PDA

View Full Version : Register online now for CRUISE MOAB 2006!!!

Hulk
01-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Cruise Moab 2006 will be held from May 3rd - 7th, 2006.

We are now officially accepting registrations! Register early and get your first choice of trails on the days that you want them. The fees are all the same as last year. Online registration is easy and quick. You can pay with a credit card or your PayPal account. If you don't do e-commerce, you can still print the registration form and mail a check if you prefer.

Cruise Moab 2006 Online Registration (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/cmregister.asp)
Info about Cruise Moab 2006 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/cruisemoab.asp)
Cool pictures from Cruise Moab 2005 on ih8mud (http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=43554&highlight=cruise+moab)
Also, we're always looking for volunteers to help with everything from tech inspection to leading trails. If you're interested, please fill out the volunteer form on the information page and send it in!

Would some of you ih8mud and Pirate4x4 folks please re-post this information in the appropriate places? Thanks!!

nakman
01-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Yahoo!!! Matt, the general info page still has Slickrock Campground as the HQ..

edit: also the .pdf link to the volunteer form doesn't work for me.. Excel does. :confused:

IanB
01-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Do I need to register if I am not doing any runs? I was going to mtn bike and volunteer to help, the 40 wont be ready. :confused:

Romer
01-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Since I have to register Rachel sperately, I plan on using my same TLCA number. Is there a problem with that

wesintl
01-02-2006, 09:01 PM
I just read the "live from moab" thread from last year....

I'm stoked for 2006 :D

Romer
01-02-2006, 09:46 PM
BTW- I'll turn in my volunteer form, but I am happy to gun one or two if you need me to.

I am picking trails that Rachel can do on her own in her 4runner

Thur - Elephant Hill
Fri - Fins and Things
Sat - Wipe Out Hill

I would be happy to change the order of Fri and Sat if that helps with assignments. I wanted to do Elephant Hill Thursday because its a long day and I want to get it out of the way early.

I also will volunteer to help with the dinner, registration or what ever else you need. Both Rachel and Sarah will be there as well and I think they both could help with registration and selling stuff. In fact, I would really like it if they could help at both regsitration and the dinner.

Thought I would post this because I can't make it to the meeting this week, on a Business trip.

Ken

Kipper
01-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Yahoo!!! Matt, the general info page still has Slickrock Campground as the HQ..

edit: also the .pdf link to the volunteer form doesn't work for me.. Excel does. :confused:

Ooooh, I totally forgot to change the Slickrock info. Someone PM me the new HQ info. Well actually I can probably find it on the pdf.

tim - I'll check on the volunteer form.

:D

wesintl
01-03-2006, 09:21 AM
So what's up with the multiple camping in rv spots.. Is it going to happen? I think we need to let folks on MUD and other places know what's up with Spanish Trail RV with regards to camping, RV,'s etc. Esp with the change.

treerootCO
01-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Can someone recommend some trails for me? I ran fins and kane creek last year and rode along on behind the rocks and wipeout hill.

I would also like to know where we are with the campground. All we are asking for is the ability to have multiple tents in the RV spots at a resonable price.

wesintl
01-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Can someone recommend some trails for me?

Spike, behind the rocks, pritchett :eek: You'll be fine :o course I dunno what i'm talking about as I've never been on any of them but I know you could do it :p

Hulk
01-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Can someone recommend some trails for me? I ran fins and kane creek last year and rode along on behind the rocks and wipeout hill.

If you haven't done Golden Spike, you should do it. Great trail. Elephant Hill is also really awesome. Moab Rim is way cool too.

Matt

Uncle Ben
01-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Spike, behind the rocks, pritchett :eek: You'll be fine :o course I dunno what i'm talking about as I've never been on any of them but I know you could do it :p

Hey "Stumpy",
Wes is right on with his recomendations. One of my favorite trails is Metal Masher also, optional obsticles are a kick in the butt! If your not going out early I suggest leaving Sat open and go out on an outlaw run! :eek:

74fj40
01-03-2006, 09:01 PM
quick question, i still havent gotten through to get a camp site, how do i go about doing this?

Hulk
01-03-2006, 10:53 PM
quick question, i still havent gotten through to get a camp site, how do i go about doing this?

We need to call the campsite, officially. I'm going to talk with Dave Brown about this. We also have the issue of multiple tents on RV sites. Bear with us -- this is our first year at this campground.

Beater
01-04-2006, 07:07 PM
here's a question.

I haven't received my tlca number yet, nor have I received my member ship "packet" I have been trying for two months.

Can I still register?

j

Hulk
01-04-2006, 07:33 PM
here's a question.

I haven't received my tlca number yet, nor have I received my member ship "packet" I have been trying for two months.

Can I still register?

j

Yes, of course. Just do your best to be a TLCA member by the beginning of May when you arrive in Moab.

Hulk
01-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Just downloaded the stats from PayPal. 20 people have paid their registration fees for CM2006. That's in three days since the form went live.

FYI, we'll accept ~160 paid registrants this year.

Beater
01-04-2006, 08:18 PM
as I mentioned at the last meeting, I have all of the topo maps for utah, including the national park set. I would think that these would be useful for the event, and we could also actually gps route them for future knowledge.

Rzeppa mentioned a "members only" area to post the information, but I don't have the double secret password yet.

I am open to other options as well. Nudge nudge wink wink

Rzeppa
01-05-2006, 12:00 AM
as I mentioned at the last meeting, I have all of the topo maps for utah, including the national park set. I would think that these would be useful for the event, and we could also actually gps route them for future knowledge.

Rzeppa mentioned a "members only" area to post the information, but I don't have the double secret password yet.

I am open to other options as well. Nudge nudge wink winkThe Charles Wells Moab trail guide has GPS waypoints for all the trails we do. I also have a set of really nice laminated topo maps I got a couple years ago, can't remember the publisher: the maps are packed away right now due to my in-progress home remodeling. It's kind of like moving: half my stuff is in boxes :-(

Webmaster Wes will have to enable your username for the members-only area. There's no "secret" password, it is a matter of his configuring the forum software to allow certain usernames access to certain areas. There are also areas for Cruise Moab committee members and for Rally committee members. When you log in, all areas for which you have been given permissions will simply show up along with the public areas: general, trip report, for sale and land use.

My recollection was that we voted you in at the December meeting, but you didn't have an application to submit (you said Bill Morgan had it?). We also will need dues. I'm sure Wes can get you access in the mean time. We trust you, but I do need that application so I can get you entered into the roster.

wesintl
01-05-2006, 10:44 AM
I normally wait til Jeff add's the person to the roster.

John... you should be good to go on the Forum. Let me know if you have any issues. Welcome :p

Rzeppa
01-05-2006, 10:53 AM
I normally wait til Jeff add's the person to the roster.Yes, this was an unusual situation in that he was voted in, but no dues or application. Normally that stuff is all done at the same time.

I will admit, I seldom update and upload the roster the instant any new member is voted in. Typically I save the info and then update approximately quarterly, or when requested (Stevinson).

Since my computer crashed, I haven't reinstalled either excel or acrobat so I couldn't do it instantly anyway. I am planning to buy XP and upgrade my OS, so I'm waiting on that before I bother to reinstall a lot of my apps.

Beater
01-05-2006, 12:57 PM
I normally wait til Jeff add's the person to the roster.

John... you should be good to go on the Forum. Let me know if you have any issues. Welcome :p

no problem. I forgot all about the application. Do I still need a recomending party? IF so, Bill's coming over I think saturday, so I can have him sign off then.

can I pay pal the dues?

Hulk
01-05-2006, 11:14 PM
can I pay pal the dues?

Not yet, but it's in discussion.

Hulk
01-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Just downloaded the latest from PayPal -- we have 31 registrants for CM2006 so far. We launched the online registration on Jan. 2, so that's about 9 days. We'll register ~160 vehicles this year, so we're almost at 20%.

Of course, that's not counting those who will be sending in their registrations via snail mail.

cxs
01-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Mentioned CM to my wife and she said "Let's go!" so it looks like we'll be registering after getting some beginner tips from you guys. My 62 is pretty much stock (31's, no lift, no locker) so what trails do you suggest? What does a total newbie need to know? Thanks.

Red Truck
01-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Hey guys, The Cascade Cruisers out of Portland Oregon are expecting 13 trucks so far from our club making the trip to cm 06. We just love that 1100 mile drive :beer:

Uncle Ben
01-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey guys, The Cascade Cruisers out of Portland Oregon are expecting 13 trucks so far from our club making the trip to cm 06. We just love that 1100 mile drive :beer:

Thats awesome! Enjoy the drive be careful and get ready for some red rockin'! :bowdown: :beer:

Red Truck
01-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Thats awesome! Enjoy the drive be careful and get ready for some red rockin'! :bowdown: :beer:
Ya, "RED Rockin" would be from my lt slider on rusty nail last year, Little tight :)

treerootCO
01-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I registered today! :)

My fear of the unknown makes me wonder if these are good choices for me.

Thursday 1: Metal Masher
Friday 1: Behind the Rocks
Saturday 1: Golden Spike

nakman
01-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Hey Red Truck, thanks for invading our forum!! (only fitting.. :rolleyes: ) I remember talking to you last year about your MetalTech cage & fenders.. looking forward to seeing you guys out in Moab again.

wesintl
01-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Mentioned CM to my wife and she said "Let's go!" so it looks like we'll be registering after getting some beginner tips from you guys. My 62 is pretty much stock (31's, no lift, no locker) so what trails do you suggest? What does a total newbie need to know? Thanks.

Elephant hill is really scenic and is alot of fun with Cheesman at the helm. Should be doable stock with 31's A couple spots you might drag.

Definatly fins and things, again some dragging , and maybe porcupine rim?

cxs
01-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Elephant hill is really scenic and is alot of fun with Cheesman at the helm. Should be doable stock with 31's A couple spots you might drag.

Definatly fins and things, again some dragging , and maybe porcupine rim?

Thanks Wes, anyone else have an opinion? C'mon guys, help a new guy out! :bowdown:

I promise I won't hold bad suggestions against you unless you suggest something like metal masher :eek:

wesintl
01-13-2006, 03:26 PM
I promise I won't hold bad suggestions against you unless you suggest something like metal masher :eek:

what about STEEL BENDER :eek: :D

Here a pretty decent online trail desc with some pics. It still doesn't do it justice though.

http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm

Rzeppa
01-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks Wes, anyone else have an opinion? C'mon guys, help a new guy out! :bowdown:

I promise I won't hold bad suggestions against you unless you suggest something like metal masher :eek:Basically you've been getting pretty good advice. I've done the following in a bone stock (open diffs, stock gears, stock suspension, etc.) FJ40 on 31s:

Elephant Hill
Fins & Things
Steelbender

Porcupine Rim is pretty easy too. We're doing a new trail this year called Chicken Corner that's supposed to be rated 2, which would be easier than anything we've run in the past.

The biggest thing I would suggest for you to do for your wagon is get some rocker protection. Sliders are some of the easier things to fab for really cheap and they're pretty important for wagons. Probably about $30 worth of steel and a rattle can of paint and you're good to go. In fact I even saw on the LCML today where there's free 1/4" thick by 3" to 5" diameter tubing for free in the Denver area. I don't have a bender and notcher though, so whenever I build stuff it's with square tubing or c-channel :-)

Rzeppa
01-13-2006, 03:44 PM
I forgot to mention...my avatar is a photo of said stock FJ40 on Steelbender (http://rzeppa.org/cm2k/cm2kwed.htm) at Cruise Moab 2000. Yeee Haaaa!

cxs
01-13-2006, 05:07 PM
The biggest thing I would suggest for you to do for your wagon is get some rocker protection.

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. I do have some hefty sliders made by Jim (2badfjs) which was one of the first things I did. Guess it's time to bang them up a bit :)

2badfjs
01-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback Jeff. I do have some hefty sliders made by Jim (2badfjs) which was one of the first things I did. Guess it's time to bang them up a bit :)

DO IT CHRIS......

psssst... no warranty ;)

FJBen
01-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Random question...

trying to get finances together for Moab, what is everyone paying "ballpark" or should I set aside for CM2006? I would be driving and sleeping in the pig...

2badfjs
01-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Random question...

trying to get finances together for Moab, what is everyone paying "ballpark" or should I set aside for CM2006? I would be driving and sleeping in the pig...

are you camping at the campsite "headquarters"?
my boss has camped on BLM land for like $4. per night

my wife and i are staying at the KOA(cabin :Princess: )
$50. per night :rolleyes:

i'm figuring $500.-$600. with gas :eek:

cxs
01-13-2006, 07:59 PM
psssst... no warranty ;)

no warranty? Hey, if I break those a warranty would be my last concern :eek:

Okay I'm in, thanks Wes, took your suggestions for my picks.

Thanks for all your help :bowdown:

Now I'm just looking for a room w/shower for :Princess:

cxs
01-15-2006, 04:40 PM
I forgot to mention...my avatar is a photo of said stock FJ40 on Steelbender (http://rzeppa.org/cm2k/cm2kwed.htm) at Cruise Moab 2000. Yeee Haaaa!

You know Jeff, I really like that photo. :)

:eek: it just scares me! :eek:

Rzeppa
01-15-2006, 05:27 PM
You know Jeff, I really like that photo. :)

:eek: it just scares me! :eek:I'll tell you the truth, the first time I went to Moab my first trail scared the cr@p out of me. Before I went, I was apprehensive. Then-Rising Sun Commander and wheeling-mentor Rob Merideth counseled "pick your lines, it's more driver than rig". He was totally right. You don't need a built-up rock crawler point-and-shoot rig to have fun on these trails.

And speaking of mentors, our trail leaders are among the best there are. They (we) will help spot you through whatever the obstacle is. One of the coolest things about Rising Sun and TLCA is how we help each other out, it's about learning from each other.

Bobzooki
01-16-2006, 01:17 PM
We're doing a new trail this year called Chicken Corner that's supposed to be rated 2, which would be easier than anything we've run in the past.

Chicken Corners is a really scenic route, over Harrah Pass, and over to the river. It's easy for the vehicles, but maybe not as easy for the drivers (that's where the name comes from). The first Chicken Corner, is a driving Chicken Corner. There's a big dropoff to the right, to the Colorado River.

The second Chicken Corner, the "original" Chicken Corner, is a walking Chicken Corner.

Let's see if I have a pic...

Here's a shaky pic of my old dog Bear, on the walking Chicken Corner...

[img=http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/7918/dcp01759tm.th.jpg] (http://img464.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp01759tm.jpg)

Hulk
01-25-2006, 11:59 AM
As of yesterday, Jan. 24, we have 61 people who have registered for Cruise Moab using the online registration. This does not count the people who have sent in their paper registrations by mail. We will likely accept ~160 registrants, although we are still discussing this with the BLM (we may be allowed fewer this year).

It's going to be a great year. I just talked with one of the guys who is organizing the FJ Cruiser trail team. They are planning to have four FJs on the trail every day (on four different trails every day so they will allow as many people to check them out as possible!)

bigbluefj
02-07-2006, 08:13 PM
So who going to be there around the 1st i'll leaving on the 29th that give's me two day's to get there i hope to get there late on the 30th or early on the 1st will see i'm coming alone this year so the drive will be a bit longer for me no need to rush it's a nice drive from canmore to moab..

kevin from canmore ab canada

Rzeppa
02-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Many arrive Sunday or Monday, well before the event. You won't be alone!

nakman
02-07-2006, 08:59 PM
We're going out the weekend before, will be there Saturday evening to catch the hotrod show downtown. Will be at the Spanish Trails with our popup, I'm sure you'll find us!

bh4rnnr
02-07-2006, 09:36 PM
We're going out the weekend before, will be there Saturday evening to catch the hotrod show downtown. Will be at the Spanish Trails with our popup, I'm sure you'll find us!

Glad to see your making it out for the show Tim :D . Lots of fun. When are you getting there Saturday? Tghe show itself is usualy mid day saturday. Saturday night is the big night on main street where all the rods cruise up and down. Good times :beer: .

Rezarf
02-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Is the campground full for CM06? That would suck, but I read it on Mud today. I would love to be with the "Gang"... especially being a newbie. Anyone?

thanks-

Drew

Hulk
02-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Is the campground full for CM06? That would suck, but I read it on Mud today. I would love to be with the "Gang"... especially being a newbie.

We're still attempting to talk with them. The word is that they have spaces for RVs but no more tent campers. We're going to volunteer to rent some Porta-Potties to help ease the bathroom situation, and ask her to start accepting tent camper reservations again.

Rezarf
02-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Matt-

When should I call?

Drew

nakman
02-08-2006, 12:52 PM
When are you getting there Saturday?
Not sure, probably won't get there until later in the afternoon. Depends on how long it takes to get everything loaded up on Saturday morning, the dogs off the kennel, etc. The real "show" is later at night anyway, when everyone's dragging main and it turns into "hotrod girls gone wild." :eek: :D

wesintl
02-08-2006, 01:34 PM
The real "show" is later at night anyway, when everyone's dragging main and it turns into "hotrod girls gone wild." :eek: :D

I wish that were the case... It was still pretty fun but the cops were cracking down on burnouts and girls gone wild.

It was more like girls gone lame :hill:

Rezarf
02-13-2006, 12:00 PM
We're still attempting to talk with them. The word is that they have spaces for RVs but no more tent campers. We're going to volunteer to rent some Porta-Potties to help ease the bathroom situation, and ask her to start accepting tent camper reservations again.

Any word on the campsites, I am making reservations somewhere this week. I would like to be at the HQ. Can anyone recommend a "backup" site that is close to the HQ site? I have never been to Moab and dont even know where to start to look.

Thanks again!

Drew <><

Red_Chili
02-13-2006, 01:01 PM
The KOA is in that neck of the woods. There may be restrictions on working on the vehicle- usually not an issue for Toyota owners... <sniggering sounds>

Hulk
02-13-2006, 11:19 PM
The Moab KOA campground (http://www.moabkoa.com/) is right across the street. They may be full by now!

Snorkel 1
02-15-2006, 12:42 AM
I registered on-line for CM2006. When can we find out if we have a spot and if so which trails we will be running? I guess I am just too excited to wait. Thanks.

Snorkel 1
02-15-2006, 12:52 AM
I would like to bring my dog to the event. Is this going to be a problem? Any suggestions for having them there? Any information is greatly appretiated. Thanks.

Rzeppa
02-15-2006, 09:18 AM
I registered on-line for CM2006. When can we find out if we have a spot and if so which trails we will be running? I guess I am just too excited to wait. Thanks.We'll start the trail assignment process within the next week or two. Registrants will get an email or snail mail indicating which trails for which days. Normally this isn't done until late March/early April, but we filled so quickly this year we'll be able to get started sooner.

Rzeppa
02-15-2006, 09:20 AM
I would like to bring my dog to the event. Is this going to be a problem? Any suggestions for having them there? Any information is greatly appretiated. Thanks.Dogs must be on a leash at all times, except when inside the vehicle. Make sure to bring plenty of water for them on the trail. While on public land, poop must be scooped! :-)

nakman
02-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Also there are a few areas (like Elephant Hill) that don't allow dogs at all. But others (like Kane Creek) that would be great for a dog.. if you like red mud that is :)

Is the event full yet? Last week we were down to 30 or so slots...

Rzeppa
02-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Also there are a few areas (like Elephant Hill) that don't allow dogs at all. But others (like Kane Creek) that would be great for a dog.. if you like red mud that is :)

Is the event full yet? Last week we were down to 30 or so slots...You're right, I had forgotten that Canyonlands National Park does not allow dogs at all.

You were at the meeting last Wednesday where it was determined that we were, for all intents and purposes, full unless BLM ups our limit.

farnhamstj
02-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Any word on the campsites, I am making reservations somewhere this week. I would like to be at the HQ. Can anyone recommend a "backup" site that is close to the HQ site? I have never been to Moab and dont even know where to start to look.

Thanks again!

Drew <><

I like to camp up sandflats road. $6 per night. It it rustic camping. Throne bathrooms surrounded by wood barriers. It about 10-15 minutes away from the main group. There are hot showers halfway between the 2 for about $5. It is up away from the highway and the views at sunset are second to none. I typically camp in cluster G or H. It's near Fins and things, Hells revenge, porcupine rim, not to mention Slickrock trail if you're a mtb'er. A little night wheeling is usually in order. We have kids, so don't stay up too late partying. (9:30 is about as late as we stay up) There are about five rigs that are camping there together. PM me if you want to join us

farnhamstj
02-15-2006, 10:31 AM
see http://www.go-utah.com/Sand-Flats-Recreation-Area/

Rezarf
02-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.

I just got a reservation at the Moab KOA campground. It sounded like they still had a bunch of tent sites... I even got one in the shade. Judy at KOA was a delight deal with, and she said we could have up to 4 tents and 6 people on each site...

Information & Availability:
Phone: 435-259-6682

SO... if you are riding solo and don't have reservations yet and want to save a buck by going in with me and my bud PM me and maybe we can work something out. 23 bucks for the first two folks, and then 4 bucks a person per night, with showers sink and electric divided by the group. :D

I can't wait :cheers:

Drew <><

cxs
02-18-2006, 08:25 PM

Not allow dogs? Who'd a thought that - I'd like details on what areas don't allow them - planning on bringing mine as others are i'm sure.

Hulk
02-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Elephant Hill - nope. No dogs allowed. This is the only trail that we run that is inside a National Park. Can't even have them in your vehicle.

Not sure about the others. The Sand Flats Recreation Area may have some restrictions, I think. It may just be leashes req'd at all times. We run Fins & Things, Hells Revenge, and Porcupine Rim in this area.

The rest of the trails are fine for dogs.