PDA

View Full Version : I love my FJ40

subzali
02-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Now all the late nights and hard work and the cold and dark I had to deal with to get my truck back on the road paid for itself last night and this morning. Even with some of the unresolved issues the 40 has (poor heat, steering, etc.) it's worlds better than trying to baby the red truck through weather like this! Let it snow now! :thumb:

MDH33
02-05-2008, 09:32 AM
We need to find you a auxiliary bus heater. I have one connected to the old rear heater lines and it lives under the driver seat. Toasty!

nuclearlemon
02-05-2008, 09:42 AM
We need to find you a auxiliary bus heater. I have one connected to the old rear heater lines and it lives under the driver seat. Toasty!

shouldn't need an auxillary heater. soak the core in lime away and rinse, clean off the rats nest of crap that accumulates on top...mine keeps me toasty.

Beater
02-05-2008, 09:45 AM
the weight of the steel should have helped last night...

MDH33
02-05-2008, 09:52 AM
shouldn't need an auxillary heater. soak the core in lime away and rinse, clean off the rats nest of crap that accumulates on top...mine keeps me toasty.

My front heater works pretty good too, but I usually keep it blowing up onto the windshield. The heater under the seat keeps everything else warm. :)

I had a functional rear heater in my old '78 40, but it doesn't compare. The bus heater has a crazy blower in it, works awesome. Makes the heat in my 60 pale in comparison.

subzali
02-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Yeah it helped on the drive home, though once I got to about Iliff the snow pretty much stopped and it was just wet roads! Though the steel didn't do my thumb much good, it got whacked when I was sliding the steel out of the bed and I think I might have broken it again :(

As far as the heater goes, I just have to figure out why my floor heater fan isn't working (feels warm, but no blower) - I'm getting 10-11V at the connector, so I don't know...been kinda busy fixing other things ;) and then I'll have toasty OEM heat! Also have to replace the thermostat I think, engine isn't reaching normal operating temperature right now...

But having the 4x4, the Lockright, the low range, the ground clearance, the MT/Rs, and now the front bumper/winch plus all the other steel makes me feel SO much better on roads like today!

nakman
02-05-2008, 10:06 AM
You're running around in low range? :eek:

subzali
02-05-2008, 10:16 AM
No ;)

I'm not USING my bumper and winch either ;)

But if I HAD to...:)

Uncle Ben
02-05-2008, 10:46 AM
No ;)

I'm not USING my bumper and winch either ;)

But if I HAD to...:)

You should be fine as long as you stay away from rocks, mud, snow or steep hills! :eek: :p: :lmao: ;)

FJBen
02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah it helped on the drive home, though once I got to about Iliff the snow pretty much stopped and it was just wet roads! Though the steel didn't do my thumb much good, it got whacked when I was sliding the steel out of the bed and I think I might have broken it again :(

As far as the heater goes, I just have to figure out why my floor heater fan isn't working (feels warm, but no blower) - I'm getting 10-11V at the connector, so I don't know...been kinda busy fixing other things ;) and then I'll have toasty OEM heat! Also have to replace the thermostat I think, engine isn't reaching normal operating temperature right now...

But having the 4x4, the Lockright, the low range, the ground clearance, the MT/Rs, and now the front bumper/winch plus all the other steel makes me feel SO much better on roads like today!

PICS!

subzali
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Well blend the basic look from this thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5336) with the installed pieces and parts (3rd members, locker, axle seals, brake booster, paint, wheel cylinders, brake fluid, oil and grease :lmao:) from this thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5335), throw in some snow and there you are!

:eek: :lmao:

Sorry I've been wanting to take pictures, but I can't find my camera cable for my computer, so it doesn't really do me any good to have them...

farnhamstj
02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Those are great days. Driving around in your 20+ year old rig and everything(most everything) is working well. The feeling is second to none. I miss those days. I don't however miss the other ones.

MDH33
02-06-2008, 11:07 AM
30+ year old rig. :thumb: