PDA

View Full Version : Hub grease

60wag
02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
What's the deal with the big space between the wheel bearings that it supposed to be filled with grease? On every hub that I've repacked, the grease in the middle is untouched, (unless the hub was severly contaminated with gear oil.) The grease in the bearings is deteriorated and due for replacement but that dead space grease in there is clean and like new. Is the space just there because its easier to make a hub with the dead space? Why bother to fill the dead space with grease? Is it just there in case you overheat the hub - maybe some of it will flow into the bearing?

I'm in the middle of repacking my rear axle and just wonder about this stuff.

Uncle Ben
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Many folks pack grease in there and there is absolutely no reason for it and many reasons not to do it! The only way that grease could get into the bearing would be if the hub was so freaking hot it liquefied the blob. If that happens you have a much greater problem on your hands than just wasting grease and rags!

nuclearlemon
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
i never understood why people packed that space either. too much grease = heat, so i never pack that. i pack the bearings amply and that's it.

nakman
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Hmm, I've always filled that cavity with grease, figured yeah it would heat up and ooze into the bearings somehow. But you're right, when I pull it apart a year later it's as if it's been untouched, other than a little centrifical balancing.

60wag
02-12-2008, 03:14 PM
That's pretty much what I thought but the manual clearly shows the thing full of grease.

nakman
02-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Maybe it's "extra" grease, where you can store extra in case you need to swap a birfield on the trail and you didn't have it already packed in grease, at least you can rob some from inside the hub? See now it's a feature, not a defect.

Yes, I'm in marketing. :)

60wag
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Ahhhh... spare parts storage. Very clever.

Uncle Ben
02-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Ahhhh... spare parts storage. Very clever.

Nakman never fails to amaze me! First he has figured out a way to store his Porta-Potti waste in his spare tire, now he's found a place to store trail spares in his hubs......the guy is ingenious!

http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Signs/hearye.gif :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: http://www.plaidavenger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/inspector_gadget.jpg

wesintl
02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
my bet is he'll still get that repeater up too ;) :D

nakman
02-12-2008, 05:55 PM

:lmao: :lmao:

corsair23
02-12-2008, 06:40 PM

You've seen the cell sites that look like trees, right? :hill:

wesintl
02-12-2008, 07:13 PM
no, cause they look like trees.. :hill:

Uncle Ben
02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
You've seen the cell sites that look like trees, right? :hill:

There is tree looking cells....where? :confused:;) :lmao:

60wag
02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
So I just got the second hub off. A bit of oil dripped out when I pulled the axle out. I figured the axle seal was failing and had allowed some oil to leak out. I them went to clean up up the hub. Guess what? NO grease in this side. I mean none. Even the bearings had no trace of grease. There definitely wasn't birfield soup from oil cutting the grease. The only lube in the hub was geal oil. I was going to change the bearings anyway so no big deal but this seems really odd. Maybe some mechanic thought it was the same as a semi floater and that it'd be oiled by the diff juice. Another odd note is that the nuts securing the axle flange had unchipped black paint on them. So either this axle has never been apart before, or a mech took the time to repaint the hubs after servicing them. I bought it as a one owner vehicle and based on the records, I doubt the PO would have painted the hubs. Would the dealer repaint the hubs after a 60k service?

Red_Chili
02-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Replacing your bearings is a smart move... are the roller tracks yellow and pitted?