt again thanks for all you help as well as Jackal
Sold last night to a young lady who could not stop screaming as we went bogging. Maybe onw day I will get up there and you can show me how it's done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry
281-989-4573
lklambert@comcast.net
And I can take you fishing:D