PDA

View Full Version : 4.5L Supercharger??

treerootCO
02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Toyota lists it on their web page again. I don't understand...

http://www.trdusa.com/partscatalog.cfm?view=detail&subcategory=37&vehicle=landcruiser

Romer
02-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Did you try and order one?

treerootCO
02-15-2008, 05:52 PM
We know Toyota discontinued them and that they are not available at this time :(

corsair23
02-16-2008, 01:53 AM
Romer....

What does your inside source say? I'm seriously considering the "Romer Plan" to get a supercharger when/if they ever become available again. The only thing I miss about my Durango is the power...I want, no NEED, mo' powa' :D

Romer
02-16-2008, 08:26 AM
No info here. Why not ask Bill, he knows more about this stuff than Dan would.

There was a thread on Mud about another company getting ready to sell these after buying the design from TRD. Don't remember the details.

Corbet
02-17-2008, 06:14 PM
they are listed in a few places. :(

http://www.tlc4x4.com/2000/Parts/tlc_kazuma_supercharger.htm

I want one too.

Last time I contacted TLC regarding one, they said probably late November after the SEMA show. That was 10/2007. I have not followed up with them since. TRD never emailed me back in December.

subzali
02-17-2008, 07:33 PM
I heard they were doing upgrades on the design, is that right?

Hulk
02-18-2008, 12:47 AM
I want one too.

MDH33
02-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Romer....

What does your inside source say? I'm seriously considering the "Romer Plan" to get a supercharger when/if they ever become available again. ...

The Romer Plan? Would that be selling your 40 to fund a Supercharger upgrade? :eek: :D

Don't do it!

Corbet
02-18-2008, 08:09 AM
I heard they were doing upgrades on the design, is that right?

This is what TLC told me. Redesigning the pulley so that you can not change the diameter and "adjust" your boost.

corsair23
02-18-2008, 11:48 AM
The Romer Plan? Would that be selling your 40 to fund a Supercharger upgrade? :eek: :D

Don't do it!

Not to worry...At the rate the supercharger seems to be coming along the 40 might actually be out of the garage and back on the road before then :hill:. It is just cruel to let it sit in the garage though :(

Uncle Ben
02-18-2008, 12:01 PM
This is what TLC told me. Redesigning the pulley so that you can not change the diameter and "adjust" your boost.

That's total crap! If you can't tune an engine for optimum performance why buy performance enhancing parts? I suspect there will be a few older ones for sale from those who want the "upgraded" ones. Hold out or turbo charge! :rolleyes:

corsair23
02-18-2008, 12:23 PM
That's total crap! If you can't tune an engine for optimum performance why buy performance enhancing parts? I suspect there will be a few older ones for sale from those who want the "upgraded" ones. Hold out or turbo charge! :rolleyes:

Someone pee in your Wheaties this morning UB :confused: :D

40 runs fine (just need to dink with the carb a little) it is more of this little issue I have in wanting it to be "perfect" - oh and it is only a 2-seater right now which doesn't work well with a family of 4 :hill:

Supercharger would be nice, but honestly other than when towing the popup I'm fine. Having some extra power would be great but I'll live. Turbo charging would be :cool: but @ $9K installed (Slee's turbo) that's almost what I paid for the LX so that isn't happening. If I had more skillz than wishes life would be good but that ain't me, yet :)

subzali
02-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I could be wrong, but I think UB might have quoted the wrong post and was talking about not being able to adjust the pulley size, which I know he's done quite extensively :headbang: :kevin:

Hulk
02-18-2008, 12:52 PM

Man, I hate companies that try to lock down everything so the end user can't make changes. From the iPhone to a TLC supercharger, it's just the wrong way to treat your customers. Verizon actually disable features on the phones they get from manufacturers.
:mad:

corsair23
02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I could be wrong, but I think UB might have quoted the wrong post and was talking about not being able to adjust the pulley size, which I know he's done quite extensively :headbang: :kevin:

In that case, in the famous words of Gilda Radner...."Nevermind" :hill:

Uncle Ben
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM

You are correct and I went back and fixed it. Sorry Jeff! Your 40 Rocks and your Pink Panty mobile is pristine.....I would no way bash your choices....but wait.... :rolleyes: ;) :lmao:

Thank you Matt for 'terpritin UBieaneez! :home: :lmao::lmao:

corsair23
02-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Sorry Jeff! Your 40 Rocks and your Pink Panty mobile is pristine.....

Brown noser! :hill:

As for Matt "'terpritin" for you....Hmmm :rolleyes: IIRC wasn't Radar O'Reily real good at that as well? If the nickname fits... :D

subzali
02-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks for giving me a laugh - I really needed that :D

Romer
02-18-2008, 05:41 PM
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/m1webgear/ProductDetails.aspx?PartUniqueID=E88153B8-6D9D-41CE-95B1-8B51BA8063AE

nakman
02-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Meh, you guys can have 'em. 91 octane isn't getting any cheaper, your fuel economy gets worse, I don't exactly use the top end on the trail and you're going to have to wait for the other trucks on the run at the top of the pass anyway. I'd personally rather have OBA and a burrito cooker. And if the day comes to plunk $5K under the hood why not go with a Tundra V8, or Duramax diesel, or something else that gives you a much bigger bang for the same or similar bucks.

And Corsair in order to fully implement the Romer plan you have to sell your 40 to me, so hey let's talk in a year or two buddy.... :)

Romer
02-18-2008, 10:06 PM
reffug (on Mud) had a turbo'd 80 that came from Colorado. A few months ago, he fell asleep at the wheel and totaled his truck. He has the crunched truck sitting in his driveway.

He just bought Clownmidgets (On mud) turbo'd 80 to replace it, so he will start parting his wrecked truck out soon.

He says the turbo and engine is in great condition.

It's easier than getting a SC right now.

corsair23
02-18-2008, 10:17 PM
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/m1webgear/ProductDetails.aspx?PartUniqueID=E88153B8-6D9D-41CE-95B1-8B51BA8063AE

MUD post:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/205924-lc-eng-supercharger-now-available.html

Interesting note in that thread is post #11:

LC has had my supercharged 80 at their shop since October. They tore it apart and are tooling it to be reproduced. They are also adding some other goodies to it as we speak.

The rumor about the overseas contract is not correct even in the slightest. If you call John in the r&d department he can tell you all about it.

j-

corsair23
02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
reffug (on Mud) had a turbo'd 80 that came from Colorado. A few months ago, he fell asleep at the wheel and totaled his truck. He has the crunched truck sitting in his driveway.

He just bought Clownmidgets (On mud) turbo'd 80 to replace it, so he will start parting his wrecked truck out soon.

He says the turbo and engine is in great condition.

It's easier than getting a SC right now.

I was chatting with Chris Wood (ex-ARB guy) about turbo vs. supercharging...He mentioned that he has driven both versions and that the turbo charged rig seemed "smoother" and faster. The problem I have with a turbocharger vs supercharger (aside from the cost difference) is IMO a turbo has to "build up" pressure. At least that has been my experience :confused:

So with a turbo you get a surge of power after say 2000+ rpms but with a supercharger the power should be more linear, correct?

corsair23
02-18-2008, 10:24 PM
And Corsair in order to fully implement the Romer plan you have to sell your 40 to me, so hey let's talk in a year or two buddy.... :)

That is true :D...Ok, 2 years. Funny, my aftermarket warranty expires in ~2 years and realistically I'm guessing I can't do anything until then anyway unless I want to void the warranty. So, start saving your pennies now :hill:

subzali
02-18-2008, 11:16 PM
In my dad's turbo'd 80 it takes a little over a second for the turbo to fully spool up when you mash the pedal - you get used to it. On the trail I could see, on delicate obstacles where you need precise throttle response, that it could be a detriment, but he's rolling on 33s with no lift and has topped out at 18mpg doing mostly commuter-type driving, but not stop and go. When I drive it though, I just can't help but put my foot in it :D I get probably closer to 13 or 14.

Romer - reffug's didn't happen to be white and lifted did it?

Uncle Ben
02-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I was chatting with Chris Wood (ex-ARB guy) about turbo vs. supercharging...He mentioned that he has driven both versions and that the turbo charged rig seemed "smoother" and faster. The problem I have with a turbocharger vs supercharger (aside from the cost difference) is IMO a turbo has to "build up" pressure. At least that has been my experience :confused:

So with a turbo you get a surge of power after say 2000+ rpms but with a supercharger the power should be more linear, correct?

True....SC's are always spooled which means you get boost as soon as the load hits 0 atmospheric vrs chargers that have to spool up once load hits 0 atmospheric. Turbos can pack more air because it's easier to cool the charge vrs chargers that create more heat by design and are more prone to heat soak. Short story....SC's are immediate gain but can be inefficient at higher R's while turbos lag but keep on boosting until motor blows! Which is better? Depends on what you want....low and mid range linear surge with moderate top end or sharp and steep torque curve and beastly top end?

Romer
02-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Romer - reffug's didn't happen to be white and lifted did it?

Lifted yes, white no.

I think it belonged to someone named Tony about 4 years ago here in Colorado that was being sold through Christo.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182696&stc=1&d=1193213652

Romer
02-19-2008, 07:15 AM
And how it looks now. Jamie fell asleep and ran straight into a pole. Anyother vehicle and he would have been dead.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185403&stc=1&d=1194285880

corsair23
02-19-2008, 09:14 AM
And how it looks now. Jamie fell asleep and ran straight into a pole. Anyother vehicle and he would have been dead.

:eek:

I had read about the accident but I had not seen any pictures...Reminds me of the pics of that guy on MUD that ran into a crane at like 60+ mph, and lived.

subzali
02-19-2008, 09:25 AM
There are SO many of those stories (there's also a guy on MUD that ran into a stakebed that peeled the hood back)...I'm pretty sure there's no substitute for Toyota engineering. Read IdahoDoug's descriptions of most of those accidents and you'll see how well 80 series trucks are thought out.

Beater
02-19-2008, 10:25 AM
turbo lag can be addressed by currectly sizing the impeller, using dual stage, and or pop off valves and boost filter/regulators.

Straight six motors with automatics are awesome for turboing. most people go bigger on the turbo than nescessary.

Uncle Ben
02-19-2008, 11:18 AM
turbo lag can be addressed by currectly sizing the impeller, using dual stage, and or pop off valves and boost filter/regulators.

Straight six motors with automatics are awesome for turboing. most people go bigger on the turbo than nescessary.

You can lesson the lag by speeding up the spool time or lessening the boost but the fact remains that when 0 atmospheric is reached the bypass on an already spooled SC closes or a waist gate on an idle turbo opens. Linear or lag!

Beater
02-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I said addressed, not cured.... :rolleyes:

wesintl
02-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Turbo is still better :D

Uncle Ben
02-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Turbo is still better :D

For diesels and Tuners maybe. Hey Treeroot..... :lmao::lmao: :hill:

treerootCO
02-19-2008, 05:20 PM
:zilla::snail::snail::snail::snail::snail: :p:

Dino needed some help out of the 80s

treerootCO
07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/230581-info-new-fzj80-superchargers-finally.html

Romer
07-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Hmm, cool news. This one Sarah will have to break into her savings for

corsair23
07-11-2008, 10:27 PM
$4K :eek:

Power doesn't come cheap anymore...I assume to that you can probably add $2-3K in engine PM work (HG etc) and be looking at a real world cost of $6-7K all said and done. Maybe I don't hate going 30 mph up the passes while towing all that much :rolleyes:

Romer
07-11-2008, 10:51 PM
If it is sold at the dealers, you will be able to get the discount. Engine PM work would be half of that if you hired Robbie.

That feel a little better?

Hulk
07-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Man, I want this, but $4k is a lot of coin.

Corbet
07-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I really want some forced induction but that is lots of $$$ considering its parts only.

Rick (Landtank) was estimating $2000-$2500 in parts for his turbo kit which is getting closer to reality.

Uncle Ben
07-12-2008, 01:55 PM
I really want some forced induction but that is lots of $$$ considering its parts only.

Rick (Landtank) was estimating $2000-$2500 in parts for his turbo kit which is getting closer to reality.

I have to agree, $4k is a lot of coin for the basic setup. Add to that fine tuning, other enhancements and cooling upgrades than might be needed and you are talking more money than you can sell most 80's for right now! A supercharger is the ideal linear power enhancement for a dual purpose rig vrs a turbo which will yield bigger power gains with cooler operating temps but less linear and predictable power curve. I do suspect a turbo could see better overall fuel economy providing the operator has right foot control. So bottom line of my post is I think CDans predictions are right on. The desire for SC's is there but actual commitment and willingness to fork over $5k (SC, belts, plugs wires, misc and taxes) is probably more talk than action. More practical upgrades would be an engine swap or home made turbo setups!

Corbet
07-12-2008, 02:05 PM
turbo which will yield bigger power gains with cooler operating temps ........ I do suspect a turbo could see better overall fuel economy providing the operator has right foot control.

All strong arguments for the turbo in my book.

Rick said something like $600 for the manifold if you wanted to homebrew a system. Which would be the biggest factor, or in this case the smallest $;)$

Rock Dog
07-12-2008, 09:32 PM
That is indeed a lot of coin :eek:
Keep in mind it also makes the OBO a no go....

MY SC will have to be rebuilt soon when Robbie does the Head Gasket, but CDAN was saying he thought it was more in the $800-$1200 range to have rebuilt. After seeing this post i am a bit more worried i may have underestimated what it will take... :(

sleeoffroad
07-13-2008, 09:53 AM
The $4k is not bad, it is the fact that the 80's are cheap now that skews the equation. But you save on the truck, spend on the performance.

As for turbo, I would take that every time over SC. For people considering the turbo manifold I would suggest that you talk to Landtank about what happens if that manifold cracks. I know he is not a business selling them, but you would then need a replacement. Even Safari that has a lot of experience with turbo's had cracking issues.

He is doing a great job designing that, and he did say that the company makes them for the BMW crowd, so one must hope that it will be the right metal composition to prevent cracking, but the problem still might come up. Not sure if he is going to stock replacement units.

Also, to put a kit together for $2500 is going to take some doing. The devil is in the details. $2500 might cover the big ticket items, but the plumbing and all the small items add up pretty quick.

Just as a FYI>

Corbet
07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Yes the $2500 was for the basics. I'm sure it did not include a higher volume fuel delivery system or new exhaust after the turbo. There will be be more to it.