PDA

View Full Version : TIGeR TEAMS

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I just wanted to start a thread on the COHVCO TT guy at the meeting. What a great presentation! Even though I'm pretty familier with the program, his live presentation had me ready to get deeper involved on the spot! What are some other takes on the presentation?

Romer
02-07-2008, 10:49 AM
I thought it was excellent, I felt bad we couldn't give him more time.

My only concern is that we don't have a current database showing the Inventory and what trails are or have already been taken care of relative to the GPS mapping. This would allow clubs to focus on those that have not been done yet and reduce overlap.

Very important effort, and I would like to follow up and see if his suggestion of having 2 club members works as our interface with them and take the lead on mapping what needs to be done.

DaveInDenver
02-07-2008, 10:59 AM
I wasn't aware that we were working under a Sept 2009 deadline. I think the club needs to buy everyone a GPS (and Dean a computer) so that we can inventory the heck out of the state this summer. :-)

Red_Chili
02-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Jenny Creek is one of the roads that is not in the system. :eek:

There are cherrystem routes off of Jenny Creek that are also not in the system, and need to be inventoried. They make nifty loops and lighten the impact and traffic on Jenny Creek itself. They are not formally closed, they are numbered, and were slated to be closed back in the 70s but never were due to funding. We need to argue - STRENUOUSLY - that they be retained for the reasons I mentioned. Officially, they are 'ways', not roads.

Adam Mehlberg is keeping track of routes in Boulder Ranger District. We do need a team of people working with him and with Brant Wobig of the CCRD to make sure everything is on the books. Brant is pretty darn efficient, so I suspect CCRD is in better shape, but you know what they say about assumptions.

Sounds like a job for the Land Use Committee members, EH! (Subzali and AxleIke)

nuclearlemon
02-07-2008, 12:48 PM
i've sat through it three times now (central district meeting, state meeting and now ours) and each time, i just shocks me to see the slide with trails that are open now vs. trails that will be open.

one slide we didn't get a chance to see was the mapping of spring creek. keep in mind that the gov't maps were done in the 50s when there wasn't gps. someone hiked/skiied/rode the trail and drew it on a map. george and a few other motorcyclists did a track log on spring creek and it wasn't even close to the government maps.

i also like the deal that shows that our environmental footprint, even multiplied by 10 is still less than 1 percent.

nuclearlemon
02-07-2008, 12:49 PM
when i get home tonight, i'll post up george's info.

the tiger teams sign up is at www.cohvco.com, or you can reach it through the state association website...www.hightrails.org

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I wasn't aware that we were working under a Sept 2009 deadline. I think the club needs to buy everyone a GPS (and Dean a computer) so that we can inventory the heck out of the state this summer. :-)

Start using those edjukation skilz and write up a grant. I'm sure if all the RS members got mapping software and GPS's they would be very eager to map everything they can! :thumb:

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
when i get home tonight, i'll post up george's info.

the tiger teams sign up is at www.cohvco.com, or you can reach it through the state association website...www.hightrails.org

Thanks Ige but a correction would be http://www.cohvco.org :thumb: Also, if the club would get involved with this I (my company) will donate the cost of the full software George talked about. :cool:

wesintl
02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I think Dean can legitimately sue the fs. Just because someone doesn't have a computer or gps shouldn't be denied access ;)

I think if someone ( I dunno if mike volunteered or not) took point of adding the gpx and sending to on. Members could just have the responsibility of getting out and gps'ing the route and then posting it or sending it to him.

I guess I need to get one... :(

Romer
02-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I guess I need to get one... :(

Why not, you did get an 80. Next will be a HAM radio

DaveInDenver
02-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Start using those edjukation skilz and write up a grant. I'm sure if all the RS members got mapping software and GPS's they would be very eager to map everything they can! :thumb:
Interesting. Setting some of the wheels in motion... Just throwing this out, think the club could be willing to spend some funds for GPS units if we could get them at cost? I'm working the aerospace angle (even though I have nothing to do with the user end of GPS) but I don't get a warm and fuzzy that Garmin, Magellan or Trimble are ones to just donate receivers for free very often. I wondering if the way to go might be talking to Toyota, Jeep, Hummer, Yamaha, Honda, etc. and getting them to pony up some money to provide GPS boxes to help map trails for people to drive the vehicles they're trying to cram down our throats.

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Interesting. Setting some of the wheels in motion... Just throwing this out, think the club could be willing to spend some funds for GPS units if we could get them at cost? I'm working the aerospace angle (even though I have nothing to do with the user end of GPS) but I don't get a warm and fuzzy that Garmin, Magellan or Trimble are ones to just donate receivers for free very often. I wondering if the way to go might be talking to Toyota, Jeep, Hummer, Yamaha, Honda, etc. and getting them to pony up some money to provide GPS boxes to help map trails for people to drive the vehicles they're trying to cram down our throats.

You definitely are onto something! I will approach Boulder Toyota about this also. I bet if I can sell the idea of having one of our sponsors backing such a great for the public project they might just go for it. But then again with folks supporting a New Mexico Toyota dealership instead maybe they should do the contacting. :rolleyes:

Red_Chili
02-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Curiously enough, Colleen with the Jamestown Water Quality Coalition is pretty darn savvy about writing grants and might be a source of info. She has been helpful, if not always completely in alignment with OHV interests. Nice lady too.

George from Arvada Cycle is also on the OHV Grant Committee and will be more than willing to help. :thumb: Wanna take point on this, Dave?

subzali
02-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I think it would be great to go down the checklist of trails that we know and love and double check to make sure they're inventoried, complete, and correct. George mentioned Spring Creek, Lamartine, Red Elephant Hill area, Jenny Creek, and many other areas in the Boulder Ranger District. I'm going to get a GPS before the snow is all melted off and start learning about this stuff! I have also been intrested in getting in contact with a couple of our local ranger districts to go over the official maps that they have and make sure stuff is included.

powderpig
02-07-2008, 02:27 PM
I am off to get some more training on the new vechicles the TT will be using this time out. I may even run into some marketing types for toyota. I will try to converse some on this topic and if there is interest, who know's maybe even money for fuel and time(never know, shoot for the moon). Seriously If several motor companies that sell OHV chip in money, there could be a budget to employ people to get this done. At least maybe supply equipment and fuel, maybe some compensation for people. Biggest reason to me is if there are no roads to go and play on, then no reason to sell OHV. Any how I am going to look at some info the best I can and see if some one from Toyota is at the training to gauge interest.
Back on Wed, late. later Robbie

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I am off to get some more training on the new vechicles the TT will be using this time out. I may even run into some marketing types for toyota. I will try to converse some on this topic and if there is interest, who know's maybe even money for fuel and time(never know, shoot for the moon). Seriously If several motor companies that sell OHV chip in money, there could be a budget to employ people to get this done. At least maybe supply equipment and fuel, maybe some compensation for people. Biggest reason to me is if there are no roads to go and play on, then no reason to sell OHV. Any how I am going to look at some info the best I can and see if some one from Toyota is at the training to gauge interest.
Back on Wed, late. later Robbie

Very cool Robbie! Good luck with that and the training! Cya when you get back all learnned and stuff! ;)

wesintl
02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
I think the club could buy a couple of etrex's I know they ain't all that fancy for $99 but they could do the job and say whomever submit's the most .gpx get's it in sept 09.

nuclearlemon
02-07-2008, 03:26 PM
George from Arvada Cycle is also on the OHV Grant Committee and will be more than willing to help. :thumb: Wanna take point on this, Dave?

so is gene king...kinda nice to have two ohv folks on there. there's a rumor that only half of the almost two million available is allocated this year and there may be another chance to apply for grants in the end of march, early april.

gene king has said that he will help clubs write grants. i'll ask him if it's possible to request a grant for gps units.

timmbuck2
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Red_Chili;61424]Curiously enough, Colleen with the Jamestown Water Quality Coalition is pretty darn savvy about writing grants and might be a source of info. She has been helpful, if not always completely in alignment with OHV interests. Nice lady too./QUOTE]

My :Princess: is a VP muckity muck for a non-profit and is good at grant proposals. I am sure if I promise to not bring home any more land cruisers for awhile she will help out. :)

T

Bikeman
02-07-2008, 03:39 PM
That was a great, eye-opening presentation.

I will be doing a lot of epic rides for training this upcoming season on the mountain bike, more so than in the cruiser. It would not be much effort to throw a borrowed gps into a riding jersey pocket. Believe it or not, a mountain bike can cover a lot of ground in a hurry if the rider is in shape. For example, I did all of Red Cone from 285 and Radical Hill to Montezuma in a few hours, passing Heeps.

nuclearlemon
02-07-2008, 08:32 PM
here's george's email if anyone has any questions
george@arvadacycle.com

Red_Chili
02-08-2008, 08:51 AM
so is gene king...kinda nice to have two ohv folks on there. there's a rumor that only half of the almost two million available is allocated this year and there may be another chance to apply for grants in the end of march, early april.

gene king has said that he will help clubs write grants. i'll ask him if it's possible to request a grant for gps units.
I also heard that at the BRD meeting. Gopher it! Who will take point on this?

nuclearlemon
02-09-2008, 07:40 PM
looks like gps units might be possible...here's gene's response

"I think it would be. And we are having a 2nd grant application this spring because we have so much money left over.
I'm planning on putting a grant together for $ to help cover gas costs of the people who GPS roads for the 4x4 TIGeR Team, I could add some GPS units.
I just bought a Garmin 76CSx for $305 from Wal-Mart on-line and with holders and upgraded SD chip would be around $400 to 425.

Gene"

Red_Chili
02-10-2008, 04:57 PM
The 76CSx and 60CSx are very close in design, the 60 gets the nod because of the case ruggedness only. Good units. Very usable on a dirt bike... sorry folks, but I can GPS an entire area in the time it takes a 4x4 to GPS a short section of trail. Just sayin'.

Iron Chest boulders might not be too much fun on a 650cc dirt bike though. Or any dirt bike shy of a trials bike. :lmao: