PDA

View Full Version : *Fourth Annual Ghost Town Run!* July 19th & 20, 2008

Groucho
01-31-2008, 09:34 PM
It is time again to plan for one of the most exciting runs of the year! The Ghost Town Run! This year marks the fourth annual run, and we intend to make it another great one!
We are going to re-trace our roots, and re-run the very first GTR route again. We will start out meeting either at the Geocut at the Morrison exit off of I-70, where the convoy will begin, or in Johnson Village(Just south of Buena Vista at the intersection of US40 and US285) on Saturday, July 19th 2008.

This is an overnight trip and we will camp in the Middle Quartz Campground where, during the original run in 2005, we had the entire CG to ourselves. We end up visiting the towns of Tincup, St Elmo, and Pitkin, and going over passes such as Hancock, Tincup and Cumberland. We also make that awesome trip to the west portal of the Alpine tunnel, which was once the nations highest railroad tunnels that also crossed the continental divide. Originally part of the Denver South Park & Pacific railroad, it was an engineering feat that still holds awe and imagination for all generations.

We will be looking to camp friday night in the campground for those folks interested, and then meeting everyone at the truckstop in Johnson Village on saturday morning.

If the camping situation is the same as the first year, we will have plenty of camping spots. Please stay tuned for more details, and post up if you, your families and dogs are going to make it!!

Plus we might be the subject of a very famous author's book--But don't let that out just yet!

nuclearlemon
01-31-2008, 10:00 PM
sweet! i hope to be in.

Red_Chili
02-01-2008, 07:39 AM
That should work for me and mine. Mebbe even a couple young Shelties! If current experience is any indication, the fun factor will be multiplied.

Romer
02-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Nathaniel - how do the logistics work for bringing campers? Are you camping in the same campground Friday, doing the run then going back to the campground and leaving for Home Sunday?

timmbuck2
02-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Just put this on the calendar...just me, looking for a run to bring the family, but she will be about 8 months pregnant for this trip!!! :)

T

Red_Chili
02-01-2008, 08:28 AM
:eek:

+1 on whether a popup camper would work. FWIW, I do believe I could tow a camper over Hancock and Tincup. Never done Cumberland.

subzali
02-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Ooo...ahhh...

Groucho
02-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Nathaniel - how do the logistics work for bringing campers? Are you camping in the same campground Friday, doing the run then going back to the campground and leaving for Home Sunday?

Campers would do ok, but the CG is not overwhelmed with large spaces. Yes, same CG for both Friday and Saturday. **The run itself is just an overnight on Saturday. ** Some of us like to go up the night before, but that means that we are up early to meet eveyone else on Saturday morning. The good thing about the CG is that it is not easily accessable to the Geo Tracker folks, and there are many spaeces just outside the CG "proper" that we used the first trip that were technically "primitive" spaces. The CG itself is is just south of CO 839 which is the road that leads from Pitkin to the west portal of the Alpine Tunnel. The road is actually CO 767, and it goes off almost 3 miles on its own and dead ends into a loop. See the link.
Middle Quartz Creek CG (http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&t=l&map=38.61167,-106.49472|13|4&loc=US:38.61167:-106.49472:13#t=l&map=38.61406,-106.4567|14|4&loc=:38.62046:-106.42031:14||)
Maximize the screen, Pitkin is to the far left, and the red circle is where the CG is. CO 839 is visible above the road to the CG, and that is how we come into the CG from Hancock Pass.
I will be staging a recon party to get some good detailed fotos of the CG later on as spring snow melts.

Just put this on the calendar...just me, looking for a run to bring the family, but she will be about 8 months pregnant for this trip!!! :)

T
We will have (for the second time!) our 3-4 mo old with us. During the first GTR, we had Emilee with us, who also was 3-4 months old. It was a chilly 45 overnight at 9500 feet above sea level, and she did awesome bundled up. Congrats!
:eek:

+1 on whether a popup camper would work. FWIW, I do believe I could tow a camper over Hancock and Tincup. Never done Cumberland.

Bill, I think that Tincup Pass is by far the most difficult that we will be doing. Hancock is a close second in terms of difficulty, and Cumberland is everything but paved.

Corbet
02-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm in if time permits.

With all this camper talk I assume a stock 80 will do just fine?

bh4rnnr
02-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm in. And it looks like my GF will be in town for the run:cool:. Planning on having the 4runner ready for the trip:):beer:

Groucho
02-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Middle Quartz Creek/Pitkin Campground -

*** This area is shown on pages 58 & 59 on the Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer "Topo Maps of the Entire State" *** or on MapQuest on the internet (zoom in, zoom out, pan any direction, or select "road map" for directions)[/URL]

To get there, you continue West on highway 50 past Sargent; turn right (North) onto county road 76 at Parlin. You go through Ohio and Pitkin. After Pitkin, it becomes Forest Road 765. About 1 mile past Pitkin (I didn't measure it) is Pitkin Campground, a Forest Service "Fee" campground ($12). (Pitkin Campground has a lot of pull-through spaces and room for larger campers, clean toilets with lights, trash dumpsters, and grey-water dump station. This Campground is a backup, but is usually full.) Additional camp sites are along Middle Quartz Creek. Just go about 1/2 mile past Pitkin Campground, cross a cattle-guard, and turn right at the "Middle Quartz Creek" sign. The road follows Middle Quartz Creek up a valley where there are nice, open areas for free primitive camping, and there is another Forset Service "fee" campground (Middle Quartz Creek CG) at the top of the valley. This area is right at the base of Williams Pass, Hancock Pass, Alpine Tunnel, etc.

corsair23
02-01-2008, 11:44 AM

What about a RTT :D

Something about pulling a camper up over Monarch Pass makes me cringe a little...sloooooowwwww

treerootCO
02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I would like to make this run.

Romer
02-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm in. And it looks like my GF will be in town for the run:cool:. Planning on having the 4runner ready for the trip:):beer:

Some how I think we will be seeing a different Perry than the GTR in 2006

cbmontgo
02-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Sounds like a great trip. I should be living in Denver by then; I will try to make this my maiden voyage with you guys...

corsair23
02-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Sounds like a great trip. I should be living in Denver by then; I will try to make this my maiden voyage with you guys...

:cool: - Bring your trailer with the RTT :thumb:

This sounds like the PERFECT trip for a trailer with a RTT. Hmmm...I have a little trailer...And I have a RTT... Find a willing:weld:and I might be golden :hill:...I keep waiting for Drew to finish mine that he has been building but :confused: :lmao:

cbmontgo
02-02-2008, 06:37 AM
:cool: - Bring your trailer with the RTT :thumb:

This sounds like the PERFECT trip for a trailer with a RTT. Hmmm...I have a little trailer...And I have a RTT... Find a willing:weld:and I might be golden :hill:...I keep waiting for Drew to finish mine that he has been building but :confused: :lmao:

Oh, I'll definitely bring it. I think it will be perfect for some mild weather camping. We just got back from a trip with it last weekend. I have really enjoyed the convenience of it.

If you can't get a welder on board, you can always buy some time by building a deck out of plywood. That's what I did, and it has held up perfectly for a couple of years now.

psfpilot
02-07-2008, 02:21 PM
:thumb: Please count us in for two people, one vehicle.

Do you use ham, CB, GMRS/FMRS, or all of the above for trail communication?

...With all this camper talk I assume a stock 80 will do just fine?
Corbet, I PM'd Groucho about that issue, and here's what he said:
This run is not by any means difficult. Very few close trees where pinstriping would be a major concern. These roads are all forest service roads, many actually were old railroad grades, so spacing on the sides is much more than needed for a Cruiser. It is a lot of fun, and anyone with a stock LandCruiser and reasonable driving skills will not have a hint of worry. It is geared to be a family run, with more scenic and historical value than wheeling. 4WD is only necessary on one or two short places, and those are all bypass-able, so I think it is right up the alley of what you were looking for.

farnhamstj
02-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Farnham's family is in. I loved that run. Excect for the hail storm at and lightning 11,000 ft. Stock 100 had no issues.

lfd270ben
02-28-2008, 12:43 AM
I am in Now I just need to find a dolly to tow my 40 on.

Jacket
02-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Some how I think we will be seeing a different Perry than the GTR in 2006
I don't even know Perry, but that's just plain funny!

This sounds like a great trip, but I'll be in Michigan that weekend. Hopefully next time....

MDH33
02-28-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm going to try and make this run this year and hopefully bring Kim along too. She likes the scenery and camping more than the wheeling though.

rover67
03-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I am down... will probably have the dog with me again too.

psfpilot
05-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Will there be toilets at the camp sites, or will we need to bring our own?

Groucho
05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Pit toilets at the campsite. Fire rings if fires are not banned. Stream near the site as well. REALLY nice site.

subzali
05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm hoping to come, don't want to miss out on the best Ghost Town Run I think there has been so far. Camp Hale was a lot of fun too though, going to try and get back up there this summer.

Rezarf
05-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Groucho- can someone pull say, an offroad trailer through this stuff?

Drew

Mendocino
05-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Groucho- can someone pull say, an offroad trailer through this stuff?

Drew

Is it going to be painted by then?:rolleyes:

Rezarf
05-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Is it going to be painted by then?:rolleyes:

Are you going to show up to see it?:rolleyes: :thumb: :lmao:

Mendocino
05-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Are you going to show up to see it?:rolleyes: :thumb: :lmao:

Ouch, that hurts! :eek:

If I can solve all my gear oil leaks and get rid of my ridiculous propeller crossmember I will.:)

psfpilot
05-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Pit toilets at the campsite. Fire rings if fires are not banned. Stream near the site as well. REALLY nice site.

By pit, do you mean dig your own cat hole, or an established outhouse?
Also, is it possible and permissible to gather firewood from the vicinity of the campsite?

We are looking forward to kicking off our vacation in style with you folks. It will be refreshing to leave behind the summer heat of the high plains for the mountain views and cool breezes.

nakman
05-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Also, is it possible and permissible to gather firewood from the vicinity of the campsite?

We are looking forward to kicking off our vacation in style with you folks. It will be refreshing to leave behind the summer heat of the high plains for the mountain views and cool breezes.

Pit toilet is established outhouse, usually you can find wood but it's easier to just bring an armload with... I should be able to scrounge a little up. ;)

And we're in, hopefully both nights but for sure Saturday, should be a great RTT opportunity. :thumb:

Groucho
05-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Pit toilet is established outhouse, usually you can find wood but it's easier to just bring an armload with... I should be able to scrounge a little up. ;)
:thumb:

Exactly. They are also known as Vault toilets. Basically campground outhouses.

RedCreeper
05-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Have a few questions. First on a scale of 1-5 how tuff is this run? We just got a New FJ and would like to get out but not beat it up. It is a trail team edition so it has the A-trac and rear locker. I leave the harder stuff for my Jeep when and if it gets done. I know no 4 letter words sorry for that. I have been here a year and used to run with the Baltimore 4 wheeler in MD and i am looking for a club here to go play with. This run sounds like fun and i would like to bring the family. Any information would be great. thanks.

Hulk
05-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Your FJ will be fine on this run. On a 5 point scale it's a 2.

RedCreeper
05-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks Hulk, Need to get a roof rack but sounds like fun. I am going to try to make it.

nuclearlemon
06-05-2008, 11:00 AM
a customer from work would like to come. him and his kid, maybe his wife also.

MDH33
06-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Nathaniel, is there a limit on this run? I counted 20 rigs signed on in this thread so far.

ttubb
06-10-2008, 05:23 PM
If there is still room, I would like to join up. I met several of you last year at the Ouray-Telluride run. Really enjoyed the group. Terry:cheers:

subzali
06-15-2008, 08:23 AM
We had over 30 trucks on the Snow and Pizza run a few years ago, I'm sure we can handle more on these easy forest roads... :D

Groucho
06-16-2008, 08:44 AM
We are nearing a cap for vehicles! Please post up soon if you plan to go, or if you are in the "unsure" crowd, please indicate if you are a go or no-go. We usually have 5% or so fallout by the day we go, but we need to know so we can plan for how many!

List of folks I have as indicating they are going (A ? indicates unsure):
1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon?
3.Nuclearlemon's friend from work
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Corbet?
7.BH4rnnr
8.Treeroot
9.CBmontgo
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino?
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk?

It is time again to plan for one of the most exciting runs of the year! The Ghost Town Run! This year marks the fourth annual run, and we intend to make it another great one!
We are going to re-trace our roots, and re-run the very first GTR route again. We will start out meeting either at the Geocut at the Morrison exit off of I-70, where the convoy will begin, or in Johnson Village(Just south of Buena Vista at the intersection of US40 and US285) on Saturday, July 19th 2008.

This is an overnight trip and we will camp in the Middle Quartz Campground where, during the original run in 2005, we had the entire CG to ourselves. We end up visiting the towns of Tincup, St Elmo, and Pitkin, and going over passes such as Hancock, Tincup and Cumberland. We also make that awesome trip to the west portal of the Alpine tunnel, which was once the nations highest railroad tunnels that also crossed the continental divide. Originally part of the Denver South Park & Pacific railroad, it was an engineering feat that still holds awe and imagination for all generations.

We will be looking to camp friday night in the campground for those folks interested, and then meeting everyone at the truckstop in Johnson Village on saturday morning.

If the camping situation is the same as the first year, we will have plenty of camping spots. Please stay tuned for more details, and post up if you, your families and dogs are going to make it!!

Plus we might be the subject of a very famous author's book--But don't let that out just yet!

Campers would do ok, but the CG is not overwhelmed with large spaces. Yes, same CG for both Friday and Saturday. **The run itself is just an overnight on Saturday. ** Some of us like to go up the night before, but that means that we are up early to meet eveyone else on Saturday morning. The good thing about the CG is that it is not easily accessable to the Geo Tracker folks, and there are many spaeces just outside the CG "proper" that we used the first trip that were technically "primitive" spaces. The CG itself is is just south of CO 839 which is the road that leads from Pitkin to the west portal of the Alpine Tunnel. The road is actually CO 767, and it goes off almost 3 miles on its own and dead ends into a loop. See the link.
Middle Quartz Creek CG (http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&t=l&map=38.61167,-106.49472|13|4&loc=US:38.61167:-106.49472:13#t=l&map=38.61406,-106.4567|14|4&loc=:38.62046:-106.42031:14||)
Maximize the screen, Pitkin is to the far left, and the red circle is where the CG is. CO 839 is visible above the road to the CG, and that is how we come into the CG from Hancock Pass.
I will be staging a recon party to get some good detailed fotos of the CG later on as spring snow melts.

We will have (for the second time!) our 3-4 mo old with us. During the first GTR, we had Emilee with us, who also was 3-4 months old. It was a chilly 45 overnight at 9500 feet above sea level, and she did awesome bundled up. Congrats!

Tincup Pass is by far the most difficult that we will be doing. Hancock is a close second in terms of difficulty, and Cumberland is everything but paved. Any stock rig with a capable driver will not have any issue with the terrain.

wesintl
06-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm in fo sur

nuclearlemon
06-16-2008, 09:13 AM
I'l be there...although if anyone from state association asks, i'm on a business trip..i'm skipping a board meeting for this:D

Jethro
06-16-2008, 06:45 PM
If there is room, can I go?

MDH33
06-16-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm definitely in. Kim and I were just down that way this weekend. Awesome trails and great scenery! We'll be bringing the FJ60 hopefully. :beer:

Three Wheel Ben
06-16-2008, 08:59 PM
The whole fam dam is in! No blue tarp this time though.

RedCreeper
06-17-2008, 11:57 PM
We still in, 2 Adults, 1 4yr old (her first trip) and 2 dogs. one you will never know is there. so how many will fit in a Fj Cruiser.....

Groucho
06-18-2008, 09:54 AM
We are nearing a cap for vehicles! Please post up soon if you plan to go, or if you are in the "unsure" crowd, please indicate if you are a go or no-go. We usually have 5% or so fallout by the day we go, but we need to know so we can plan for how many!

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon?
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Corbet?
7.BH4rnnr
8.Treeroot
9.CBmontgo
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk?
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen

Popup Campers would do ok, but the CG is not overwhelmed with large spaces. Yes, same CG for both Friday and Saturday. **The run itself is just an overnight on Saturday. ** Some of us like to go up the night before, but that means that we are up early to meet eveyone else on Saturday morning. The good thing about the CG is that it is not easily accessable to the Geo Tracker folks, and there are many spaces just outside the CG "proper" that we used the first trip that were technically "primitive" spaces. The CG itself is is just south of CO 839 which is the road that leads from Pitkin to the west portal of the Alpine Tunnel. The road is actually CO 767, and it goes off almost 3 miles on its own and dead ends into a loop. See the link.

We will have (for the second time!) our 3-4 mo old with us. During the first GTR, we had Emilee with us, who also was 3-4 months old. It was a chilly 45 overnight at 9500 feet above sea level, and she did awesome bundled up.

Tincup Pass is by far the most difficult that we will be doing. Hancock is a close second in terms of difficulty, and Cumberland is everything but paved. Any stock rig with a capable driver will not have any issue with the terrain.[/QUOTE]

SteveH
06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm planning on coming on this trip, likely with a friend. Sounds like a blast! I'd just camp on Sat. night.

Steve
'78 FJ40 or '95 FZJ80

bvb
06-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Looks like I'll be able to make it looking at the calendar today! The :Princess: is warming up to the idea of joining us too! I'll stay intouch....

subzali
06-22-2008, 09:48 PM
CJ7 Matt might be down...

Groucho
06-23-2008, 07:01 AM
We are at the cap for vehicles!

Unless someone takes their name off the list, we will place the cap at these 26 names. Please be fair to everyone and post up if you are not definitely in to go. In the past years we have had many no-shows, and I would like to avoid that simply because we have turned folks away. If you can't commit, please open your space up for someone who can.

Look for pictures and a pre-run report hopefully coming before next meeting!

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon?
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Corbet?
7.BH4rnnr
8.Treeroot
9.CBmontgo
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk?
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen
24. Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate
25. BVB
26. WESintl?

Popup Campers would do ok, but the CG is not overwhelmed with large spaces. Yes, same CG for both Friday and Saturday. **The run itself is just an overnight on Saturday. ** Some of us like to go up the night before, but that means that we are up early to meet eveyone else on Saturday morning. The good thing about the CG is that it is not easily accessable to the Geo Tracker folks, and there are many spaces just outside the CG "proper" that we used the first trip that were technically "primitive" spaces. The CG itself is is just south of CO 839 which is the road that leads from Pitkin to the west portal of the Alpine Tunnel. The road is actually CO 767, and it goes off almost 3 miles on its own and dead ends into a loop. See the link.

We will have (for the second time!) our 3-4 mo old with us. During the first GTR, we had Emilee with us, who also was 3-4 months old. It was a chilly 45 overnight at 9500 feet above sea level, and she did awesome bundled up.

Tincup Pass is by far the most difficult that we will be doing. Hancock is a close second in terms of difficulty, and Cumberland is everything but paved. Any stock rig with a capable driver will not have any issue with the terrain.

wesintl
06-23-2008, 09:20 AM
me me me

Groucho
06-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Sorry,Wes, I thought I had you in there somewhere.:D

SteveH
06-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Nathanial,

Per my posting on 6/18 - did I not make the cut? Just wondered.

Steve (SteveH)

SteveH
Locked Join Date: Aug 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm planning on coming on this trip, likely with a friend. Sounds like a blast! I'd just camp on Sat. night.

Steve
'78 FJ40 or '95 FZJ80

Groucho
06-23-2008, 02:01 PM

Unless someone takes their name off the list, we will place the cap at these 27 names. Please be fair to everyone and post up if you are not definitely in to go. In the past years we have had many no-shows, and I would like to avoid that simply because we have turned folks away. If you can't commit, please open your space up for someone who can.

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon?
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Corbet?
7.BH4rnnr
8.Treeroot
9.CBmontgo
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk?
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen
25. BVB
26. WESintl?
27. Steve H

Squishy!
06-23-2008, 03:21 PM
If a place opens up i would definately like to go. :D

nakman
06-25-2008, 11:16 AM
And we're in, hopefully both nights but for sure Saturday, should be a great RTT opportunity. :thumb:

from post 32. And we're still in. :o

Hulk
06-25-2008, 11:19 AM
We're still in. This is Karie's favorite RS event.

bh4rnnr
06-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Well, it's looking like the 4runners not going to be ready for the Ghost Town Run:( . Was able to get the tent, just not the other stuff that was needed in time. I tried convincing Kurt Williams to join us, but was a no go. So i'm happy to offer my spot to who ever can use it.

I'm still planning on going, and would like to ask/bum a ride for the weekend. Don't mind in helping with whatever is needed, gas, food, etc... TIA!

:beer::beer:

nuclearlemon
06-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Well, it's looking like the 4runners not going to be ready for the Ghost Town Run:( . Was able to get the tent, just not the other stuff that was needed in time. I tried convincing Kurt Williams to join us, but was a no go. So i'm happy to offer my spot to who ever can use it.

I'm still planning on going, and would like to ask/bum a ride for the weekend. Don't mind in helping with whatever is needed, gas, food, etc... TIA!

perry, i'll have either the 80 or the wagon with just me and the dogs, so i'll have room. what day are you planning on going? i'm going up friday night probably.

bh4rnnr
06-26-2008, 09:38 PM
perry, i'll have either the 80 or the wagon with just me and the dogs, so i'll have room. what day are you planning on going? i'm going up friday night probably.

Ige, thats when I was wanting to head on out. I dont have much, just myself, a few bits o gear, some other stuff for this year:D and a camera. So I guess if there is room, i'll take it now:):cool::cheers:

Groucho
06-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Perry, I put Tim in your place. If you need any of the stuff at my house, let me know and I'll get it to you. :cheers::thumb::beer: Tim, I did not intentionally forget to put you, I must have missed an entire page!

Unless someone takes their name off the list, we will place the cap at these 27 names. Please be fair to everyone and post up if you are not definitely in to go. In the past years we have had many no-shows, and I would like to avoid that simply because we have turned folks away. If you can't commit, please open your space up for someone who can.

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon?
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Corbet?
7.Nakman
8.Treeroot
9.CBmontgo
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk?
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen
25. BVB
26. WESintl?
27. Steve H

Squishy!
06-27-2008, 10:47 AM
How long is your waiting list?

treerootCO
06-27-2008, 11:02 AM

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon?
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Corbet?
7.Nakman
8.Treeroot
9.CBmontgo
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk?
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen
25. BVB
26. WESintl?
27. Steve H

I am in for sure, maybe takin' the 80

cbmontgo
06-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I have to go to Dallas now that Thursday-Saturday for a company "teambuilding" event and will not be back in town until Saturday afternoon. I'd like to make it late that day, but since we are limited on spots, I'll go ahead and let someone take mine. Man, I was really wanting to go!

Groucho
06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
How long is your waiting list?

Just you Justin, just you! :lmao: If I were you, I'd plan on coming.

I am in for sure, maybe takin' the 80

Schweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

I have to go to Dallas now that Thursday-Saturday for a company "teambuilding" event and will not be back in town until Saturday afternoon. I'd like to make it late that day, but since we are limited on spots, I'll go ahead and let someone take mine. Man, I was really wanting to go!

If you can make it, I will tell you where we will be!!!

Corbet
06-27-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm out.

Will be in the middle of moving to Durango by then. I don't even want to ask the :Princess: for a hall pass.

With any luck you'll see me on the triple bypass and/or ouray trips

Squishy!
06-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Just you Justin, just you! :lmao: If I were you, I'd plan on coming.

cool, I think I'll be bringing my 4runner

Rock Dog
06-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Just got the weekend freed up, and will definitely be there... not sure if the 80 or SQUEAKY runner will be there, but i will be..... probably have an open seat if one is needed, but i plan to head up Friday Night right after work (5:30 - 6:00 ish)

Groucho
06-27-2008, 09:33 PM

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Squishy
7.Nakman
8.Treeroot
9.rock dog
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen
25. BVB
26. WESintl
27. Steve H

Rezarf
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Remove our ? mark Nathaniel, we will be there, trailer in tow! :D

Groucho
06-29-2008, 07:31 PM

Unless someone takes their name off the list, we will place the cap at these 27 names.

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Squishy
7.Nakman
8.Treeroot
9.rock dog
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen
25. BVB
26. WESintl
27. Steve H

Groucho
06-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Called the Gunnison Ranger District office this morning.

Middle Quartz Creek Campground is open.

Cumberland Pass is open.

Hancock Pass and Tincup Pass are both closed with snow. The ranger did mention that If I would have called a week ago to ask about these two passes, he would have said a good chance of being closed untill late July. Since last week, however, he personally has gone up in elevation lately for some work and was surprised at the amount of snow that has melted just in the past week. He asked that I call back weekly so he could give me a better idea of how soon on those two passes. :woot:

Romer
06-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Nathaniel, I am planning on coming, Sarah is out of the country and you know with me its always more than one vehicle. Does that mean Rachel can't come? Sorry I haven't posted earlier was busy smashing my finger reworking the front diff to fix a Rubithon leak :D

So that would be Romer party of two trucks.

nuclearlemon
06-30-2008, 10:36 PM
who all is planning on going friday?

Convert
07-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Nathaniel
Is there any room left ? We were planning on going but had not posted up I was kinda busy getting ready for Rubithon.
Thanks Dan

Groucho
07-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Be aware that not everyone will be in a campground space. The campground has only 5 "official" spots that we will try to at least double up on. That means that some folks will be primitive camping just before the entrace to the campground. There are several of these "primitive" camping spots. The area where we will be camping allows "primitive" camping, so anywhere we can find a spot to put up a tent will suffice.

I will be leaving Thursday morning to head up to the campground with our popup. Kiowa Kate and Bruce Miller will be joining me with their camper. Please post up if you are going to be up there early.

I am doing this in efforts to obtain as many of the spots as possible for us. Like last year, I'll take several tents and put them up in spaces.

I would like to start a discussion to see about having a dinner on saturday night similar to what we did last year. This thread will be posted up soon. Look for it and give your ideas!!

Look for pictures and a pre-run report hopefully coming by July 12th!

List of folks I have as indicating they are going:
1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon
3.Capen4
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Squishy
7.Nakman
8.Treeroot
9.rock dog
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer (x2)
21.Hulk
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen
25. BVB
26. WESintl
27. Steve H

capen4
07-02-2008, 10:24 PM
will be there with family and bells on

capen4
07-03-2008, 11:56 PM
will be there with family and bells on
I am nuclearlemons friend from work

Rezarf
07-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Nathaniel, we are planning on coming out on Friday with our trailer, we can help reserve any spots necessary and then move to a non-tent site for others who need it.

We are excited for this one! One of my fondest wheeling memories!

Drew

wesintl
07-05-2008, 03:26 PM
If anyone is interested I'm going to leave on friday hopefully early. I plan to get down to see if I can run old monarch pass, middle quartz, waunita pass then over tomichi to meet Nathaniels group around romely and the MM mine. 2 meter will be handy.

Any takers?

ttubb
07-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Today I drove from CB to Woodland Park over Cottonwood Pass.

For those planning to top off on fuel prior to meeting at Johnson Village, I suggest filling at Buena Vista versus Johnson Village. Reg Unleaded is $4.02 at BV and $4.26 at Johnson Village. If you happen to be coming through Woodland Park, it is $3.88. Just FYI, Terry

Groucho
07-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks, Terry.

Any takers for Wes' plan for Friday?

So far i seem to see that folks leaving Friday will be
Nuclearlemon
Wes
Rezarf
Wes

Any other that I did not see?

We will be leaving Thursday early. I will be looking for folks as you pull in.
I think we are going to go with the "bring meat for your party and a side dish to share" dinner idea for saturday. Right now I am planning on bringing my gas grill from home, but that may change. The pre-run will help determine if it is necessary.

Jethro
07-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Looks like I'll be driving down on Friday. I need to get away.

MDH33
07-06-2008, 12:01 PM
If anyone is interested I'm going to leave on friday hopefully early. I plan to get down to see if I can run old monarch pass, middle quartz, waunita pass then over tomichi to meet Nathaniels group around romely and the MM mine. 2 meter will be handy.

Any takers?

I'm in Wes, I was planning on heading out early too. Let me know what your thoughts on a time and maybe we can caravan, although I don't know if I can keep pace with the turbo 70. :thumb:

Three Wheel Ben
07-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm in for being down there friday afternoon. I've got a little portable gas grill we could use if needed.

subzali
07-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm planning on running with Wes on Friday, early. Did the meat get voted on Wednesday to be bought by the club?

Romer
07-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Bonni just pointed out on the Calander that we have other plans on that Saturday. I guess I am suppose to look there before I make plans.

So we won't be able to make it. Sounds like a humdinger of an event with more people than we have had on any run before.

Groucho
07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm planning on running with Wes on Friday, early. Did the meat get voted on Wednesday to be bought by the club?

It was voted to be bought by the club on the forum. It would be nice to be able to pick up the meat and have it ready to cook when we get to camp, but I dunno. Maybe you (subzali) and I need to confer about this and come up with a plan.

Bonni just pointed out on the Calander that we have other plans on that Saturday. I guess I am suppose to look there before I make plans.

So we won't be able to make it. Sounds like a humdinger of an event with more people than we have had on any run before.

Sorry to hear that. I am sure we won't have too much fun without you. :D

So now our friday guests are:
Nuclearlemon
Wes
Rezarf
Wes
Martin
Jethro
Lexusben
Subzali
Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate

Convert
07-06-2008, 07:24 PM
BVB and I will meet you at the Saturday morning location after a leisurely night of camping and breakfast at Reinmuth Ranch.

farnhamstj
07-07-2008, 08:57 PM
We'll be arriving friday at the campground also leaving after work. Anyone got a recomendation for quickest/easiest way from Vail pulling a pop-up?

Groucho
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
We'll be arriving friday at the campground also leaving after work. Anyone got a recomendation for quickest/easiest way from Vail pulling a pop-up?

I thin the two ways to get there are over Monarch Pass from Salida down from Leadville to Pitkin, or over Cottonwood Pass to Tincup, then over Cumberland Pass to Pitkin.

Sure bet is Monarch Pass, but Cottonwood and Cumberland are open so says the Gunnison Ranger Distric Road Conditions (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/gmug/recreation/08_rd_condition/gunnison_rds.rtf).

I called again this morning and din't get the same ranger as last time. She seemed to be less than enthused about giving me information about road conditions, but repeated what the above link says. Tincup Pass, Alpine Tunnel and Hancock Pass roads are still closed. Pre run in a couple of days will determine what the plan becomes should the snow block our way two weeks from now.

ttubb
07-09-2008, 05:43 PM

Farnham, I drove to the campground today, from Parlin. It is about 40 minutes from Parlin on mostly paved (til Pitkin) then good dirt roads. There are seven sites, two occupied today but that does not mean anything. Best bet would be Monarch pass I think.

For all, you have to go to the end of the road to the "official" campground, however about one mile prior there are numerous sites if we fill the F/S grounds.

Saw two FJ-40s and one FJ-60 parked in Ohio City. T

Hulk
07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Looks like we won't make the run this year -- my Uncle just called, and he and my Aunt will be in town that weekend. Thanks, and we'll look forward to the pictures.

Groucho
07-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Sorry to hear that, Matt. We will miss the Farr Clan!

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon
3.Capen4
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Squishy
7.Nakman
8.Treeroot
9.rock dog
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer (x2)
21.Jethro
22.LexusBen
23. Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate
24. BVB
25. WESintl
26. Steve H

nakman
07-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Too much to do on Friday night for us to get out in time, so we'll be leaving early Saturday morning and meeting the group in Johnson Village. What time are we to be at Johnson Village, 9:00? If so I'd be willing to "lead" the morning crew from King Soopers in Aspen Park at 07:00, if anyone wants to roll together.

Also, do you still need/want firewood? I can easily toss some on the roof rack, let me know if anyone in the Friday crew wants to come load up.

subzali
07-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Maybe if Martin, Wes and I are rolling through Friday morning we could swing by for some firewood - though it would take 1/2 tank in my 40 to get up to your house from the highway :rolleyes:

nakman
07-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah but you'll get it all back on the way down.. and it's 3.5 miles.

MDH33
07-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I just split and cord or two, so I can throw a few bundles into my 60 since I'll have room.

Rock Dog
07-12-2008, 12:11 AM
If all goes as planned i will be driving up friday night after work, but will probably roll in late... can'twait to get out of the heat of the city!!
If i bring the runner i am sure you will all hear me well before you see me

psfpilot
07-12-2008, 09:07 AM
So now our friday guests are:
Nuclearlemon
Wes
Rezarf
Wes
Martin
Jethro
Lexusben
Subzali
Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate

Any takers?

Wesintl,

We're interested. We plan to depart Great Sand Dunes on Friday. Where should we meet you? Our commo is limited to FMRS/GMRS, cell phones, and smoke signals. I googled those trails, and they look stocker friendly- is that in fact the case?

wesintl
07-13-2008, 09:19 AM
I haven't been on them myself but I believe they are stock friendly.

So far I think it's only subzali and mdh33. We can make a cell phone contact and try to meet maybe somewhere like poncha springs. I guess it depends on when we leave denver. I'll see what's good for the other 2.

Nathaniel, Depending on what kind of time we make we may not camp with you friday. My intent was to camp at Snowblind then meet you up at st elmo in the morning.

I guess I need to find out if Tomichi and handcock are still closed.

Groucho
07-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Lexusben and I prerun the GTR friday afternoon to saturday morning. Lexusben has pics and will be posting them soon.

Here is the scoop:
Hancock is closed and still has one 50 yard slide AFAIK that blocks the last 200 yards of road on the west side toward the summit. Forest Service signs block the last 1/2 mile. Hancock is open (again, AFAIK), past the one slide we saw. The west side has been summited as reported by the Bushducks.com high country pass info page.

The Alpine Tunnel Road is open as of July 9th. We didn't make it up there, due to Hancock being closed. But the Gunnison Ranger office reports it open.

Cumberland Pass is open.

Tincup Pass is closed on the east side due to a slide right at the top of the trail just befroe it gets to the actual pass. I mean we're talking just before. The slide is on the south (sunny) side and is approximately 200+ yards long. Unless a miracle happens, Tincup will not be open to cross by next Sunday.

Here is what we are going to do. We will stay the course of the trip. There is a very good chance that Hancock Pass will be open by saturday.

Ben and I also decided to ask our resident Land Use gurus about possibly asking permission from the Gunnison Ranger district to volunteer to shovel Hancock pass open on Friday. With as many people heading out friday, if we were to get a group of people together it might take as little as 2-3 hours and we would be in business. Plus, we could count that as hours volunteered, which is awesome. Red_Chili seems to think they may be responsive to that, but we won't know for sure until Monday, when I can call and ask them.

If Hancock remains closed and we can't shovel it open, Saturday will be visiting in St Elmo, going up Hancock Pass and then we will have backtrack to swing wide over Monarch pass (popups probably need to go that way anyway) and up to Pitkin to the CG. Sunday will be a trip up to the Alpine Tunnel, and back and over Cumberland Pass to the Town of Tincup. At that point it will be up to everyones discretion on how to get home. Either over Cottonwood pass to Buena Vista (dirt road but easy) or back over Cumberland Pass to Pitkin, home via Monarch pass.

If Hancock is open or we shovel it open, we will do everything except TinCup Pass itself.

What we need now is a show of hands for those folks who are heading out friday if they might possibly be willing to shovel the pass open instead of doing other, much more fun things. This is all dependant on if we can do this, of course.

Anyone?

psfpilot
07-13-2008, 01:36 PM
I'll shovel.

Bruce Miller
07-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey, Wes, is anything left of the swimming pool at Wuanita Hot Springs, or are there hot springs that a person could dip in? There's some interesting history there. Discovered about 1885, by 1916 its radium hot springs, its new hotel and "numerous daintily furnished cottages and well equipped sanitarium" brought patrons to dabble in the waters, attracted by the advertisement which promised that: Drinking the waters at the hot fountain, bathing in the large and excellently appointed swimming pool...inhaling the gases and steam rising from the impregnated waters..." and having "packings of the radium mud are some of the means and methods of transforming the sick and the invalid to health and restored vigor".

My Gunnison Basin F.S. map indicates the Waunita Hot Springs area is private property. We've never been there before. Have you?

Bruce Miller
07-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey, Wes, looks like you'll be camping at Snowblind CG? Can I tell you how it got its name? In the 1860's, two men located some pay dirt, built a flume and washed out a pound of gold per man per day! Snow drove them away from their diggings for the winter, and while working their way out they either became snow blind or were killed by Ute Indians. At any rate, their story became a legend and hundreds of prospectors tried to find Snow Blind Gulch, the source of their gold. Years later in Snow Blind Gulch on Tomichi Creek, some traces of Long Tom sluices and the remains of an old whipsaw were found in the bushes along the stream, lending credence to the story. It is said that the area is still rich in gold deposits. There's supposed to be good fishing up the road past Whitepine.

farnhamstj
07-13-2008, 04:15 PM
If I arrive early enough I'd help, but I'm not sure I can skip out of work entirely that day. Could a snowblower be used? I don't have one. Just a thinking out loud.

wesintl
07-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Hey, Wes, is anything left of the swimming pool at Wuanita Hot Springs, or are there hot springs that a person could dip in? There's some interesting history there. Discovered about 1885, by 1916 its radium hot springs, its new hotel and "numerous daintily furnished cottages and well equipped sanitarium" brought patrons to dabble in the waters, attracted by the advertisement which promised that: Drinking the waters at the hot fountain, bathing in the large and excellently appointed swimming pool...inhaling the gases and steam rising from the impregnated waters..." and having "packings of the radium mud are some of the means and methods of transforming the sick and the invalid to health and restored vigor".

My Gunnison Basin F.S. map indicates the Waunita Hot Springs area is private property. We've never been there before. Have you?

I haven't been up there but I always thought that the only pools were at the wuanita ranch. There is day use of them though from what i've read on the net http://www.waunitasprings.com/rates.htm. I'd like to explore the area more, we'll see what else is there. The snow blind history sounds neat. With tomichi closed I guess we'll see what to do when we get down there. We may make it over to quartz to camp.

Hulk
07-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey, Wes, is anything left of the swimming pool at Wuanita Hot Springs, or are there hot springs that a person could dip in?

I'm not Wes, but I can answer this. Last year after the Ouray trip, we caravaned with the Hants White family to the Waunita Hot Springs after seeing it on a map. It's part of a "guest ranch." Here is their website for the summer dude ranch (http://www.waunita.com/). They actually have another website (http://www.waunitasprings.com/) for the winter.

We arrived there on Labor Day, mid-afternoon. The hot springs are normally closed in the summertime to walk-up users, since they are part of the dude ranch. We got lucky -- all the guests had checked out, so they were more than happy to take our money and let the Whites and the Farrs splash around in the pool for a few hours. It was a lot of fun. $10/adult and $5/child. Cheap and wonderful.

We also ran Old Monarch Pass which is basically a dirt road, IIRC. The fact that I remember so little of it should give you an inkling of how memorable it was. Not very.

If you want to go there, I would say give them a call first. If you make arrangements in advance, you might be able to go for a dip.

Three Wheel Ben
07-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Here are the pics from the pre run.

Hancock Pass

Hancock Barriers

Tincup

Poser Trip Shot

Rock Dog
07-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey, Wes, looks like you'll be camping at Snowblind CG? Can I tell you how it got its name? In the 1860's, two men located some pay dirt, built a flume and washed out a pound of gold per man per day! Snow drove them away from their diggings for the winter, and while working their way out they either became snow blind or were killed by Ute Indians. At any rate, their story became a legend and hundreds of prospectors tried to find Snow Blind Gulch, the source of their gold. Years later in Snow Blind Gulch on Tomichi Creek, some traces of Long Tom sluices and the remains of an old whipsaw were found in the bushes along the stream, lending credence to the story. It is said that the area is still rich in gold deposits. There's supposed to be good fishing up the road past Whitepine.

Cool Bruce, I love hearing the stories behing the names of places in the mountains. As i get older i find i like learning history more and more...

Rock Dog
07-13-2008, 10:05 PM
So it looks like a no-go for Hancock pass.....

RedCreeper
07-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Groucho thanks for the info, it was very helpful. After a BAD 4th night run with another club we have been hesitant on taking a new ride on something else. The PIC with the FJ was a teaser. Still looking forward to this one. We got a killer deal the the truck fest this weekend but don't think i will have it in time. On to plan B. Looks like we are still in unless something major happens. Dont think we will make it friday due to gas. No sense to run all the way to the CG only to have to go back the way we came the next morning. So what time are we meeting at Johnson Village Food Mart on Saturday? For Saturday night i read that the RS is providing the meat. Is this for everyone or just club members? If for everyone what are we to provide? Sorry to be anal or ask to many questions just trying to be prepared. Total count for me now stands at 2A 1 4yr old and a 80 pound beast. Our oldest pup passed a few weeks back so we are 1 less. Look forward to a good time with all. See you then.

Redcreeper

Groucho
07-14-2008, 06:33 AM
Lexusben and I prerun the GTR friday afternoon to saturday morning. Lexusben has pics and will be posting them soon.

Here is the scoop:
Hancock is closed and still has one 50 yard slide AFAIK that blocks the last 200 yards of road on the west side toward the summit. Forest Service signs block the last 1/2 mile. Hancock is open (again, AFAIK), past the one slide we saw. The west side has been summited as reported by the Bushducks.com high country pass info page.

The Alpine Tunnel Road is open as of July 9th. We didn't make it up there, due to Hancock being closed. But the Gunnison Ranger office reports it open.

Cumberland Pass is open.

Tincup Pass is closed on the east side due to a slide right at the top of the trail just befroe it gets to the actual pass. I mean we're talking just before. The slide is on the south (sunny) side and is approximately 200+ yards long. Unless a miracle happens, Tincup will not be open to cross by next Sunday.

Here is what we are going to do. We will stay the course of the trip. There is a very good chance that Hancock Pass will be open by saturday.

Ben and I also decided to ask our resident Land Use gurus about possibly asking permission from the Gunnison Ranger district to volunteer to shovel Hancock pass open on Friday. With as many people heading out friday, if we were to get a group of people together it might take as little as 2-3 hours and we would be in business. Plus, we could count that as hours volunteered, which is awesome. Red_Chili seems to think they may be responsive to that, but we won't know for sure until Monday, when I can call and ask them.

If Hancock remains closed and we can't shovel it open, Saturday will be visiting in St Elmo, going up Hancock Pass and then we will have backtrack to swing wide over Monarch pass (popups probably need to go that way anyway) and up to Pitkin to the CG. Sunday will be a trip up to the Alpine Tunnel, and back and over Cumberland Pass to the Town of Tincup. At that point it will be up to everyones discretion on how to get home. Either over Cottonwood pass to Buena Vista (dirt road but easy) or back over Cumberland Pass to Pitkin, home via Monarch pass.

If Hancock is open or we shovel it open, we will do everything except TinCup Pass itself.

What we need now is a show of hands for those folks who are heading out friday if they might possibly be willing to shovel the pass open instead of doing other, much more fun things. This is all dependant on if we can do this, of course.

Anyone?

So it looks like a no-go for Hancock pass.....

The plan is to try and call the Gunnison Ranger Distric and see if they are open to us shoveling the pass open.

Groucho thanks for the info, it was very helpful. After a BAD 4th night run with another club we have been hesitant on taking a new ride on something else. The PIC with the FJ was a teaser. Still looking forward to this one. We got a killer deal the the truck fest this weekend but don't think i will have it in time. On to plan B. Looks like we are still in unless something major happens. Dont think we will make it friday due to gas. No sense to run all the way to the CG only to have to go back the way we came the next morning. So what time are we meeting at Johnson Village Food Mart on Saturday? For Saturday night i read that the RS is providing the meat. Is this for everyone or just club members? If for everyone what are we to provide? Sorry to be anal or ask to many questions just trying to be prepared. Total count for me now stands at 2A 1 4yr old and a 80 pound beast. Our oldest pup passed a few weeks back so we are 1 less. Look forward to a good time with all. See you then.

Redcreeper

Posting up final details now...

Red_Chili
07-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Woohoo, Mrs. Chili may even join me, she sounds interested.
She asked if it was pretty like Iron Chest was, I said yes indeedy. She asked if I thought the Father's Day run was pretty, I said yes. She said she thought it wasn't...
:confused:
Go figger. But I told her this WAS the Iron Chest area, so my credibility was (slightly) restored.

wesintl
07-14-2008, 09:38 AM
In the first pic.. Is that all that needs to be shoveled on handcock for both sides?

Jethro
07-14-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm trying to keep up with this crazy thread.

I'm taking Friday off and would love to shovel snow on Hancock. Or soak at Waunita HS!

I'll pack my shovel.

Red_Chili
07-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Is Hancock in the GRD, or SRD?

OBTW, I plan on bringing our Shelties. They might enjoy meeting Bruce's.

Groucho
07-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Is Hancock in the GRD, or SRD?

OBTW, I plan on bringing our Shelties. They might enjoy meeting Bruce's.

Hancock is Shared (as is Tincup IIRC) between both the SRD & the GRD.

I spoke with Janice at the GRD this morning. She said as long as we create proper drainage assist so the road is not worsened by the water and travel on it, she couldn't see why they wouldn't allow us to shovel open the pass. I am waiting for her call back because she wanted to verify with the District Ranger that her thoughts were good, and he was in meetings most of the morning.

I also left a message with Steve at the SRD asking him about our request and that he return my call. Nothing yet.

I am waiting to post the thread with all of the details so I don't put the cart before the horse. Regardless, I will post all of the details by this afternoon.

Groucho
07-14-2008, 11:43 AM
In the first pic.. Is that all that needs to be shoveled on handcock for both sides?

AFAIK, yes. I read on the bushducks.com High country pass page that Hancock pass had been reached on the west side, with a coule small drifts that were easily passed. The majority of the remaining snow is on the east side. What you see is what I believe to be all of it. There can't be anything bigger any further up, there is basically only two 200 yard switchbacks and you're at the pass.

I'm trying to keep up with this crazy thread.

I'm taking Friday off and would love to shovel snow on Hancock. Or soak at Waunita HS!

I'll pack my shovel.

I tried to update this page with my findings from the weekend! Talk to Bruce for posting multiple time when he could have posted once!

Thanks for packing your shovel. I'll pack 2.

subzali
07-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm packing two. And gloves.

Groucho
07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Ok, here goes. If I forget anything, or don't answer something, please ask.

The 4th annual GTR will OFFICIALLY be from Saturday, July 19th, thru to Sunday July 20th.

I was waiting to hear from the Ranger Districts before posting this, but they haven't called me back yet. Based on my conversations this morning I have a good feeling that we will be OK'd to shovel out Hancock Pass Friday. Details on that to come.

Meeting places are as follows:
For those coming from Denver on Saturday morning--Meeting Place is at 7AM at the King Soopers Parking lot in ASPEN PARK. Link for directions (http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-qdBOrwLPl3ZxKXlQ) Volunteering to lead this group to Buena Vista (Johnson Village) is NAKMAN (Green FZJ80).

For those heading to the campground Friday or before--The Campground is Middle Quartz Creek Campground. Heres the link to directions. (http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-H7162wGuIKPLeNm4XqMI) The directions take you to the beginning of NF 767 road. From here you take NF 767 all the way back until it deadends in Middle Quartz Creek Camprgound. If you are planning on being there Friday, plan on a high speed run over Hancock Pass down to meet everyone in Johnson Village by 9AM. Hancock Pass is probably a 3-4 out of 10 on the 4WD scale. We will be trying to secure as many of the sites in the CG as we can on Thursday. Anyone who can volunteer a tent please get with me.

What to bring:
This is an overnight run. Please bring all you think you will need to camp overnight at 9500' in elevation. A jacket and pants are probably the minimum. When we did the pre-run last Friday, we slept at 11000' and it got fairly (but not uncomfortable) cold. Probably 40 as a low. Bring sunscreen. The sun was HOT!

There is a potluck dinner planned for Saturday night. It will be set up as bring your own main dish (meat/veggie/chix) to cook just for your family and a side dish to share with 4-8 people. I will post a list of things we need specific volunteers for. Last year this worked really well and we had more food than we could eat.

Dogs are welcome. Please be mindful of your dogs and your kids.

There are only pit or primitive toilets, so bring toilet paper and garbage bags to pack out what you pack in.

Communication:
CB Channel will be CH 4
HAM radio will be 146.460 MhZ.

Where we will be going:The first day--Starting In St Elmo, we will go up and over Hancock Pass to the Alpine Tunnel Historic District. Then we camp in Middle Quartz Creek Campground (or other primitive sites near there).

Second day---Starting in the CG, we head over Cumberland Pass to the town of TinCup. Then we will have lunch at Mirror Lake, and drive up the North side of TinCup Pass (as far as we can go). Then we turn around and go home either over Cumberland Pass to pickup pop-ups, or over CottonWood Pass to Buena Vista. (This is due to TinCup Pass being closed).

SteveH
07-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm not coming from Denver - so if I want to meet the group in Johnson Village (BV, whatever) on Sat. AM, what time and where do I meet you?

Thanks,

Steve

RedCreeper
07-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I in the same boat as Steve. I maybe be able to hook up with the Denver group somewhere on the way to Johnson Village. I am coming from the north near Longmont. Any ideas or time for Johnson Village or anyone want to hook up on the way?

Kenny

RedCreeper
07-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Never mind took a closer look and looks like i will try and meet you guys at King Sooper. Thought i was going a different way. Doh!

Groucho
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm not coming from Denver - so if I want to meet the group in Johnson Village (BV, whatever) on Sat. AM, what time and where do I meet you?

Thanks,

Steve

9AM departure time from Johnson Village. Should be an easy trip from the spings.

rover67
07-14-2008, 09:40 PM
gonna skip this one, ya'll have fun :o/

Rezarf
07-14-2008, 09:45 PM
This kills me, but we are out due to a few things at work. ARGGG! :rant: this is one I have been looking forward to.

Nathaniel, that would open up our spot if you have a waiting list.

:bawl: I heard this is the route not to miss too! I don't want to take up a spot that someone else could use, and our chances of making it are less than 50/50.

Have a freggin' blast!

:thumb:

Groucho
07-14-2008, 10:16 PM
1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon
3.Capen4
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Squishy
7.Nakman
8.Treeroot
9.rock dog
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer (x2)
21.Jethro
22.LexusBen
23. Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate
24. BVB
25. WESintl
26. Steve H
27. Convert

nuclearlemon
07-15-2008, 08:14 AM
i will be there friday still. planning on leaving around 8 or 9 to middle quartz. will gladly help shovel in needed.

Red_Chili
07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
It's just gonna be me and Ty. :(
Oh well, the 4Runner will make a more than adequate tent!

Groucho
07-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Salida Called yesterday and left a message that we were able to hand shovel Hancock pass open!!

Woo-Hoo!! Bring your shovel and a lounge chair!

MDH33
07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Salida Called yesterday and left a message that we were able to hand shovel Hancock pass open!!

What time Friday is the shovel party happening? :clap:

Groucho
07-15-2008, 12:12 PM
What time Friday is the shovel party happening? :clap:

I am not sure. We will be heading up from the Pitkin side. My guess is that it would be better to start earlier due to t-storms in the afternoon. I'm guessing between 9AM and 10AM on Friday.

For those with HAM, we will be monitoring 146.460MhZ. If you come from the St Elmo side and we have anything to shovel on the west side, just give a hollar.

Red_Chili
07-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Hey d00d, you are our first volunteer opportunity with the SRD! :bowdown::clap:

Now if they would only get back to me on Iron Chest adoption... 9753

Red_Chili
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Well, lo and behold, I used this as an impetus to try to contact the SRD again via email and a phone call. I got the ranger, Bill Schuckert. We ACTUALLY SPOKE ABOUT IRON CHEST, and I mentioned that we had volunteers that had gotten permission to shovel the snow on Hancock and thanked him for that.

DOH! He said no one had checked with him, so he was going to verify who gave permission, and I gave him your phone numbers, Groucho, to verify. Sheesh. In all fairness he was out, so there was an acting ranger who probably said OK. They are very careful with the roadbeds out there, especially with the extreme runoff and moisture levels, so that is behind his caution.

I fear I did more harm than good, from one perspective at least, but far better to find out now with the man himself than get caught in the RD's lack of internal communication...

SteveH
07-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Without putting too fine a point on it, is there a particular place in Johnson Village (one of those big truck stops) where people meet - or should I just hang out there and keep an eye out for bunch of 'cruisers rolling into town? Thanks - Steve

Groucho
07-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Without putting too fine a point on it, is there a particular place in Johnson Village (one of those big truck stops) where people meet - or should I just hang out there and keep an eye out for bunch of 'cruisers rolling into town? Thanks - Steve

Gunsmoke Truck Stop Parking lot.

Convert
07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
T-minus 2 hours and the Brisket is going on the smoker 5.75 pounds of heaven 10 to 14 hours of smoke and a little Love. Yummm yummmm cant wait For GTR dinner :thumb:

bh4rnnr
07-16-2008, 07:55 PM
T-minus 2 hours and the Brisket is going on the smoker 5.75 pounds of heaven 10 to 14 hours of smoke and a little Love. Yummm yummmm cant wait For GTR dinner :thumb:

Holy Smokes!:eek::bowdown::cool::beer::beer:

P.S: I'll be heading out with Neil friday night. Cant wait for this run!!!!!!!!

psfpilot
07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Friday morning we plan to drive from the Sand Dunes NP up through Waunita pass to show up at the campsite around noon. If no one is there, we will attempt a call on CB ch.4 and drive to Hancock with our shovels. If plans change drastically between now and then, I'd appreciate it if someone could leave a message on my cell phone.

Colorado or bust!

MDH33
07-16-2008, 09:59 PM

Woah! :) You've upped the dinner ante. Now I'm going to have come up with something other than my PB & J.

Friday morning we plan to drive from the Sand Dunes NP up through Waunita pass to show up at the campsite around noon. If no one is there, we will attempt a call on CB ch.4 and drive to Hancock with our shovels. If plans change drastically between now and then, I'd appreciate it if someone could leave a message on my cell phone.

There should be lots of Toyotas in the area. Just keep your CB on and wave like a crazy person whenever you see a Cruiser or Dark-sider-mobile and we're sure to find you. :hill:

Tramontana
07-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Whoot, my first RS wheeling event. Since my wife will have TruckWagon this weekend at an all women DS motorcycle clinic, I'll be riding along with the RedChili!

Cheers!

Groucho
07-17-2008, 08:59 AM
We're t-minus 1 hour to leave time. As far as I have heard, my last correspondence was from Steve with the SRD and Janice from GRd and they have given the cautious go-ahead.

We need to be extra ccareful as to not make any erosion damage. We will travel through the wet/snowy areas as light and careful as possible.

See everyone there!

Red_Chili
07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
FWIW, leave a message for Bill naming who gave you permission. Just sayin'.

RedCreeper
07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Been reading the posts and this sounds like a great time. First time with RS and looking forward to it. Not to be a pest.... One item to mention now that PB&J was brought up, please let us know if there are any nuts besides the drivers around at the campsite dinner. My daughter is highly alergic and don't see any hospitals near by. She is pretty funny about it. She will let you know about it real quick. Thanks. Can't wait.

Kenny

nakman
07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Kenny, you're not alone as far as nuts are concerned, hopefully the contents will be obvious and don't be shy to bring it up at dinner.

Also, just got a text message from Groucho, as follows:

the shoveling will begin between 9 and 10am on friday.

Red_Chili
07-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey, let us know if we need to leave our nuts at home. Really.

That didn't come out right...

nakman
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey, let us know if we need to leave our nuts at home. Really.

That didn't come out right...

Well before this really turns for the gutter I'll just say no, but don't leave them laying around where my son play with them, and keep them the heck away from RedCreeper's daughter! :eek: :bolt:

BTW we're planning on doing kabobs for dinner on Saturday.. :p: :beer:

RedCreeper
07-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Sorry did not mean to start anything or sound nasty or over protective. Just know it can be a serious issue for some. Had a sitter of hers give the other kids peanut butter crackers before my daughter really knew how serious it was and got a hold of one and ended up in the hospital for the day. I appreciate all the help and concern with this. I'm with Nakeman just want to make folks aware of it and to please be careful with leaving them lying around. Even the passed out ones. Haha

On another subject who is bringing what for the pot luck? Or what is needed?

Thanks again.

Kenny

MDH33
07-17-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm bringing a giant garden salad to share.

farnhamstj
07-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Twice baked potatos.

nuclearlemon
07-17-2008, 09:41 PM
can't cook, so chips and cookies.

rigs mostly loaded up, filling my 7gln water can now. finish laundry and off to nighty night.

bvb
07-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I've got 2 dutch ovens 1 with cherry and 1 with peach cobbler..........some :beer::beer:

RedCreeper
07-17-2008, 10:59 PM
This will be my first time and not sure how much to bring but depending on how my wife feels i think i might bring something fitting for the Rising Sun name. mmmmmmmm

See you guys saturday morning.

Red_Chili
07-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Sorry did not mean to start anything or sound nasty or over protective. Just know it can be a serious issue for some.
Not at all, Kenny. Squishy's girlfriend's brother can die if exposed to someone who even has handled a peanut! Not to be taken lightly.

Though I was kidding around, I was serious too: please let us know if your daughter is as sensitive as Squishy's girlfriend's brother!

RedCreeper
07-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Red Chilli
Not sure if she is or not. We have done a pretty good job of being aware. At least i like to think so. I know the one time it happend at her sitter she just grabbed the cracker and licked it and said she dont like it. Her toungue got numb and it was a ride to the hospital for her. We were at a Rockies game and she did pretty well as long as she not in it so i don't think she is that sensative but it did take a quarter of a half piece of a cashew when she was a baby for us to find out. Dont want to find out again. I think with me being a diabetic and her nut alergy we have the pharmacy covered though. Thanks for everyone looking out. Look forward to wheeling with everyone. Thanks again.
Jones Family

MDH33
07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
I am not sure. We will be heading up from the Pitkin side. My guess is that it would be better to start earlier due to t-storms in the afternoon. I'm guessing between 9AM and 10AM on Friday.

For those with HAM, we will be monitoring 146.460MhZ. If you come from the St Elmo side and we have anything to shovel on the west side, just give a hollar.

I'm heading out the door now. Our caravan will not get up to the pass to shovel by 9 or 10 but we'll see you all soon. :thumb:

Red_Chili
07-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Red Chilli
Not sure if she is or not.
If she had a peanut-specific allergy, you would know. Anaphylactic shock. Followed by death if not arrested. AFAIK a simple nut allergy can progress to something like this, so she is lucky to have great and aware parents! :thumb:

nakman
07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
this just in from Groucho...

Update-hancock pass is open. Found a bigger camping spot just b4 middle quartz campground ma

rked by two dinner plates that say Rising Sun Ghost Town run. Kioka Kate will be monitoring 146.460 to talk you in.

ttubb
07-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I saw that spot last week and it is actually more open and spacious than Middle Quartz. If it is one I am thinking of it is about 1/2 mile prior to MQ on the right side. Cannot miss it. Bringing pasta salad and mountain munchies (cookies that DO HAVE NUTS so we will watch for the kids). See you at Johnson Village at 0900 tomorrow. Terry :cheers:

corsair23
07-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Red Chilli
Not sure if she is or not. We have done a pretty good job of being aware. At least i like to think so. I know the one time it happend at her sitter she just grabbed the cracker and licked it and said she dont like it. Her toungue got numb and it was a ride to the hospital for her. We were at a Rockies game and she did pretty well as long as she not in it so i don't think she is that sensative but it did take a quarter of a half piece of a cashew when she was a baby for us to find out. Dont want to find out again. I think with me being a diabetic and her nut alergy we have the pharmacy covered though. Thanks for everyone looking out. Look forward to wheeling with everyone. Thanks again.
Jones Family

[Hijack]Have you had her tested yet? My oldest has a tree nut allergy but is (supposedly) severely allergic to peanuts. Found that out when her Aunt gave her one of those peanut butter crackers (orange crackers with peanut butter in between) and it looked like someone had beat the snot out of her. Her eyes got so swollen she couldn't open them etc. And, she only took one bite and didn't like the taste so her exposure to the peanut butter was minimal. Scary stuff :eek:

We are now retesting her (blood test) and depending on the results they may do a challenge test where they put peanut butter on her arm. This is through National Jewish because her old allergist Doc won't do anything because he had a child die during a challenge test, at the hospital! Yes, this stuff is NOT to be taken lightly folks...

[/Hijack off]

RedCreeper
07-18-2008, 09:08 PM
We know she is alergic. we found out when she ate a quarter of a half piece of a cashew when she was a baby. So we are very careful. what i ment we dont know if she is as sensitive if you just breathe on her. Like i said before she will tell you she is allergic to nuts. It is tough being a kid sometimes.

psfpilot
07-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks again for letting us join you for the GTR! We had a great time and got to meet some great folks. It was definitely a special vacation for us, and we took home some great memories.