PDA

View Full Version : sliders, which ones?

Corbet
02-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Hanna or Metal Tech?

Its down to these two for me. I want the full cat protection both offer.

I've been reading threads on MUD for hours and it seems most prefer Hanna over MT, but everyone with MT love them too.

Anyway what does the RS forum say. Post up what you think and why. Stronger, better steps whatever.....

And after all this it will probably come down to who has them in stock before CM.

corsair23
02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
I've never seen the Hanna sliders. I have the MT sliders and like them alot. Not the best if you have kids or dogs that can get their feet/paws caught between the tube and the body of the rig. They also get pretty slick when they are wet or icy which the :Princess: has complained about on more than one occassion.

They are heavy beefy suckers though. If you are considering them I'd call Mark at MT directly and see what the likelihood of getting a set before CM08 is. IIRC when I ordered mine I did so in like Jan '07 and didn't get them until late March or early April.

Uncle Ben
02-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Hanna or Metal Tech?

I've been reading threads on MUD for hours and it seems most prefer Hanna over MT, but everyone with MT love them too.

Anyway what does the RS forum say. Post up what you think and why. Stronger, better steps whatever.....

And after all this it will probably come down to who has them in stock before CM.

Have to say option 3 (not listed) If you have kids and your 80 does dual purpose you can do no better than Mr. Slee!

Tch2fly
02-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Hanna or Metal Tech?

I don't question trying to protect them but I wonder how much of a worry it is, I have never hit mine using Slee (I do seem to smack the muffler a lot:rolleyes:)

If price is a consideration check with Hanna on total cost, I thought about his rear bumper until I got his shipping quote:eek: you might be able to add something to Slee sliders for less than the shipping cost.

Uncle Ben
02-14-2008, 07:49 AM
For me, adding anything that would possibly trap more Cat heat just would never be an option! I too have dented and have a dented muffler but so far the Cat is scratch free.

treerootCO
02-14-2008, 08:01 AM
I just bought the step sliders from Slee. I thought a lot about the other options and decided on keeping it simple. The step is functional and looks good too.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/80_sliders_steps.htm

Romer
02-14-2008, 08:22 AM
I have the step sliders on my truck and regular tube style on Rachel and sarah's. I like the Step sliders better even though they stick out a bit more like Running boards. The finish is better in rain and you don't slip on it, they are family friendly and I just like having the step.

That sure is a nice looking truck in Slee's ad there :D

sno bored
02-14-2008, 08:23 AM
What about option #4, and #5 (both not listed) some of our local club guys. I got mine from Oleg at Irbis offroad and I am happy with them. You could also check with Jim at Solid Rock and see if he is making sliders for 80's.

Corbet
02-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Not the best if you have kids or dogs that can get their feet/paws caught between the tube and the body of the rig.

This worries me a little as Porter currently rides in the back seat. However he jumps from the ground all the way up onto the rear seat. And pretty much the reverse on exit. It would be a heart breaker to have him get hurt as a result of getting stuck.

But the long term plan will be to have a drawer system and barrier so he can ride in back. Then no problem.

timmbuck2
02-14-2008, 08:37 AM
I just bought the step sliders from Slee. I thought a lot about the other options and decided on keeping it simple. The step is functional and looks good too.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/80_sliders_steps.htm

They look awesome...were they in stock?

Bikeman
02-14-2008, 08:40 AM
I have SROR's and they were cost-effective, have full cat protection, and support local business. Jim will make them however you want them, too.

treerootCO
02-14-2008, 08:44 AM
They look awesome...were they in stock?

I know there is a batch at the powder coater so if Christo doesn't have them today, they will be in shortly.

MDH33
02-14-2008, 08:51 AM
I have SROR's and they were cost-effective, have full cat protection, and support local business. Jim will make them however you want them, too.

I noticed Jim isn't taking orders because he's backlogged:

From his website:

"SROR will not be taking any new orders due to my existing backlog. It is unfair to you, as a customer to place an order that we would not be able to give you a delivery date. It will probably be April or May before things get back in line.

We are very sorry for the inconvienence and thank you for your continued support!

Jim "

FJBen
02-14-2008, 09:03 AM
I have the MT sliders on my 80 and they are very nice. My kids, 4 and 6 haven't had any issues with them yet. And they get in/out of my rig 5-6 days a week for the last month.

It's a really cool design and I did a little bit of testing and they worked :D I like the mounting tabs for lights in them...pretty bling.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with SROR, Slee, Irbis, Hanna etc...

SROR/AKA 2BAD
02-14-2008, 10:07 AM
I noticed Jim isn't taking orders because he's backlogged:

From his website:

"SROR will not be taking any new orders due to my existing backlog. It is unfair to you, as a customer to place an order that we would not be able to give you a delivery date. It will probably be April or May before things get back in line.

We are very sorry for the inconvienence and thank you for your continued support!

Jim "

this is true.
unless you want to wait.

Rezarf
02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
I've never seen the Hanna sliders. I have the MT sliders and like them alot. Not the best if you have kids or dogs that can get their feet/paws caught between the tube and the body of the rig. They also get pretty slick when they are wet or icy which the :Princess: has complained about on more than one occassion.

Jeff what about adding some skate board grip tape to the tread areas? I have seen it done on a lot of rigs, cheap, easy to apply, and they will wear well.

Drew

Tch2fly
02-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Jeff what about adding some skate board grip tape to the tread areas? I have seen it done on a lot of rigs, cheap, easy to apply, and they will wear well.

Drew

x2 :thumb:
I added it to the top of my sliders .... made all the difference for:Princess:

corsair23
02-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Drew

Drew,

That will be done this summer...I didn't get the sliders on until March/April '07 so this is the first winter with them. 95% of the time they are fine but when they get ice on them watch out :eek: - I'm not sure having the skate board grip tape on there, under the ice, will do that much good really but it is worth a shot. So far I've had only one instance when my 4 yr old got her foot stuck. Now I just make sure we help her out just in case to avoid any problems. She is our "clutzy" child...she'll probably grow up to be a ballerina :hill:

sno bored
02-14-2008, 12:48 PM

Drew

I had skate grip tape on the top of mine and it worked OK. This fall I herculined the lower portion of my truck, and put herculiner on the top of my sliders where the grip tape was. I think that works even better, lots of snow and ice but I haven't been slipping. If you do it this way make sure you don't put it on the bottom or sides of the sliders where it is supposed to "slide" over the rocks. I read some posts where people lined their whole slider and they could no longer slide.

wesintl
02-14-2008, 12:55 PM
That's another reason I love christo's step sliders. That powder coat grip is awesome.

Corbet
02-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Almost everyone keeps telling me to get something other than the two I plan to choose from?

And I understand a lot of the arguments. But Jim is back logged. Irbis are weld on. Honestly I'd get the Slee Steps but the lack of cat protection? Murphy and his laws will be all over me if I don't go with my gut instinct there.

So I'm still leaning towards the MT due to the lighter weight and more air flow to the cats than the HQ appear to have.

Does anyone in the club have a set of HQ's?

corsair23
02-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Almost everyone keeps telling me to get something other than the two I plan to choose from?

Hard to tell we like to support the local folks huh? :D

I went through the same thing when I was choosing sliders and narrowed it down to between Slee's and MTs sliders. In the end I chose the MTs because of the look, the cat guard, the options they've built into them, etc. I like the power coat of the Slee's better but oh well. Price wise they are about the same once you factor in shipping vs. taxes and what not.

I had a little remorse about not buying local but 95% of the other stuff on my rig was locally bought, and most of that from Christo. I like to believe I did my part last spring helping to keep him in business :hill:

Convert
02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Does anyone in the club have a set of HQ's?

I have the Hanna's they are well built heavy duty sliders. There were not as many choices when I purchased mine, If I were to buy today I would go with the
Slee stepsliders for many of the reasons listed all ready.You wont go wrong with any of the sliders mentioned so far. Availability may be the driving factor if you need them soon.

Bikeman
02-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Corbet here's your answer:

Buy the Slee Slider steps and give them to me. I'll give you my 1.5 yoear-old SROR Sliders with cat protection and charcoal powder coat plus $300 and your problem is solved. I have $580 plus the $130 from Mile High powder coat into them. They've only been off road twice and the only slight scrape on them is on the cat skids from an obstacle on the Middle Fork up from Tiger Road:hill:

BTW: my Boxer, Taz, has been in and out of the rig twice daily for the time I've had the sliders, and no caught paws.

Corbet
02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Metal Tech's ordered :D

Uncle Ben
02-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Metal Tech's ordered :D

Good luck with that! :p:

Hulk
02-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Did they give you an ETA?

Corbet
02-19-2008, 07:19 AM
expect to ship 2nd week of March.

Corbet
04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Well a little later than originally quoted but in time for CM08 and that's all that really mattered to me. Now to install them...

Hulk
04-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Sweet! Those look very nice.

corsair23
04-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Look great Corbet :thumb:

The cat guard design looks a little different from the ones I bought last year but Mark said they were going to do that due to the issue with the guard touching the cats on some rigs. They did on mine so I had to space it out a scosh with a washer. Just a suggestion to watch that side on install as you are tightening everything up check the clearance between the cats and the guard. If it looks like they are going to touch, save yourself the trouble right then by adding a washer or two to the top ubolt between the frame and the slider to space it out and down a tad.

Also, on the brake lines on the DS...I meant to get around to sending Mark some pictures with tips on the install and haven't yet but you do NOT need to detach all of the brake line connections. Put the ubolts up there in the general location and you'll see which areas the brake lines need to be unbolted from the frame. IIRC there was the area back by the gas tank (a royal PITA to get to without the right tools and NO, loosening the tank from the vehicle does not help to get to the bolt) and maybe one up front. I loosened all of the bolts unnecessarily :doh:.

Other word of caution...Those suckers are heavy and hurt if they drop on you. I installed them myself using straps to the garage rafters and a jack/jack stands but a 2 or 3 person install would make things much, much, much easier :thumb: I'm pretty sure I loaded up some pics last year when I installed mine.

Corbet
04-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably be doing this install solo as well. I got the IPOR skid up by myself ;) I think these will be easier honestly. Maybe I'll ring Kevin just in case. :thumb:

Rezarf
04-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Very cool Corbet!

Can't wait to see them on! :D

corsair23
04-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably be doing this install solo as well. I got the IPOR skid up by myself ;) I think these will be easier honestly. Maybe I'll ring Kevin just in case. :thumb:

Good luck with that :hill: - I figured it would be pretty easy as well but they are so heavy and akward that trying to hold them in place while trying to get the ubolts in was a challenge to say the least, at least for me. IIRC there is a "tab" on the rear mount of each slider that is supposed to help you by sitting that on top of the frame (or something) to sort of hold the slider in place.

Let's just say I was very happy several times that those suckers were dangling from the ceiling when they slipped off that tab and swung down at me :eek:

Thinking back if I had had 4 jack stands of similar height, that might have improved the situation :rolleyes:

Corbet
04-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Install was a piece of cake honestly. Did it solo. Couple of tips for anyone who does this in the future.

1. Use a tap and clean out the 4 captured nuts by the cats BEFORE you start mounting the right side slider. This will save you much time.

2. I had to grind a little of the weld on the back side of the rear lower control arm brackets. Again doing so before you start mounting the sliders would be better. Due to clearance issue (with slider already in place) I used a Dremel tool to do so. A little slow.

3. Have a shorty 12mm ratcheting box and a long slim type 12mm box to get the brake line bracket bold undone behind the fuel tank. I used the long box at about 4 o'clock to brake it loose. Then I reached over the frame rail with the shorty one to get it out. It never went back in as the u-bolt was right there.

Other than that it went pretty easy. I used a pair of jack stands and one floor jack to assist. I would be easier with two people, but not something anyone should be afraid of doing themselves. I found these much easier than the IPOR skid plate to install, I wouldn't want to do a skid by myself again.

Pics for the peanut gallery

Hulk
04-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Looks great!

Is the Cat guard removable?

Corbet
04-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Looks great!

Is the Cat guard removable?

No, it acts as the 3rd support member for that side. In order to replace cats slider would have to be removed. PITA but not a regular PM item.

This is the only pic I have before I put them on the truck. The plate that rests against the frame rail and bolts on using existing captured nuts is hidden by the cat guard.

Hulk
04-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Just wondering because I replaced my two OEM cats with a single cat, mounted horizontally rather than vertically for better clearance.

Corbet
04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
that's the down side to these type of sliders, MT or Hanna. Most of us would never replace the OEM cats with the same. So when mine eventually need to be done I'm not sure what I'll do with the extra space.

corsair23
04-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Show off :D

Great job...those look great :thumb:

Uncle Ben
04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
that's the down side to these type of sliders, MT or Hanna. Most of us would never replace the OEM cats with the same. So when mine eventually need to be done I'm not sure what I'll do with the extra space. Snakster?

Corbet
04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
I just noticed my quote on your signature. That's pretty funny out of context...
:homer: DOH

corsair23
04-29-2008, 01:41 AM
I just noticed my quote on your signature. That's pretty funny out of context...
:homer: DOH

:lmao: - I wondered when you were going to catch on to how we read it. Did you notice my comment in Groucho's new baby thread? :hill:

Corbet
04-29-2008, 09:09 AM
:lmao: - I wondered when you were going to catch on to how we read it. Did you notice my comment in Groucho's new baby thread? :hill:

Yes, I saw that but it took seeing the quote on its own to make the author interpret it others have.

:doh: