PDA

View Full Version : Wondering what a $60K FJ40 looks like?

corsair23
02-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but $60K :confused:

I'm thinking the owner might be on something...I wonder what the holes over the PS wheel well are for...maybe they are for something "special" :hill:

'71 Smurf Blue FJ40 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ40-1971-Toyota-FJ40-Land-Cruiser_W0QQitemZ190198499174QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190198499174)

timmbuck2
02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
throw a check for $59,990 in the front seat of my 40 and it is worth $60k!

MDH33
02-13-2008, 12:16 PM
It's a nice 40, but 60K ? I know resto's are expensive, but that doesn't mean you can get out every penny you sink into a project plus a profit.

Someone posted this link on MUD too and said they had emailed the seller to ask for pics of the bag with 50K in it that comes with it. :D

Uncle Ben
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM

I'm thinking the owner might be on something...I wonder what the holes over the PS wheel well are for...maybe they are for something "special" :hill:

'71 Smurf Blue FJ40 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ40-1971-Toyota-FJ40-Land-Cruiser_W0QQitemZ190198499174QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190198499174)

What if! I should list my 80 up for $100K! If it sells then how cool is that! I can buy another one and deck it way out and still have a lot of extra cash to put towards Treeroots playground and Naksters "Tree Repeater!"

RockRunner
02-13-2008, 01:24 PM
It is very nice but for nearly half that price you can get a 40 from some guy in Cali that restores them with all modern enigne/tranmision items and adds all kinds of goodies too. Last one I saw sold for $35K I believe and that included OBA Shower lockers and a EFI v8 with new tranny.

Very nice unit but holy cow

MDH33
02-13-2008, 01:44 PM
It is very nice but for nearly half that price you can get a 40 from some guy in Cali that restores them with all modern enigne/tranmision items and adds all kinds of goodies too. Last one I saw sold for $35K I believe and that included OBA Shower lockers and a EFI v8 with new tranny.

Very nice unit but holy cow

Are you referring to TLC4x4 in Kalifornia? Theirs are more like double the cost, this one's a mere $145,000 :eek::eek:

http://www.tlc4x4.com/resize.asp?path=d:/inetpub/var/4SightTechnology8095/www.tlc4x4.com/database/20071031858530.7.jpg&width=600

nuclearlemon
02-13-2008, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=corsair23;62168]I wonder what the holes over the PS wheel well are for...maybe they are for something "special" :hill:
QUOTE]

gerry can holder

treerootCO
02-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Yup, how about my many thousand dollar Technicolor FJ40? The value is largely above the rain gutters...

Every time I see a picture of my FJ40 it reminds me how bad Root got screwed. :-) What did I sell that to you for, anyway? At least it ran reasonably well on the drive to your house, I can say that much.

I remember on this trip that one of the radiator hoses started leaking at the BP in Glenwood. It made it to Moab and back with that hose all wrapped like crazy with duct taped. Man, FJ40s are such beasts. I miss having it. Except when I'm camping in the 'nest, at the gas station, seeing Jerry at Burt or on the highway trying to talk to Kirsten. Oh yeah, when it's snowing I like my pickup, too. But when it's 75F, sunny and I have a company gas card, then, yeah, I really miss my FJ40.

$2,500 ;)

corsair23
02-13-2008, 02:59 PM
gerry can holder

I thought the same thing...But if you're trying to get $60K for your 40 wouldn't you think you'd put whatever is supposed to be there, on :rolleyes:

I wish the guy luck on selling the 40 but I just can't see anyone spending $60 grand on it - it is not even a stock collectible condition rig. Several years ago there was a pair of 40s on ebay up for sale - both red, one an older model year and one a later model year, both REALLY built up by someone that appeared to have a LOT of disposable $$. IIRC, the pair was going for $75K and I would be the owner had nearly double that into them. If I had won the lottery back then I wouldn't have blinked twice buying those.

RockRunner
02-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Are you referring to TLC4x4 in Kalifornia? Theirs are more like double the cost, this one's a mere $145,000 :eek::eek:

http://www.tlc4x4.com/resize.asp?path=d:/inetpub/var/4SightTechnology8095/www.tlc4x4.com/database/20071031858530.7.jpg&width=600

No, this is a guy who rebuilds them and or builds them for people their way. I thought he was somewhere near SD CA.

DaveInDenver
02-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Man, it looks nice Mike, it definitely went to the right guy. I paid $3,500 for it, so I guess I passed along the love. I found out who owned it before the guy I bought it from, BTW. I still need to see if he remembers who he bought it from to see more about the chain of command.

Nay
02-13-2008, 09:41 PM
I'd take two Rubicon Unlimiteds with lifetime powertrain warranties and cash back, personally, for every condition on the planet except a parking lot Land Cruiser gathering.

MDH33
02-14-2008, 08:16 AM
I'd take two Rubicon Unlimiteds with lifetime powertrain warranties and cash back, personally, for every condition on the planet except a parking lot Land Cruiser gathering.

:tongue2: heep-lover!

Red_Chili
02-14-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm with you, Nay. I hope my 4Runner lasts a long time, because Toyota no longer makes anything that interests me. Haven't for a while now.

MDH33
02-14-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm with you, Nay. I hope my 4Runner lasts a long time, because Toyota no longer makes anything that interests me. Haven't for a while now.

It's a heep love-in :doh:

:bolt:

:D

Red_Chili
02-14-2008, 08:59 AM
I could get a Rubi and put a Toy V8 in it. That would rock. It would be at least as much of a Toyota as the Proffitt's rigs.

Actually, they already are. Aisin makes the trannies for both. Saw a guy overhauling a Jeep tranny, and boy did that thing look familiar! In fact, he was using Toyota synchros. Same parts as an R151.

SteveH
02-14-2008, 09:00 AM
>>Toyota no longer makes anything that interests me.

I saw a new Bland Cruiser at the dealer yesterday - the vinyl bumper covers (which span acres) say it all. Christo Slee's job surely gets harder with every new generation of LC.

Rezarf
02-14-2008, 11:19 AM

That is an easy question to answer... because it is smurf blue! :D :lmao:

I get offers regularly in the 80-100 range... 80 to 100 dollars that is :p:

Treeroot, your rig looks amazing man! Great Job! :thumb:

D

corsair23
02-14-2008, 12:07 PM
That is an easy question to answer... because it is smurf blue! :D :lmao:

Check out the one I posted up in the Member's only section Drew...Smurf Blue and very nice looking...Probably go $45-50K less than this one to boot :)

Bikeman
02-14-2008, 01:09 PM
With a Rubicon, you'd still need to upgrade the drivetrain, just like any other heep. I read an article the other day on the TJ and JK Dana 44's. They internally compared them, and it is about as scary as what Ford specs their front Dana 50's and 60's at. Necking down or reducing axle shaft size, stub axle size and spline count, axle housing wall thickness, unit bearings, blah, blah, blah.

Red_Chili
02-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Yup. Which only makes it sadder that a couple committed Toy guys would even contemplate such a move. Even with all the work required. I think the only other thing I might try would be a SAS early 2000s Taco CrewCab with a custom camp/utility flatbed or something. But then, the top is not removable. :( And it is an auto. :( :(

And it would be no less work than a Heep. The four door Rubi is the closest thing to a genuine 4Runner out there IMHO.

Uncle Ben
02-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Yup. Which only makes it sadder that a couple committed Toy guys would even contemplate such a move. Even with all the work required. I think the only other thing I might try would be a SAS early 2000s Taco CrewCab with a custom camp/utility flatbed or something. But then, the top is not removable. :( And it is an auto. :( :(

And it would be no less work than a Heep. The four door Rubi is the closest thing to a genuine 4Runner out there IMHO.

Must be the difference between Cruiser Guys and Mini guys! Mini guys are on the look out for something better and Cruiser guys don't have to look any further! :eek: :bolt:

Red_Chili
02-14-2008, 01:38 PM
That's my point though. There AIN'T nothing better that is new. Cruiser guys and mini guys are always raving about things that are no longer made and will soon be rust and dust.

Besides, if you really believed that you would drive Wild Rice only. LOL

Uncle Ben
02-14-2008, 01:47 PM
That's my point though. There AIN'T nothing better that is new. Cruiser guys and mini guys are always raving about things that are no longer made and will soon be rust and dust.

Besides, if you really believed that you would drive Wild Rice only. LOL

Actually, I suspect when WR is back on the road it will be driven quite a bit! The new 200series Cruisers are a love/hate for me. I like a lot of the platform but the frog eyed bubble fenders really turn me off! I would still own a FJC before a Poohbegon! ....and yes I know they are more mini than Cruiser. Truth is, badgering mode off, Toyota has earned my loyalty and Domestics have earned my loath!

Red_Chili
02-14-2008, 02:04 PM
True dat, but if all I have to choose from are $100K land yachts, full size (or near full size) pickups, Suzie Soccermom cute utes, or a Corolla, I might have to make some hard decisions.

Name another company that builds and sells a solid axle 4x4 that at least tries to be adequate to the task.

Uncle Ben
02-14-2008, 02:14 PM
True dat, but if all I have to choose from are $100K land yachts, full size (or near full size) pickups, Suzie Soccermom cute utes, or a Corolla, I might have to make some hard decisions.

Name another company that builds and sells a solid axle 4x4 that at least tries to be adequate to the task. Oh, I know where your coming from! Too bad that solid front axle has a POS domestic turd bolted to it!

treerootCO
02-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Can someone give me a ride to the dealership? My Domestic's steering shaft failed for the fourth time. :D

I am enjoying the bolt on build of the 80 series. If I had a choice between an old truck and a new truck, I would buy a high mileage 80 any day.

MDH33
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Can someone give me a ride to the dealership? My Domestic's steering shaft failed for the fourth time. :D

I am enjoying the bolt on build of the 80 series. If I had a choice between an old truck and a new truck, I would buy a high mileage 80 any day.

There's something Ironic about Treeroot referring to an 80 series as an "old" Landcruiser. :D

DaveInDenver
02-14-2008, 02:43 PM
I could get a Rubi and put a Toy V8 in it. That would rock. It would be at least as much of a Toyota as the Proffitt's rigs.
That is true. How much Toyota really is left in a 40 series with a SBC, SM420, Orion t-case, Dana 60 axles anyway?

Actually, they already are. Aisin makes the trannies for both. Saw a guy overhauling a Jeep tranny, and boy did that thing look familiar! In fact, he was using Toyota synchros. Same parts as an R151.
Aisin made the AX-5 and AX-15 5-speeds that were used in the square headlight Heeps. The only one I've ever really experienced was an AX-5 in a 1987 Dangler and my impression was that it was a monster P.O.S. Rattled, loud, shifted like crap, just seemed over matched behind even the AMC 258.

subzali
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
meh.

Rezarf
02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Check out the one I posted up in the Member's only section Drew...Smurf Blue and very nice looking...Probably go $45-50K less than this one to boot :)

Killer looking rig, looks really clean!

Hulk
02-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Poohbegon....

I usually interpret UncaBeneeze just fine, but this one stumped me. All I can think of is Winnebago, but I know that ain't right.
:confused:

Uncle Ben
02-14-2008, 10:02 PM
I usually interpret UncaBeneeze just fine, but this one stumped me. All I can think of is Winnebago, but I know that ain't right.
:confused:

Silly boy....Heep Pooh-Be-Gon :rolleyes: :lmao: