PDA

View Full Version : how do I get this mirror off?

nakman
01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
This sucker must be glued on.. I've hammered some door shims in behind it, and can hear some "stress" but nothing's popping loose. I don't want to bend it too much more, or it's going to make a heck of a mess that I'll probably never completely clean up.. let alone the bad luck thing.

dimensions are 5' wide and 3' high, anyone want it? Come get it :D I need it out of my life..

Uncle Ben
01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Warm it up and soften the glue!

nakman
01-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Interesting... like a propane torch?

I guess if the glass cracks, well then I won't have to worry about cracking the glass anymore. :lmao:

timmbuck2
01-29-2008, 09:16 PM
piano wire or other strong thin wire....slide it behind the mirror like a cheese cutter and slice the glue away from the mirror and the wall. a little trick I learned from remodeling a few bathrooms. :)

T

nakman
01-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh man the gears are really turning now.. great stuff, thanks!

Uncle Ben
01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
piano wire or other strong thin wire....slide it behind the mirror like a cheese cutter and slice the glue away from the mirror and the wall. a little trick I learned from remodeling a few bathrooms. :)

T

Cool! Great tip! I have fought with these bastids several times and heat brings your average of non broken mirrors vrs shattered mirrors up by quite a bit. Your solution is brilliant! :bowdown:

Tim....you can use a propane torch if ya want......advantage of getting it that hot that fast would be the wounds would already be cauterized so maybe you wont bleed too much! :eek: Heating it up with a hair dryer or heat gun gets it hot enough so when you succeed at pulling it from the wall un-broken you quickly realize the smoke coming from your hands but at least it's closer to the floor after you drop it! :eek: :lmao:

timmbuck2
01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
get 2 small dowels to wrap the wire around to use as handles, or drill a hole through for the wire, then wrap around them. should come right off, and will be fun. :)

Romer
01-29-2008, 10:02 PM
get 2 small dowels to wrap the wire around to use as handles, or drill a hole through for the wire, then wrap around them. should come right off, and will be fun. :)

Then put it by your bedside so you can use it on any intruders:eek:

nakman
01-29-2008, 10:07 PM

dude, what are you doing on Saturday? you like cheap beer, right? :D

60wag
01-30-2008, 05:36 AM
You might try also covering it with duct or packing tape to keep the pieces contained while removing it.

Beater
01-30-2008, 06:40 AM
use a hair dryer... glass doesn't like heat when it has metal (silver) behind it...

j

timmbuck2
01-30-2008, 11:13 AM
dude, what are you doing on Saturday? you like cheap beer, right? :D

I like expensive beer. I will drink anything though. :) Saturday could work, will check with the :Princess:

T

RockRunner
01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Use a heat gun and the piano wire trick, works everytime. Just make sure you have an extra set of hands to hold the other end when you get to the end. You don't want seven years of bad luck.

nakman
02-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Kinda slackin' on the follow up here, sorry about that been up working on the bathroom all week. We tried the wire but the adhesive was too much, so ended up taping it up for a "controlled break" then it came off in 5 pieces. Thanks again Timmbuck for the hand! :thumb:

see if you can spot him in the picture... :D