PDA

View Full Version : Yaesu Vx-7R Owners

Romer
02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
I know a few club members have this Radio. Got it yesterday and am playing with it. Figured having one I can use in the house will entice me to learn more about this.

I need to get the programming cable and the freeware commander SW. Seems manually placing freqs into memory works fine, but the tone doesn't get saved with them. The tone is always the last I programmed. This has a lot of features so this may just be operator error. How do I store different tones with the different freq's?

I was on talking on the Colorado connection last night at 146.310 and they could only hear me if I was on 5W and standing near the window. I am going to HRO and see what antennas they have and look for an upgrade. I know I can build one for about $10 but wanted to know if there is a recommended one to buy that is easier to walk around with.

Anyone buy the other mike/speaker setups?

Any other tips? I am just scratching the surface with the functions on this radio. Once I get this one down the weather will be nicer and I'll start playing with the 7800 in the truck again.

Uncle Ben
02-14-2008, 10:24 PM
I have the programming software and cable (and a USB<->RS232 converter) for the VX-7R. The 78/88/8900 can be hastily set up without a computer, but the VX-7R is less fun. I'll bring it the next few club functions (ham class, March meeting, etc). Someone needs to bring a laptop, SEAKR probably wouldn't want me dragging my workstation all around town.

Antennas. The stock antenna is passable, but I also find that 5W is needed often and you have to be careful about orientation. But it's not as bad as people make it out. A good replacement isn't gonna be $10, but Chris's J-pole would be half of that. That's your best bet IMO.

The antenna that Ray (Gray) had on his VS-7R that one evening was a bad boy! He sounded like he was on a mobile! He said it was about 18" long with a coil 2/3's of the way up. I was impressed! He was in Brighton but hitting the Squaw Mountain 145.145 machine like a big boy!

I now have the software and cable but I need to get the usb adapter for the 7R

Romo....where did ya get the HT?

Romer
02-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I got it off of the craiglist.

I'll get the cable and download the SW.

I know an antenna is going to be way more than $10

And Dave, I can see the Seakr building from my home window. Your close by.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Seldom Seen
02-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Wouldn't be easier/cheaper to just get the cloning cable and clone Dave's HT ??

Romer
02-14-2008, 11:18 PM
That would be great.

I would like to be able to add stuff later though

Shark Bait
02-14-2008, 11:40 PM
I'll be happy to give you some twin lead to make the J-pole antenna. Last time I was on with my VX-7R I was sitting inside at my desk and I think I sounded fine according to the others that were online that night. :p:

Shark Bait
02-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Now that I am employed again i was considering buying a programming cable for my FT-8800. It looks like there are some USB versions out there. Dave, have you seen these? Will they work?

Romer
02-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Just got back from HRO. Bought a SRH320A Diamond Anmt and one of those external mikes. Eager to try it out.

Groucho
02-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Dave,
I was calling you on thursday afternoon cuz I got outta work late and didn't hear you. 146.805. Your call is KCěPEG, is it not?

Romer
02-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the tip Dave. Thought I did chat with him enough to tell him what I was doing, but you know us engineers.

I'll try again now that I have connected the external mike

Uncle Ben
02-16-2008, 02:43 PM
You know us hams, lonely guys in our shacks. ;-)

You should switch to loosy goosy boxers and maybe you could just chill then!

Just say no to.......
http://www.themanitoban.com/2004-2005/1117/comment/nooneneededtoseethis.jpg :lmao:

Romer
02-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Nah, I wouldn't worry. Just a nice thing to do, spend a couple of minutes chatting. You know us hams, lonely guys in our shacks. ;-)

Tried it again and chatted with the guy for a bit. Works great in my study. Signal gets clear or staticy depending on which way I point the antenna.

Romer
02-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks for joining me Dave and it was cool Nathaniel jumped on. Have a good one.

Uncle Ben
02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Dave,
Do you have the file saved for your 7r? I picked up a serial to usb adaptor and now have a functioning programmer. I have no iseda of where to start other than 145, 460, 805, 310.

Romer
02-21-2008, 04:05 PM
That (File) would be good to have, I ordered the cable and programming SW and it is suppose to be delivered tonght.

Uncle Ben
02-21-2008, 04:16 PM
That (File) would be good to have, I ordered the cable and programming SW and it is suppose to be delivered tonght.

Do you have a serial port on the computer you plan on using? You will need an adapter if you don't!

Romer
02-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I ordered the USB cable off of ebay

Romer
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks Dave,
I read about the vx-7 commander. I'll download it and play with it this weekend.

Great thought Kevin on asking for the file.

Romer
02-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Dave,
Looking at the file, You have CB channels on there. Can you hear them on the HT, Transmitt?

When they are loaded in the radio, do you just call up the memory function and go to the corresponding number?

Any other tips using the file?

Thanks a lot, this is a big help

Uncle Ben
02-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Dave, You have a lot of time invested in that upload! Wonder if this should get moved to members only section? Thank you so much for sharing that! I hope you did that because you wanted too! :confused: Simply incredible..... :bowdown: http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Star_Wars/yoda5.gif

Uncle Ben
02-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Done....request to Sophie has been made....:) Thank you Wes and Sophie, what a great team! ;)

Romer
02-22-2008, 08:17 AM
This makes me want to program the 7800.

I didn't get the cable last night it is in the package coming today. I did get the yaesu SW though so I can play with both of them.

Dave - Since your stoked, how do you make the groups? Also, based on what you said I don't see any reason to keep the CB channels. I am going to add the Moab channels and look up the Repeaters near the Rubithon and add those.

Wondering if after I get this all programmed if I can use the same file with different SW for my 7800. be a lot easier if you had the same groups etc.

Shark Bait
02-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I ordered the USB cable off of ebay

Ken,

Which one did you get? The ones from Hong Kong are a little cheaper, but delivery time seems kind of uncertain.

Alvaro turned me on to this place (http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/othercables_template.cfm?cfid=4239133&cftoken=48081542) and I got a cable & adapter to program the FT-2800 for my FJ40. It only took about 3 days for my order to show up. :)

Shark Bait
02-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks Dave,

Maybe we should have a programming party? :D :party:

DaveInDenver
02-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Dave - Since your stoked, how do you make the groups? Also, based on what you said I don't see any reason to keep the CB channels. I am going to add the Moab channels and look up the Repeaters near the Rubithon and add those.

Dunno with the RT software. With Commander, at the top there is pull down that lets you get to memory groups. It's not fancy. On the radio, push MON[F] and then the #9 key. This accesses the special memories section. You scroll through the selections (SW BC, Marine, etc) to the #2 option, MR Groups. Press the MON[F] - #9 key combination to set it. Now the upper left of the display will be flashing the 'MG' and the group number will be just to the right of it. Scroll through to the number of the MG you want. In the case of Denver repeaters, go to #3. With it flashing, hit [V/M] to select it and now the radio will only do MG frequencies. BTW, this only works on the main VFO, not the sub. Press the [V/M] key again to pick a different memory group. To get out, do the MON[F]-#9, select the #1 option of off. Now the main VFO is back to normal operation. This is also how you get the shortwave broadcast stations, the #5 option in the special memories.

Wondering if after I get this all programmed if I can use the same file with different SW for my 7800. be a lot easier if you had the same groups etc.
The files are not universal. So you have to export one into a CSV and then you can import the CSV into the other radio's programming software. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that the RT Systems ADMS-2I software can do that. Dang it, I forgot about that, now I gotta get the FTB8800 tool...

Romer
02-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Ken,

Which one did you get? The ones from Hong Kong are a little cheaper, but delivery time seems kind of uncertain.

Alvaro turned me on to this place (http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/othercables_template.cfm?cfid=4239133&cftoken=48081542) and I got a cable & adapter to program the FT-2800 for my FJ40. It only took about 3 days for my order to show up. :)

This one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170194147270&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007

Bought it last Saturday and should be getting it today

Uncle Ben
02-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Hmmmmmm......uploading from Commander to VX-7r keeps locking up the laptop......not sure why as I have no error message just frozen computer. Yes, I have the 7r in Clone Wait mode and my com port is correct. :confused:

DaveInDenver
02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Hmmmmmm......uploading from Commander to VX-7r keeps locking up the laptop......not sure why as I have no error message just frozen computer. Yes, I have the 7r in Clone Wait mode and my com port is correct. :confused:
Does that little Cable Test program run OK? A locked up 'puter sounds more like a driver issue.

Uncle Ben
02-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Does that little Cable Test program run OK? A locked up 'puter sounds more like a driver issue.

I have waisted too much time I didn't have on it now so it's gonna have to wait till later. It seems like the USB/Serial adapter thats messing with it. It worked yesterday so I might have to reload the driver for the adapter before I mess with it again.... :rolleyes:

Romer
02-22-2008, 05:14 PM
So do you use the FRS signals to talk to people on portable unlicensed radios?

What are the ones marked 4WD and those with -Nat after it?

I am going to take a cut at different file using yours as the starting point. Trying to first define what are the groups that would be good to have, maybe we can compile several inputs and come up with a master. Could even split up the work entering info.

Here is my thoughts on grouping set looking for comments:

Denver/Boulder Area 2M Repeaters
Colorado Connection Repeaters 2M
Denver/Boulder area 70cM Repeaters
2M Simplex
Moab 2M Repeaters
Rubicon 2M Repeaters
6M stuff

Have you found value with the CB, FRS and GMRS freq's?

Romer
02-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Here is a freq I added from a search on the Rubicon

Hi Robert, try 146.805 pl 123 minus. The KA6GWY/R.
It's used for S&R activities here in El Dorado County.
Most deputies have ham licenses."

One other guy said it worked great to get a medavac team in there.

I tokk Dave's file and added the repeater above and the Moab repeaters from the link in the other thread. I then made the following Groups

MG1 - Denver/Boulder Repeaters
MG2 - Colorado Connection
MG3 - Moab Repeaters - 3 only seemed like they would cover
MG4 - 2M Simplex Channels
MG5- Rubicon (Eldorado Vally)

I also have in the file all the 2M repeaters across Colorado

Since we (I at least) use 2M, I thought I would start with just that. It's easy to copy and paste between files to add stuff. I was going to do the 70cM after we get what is a good 2M list.

Am I just running amok or do you guys see value in this? If you do, look it over and lets add other 2M repeaters that might be useful.

There probably are a few emergency ones that might be good to add.

DaveInDenver
02-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Good deal, Romer.

I had:
group 1 as FRS (this for me is useful because people I ski, ride and hike with use FRS and the VX-7R with a Diamond has got to be about the best FRS receiver ever)

group 2 was CB (not useful in the pickup, although I do listen to the semis when we're in the 4Runner, the beauty of NMO mounts is that I can swap antennas in no time)

group 3 is Front Range 6m, 2m, 1.25m and 70cm repeaters (this is the group I leave my VX-7R on most of the time)

group 4 Colorado Connected Repeaters statewide

group 5 2m simplex channels for Colorado (15KHz spacing)

group 6 Calling frequencies on the bands the VX-7R can do, so 50.3FM (West Coast calling), 50.4AM (National), 52.525FM (National Calling), 146.520 (National), 223.500 (National), 446.00 (National)

When I travel I usually let the radios find the stations, using the Smart Search deal. It generates a new group of local stations that gets flushed when you go out of Smart Search. I'll sometimes program active ones to regular memory if it's a place we go more than once. For example, I have some of the Moab, Flagstaff and Sedona repeaters that seemed to always have activity programmed into the FT-7800R that's going into Red Chili. I dunno, I'm just lazy mostly and let the radio do the work for places I'm only visiting temporarily.

Romer
02-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Dave, do you use the 6M, 70cm and 1.25m bands. I have only used 2M so far. I think the 7800 only does 2M and 70cM. One reason whyy I wanted to do 2M first and then add in the 70cM.

Can you tell me more about group 6. I haven't reached that part of my education yet.

DaveInDenver
02-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Dave, do you use the 6M, 70cm and 1.25m bands. I have only used 2M so far. I think the 7800 only does 2M and 70cM. One reason whyy I wanted to do 2M first and then add in the 70cM.

Can you tell me more about group 6. I haven't reached that part of my education yet.
The VX-7R will TX on all four bands (although 1.25cm is only 300mW). The national calling frequencies are simplex channels that everyone agrees to use to hail someone. This would be when you call CQ and look for a simplex contact. Also they are the frequencies we are supposed to monitor in the backcountry.

Romer
02-23-2008, 11:10 AM
The VX-7R will TX on all four bands (although 1.25cm is only 300mW). The national calling frequencies are simplex channels that everyone agrees to use to hail someone. This would be when you call CQ and look for a simplex contact. Also they are the frequencies we are supposed to monitor in the backcountry.

Thanks Dave.

I updated the file and this is realy just re-organizing Dave's file and adding Moab and the Rubi so it makes sense to me. In this way I will know whats there. I also want a file I can use on my 7800.

So I added the 70CM, FRS, GMRS, National and looks like police and CDOT

Here is the way I have it organized

MG1 - Denver/Boulder area 2M
MG2 - Colorado Connection
MG3 - Moab Repeaters/ Rubicon - only 1 rptr for Eldorado cnty
MG4 - 2M Colorado Simplex
MG5 - 2M Colorado Repeaters (Not Denver Area of CC)
MG6 - National Freqs - I included 6M and 222
MG7 - Denver Boulder 70cM
MG8 - Colorado 70cM
MG9 - GRS/GMRS/CDOT/CSP FERN

What's Fern?

Like I said it only has the2M and 70CM for now.

Again, if nothing else this was useful to me so I could understand what was in there.

Thanks again Dave for the list

Uncle Ben
02-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Great work guys! I did have Wes relocate Daves File to members only so ROMO you might want to put yours there too!

Romer
02-23-2008, 01:49 PM
This is really cool. Had some setup issues though.

I'm running vista-64 bit and tried to use the unsigned driver for windows xp-64. Took a bit but if you press F8 at startup you canm allow unsigned drivers for this boot only.

Next needed to configure the com port to 4 and then go into control panel and turn the fifo buffers down.

Once I worked through all of that it worked flawlesly. I like how this display gives the freq number and the tag entered in the VX Commander.

I then enabled the Memory groups the way Dave mentioned. In plain memory mode you have access to all and can scroll through them all as one big list.

Now to get this good stuff into the 7800

Kevin - I don't understand the need to move this to the Members only section. Nothing club related is in the file. Why the concern? I don't think my little 8K file would cause any bandwidth issues (Would it wes) and the key words are already in the section to create Google hits.

Romer
02-23-2008, 01:58 PM
VX Commander can do SW mods to enhance the functionality of the radio

TX Frequencies:
Freeband: 40-224.995Mhz and 300-579.995Mhz
Mars/Cap: 50Mhz-54Mhz, 140Mhz-174Mhz, 222Mhz-225Mhz, and 420Mhz-470Mhz.

Can someone who has done this elaborate on the benifit. Not sure what Mars/cap or freeband means.

Uncle Ben
02-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Kevin - I don't understand the need to move this to the Members only section. Nothing club related is in the file. Why the concern? I don't think my little 8K file would cause any bandwidth issues (Would it wes) and the key words are already in the section to create Google hits.

Sorry Romer.....I looked but didn't find you agreed but I thought we all had decided. My bad....Just figure we offer a lot to non-RS members and I obviously feel pretty strong about keeping some of our efforts exclusive to those in the club who's dues make all this possible! :rolleyes:

There's nothing secret about it. But, yeah, we might want to move it to Member's Only to keep Google from finding it and having every VX-7R owner in the world downloading it.

Hulk
03-04-2008, 01:26 AM
I'll be happy to give you some twin lead to make the J-pole antenna. Last time I was on with my VX-7R I was sitting inside at my desk and I think I sounded fine according to the others that were online that night. :p:

Love to see a picture of your antenna, Chris.

Hulk
03-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Just got back from HRO. Bought a SRH320A Diamond Anmt and one of those external mikes. Eager to try it out.

Whaddaya think of the external mike? Did you get the CMP460 from Yaesu?

http://www.hamcity.com/ThumbNailer.aspx?img=images/cmp460alg.jpg&Percent=100

Hulk
03-04-2008, 01:29 AM
This one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170194147270&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007

This cable working well for you, Ken? Looks to be a straight shot from radio to computer, without the mess of adapters that you get if you order the Yaesu setup.

Looks like they offer a cable for the 7800/8800 as well: link (http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Programming-cable-for-Yaesu-FT-7800-FT-8800-FT-8900_W0QQitemZ150180392836QQihZ005QQcategoryZ40069QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262).

Romer
03-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Cable worked great. Had to do the tricks I listed above for Vista.

Not sure if thats the same Mic, I bought it at HRO and they told me that was the correct one.

Hulk
03-04-2008, 10:06 AM
There are 2 versions: one is submersible and more $$$ (pictured).

So, is it worth the money for an external mic? Are you glad you have it, or would the radio work just as well using the built-in mic?

Hulk
03-10-2008, 01:29 AM
If you guys are thinking about the VX-7R and are thinking about buying a new one, I would seriously consider the VX-6 or VX-3 instead.

The main difference between the -7 and -6 is that the VX-7 can do 6m, which in a HT is not a major thing (I've used 6m on my HT maybe 2 times and that was just to see if it worked). The problem with 6m on an HT is the antenna length, it's either REALLY long or REALLY inefficient. The stock antenna is mostly loading coil on 6m and works OK in town, but it's not gonna win any DX awards. As it is the 'good' antenna I use is designed for 2m/440MHz (it works OK on 220MHz, but it's no good on 6m) and is about 15" long. It's a Diamond SRH77CA, not a super heavy duty whip and it flops over with the radio at an angle, not to mention it looks pretty out of place on the small radio. An OK 6m HT antenna like the MH-510 is about two feet long and has a coil at the top, it is really unbalanced to the point that the radio won't stand up with the antenna on. If you have the radio on your belt, the MH-510 will smack you in the back of the neck, it's really awkward.

The VX-6 does 1.5W on 220MHz, while the VX-7R does 300mW (1/5th the power). When I bought my VX-7R Yaesu wasn't even calling it a quad band, but a tri-band 6m/2m/70cm, didn't even advertise it being able to do 220MHz.

The VX-3 is 2m and 70cm only, but has a better broadcast AM and FM receiver. That might be nice for hiking. It's supposed to have the best receiver of the Yaesu HTs. The only downside to the VX-3 is that it does not have a DTMF keypad (you could do DTMF with an external mic). But for me the reason I have a HT is for taking in the backpack and it's nice knowing the radio has the ability to do LiTZ without carrying the extra stuff.

Seriously, I would look around and see how much cheaper the VX-3 and VX-6 are before committing to the VX-7. IMO the VX-6 is the way to go. Just my $0.02.

Dave posted this in a different thread, but I thought I would move the discussion over here, since it is specific to the VX-7.

My main question would be: is your awesome programming file going to work with any of the VX series? Honestly, if not, I will buy the VX-7 just to work with your file, unless it is easy to convert.

The lack of a keypad on the VX-3 seems like a deal killer to me.

I'll probably mainly use this for 144MHz. It seems like getting 440MHz as well *might* be a good idea, since the majority of us in the club have dual band radios, and we might start using the 70cm band sometime in the future.

220MHz really isn't a consideration for me with either radio. Should it be? I mean, yeah, 1.5W is better than 300mW, but I'd probably be perfectly happy with 0 watts.

Both the VX-6 and the VX-7 are submersible. Then again, so is the VX-170, which is 144MHz only, has a nice keypad, and it's only $117. It probably lacks a little of the cool factor of the VX-7, since it is 120mm tall instead of 90mm tall. And it has only 200 Standard memory channels rather than 900.

The VX-7 seems like it has the most kick-ass display ever, though:

VX-7:
http://www.hamcity.com/images/vx7rblg.jpg http://www.hamcity.com/images/vx7rlg.jpg

VX-6
http://www.hamcity.com/images/vx6rlg.jpg

corsair23
03-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Matt,

Could tell from the descriptions whether the VX-7 has a backlit keypad? Romer, UB, or Chris??

From the pics it appears obvious that the VX-6 does but it is not so obvious whether the VX-7 does.

Uncle Ben
03-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Another consideration for HT's that have 440MHZ capabilities is if you want to ever have access to Cross Band repeat to your mobile or someone elses moble that has it activated. You will be using 440 MHZ minimal power on the HT while the mobile will CBR to 144MHZ. In other words your little hand held will talk to the CBR mobile at a very minimal power setting and the mobile will repeat the communication at what ever power is needed (preset). The CBR repeats both ways so incoming transmissions on 144MHZ get CBR'ed to the preset low power 440MHZ the HT's are on. This is a very handy and powerful option!

DaveInDenver
03-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Looked into this VX-6 situation a bit. Looks like Jim's software can import VX-7 files directly, so if someone wanted to get a VX-6, the programming file floating around should be usable as a basis for a new file. I can't test this directly because the software needs to talk to a radio before I can start a new file.

Hulk
03-17-2008, 03:44 AM
I think I'm buying the VX-7. What do you think of these antennas?

Comet/Maldol MH-510 (20.5")
http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=374
This one has some good reviews online.

Maldol AS-30 (15")
http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=68

Comet HT-55 (8.75")
http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=1000

Comet SMA-24 (17")
http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=33

MFJ 1720S
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1720S
Good reviews for this one, too.

For the trail spotting, this one might be awesome:
Maldol MH-209SMA (3")
http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=70

Shark Bait
03-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Matt, It comes with an antenna which has worked fine for me on the trail. When I'm home I use my $10 j-pole. :D

Hulk
03-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Matt, It comes with an antenna which has worked fine for me on the trail. When I'm home I use my $10 j-pole. :D

I've been thinking about how I will likely use the radio. Most of the time, I'll be talking with you guys (or listening in) on Monday nights. Since that's my kid night, I'll probably be moving around the house getting the kids ready for bed. So I want an antenna that will allow me to talk to you guys from inside the house, without tying me down to one place. Hence the research into a bigger antenna for this purpose.

I have a Diamond SRH-77CA and a Maldol MH-209SMA, along with my stock Yaesu with its 6 meter extension....The MH-209 has less range than the stock, but it makes the radio much more manageable. This is the antenna I will use on the trail for sure. It's super flexible and lets the radio fit easier in my Tuffy.

Dave, thanks for this -- just the kind of information I was hoping for.

Uncle Ben
03-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I've been thinking about how I will likely use the radio. Most of the time, I'll be talking with you guys (or listening in) on Monday nights. Since that's my kid night, I'll probably be moving around the house getting the kids ready for bed. So I want an antenna that will allow me to talk to you guys from inside the house, without tying me down to one place. Hence the research into a bigger antenna for this purpose.

Dave, thanks for this -- just the kind of information I was hoping for.

I went with this (http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=1422) Diamond antenna after talking with Bruce Miller. It has a vast improvement over stock! Collapsed seems to be smiler performance to stock but extended seems to perk up performance quite a bit! I like and dislike the fold over base and made it mo betta by slipping an inch of poly tubing over the antenna so when it's over the hinge the antenna is more ridged but simply slide it up and the radio can lay flat with the antenna upright....works good! The J pole antenna seems like a good solution but if I really need a non mobile radio at the house I might as well get a cheap used mobile and set it up.

Romer
03-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I have the Diamond SRH-320A, which looks like the one in Dave's photo but a bit shorter. It's 14" and I can do the monday night rag chew from my study and I am at the bottom of a hill in my hood.

Hulk
04-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Ordered from Hamcity.com:

VX-7RB
A - Amateur Transceiver Handheld 50/144/440 SMA
$276.00

MH-209SMA
Antenna Handheld 144/440 SMA
$19.95

SRH789
Antenna Handheld 95~1100 SMA
$29.95

CMP460A
Microphone Speaker Handheld
$49.95

Shipping: $9.52
Order Total: $385.37

I was sorely tempted to order the Comet HT-224 (http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=30) rather than the SRH789, but in the end I went with the big mutha. Hants recommended the HT-224, and it seems like a great antenna for its size. I could see starting an antenna collection. :)

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Very cool! Great little radio!

Romer
04-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Nice Matt.

I got all the stuff to program that when you get it

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I like the SRH-789. It definitely pulls in better than the stock antenna and collapsed it about the same hight. The hinge at the bottom bugged me but a 1" piece of plastic tubing made that mo betta. I just slide it up and the antenna can hinge and slid down the antenna isn't so floppy. The speaker mike makes the little radio more clumsy than the antenna. I like Romers antenna too but decided to try something different as thats the way to really see whats betta. I think any antenna that is longer than the rubber ducky is an improvement. Although the short stubby one seems to do almost the same as the RD. maybe it's not the bigger antennas are better more than the stock RD sucks!

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 09:15 AM
I've heard a few people say that, but I've never found the stock VX-7R antenna to be that bad. With its 6m top coil, my original Yaesu antenna sits pretty much in the middle of the performance range of the four antennas I've tried (I also have a rubber ducky from a Radio Shack Pro-25 scanner). I wonder if your original antenna is broken? That's one of the downsides to the rubber duckies, the flexibility tends to make their lifespan shorter.

Thats a thought! Since I procured it used I have no idea of it's history.

Hulk
04-21-2008, 05:50 PM
This one

Ken, I think I am going to buy the same cable. What software are you using? Did you buy his cable for the FT-7800 as well?

Romer
04-21-2008, 07:08 PM
I actually have the commander SW and the ADM stuff Yaesu sells. I wanted to try both and the Commander SW is fine.

Your welcome to borrow my cable if you want

Hulk
04-24-2008, 11:04 PM
I actually have the commander SW and the ADM stuff Yaesu sells. I wanted to try both and the Commander SW is fine.

Your welcome to borrow my cable if you want

So if I made a stop by your house, we could just upload your programming to my radio(s)? Do you have the cable for the 7800 too? Are you around Friday night or Saturday morning?

Romer
04-24-2008, 11:17 PM
I am aroiund both recovering my leather seats and yes I can program both.

The one thing I am missing from the 7800 are the weather stations, mayve we can update the file with those and program both.

corsair23
04-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Anyone possibly bringing a laptop with the needed software to CM08? I think I can survive without having the radio programmed just fine but CM08 also makes a great meeting place :D

Romer...recovering your leather seats? Shane's stuff? I'd be interested in seeing how they look when you are done :thumb:

Hulk
04-25-2008, 12:33 AM
I could bring my laptop to CM, but we'd need Ken's cables. I wonder if the software runs on Vista.

Shark Bait
04-25-2008, 12:34 AM
I could bring my laptop to CM, but we'd need Ken's cables. I wonder if the software runs on Vista.

I've got cables and I'm bringing my laptop. Anyone is welcome to borrow my cables. I got the FTB8800 software and I've also got the commander software. :D

Romer
04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Thats cool Dave. I know they are programmed into the VX.

I need to add the Moab freqs

nakman
05-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Alright, hey the good news is I can post in this thread now :woot: but I seem to not have a clue what I'm doing.. I can get the rig to turn on, then have about 2 seconds to do something before it seems to just lock up. I get no response from any button or dial at this point, the only way to "unlock" it is to remove the battery then put it in again.

I'm stuck on 144.000 MHz and there's no one to talk to.. not that my PTT button works anyway. Anyone recognize anything obvious on the display? :confused:

nakman
05-21-2008, 12:46 PM
You're a genius Dave, that last one did it. I think the issue was I pressed the memory button last night and I don't have any memories in there, so it must have been stumped.

Yes, brand new, no software, no nothing.. I'm secretly hoping you'll just load me up someday, the 8800 too :)

Romer
05-21-2008, 12:51 PM
You can tell with the MRP in the display

Congrats on the purchase.

I programmed Matt's for him

DaveInDenver
05-21-2008, 01:04 PM
You can tell with the MRP in the display

Congrats on the purchase.

I programmed Matt's for him
I can also program them, if you need a backup.

nakman
05-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Ok cool, hey I will bring both to the Rubithon non-planning meeting next week, this is something we can do anywhere, right?

Anyone want to try simplex tonight? :)

Romer
05-21-2008, 03:02 PM
The VX commander is free and Both Dave and I have posted our files in trhe members section. I could loan you the cable and you could do it at home and tweak the file if you want other things.

I took the VX file and used that as the starting point to my 7800 file so both radios are programmed in a similar organization. It was nice driving to Moab onl;y having to turn the dial to witch between memory channels, then going out of memory mode to enter the simplex freq for the trail I was on that day

corsair23
05-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Ok cool, hey I will bring both to the Rubithon non-planning meeting next week, this is something we can do anywhere, right?

Anyone want to try simplex tonight? :)

Time and frequency? :thumb:

Congrats BTW on the new purchase :D

I've had mine for about a month and so far have only heard a couple dudes (one in Brighton, the other around 6th and Federal) chatting about back pain :rolleyes:. Mondays night have been quiet and I never heard anyone on it the whole time I was in Moab - Of course leaving the good mobile antenna at home on accident didn't help :(. I need to figure out the squelch thing...The "noise" is annoying.

nakman
05-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Let's go for around 9:00, I'll monitor both the 145 repeater and 146.460 simplex in the 80 while I fiddle with the HT and book..

corsair23
05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Let's go for around 9:00, I'll monitor both the 145 repeater and 146.460 simplex in the 80 while I fiddle with the HT and book..

Roger dodger :thumb: - If I'm not on that means I'm still reading to the :Princess:s or I can't respond. I don't yet have the repeater tone setup so I can't talk/be heard (I can hear) :(

I'll listen for you on both though and hope we can simplex on .460 :)

Warning: I have not actually talked at all on the HT, ever :rolleyes:, so my lingo and technic will be somewhat noobish :hill:

corsair23
05-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Just got on...

Listening on 145.145 & 146.460 - nothing but static so far :)

nakman
05-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Just got on...

Listening on 145.145 & 146.460 - nothing but static so far :)

Hey I was out there until about 9:30, must have just missed you.

Never did figure out how to get the repeater to work on the HT.. I found where to change the tone, but can't seem to find the ENC DEC stuff, which I think is my missing piece. This will all become moot anyway next week when Dave uploads my new brain, but I'd still like to know how to do it though.

DaveInDenver
05-22-2008, 09:38 AM
...uploads...brain
When? Wed is probably the only day that would be out.

corsair23
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Hey I was out there until about 9:30, must have just missed you.

Never did figure out how to get the repeater to work on the HT.. I found where to change the tone, but can't seem to find the ENC DEC stuff, which I think is my missing piece. This will all become moot anyway next week when Dave uploads my new brain, but I'd still like to know how to do it though.

Yep, must have just missed you. I did listen in on some storm chaser dudes though later on :thumb:

I was really interested in seeing if we can reach each other on the HTs from that distance.

I need new brains too! But, I have a cable now so I really just need to DL the software and upload the file here someday.

nakman
05-22-2008, 04:00 PM
When? Wed is probably the only day that would be out.

Are you going to be at the anti-planning meeting next Friday? that's probably the soonest I can break free anyway.. I can just type in frequencies in the mean time :D.

DaveInDenver
05-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Are you going to be at the anti-planning meeting next Friday? that's probably the soonest I can break free anyway.. I can just type in frequencies in the mean time :D.
Yeah, was planning on it.

Shark Bait
06-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Does anyone notice their VX-7R get hot while in service? Sitting here tonight on the RS net mine got pretty warm. I don't recall that happening in the past. :confused:

corsair23
06-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Does anyone notice their VX-7R get hot while in service? Sitting here tonight on the RS net mine got pretty warm. I don't recall that happening in the past. :confused:

No, but I have yet to transmit :rolleyes:

Were you using full power or a lower power setting?

Shark Bait
06-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Were you using full power or a lower power setting?

I think it was full power. I also had my J-pole's extra coax in a nice neat coil. Wonder if that had anything to do with it. :confused:

corsair23
06-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I also had my J-pole's extra coax in a nice neat coil. Wonder if that had anything to do with it. :confused:

:rolleyes: - You be kidding, right? Put a twisty tie on it in the middle and make it into a figure 8 :cool:

Tramontana
07-11-2008, 06:03 PM
...just returned home from HRO with a NIB VX-7R, 12v cigarette power adapter, and the ADMS-1G programming cable and software. Settled in to the couch with a nice cold Guinness and started into the manual while the battery charges.

Cheers! :cheers:

David (aka Tramontana)
KD0DHK

Tramontana
07-14-2008, 01:19 PM
...and need to find the USB adapter to patch to my PC. Would someone on this thread mind sharing the frequency file that's already been developed for RS4x4 use? I realize I'm not a "member" as I've only been to 2 meetings, and the HAM class, but I plan to make the Aug. meeting and "pay my dues". That, and I'm joining Red Chili for the Jenny Creek work party later this month.

Anyhow, I would certainly appreciate the help.

If possible, email the file to;

daviddbosleyATcomcastDOTnet (punctuation spelled to deter phishing).

Cheers!

Romer
07-14-2008, 02:48 PM
e-mail sent

Tramontana
07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
...received the file, and polling through the list.

Great start and congrats to you and others who've worked on this.

I am curious about the FRS/GMRS freq's that you have included. "IF" a person wanted to TX on these (with the appropriate GMRS class license) has anyone experimented with mod's to their VX-7R to unlock the frequency?

DaveInDenver
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
...received the file, and polling through the list.

Great start and congrats to you and others who've worked on this.

I am curious about the FRS/GMRS freq's that you have included. "IF" a person wanted to TX on these (with the appropriate GMRS class license) has anyone experimented with mod's to their VX-7R to unlock the frequency?
The VX-7R can be forced to TX on FRS & GMRS frequencies. The problem is that ham antennas aren't usually wide enough bandwidth for the radio to do so efficiently. Attempt at some risk. I'd guess the radio would fold back its output pretty significantly trying to TX with the stock rubber duckie and probably most regular antennas that you'll have to use higher power to radiate much signal and most of the power will end up as heat rather than RF energy. But with an antenna analyzer you could maybe find an suitable antenna and make it work. Dunno 'bout that.

Tramontana
07-17-2008, 07:56 AM
...last night I finally figured out how to import the frequency list from the Commander software into the RT Systems Programming.

My radio still will not communicate with the Commander/USB adapter setup, but will recognize the VX-7 Programmer.

Now however, while I have the radio tuned to any of the 400 frequencies, it keeps beeping every five seconds, and shifting from whichever memory recall frequency onto 144.000 with a tag MRP.

Any guesses from the HAM gallery as to what is going on?

Cheers and 73's.

wesintl
08-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Does someone want to sell me theirs when the vx-8r comes out. :dunno:

You know you want that fancy blue tooth technology.:comp:

Uncle Ben
08-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Does someone want to sell me theirs when the vx-8r comes out. :dunno:

You know you want that fancy blue tooth technology.:comp:

Thats very :cool: I'll sell you my 7r with spare battery and ac and dc plugs for the cost of the 8r! :lmao: Seriously, we can chat about the possibilities....maybe early September near Keensburg?

wesintl
08-07-2008, 10:05 PM
:thumb:

We'll see how long I can hold out. The 7x from univeral radio is $285, supposedly the 8r will be about $330.

I dunno, the blue tooth hand free could be the shizzle :eek:

Uncle Ben
08-08-2008, 12:35 AM
:thumb:

We'll see how long I can hold out. The 7x from univeral radio is $285, supposedly the 8r will be about $330.

I dunno, the blue tooth hand free could be the shizzle :eek:

Doing the cross band repeat thing I see no reason to leave the hammock if ya got blue tooth head set on! Most of the times these little HT's don't need any more power and can reach out and talk to whomever on their own! So hammock, cooler w beer, HT w blue tooth and two shade trees.....now thats wheelin'!

Rock Dog
08-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Doing the cross band repeat thing I see no reason to leave the hammock if ya got blue tooth head set on! Most of the times these little HT's don't need any more power and can reach out and talk to whomever on their own! So hammock, cooler w beer, HT w blue tooth and two shade trees.....now thats wheelin'!

you missed the virtual reality goggles so you can be "virtually Wheeling" from that hammock.......;)

wesintl
09-24-2008, 10:31 PM
I think the icom 92ad is really cool with the gps mic.

The 3r is ridiculously cool with how small it is for hiking and you can use AA batteries with it too.

I was at hro and he said any day on the 8r.

wesintl
09-25-2008, 02:02 PM
yikes $410 for the 8r...