PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a new F engine head and accessories?

motoloco
02-07-2008, 01:13 PM
This is a FEB 73', put ALL new cap, rotor, wires, points, water pump, therm housing, fuel pump, gaskets, HEAD from GUNN engines, hoses etc.. sanblasted and painted valve cover, side plate etc.... put it all back togather and ZERO comp. on cyl. 6:rant: I guess you win some and lose some. Anyway, thinking of aborting mission in favor of a 2F/4speed and t-case. I realize I cant get all my $$ back out that I put in her in the last couple weeks, but make a reasonable offer for everything, if you also want the block/tranny/t-case you can have it for free. Or if you have a good F block of 2f stuff let me know. want to get rid of everything togather. thanks

wesintl
02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
crap dude.. you're way past halfway there. Just replace #6

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 01:19 PM
This is a FEB 73', put ALL new cap, rotor, wires, points, water pump, therm housing, fuel pump, gaskets, HEAD from GUNN engines, hoses etc.. sanblasted and painted valve cover, side plate etc.... put it all back togather and ZERO comp. on cyl. 6:rant: I guess you win some and lose some. Anyway, thinking of aborting mission in favor of a 2F/4speed and t-case. I realize I cant get all my $$ back out that I put in her in the last couple weeks, but make a reasonable offer for everything, if you also want the block/tranny/t-case you can have it for free. Or if you have a good F block of 2f stuff let me know. want to get rid of everything togather. thanks

Rather than aborting the mission have you determined why there is no compression? Did it have compression before you put the new head on? With the very little info you posted I would have to think you have a valve hanging for some reason. A good running F can hang with a 2F! The killer is the tranny ratio's

nuclearlemon
02-07-2008, 03:55 PM
A good running F can hang with a 2F! The killer is the tranny ratio's
when dad was alive, he had a 73 that would put you back in the seat. i asked him what he did and he said he just tuned it up:eek: i've never had a stock motor that felt so dang powerful!!! f's rock!

put the f head on the 2f for a bit more compression.

motoloco
02-07-2008, 07:02 PM
I wish you guys were right about the valve issue, but I put 120psi into the spark plug hole and it came out the block not the carb/exhaust, then, I removed the head and did the alcohol test (not what your thinking:D) the liquid sat on top of 1-5 pistons and ran through #6 within 30 sec. pulled the motor out lastnight and the rearmain cap bolts WERE OVER HALF WAY OUT:eek: must of been who ever did the clutch most recently. Anyway the cylinder looked great and it ran fine other than a miss!!!! what was the HP difference between a f and 2f? I think I have heard 115 and 135????THANKS

motoloco
02-07-2008, 07:06 PM
HEY wait!........ I can use the new F head on a 2f block?????? I didnt waste my money on the head?:thumb:

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I wish you guys were right about the valve issue, but I put 120psi into the spark plug hole and it came out the block not the carb/exhaust, then, I removed the head and did the alcohol test (not what your thinking:D) the liquid sat on top of 1-5 pistons and ran through #6 within 30 sec. pulled the motor out lastnight and the rearmain cap bolts WERE OVER HALF WAY OUT:eek: must of been who ever did the clutch most recently. Anyway the cylinder looked great and it ran fine other than a miss!!!! what was the HP difference between a f and 2f? I think I have heard 115 and 135????THANKS

If the cylinder wals are not scored, piston is still whole and the main cap didn't get hammered, then obviously you have a broken compression ring. You can get one set of rings from Toy....might be worth your efforts to fix what you have. Your figures sound about right. the cams are the same profie....biggest difference is the intake and carb. F's usually have more compression!

motoloco
02-07-2008, 07:17 PM
all the other 5 cyls were between 100 and 105 cold at 7500', is that acceptable? I talked to one who said she is pretty tired and another that said that is great for up here?????

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 07:32 PM
all the other 5 cyls were between 100 and 105 cold at 7500', it aht acceptable? I talked to one who said she is pretty tired and another that said that in great for up here?????

Acceptable yes....strong no....

motoloco
02-07-2008, 07:46 PM
maybe I could just roll new rings in all the cyl. Hmmmmm

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
maybe I could just roll new rings in all the cyl. Hmmmmm

Depends on the taper of the cyl's. If the new rings don't seat, you're back to square one less $100+! F's run good but if your faced with a rebuild you will be ahead by spending the money on a 2F mainly because of the better oiling system! Tough call! If you can get by by band-aiding the dead cylinder into a live one then you are money ahead. If you decide to rebuild you would be ahead to start with a better platform. Pull #6 and determine your future! ;)

motoloco
02-07-2008, 10:47 PM
if I just do #6 ill have like 125 psi in #6 and 100-105 in the other 5, they should be within 5% of each other right?

Uncle Ben
02-07-2008, 11:25 PM
if I just do #6 ill have like 125 psi in #6 and 100-105 in the other 5, they should be within 5% of each other right?

Like chickens and unhatched eggs....don't tally up your numbers until you find out what up in 6! And.....125/100 is closer than 100/0!

motoloco
02-08-2008, 05:32 AM
I am checking on this NEW oem 72'-73' block spector has in their clearance section for $528, would probably be another $4-500 to ship to colorado though.:beer:

motoloco
02-08-2008, 05:36 AM
I am going to have sooo much $$$ in this rig I will have to sell my wifes new runner and put her in this 40, she will love commuting this to denver every day!

MDH33
02-08-2008, 09:12 AM
So what gives? When you first posted this rig for sale on MUD you said "...it has one of the strongest 1f's I have ever driven..." Now it needs a rebuild? :rolleyes:

motoloco
02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
You can verify it with a buddy that rode in it with me!!!!!!!!!!!!! It pulled stronger than his rebuilt f engine! I just redid the head because it looked like **** in there, THATS WHY we did'nt give the bottom end a 2nd thought and put it ALL back togather, would'nt of wasted my time if it was not strong, pre-head! Does this make sence to you? In fact thats what I asked the guys at GUNN, told them how strong it was and how it lost all comp in 6 after the new head, they said any varnished fuel CAN act like pouring sugar in the tank and can destroy comp rings:confused: I did pull the tank, flush it, and put on new fuel filter, pump and some sea foam in the carb. But I did start it before all that and drove her down the road, maybe I F'ed it up?

MDH33
02-08-2008, 11:23 AM
So if the loss of compression came on that suddenly, then it might back up what Kevin said about the problem just being a bad ring? That would be a pretty easy fix and not require a whole new block. post up what you find when you open it up.

motoloco
02-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I already took it out flipped the blocked and took off the pan, the cyl looks great,crank and pistons look ok, ( but I am not a motor guy) no obvious sings of problems, kinda wierd.