PDA

View Full Version : Moab Trail learning weekend

Cheeseman
02-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Hello everybody,

I have been talking about a weekend in Moab just to learn more trails. This will be the weekend of Feb. 29 - March 2, Friday thru Sunday. Plan to get there Thursday if you can. Please let me know who is coming and when you will get there. I am looking mainly to those who will be going to Cruise Moab and becoming a trail leader or gunner.

The idea is for each new or veteran trail leader to run 4 to 5 trails over the time there. Those who come out later on Friday will run less. This will be a busy no frills weekend. We are going there to learn more trails as Rising Sun Cruise Moab trail leaders and gunners. We can use those of you who know various trails to teach others as well as taking the oppurtunity to learn new ones.

We will gather around 8:00am or so every morning for the days trails. I am working on a gathering place so that will come later. Slickrock says they don't open until the Saturday, but I am talking with them to see if they can move this up a couple of days.

We will not be running Pritchett Canyon, Behind the Rocks, Elephant Hill, or the Golden Spike.

We are all part of the Rising Sun reputation of being one of the best TLCA clubs in the United States. And that means all who come to Cruise Moab will have a great time because of your Trail leader expertise. So lets give it our best and travel this weekend to work on making that reputation even better.

Thank you,

Greg Luer
Trail Boss
Cruise Moab '08
________
ASS ****ING (http://www.****tube.com/categories/151/****ing/videos/1)

timmbuck2
02-04-2008, 06:07 PM
count me in.

T

Crash
02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Sounds like an RTT weekend to me!

Hulk
02-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Please note: this is a weekend for trail leader learning. All who are willing to learn and lead trails are welcome.

If you're simply looking to go run trails in Moab with Rising Sun, please sign up for Cruise Moab (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/cruisemoab.asp).

RockRunner
02-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Gregg, not sure if I can make it or not as I have a big project at work till the end of March. I will be really bummed if I can't make it, will there be another trip or is this it? I honestly thought that it would be closer to the end of March, a little warmer too ;-)

If I can go it will be a last minute decision and will most likely get there later on Friday if not Friday night.

AxleIke
02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Am I correct in assuming that, if you don't make this, you cannot be a leader?

I hope not, as I was really looking forward to leading a few trails.

Uncle Ben
02-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Am I correct in assuming that, if you don't make this, you cannot be a leader?

I hope not, as I was really looking forward to leading a few trails.

No Isaac. It is only an option to make the club "Mo betta" Your willingness to lead will always be appreciated! A couple of us have been chatting about possibly doing some club clinics as we all can learn from each other but the more comfortable you are with the basics the higher your confidence level gets as well as the safety factor. There is a huge amount of collective knowledge in the club and if that is channeled together everyone will learn something!

AxleIke
02-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I know how to get to and get from a great many trails in Moab.

What I really need is "Trail Leader Etiquette". By that I do not mean that I would be rude or what not, but I'd like tips, pointers, guidelines, etc to help me:

A) make the experience as enjoyable and fun as possible for ALL on my run
B) deal with any "problem children" should the need arise

I love Moab, and want to share my joy of the area with others. I feel that I can do that without difficulty. I just would like some "veteran" advice and guidance for the not-so-joyous parts.

Hulk
02-04-2008, 10:59 PM
We could probably do some of that stuff at a regular RS meeting, or on a local trail run.

Uncle Ben
02-04-2008, 11:56 PM
We could probably do some of that stuff at a regular RS meeting, or on a local trail run.

Absolutely!

powderpig
02-05-2008, 06:21 AM
I am sure that there will be one more of these in Moab, As others are saying Greg and I will be posting a couple of other training sessions closer to here as well as Moab. So I would not worry a bunch if you can not make this. I know as it gets closer people do have less time as stuff comes up that take the place of time spent with the club(ie, working on truck, time with family, SO taking time,etc).
Hopefully we can continue some more training type of stuff, it seems like the club is on a roll to learn new stuff that make us all better 'wheelers. Later Robbie

Groucho
02-05-2008, 07:22 AM
I have been on a couple, always with Cheeseman. I must say, for the folks who are going to lead, and especially for those who lead all three days at Moab, this is the time to have fun for you.

These pre-runs are geared at learning the trails, practicing trail-leader etiqutte, and what to do in case something goes wrong. While I always learned something new each time I went with Cheeseman, I must say I enjoyed it for myself in a way that benefited me more than anything.

As trail leaders and gunners, you have to keep in mind you are there as a representative of the event, and the well being of everyone involved on your run comes first. I have been a participant on Cruise Moab runs where the leader was more concerned with their own enjoyment of the run than my well being and safety which made the run awful, if not downright lousy, for me. Those are not the experiences that we as a club should be giving to the participants.

Official Cruise Moab trail runs are not the time for you to put your enjoyment on the run first. Sometimes it can be a lot of work. Keeping the group as a whole moving and enjoying themselves is easy with a good group and if it is maintained as a group. A breakdown, someone running out of gas, rigs with no communication, participants who want to stand up and hang out of the side of their no-top FJ40, alcohol on the trail and participants who refuse to follow our simple guidelines make for long days, frustrated and tired participants and the end of the road seem far away.

If anyone can go on pre-runs, whether they are during the one in March, or sometime the week of the event, they serve many purposes. If there are things done before hand to increase leaders skills and confort level, even better. Anything we can do to better prepare our leaders and gunners is effort well spent. Plus it gives us a chance to have a little fun for ourselves. :thumb:

AxleIke
02-05-2008, 09:49 AM
I would LOVE to go on the run with Cheeseman. Sorry if I came across like I didn't.

I just won't have a truck to go in. If there is another later on, maybe, but right now, no truck.

Hants
02-05-2008, 10:24 AM
No can do this time... previous family commitments. :(

subzali
02-05-2008, 10:34 AM
If you haven't been contacted yet about leading/gunning does that mean you're not, or just that you haven't been called yet? Haven't checked yet to see if I can make it or not, would love to!

Groucho
02-05-2008, 12:41 PM
I would LOVE to go on the run with Cheeseman. Sorry if I came across like I didn't.

I just won't have a truck to go in. If there is another later on, maybe, but right now, no truck.

Hopefully it was not taken as such. I just know that many people are torn about the fact that even though we all want to participate in CM as participants, but being Leaders/Gunners and participants at the same time is not necessarily the best mix. The point I was trying to make was that these pre-run are a very good time for those who take part in facilitating the event(leaders/gunners/merch/registration) to actually enjoy doing Cruise Moab things, even though it is not during CM. I have spoken to a few people who were taken aback by the fact that they were actually going to have to "work" when leading trails.

The good thing about what Cheeseman is trying to do is make it so we all can have our cake and eat it too. Too often CM has had only a handful of regular trail leaders peppered with a few extras here and there. Those regulars carried the bulk of the job to make sure that trails could be run. If what Cheese is shooting for actually takes seed and comes about, then there will be a much larger pool of operators to pull from, so not just a few people carry the bulk of the work, but rather it is spread out more, effectively making it so that eveyone can enjoy the event more.

Cheese is a great teacher, and has the heart of a lion. He will make sure that no man(woman) is left behind, either in trail leaders or on the trail. Thanks, Cheeseman.

Hulk
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I totally agree with Nathaniel. As a trail leader, I'm always concerned about my whole group:

Is everyone driving safely?
Is everyone keeping up?
Are we making good time?
Is everyone having a good time?
Etc. etc.

I love the pre-runs. Even if you're there to learn the trail, you can usually lighten up and have a good time.

Cheeseman
02-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Well as always alot gets discussed in the last 24 hours. That is why we like this forum so much. I thought I would try and clear up a few things.

The date for the trail weekend was picked by me. The last weekend in March is Easter. You don't want to be in Moab unless you want to be with "lots" of wheelers. The weekend of the 21st is my Mothers 80th birthday. Going to Tucson for that. The previous two weekends are taken up by high level adult scout leader training that I put on for Denver area council. So that left the weekend that has been posted. And April is getting to close to Moab for most folks.

I like the Trail leader etiquette. Hadn't thouhgt of calling it that. But it is quite appropriate. Besides it makes us sound so sophisticated. We are very good at what we do. Robbie and I have just about done putting together a class on this very subject. We will pick a couple of dates outside of the club meeting for this. There is not enough time at the RS meeting for this and all the other items we have to do. There has been talk of doing some training locally on trails but not quite sure how that will work out just yet.

As far as Cruisemoab trail leaders. I have been working on that a little. But now that registration is almost full we can now put that in place very soon. So I will be calling all of you who have done it in the past or have an interest as a result of our classes this spring. We should have a greater legion of trail leaders to help with this event so here we go.

We will do our best to make you as a trail leader and the Rising Sun look the best at Cruisemoab.

Thank you
________
Fisting Hardcore (http://www.****tube.com/categories/573/hardcore/videos/1)

Inukshuk
02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm a maybe.

Red_Chili
02-07-2008, 11:19 AM
I don't think I can make it then...:(
But by all means I will try to make the class. I have always enjoyed gunning and helping.
The one time I led Metal Masher, not so much...
I have enjoyed informally leading Cliffhanger though.

It may be a dynamic of getting an out of town crew on Saturday who signed up all together and who were more interested in hitting the highway early than really running the trail.:rolleyes:

Rezarf
02-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Man, I would love to go, but traveling this month is out. 3 work trips already in the works.

I do however, want to help in any way possible, so count me in for the classes/clinics.

Drew

waggoner5
02-12-2008, 10:20 AM
It looks as though I can be there also. Keep me informed on when everyone is leaving and where to stay. I will probably bring my Taco, so as to not have to trailer.
G

RockRunner
02-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I have the Friday off so things are looking up. Now I just have to see if it will work out with all the other things going on. Most likely I will arrive late Thursday / early Friday morning. I would be driving the 4Runner up and maybe sleeping in the back of it. Greg I will let you know ASAP if I will be there.

Jethro
02-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Cheeseman,
I can come. I need to get out of the house anyway. I'll be alone in the 80 if anybody needs a ride.

leiniesred
02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
If Jethro's going to be there, then I'm IN too.
Already have my kitchen pass lined up.

Jethro
02-19-2008, 07:26 PM
I will bring additional :beer:

wesintl
02-19-2008, 07:49 PM
now i'm 2x as bummed I can't go.

I have family in town. Otherwise I'd love to test out the turbo. Have fun all.

corsair23
02-19-2008, 11:23 PM
now i'm 2x as bummed I can't go.

x2

Too much going on this close to CM and with Rubithon this year vacation time is at an all time premium...

I know this won't help for CM08 but what is the likelihood of having more of these later this year in prep for CM09? It is a distinct possibility I will be solo for CM09 as my daughter's school is going off the track system an onto a traditional schedule. It worked out that she has been off track during CM :D - now with the traditional schedule she won't be :(. Anyway, if this truly happens it will mean I will have more time to devote to helping out at CM09 without the family duties.

timmbuck2
02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
So is this the list of everyone going?
cheeseman
timmbuck2
crash
waggoner5
jethro
leiniesred

When is everyone leaving? Where are we camping?

etc etc

T

powderpig
02-22-2008, 10:55 PM
I be coming along as well. I am taking care of the kids this weekend and doing a bunch of house related stuff. So I can go and play next weekend.

powderpig
02-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Well it looks to be a bit cool for next weekend currently. Highs in the mid 40's and below freezing at night. Well I will post a bit more on wed morning to see what they forecast. One forecast even predicts snow friday night for saturday morning. Any way it pans out, it will be a bit cool for the weekend we will be there. Pack some warm cloths.

Looking forward to being out in Utah.

waggoner5
02-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Kind of like the last time we were there huh? Except that was November.

powderpig
02-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Yep, I do remember one night that my bag was a bit on the light side, now if we did not camp in a river bottom, we may of been OK.

Inukshuk
02-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Unless work gets to crazy - me and the dogs are in! :cheers:

1. Anyone driving out Friday morning? I'm going to the Billy Joel concert Thursday night.

2. Has a camping spot been picked? I'd vote for some primitive camping - maybe up towards Kane Creek - unless folks already have picked the place.

3. A plan to meet up mid-day Friday (and swapping cell phone number) would be great if possible. If you guys do a run at 8 that should finish around lunchtime.

timmbuck2
02-24-2008, 10:30 PM
not sure if I am driving out thursday night or friday morning yet...
primitive is cool with me...and if it is too cold I will just sleep in my 80. :)

waggoner5
02-25-2008, 10:32 AM
I am going to leave out Thursday mid day, but I will cheap hotel it this weekend. I don't have the right camping gear yet.

RockRunner
02-25-2008, 11:36 AM
i am still on the fence about this trip. I would be driving the 4Runner out so it will be a slow drive up and back.

Sleeping would be in the back of my truck, no big deal but..............

If I leave Friday early AM what will I be missing? I could drive out Thursday PM and sleep somewhere in Moab unless somebody has a camping spot for me.

This all depends on how work goes this week.

bh4rnnr
02-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Trails will be muddy. They just got 8 inches last week. We lucked out with weather this past weekend.

Have fun:beer:

Cheeseman
02-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Looks like we're camping the whole weekend. That should be fun. I am working on those particulars right now. Will be calling all of you tonight or you can call me from my PM's to you. If I can talk to all of us tonight I can figure out exactly what we will do. That is until we get there and decide something else. As of right now, Myself, Robbie, Gary and Bruce Westlund are going out Thursday.
________
Creamy Orgasm (http://www.****tube.com/video/31799/no-work-involved-for-her-creamy-orgasm)

Romer
02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Troy Demill (Live Rust)the President of Wasatch Cruisers and our trail leader for Hole in the rock may run down to Moab this weekend.

On a selfish note: If he does run down he will be bringing a package 61" x 43" x 9.5"tall.

Could someone bring it back for me? If so how would he meet up with you?

Inukshuk
02-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Ken - That is large (RTT?) but I should have room in my 80 so long as my dogs can crawl all over it and I don't have to get it till Sunday. I suppose I could strap it to my factory roof rack too. But if anyone in our group has a pickup ....

To the group: Camping Restrictions for the Moab Area (with a detailed 4MB PDF map to download) are found at :
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...mpgrounds.html

timmbuck2
02-26-2008, 07:58 PM
I have no dogs so I can out it in my 80. :)

leiniesred
02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
I plan on driving out Thursday. I don't make very good time in the old 'runner.

I'll try to have the truck prepped Wednesday night, but realistically, It'll be mid-morning when I finally get rollin'.

Primitive camping is PERFECT for me. I really could use some e-free time. (no computers)

I'm up for any trail out there, any day. No worries.

I'll watch here for news tomorrow.

Romer
02-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks Guys, it is an oasis RTT

It's suppose to be about 40 lbs

here is what it looks like packed up.

I gave Troy the link so hopefully he will chime in here when he knows what he is doing.

Gotta love cruiser karma

http://www.everythingsuv.com/Oasis%20Tents/OasisG1.gif

Cheeseman
02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Tim Buchannon call me. My numbers are on a PM to you. Have left two cell phone messages on the number from your CM registration.
________
Hawaii Medical Marijuana Dispensary (http://hawaii.dispensaries.org/)

timmbuck2
02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
no worries Romer, should be no problem.

Tim Buchannon call me. My numbers are on a PM to you. Have left two cell phone messages on the number from your CM registration.

Greg, I will call as soon as I get the boy put to bed.

Cheeseman
02-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Sounds good. I remember those days. Hope you have a good story for him.
________
Bondage Tits (http://www.****tube.com/categories/407/tits/videos/1)

LiveRust
02-27-2008, 12:23 AM
It's an easy package to pick up. Very light weight. It could be attached to factory roof racks very easy. Has a few u bolts with it that would clip to factory rack. Ladder comes with it, light and pretty thin. I threw them in my 80 without any problem.

Still need to check a couple more things before it's official but it looks like I may be down Friday night. I haven't looked back in the thread but I imagine somewhere towards the beginning it will tell me where and when you meet each morning. I'll probably be camping. heck, I have a RTT:D

troy

LiveRust
02-27-2008, 12:30 AM
I looked and didn't find the where and when. Can someone point me to it. I'd rather not carry the RTT while wheeling so if whoever it taking it back to denver has a camp spot or hotel I could meet at to leave there that would be good too.

troy

RockRunner
02-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Looks like I will be going, as of now. I plan on flat towing the 4Runner behind my truck and sleeping in the back of the 4runner with one of our Golden's.

Ken I can carry your RTT in my truck and it is will fit in the cab store it while wheeling. Not sure if it will fit in the back of truck bed, short bed. One way or another I would think somebody in our group can take care of it.

Gregg, so far I am a go. That can change on Thursday afternoon so I will have to leave late Thursday evening or early Friday morning 2:00 am.

Can you please tell me and the others what the plan is for Friday morning? Meeting place/camping area. Time we leave for the first trail please.

I so hope I can go, I need a break from work in the worst way.............Fingers crossed!!!!

RockRunner
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
PS maybe a phone list for contacting once underway on Friday.

Mine is 303-829-0703

Cheeseman
02-27-2008, 02:21 PM
At this point in time we will meet at the Moab Diner on the south end of downtown at 7:00 am on Friday Morning. On Saturday morning it will be either that or McDonalds at the same time.
________
SINGAPORE RECIPES (http://www.cooking-chef.com/singapore/)

Cheeseman
02-27-2008, 02:31 PM
We will be running trails as soon as we finish breakfast. Local on Friday and possibly EHill on Sat. We'll see.
________
Voyeur college (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1150/college/videos/1)

RockRunner
02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Sounds good, we'll see what time I get there. Hopefully it will all work out. I will let you know ASAP.

Inukshuk
02-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Anyone planning to bring firewood for campfires?

RockRunner
02-28-2008, 12:06 AM
If I come I can bring some. Anybody interested in a generator? I have a smalish one I can bring LMK ASAP so I can pack it.

Inukshuk
02-28-2008, 12:25 AM
If I come I can bring some. Anybody interested in a generator? I have a smalish one I can bring LMK ASAP so I can pack it.

Wood = Great
Generator = I have 400Watt inverter built in if anyone needs to charge phones, batteries or run a laptop.

Inukshuk
02-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Here is another idea - for the drive home Sunday drive to Dewey Bridge, ford the Dolores river (currently at 2-300 CFS, a low flow, should be driveable) and take dirt roads all the way to grand junction. I have wanted to do this a long time but at Cruise Moab time the water is too high (1500 CFS). We could also camp up that way Saturday night for a headstart. Any takers? It would be an adventure!!

timmbuck2
02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
I will grab firewood also.

timmbuck2
02-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I am now leaving this afternoon!!!! Hopefully I can find everyone tonight...

RockRunner
02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Looks like I will be heading out around 3-5 tonight. If I can't find anybody I will spend the night in the parking lot of the hotel next to Slick Rock.

leiniesred
02-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I made it to town. I'll keep an eye out for you guys.

Otherwise, I'll see you in the morning at mcDonalds.

LiveRust
02-28-2008, 10:34 PM
For those who haven't left yet, It looks like I'm going to be heading down late with Romer's tent. probably won't be there till 10:30. I have a couple cell phone numbers of people who have offered help. I'll give you a call when I get close. My cell number is 801-641-4340

look forward to seeing you. have a safe trip down and wheeling Friday.

Romer
02-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks Troy, I owe you one and who ever hauls it back for me as well.

LiveRust
02-28-2008, 11:21 PM
You owe me more than you know. I was trying to move the tent the other day to reach something in my garage and jammed my toe with it. I'm going to loose the nail on my big toe!:bawl:

Romer
03-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks Troy for hauling my tent to Moab and thanks guys for bringing it home to me.

Romer
03-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I hope these guys make it back ok with the weather. If anyone hears anything post up.

corsair23
03-02-2008, 12:53 PM
x2

Looking at the radar the storm appears to be more of a Front Range storm with the mountains being relatively clear...Might be an awesome day up in the mountains for skiing :D

Hopefully that means the folks have a relatively easy drive home for 90% of it :thumb:

waggoner5
03-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I hurt my back on Friday so mid day Saturday I came home. The weather looked questionable for Sunday at best. I have tried to call Greg, but go no answer.

timmbuck2
03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Rockrunner left early, I left camp at 9:30, the boys were still doing some winch training. Traffic and weather was great until Vail...lots of snow and ice...then a burning mini-van shut I70 down for awhile. Then ski traffic and more snow. Took 6 1/2 hours but I made it home ok...have not heard from anyone else yet.

leiniesred
03-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I made it home without incident.
Last time I called cheeseman and powderpig, they were in glenwood springs. about 45 minutes behind me.

I'll get some images up in a report thread.

Romer
03-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Glad you guys made it back.

Based on the description I got, should I assume Tom was kind enough to haul my tent back?

By the way, the guy that dropped it off is Troy Demill (Live Rust) pres of Wasatch and our trail leader for hole in the rock. A real nice guy.

RockRunner
03-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I did make it back OK around 3:30 yesterday afternoon, just in time to slip into my hockey gear and play two games back to back. To say that I am tired today is an understatement, I came into work two hours late.:(

The drive was a challenge at times while going up and down the passes. Not having the steering wheel tied down made all the difference in the world, I may not buy a diesel after all.:D After Floyd hill traffic came to a stop again due to an accident in the west bound lanes near Cabrini shrine, actually about a mile or two east of there I think.

Coming home after hockey was fine until I got to my house, not a plow insight and about 10" of snow.:mad: I had to put the truck in 4WD to get up the little hill and to our driveway. I needed to turn the truck around and while doing so jackknifed it causing it to break my tail light and something in the tail gate so I can not open it right now.:mad::mad::mad:

Nearly 800 miles and not a mishap till I get 50 feet from the house, to say I was PO is an understatement. I think the whole neighborhood heard me scream some profanities after I saw the damage.:(:mad:

Ken, your tent is in the back of my truck save and sound. Problem is since I can not open the tailgate I can not get anything out. I need to look at it later today and see how I can open it up with out cutting the tonneau cover and or wrecking the tailgate anymore.

Send me you phone number and then we can work out the details. I live in Roxborough, not to far from you.

Romer
03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Tom, I'm in Boston drinking a Sam's sitting in a Hotel Bar. Won't be back till wednesday am, you coming to the meeting this week?

If not I can meet you for lunch and I'm buying

powderpig
03-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Cheeseman and I made it back fairly easy, I left the front drive shaft out and we motored along just fine. I took Cheeseman home and I finally made it home around 8. I did have to drop the drive shaft in for the drive up the home road. But it was a great drive with very little problems with the roads or traffic createing too much of a slow down. all and all a very great weekend. The weather held just fine. Thanks to all for attending and allow Greg and I to have a fun weekend. Later Robbie

Crash
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Robbie and Greg,
Relieved to hear that you scragglers made it home! Had to put the driveshaft back on to make it up "The Hill", did you? Maybe the new tires on the Saab will still leave a little to be desired on our next trio up!!
Wish I'd have been in Moab with youse guys. Sounds like a memorable trip.
:cheers:

Cheeseman and I made it back fairly easy, I left the front drive shaft out and we motored along just fine. I took Cheeseman home and I finally made it home around 8. I did have to drop the drive shaft in for the drive up the home road. But it was a great drive with very little problems with the roads or traffic createing too much of a slow down. all and all a very great weekend. The weather held just fine. Thanks to all for attending and allow Greg and I to have a fun weekend. Later Robbie