PDA

View Full Version : Scout died - need help on Saturday

nakman
02-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Two weeks ago I was moving some snow around and the Scout died on me- electrical, everything went dead instantly. The fix ended up being smacking the battery terminals with the back side of a crescent wrench, so I figured must have been a loose ground connection or something. I also posted this issue up on Binder Bulletin and the only suggestions I received were loose battery connections, or the Bulkhead connection on the firewall.. just feel around and look for loose connections, then tighten them.

So last night I'm plowing away and I noticed on two occasions the truck lost all power for a split second, one of the two while I was using the little winch to raise the plow. "Hmm..." I thought, "I should really look at the wiring in there when it's warm this weekend." Well a few minutes later I'm down on the street, and wouldn't you know it the truck dies. Everything goes dark, no power, and an impressive amount of smoke starts pouring out of the engine bay, from the back towards the battery... aw crap. I couldn't get the hood open in time to see what actually was frying, but needless to say the Scout didn't start after that.

I ran up to the house and got in the 80, then drove back down and propped a couple flashlights on both sides of the Scout just so any cars would spot it, then drove to neighbor's house and luckily he was there and willing to help me. After a few failed attempts at strapping the Scout up the driveway, I ended up winching the thing up into a parking spot, where it rests today, that burning electrical smell still lingering inside.

I'm really bad with vehicle electrical stuff.. :rolleyes: anyone who's better at this than me willing to swing by on Saturday morning? It's supposed to be nice out.. my dream is that after some amount of diagnosis, we put a list together, then drive down to Napa, then run some parts back and voila.. please post up if you have any suggestions on what to look for, PM or call 303-250-7573 if you would like to chat and/or need directions. :cheers:

treerootCO
02-06-2008, 09:22 AM
I have had old batteries die that way. Loose terminal (inside the battery) creates heat and bad things happen. Probably just a chaffed wire finding some metal though.

Uncle Ben
02-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Nak,
Depending how sick Megan still is and of course if I catch this crap I think I can come up and help you. Can you take a digi of the problem area so I (whoever) know what they might be getting into?

wesintl
02-06-2008, 09:27 AM
On my 64 the power from the battery to the starter goes through the firewall rib. Well, after 43 years it chaffed and kept shorting out. my 70 is a different story :rant: I'm with TR look for a chaffed wire on one of the power leads.

treerootCO
02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Nak,
Depending how sick Megan still is and of course if I catch this crap I think I can come up and help you. Can you take a digi of the problem area so I (whoever) know what they might be getting into?

Pic of the Scout I for you...Nakman tried to get to Starbucks but the little Scout didn't make it.

Uncle Ben
02-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Pic of the Scout I for you...Nakman tried to get to Starbucks but the little Scout didn't make it.

Wow....didn't know Scouts were that hot! :eek:;)

nuclearlemon
02-06-2008, 09:39 AM
is the battery post still attached to the battery? worth looking at. i've seen a lot of them come completely loose. where's the smell of burning electrical coming from? did the harness catch fire at all?

nakman
02-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Yes the battery posts are still attached. The smell of electrical did not appear to be coming from the battery directly, but more from in the firewall/dash area- it was pouring out the back corner of the hood.

Rzeppa
02-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Yes the battery posts are still attached. The smell of electrical did not appear to be coming from the battery directly, but more from in the firewall/dash area- it was pouring out the back corner of the hood.Tim I'll be happy to help out. Where, and when on Sat?

nakman
02-07-2008, 08:36 AM
PM sent, thanks Jeff! btw, nice to finally see you on the road this morning.. ;)

nakman
02-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Can you take a digi of the problem area so I (whoever) know what they might be getting into?

Ok I've drawn an arrow that clearly shows the problem area... :D

Rzeppa
02-07-2008, 04:01 PM
PM sent, thanks Jeff! btw, nice to finally see you on the road this morning.. ;)

So that was you! I was going up 285 and saw a built 80 coming down, looked like the driver was waving, I didn't have time to wave back. By the time I realized you were giving the cruiser wave we were passed each other.

I get a LOT of cruiser waves from FJCs when I drive my commute leg up 285 from Parmalee Gulch in Indian Hills to North Turkey Creek at West Ranch, especially when I'm in the FJ45. There seems to be a lot more of them than 80s :-)

Now that you're an official Turkey Creek Canyon resident you'll have to sign up for pinecam.com. If you think our board is busy, this one is right up there with mud!

bh4rnnr
02-07-2008, 10:04 PM

Sorry for the hijack, but wow! There is a lot of snow up there:eek: , makes me wonder how the littler 4runner is doing at the cabin...

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 10:27 PM

Nakman made funny! :lmao::lmao:;)

Beater
02-08-2008, 07:46 AM
you may want to pick up a painless kit for an 800 just in case. probably wise. if not needed you could always return it. The napa warehouse on 72nd should have it.

j

nakman
02-08-2008, 08:48 AM
you may want to pick up a painless kit for an 800 just in case. probably wise. if not needed you could always return it. The napa warehouse on 72nd should have it.

j

Yeah I saw those on Summit's site, but they are like $4-500? Not that the Scout isn't cool and all, but that's kinda bordering on more than the truck is worth...

subzali
02-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Just go Treeroot style and get a spool of red wire :hill:

Uncle Ben
02-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah I saw those on Summit's site, but they are like $4-500? Not that the Scout isn't cool and all, but that's kinda bordering on more than the truck is worth...

That Scout is the poster child for basic. Everything you probably smoked will be available at the friendly Napa retailer near you! Well I should clearify....everything your Scout smoked! :rolleyes::lmao:

nakman
02-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Actually, you can probably get that at Napa too.. :smokin:

Red_Chili
02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Just go Treeroot style and get a spool of red wire :hill:
I know of a certain high quality shop who did the same thing!!

SteveH
02-08-2008, 10:23 AM
A simple wiring harness on eBay (the 12 circuit variety) is under $100 - or was a few years back. I might get the 18 circuit one, to have spares. Painless stuff is just too expensive.

Beater
02-08-2008, 11:42 AM
you guys no what I mean. just get a pre-wired harness and drop it in..

60wag
02-08-2008, 02:59 PM
The spot that shorted should be obvious with some digging. I'd repair the problem and get back to pushing snow. The effort it would take to rewire the Scout probably isn't worth it.

Uncle Ben
02-08-2008, 03:01 PM
you guys no what I mean. just get a pre-wired harness and drop it in..

Nope...don't have a clue. It would be best to find out what the problem is before throwing parts at it! Hmmmm...sounds like another conversation lately! ;)

Rzeppa
02-08-2008, 04:24 PM
The spot that shorted should be obvious with some digging. I'd repair the problem and get back to pushing snow. The effort it would take to rewire the Scout probably isn't worth it.
That's my plan when I go up there tomorrow morning ;-)

Beater
02-08-2008, 05:05 PM
jeez ub... i mean that it fawking cold out, and if the harness is fried, it sure would be nice to have something right there handy so you could just knock it out... if you don't need it, take it back to the store...

darn your testy lately...

Uncle Ben
02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
jeez ub... i mean that it fawking cold out, and if the harness is fried, it sure would be nice to have something right there handy so you could just knock it out... if you don't need it, take it back to the store...

darn your testy lately...

Sorry John....that was a lot colder than intended! I'm sorry! Faceless communication of the internet rears it's ugly head again! My point is the same but the presentation was off base.

Rzeppa
02-08-2008, 07:18 PM
In my experience, repairing a single wire is a LOT quicker and easier than replacing an entire harness. Whilst the latter can save potential issues down the road, the former is what I think we will need to do to get Tim's plow rig back plowing again in short order.

Uncle Ben
02-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Well..........is it alive again? :confused:

nakman
02-09-2008, 08:12 PM
It lives. Culprit was a wire under the dash that wasn't connected to anything, that must have grounded out the other night. All of the insulation was burned off, over probably 18" of 18ga wire. So it got clipped off then taped up, also I disconnected the wiring for the original plow controller that I removed when it quit working, so in general we cleaned up a little wiring and it seems to be working fine.

As a bonus, Jeff showed me where my heater valve is, and I was able to experience heat inside the truck today for the first time. Drove it around in the driveway for about an hour, all seems well. Thanks again for your help, Jeff! :beer:

:risingsun: