PDA

View Full Version : Cargo nets...

corsair23
02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Not sure how "techy" this is but here goes...

I've been looking into a divider for behind the 2nd row seats to keep cargo in the rear and off our noggins when wheeling. Last year at CM07 I used one of those metal doggy divider deals that I used in my Durango. It worked fine, but I don't like the fact that it pushes up into the headliner (even with protection between the top of the divider and the headliner).

Started looking at cargo net options and came across a thread in MUD (http://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-section/18547-80-series-cargo-net-group-buy-build.html) that ultimately led me to a company called Raingler (http://www.raingler.com/) and then on to Off Road Concepts (http://www.offroadconcepts.net/).

They don't have any nets listed for the 80 series (do have nets listed for 4Runners) so I emailed them about possibly making a net for the 80 series. I have been trading emails with "Eddie" and he thinks the model they have for the LR Discovery would be a perfect fit.

So, for the tech part, what is the consensus, if any, of using something like this to keep the cargo in the back over say the doggy divider? In general I strap anything heavy to the floor of the 80 (tubs with tools, etc) so the net would really only need to keep sleeping bags and light stuff from sliding forward. In the event of a roll over, well hopefully the stuff strapped to the floor stays put. I don't have drawers FWIW.

Also, would any other 80 series owners (or 4Runner owners) be interested in a net? Eddie has offered to sell me a net and if it doesn't fit I can return it. He also offered a little bit of a discount/refund if I take pictures of the net installed that he can post up but I still have to front the cost for the net first. If others are interested and the sucker fits/works then I can check with Eddie on a group buy.

:cheers:

http://www.raingler.com/RBN8.jpg

Uncle Ben
02-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Those are kinda cool! I hate rattles so metal barriers turn me off. I would definitely be interested in learning more about these! :thumb:

Shark Bait
02-28-2008, 07:21 PM
I was thinking of looking for some kind of "net" to put on my FJ40 roll cage in the back on the sides for miscellaneous stuff. Do they have anything like that?

Corbet
02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
What does the net mount too? How big are the holes?

corsair23
02-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Those are kinda cool! I hate rattles so metal barriers turn me off. I would definitely be interested in learning more about these! :thumb:

Ok...I'll keep you in the loop :cool:

I was thinking of looking for some kind of "net" to put on my FJ40 roll cage in the back on the sides for miscellaneous stuff. Do they have anything like that?

Yep...click on the Offroad Concepts link above and then on the "Shop" button. A LOT of Jeep netting but I assume if the dimensions are what you are looking for it should work

What does the net mount too? How big are the holes?

Well, that is a good question and one I'm not sure I can fully answer until I actually buy one and try to install it. I know they use footman loops in some applications (like what you'd use to secure a bikini top's back straps on a FJ40). I was thinking top part would be secured to the grab handles and the bottom to the tie down points...Middle part not sure :confused:

Not sure on the hole size but I'll ask Eddie. I did ask if the web spacing is standard or if they can custom make the nets to have tighter spacing between the webbing.

EDIT: I rec'd this response back from Eddie tonight. I will say this, he has been very quick to respond back and so far great to work with :thumb:

I will have to get back to you on the net dimensions. i checked it earlier and you will have about a 4-6" gap at the very top of the roof center depending on how you adjust the straps and if you change mount points etc. The net uses 8 cam buckles each with 2' of strap for attatching and tightening. We get many vehicles that do happen to use a net originally designed for something else. The ring point allow for flexibility on web direction as well. The net is set with about 4" openings This is done for the best balance of visibility and not too large to let most items pass through. Anything can be done on a custom basis if you wanted a one off to your specs too. We are in SE Colorado, near the NM border. Another option may be a just above the rear seat back net if that may be more cost effective and still get the job done. please let me know anything else I can answer, will get back to you on Monday with the dimensions as I won't be in the office tommorrow. Thanks, Eddie

I hadn't thought of NOT doing a full net but that might be a workable solution (and less expensive). I don't think I need a net that goes all the way to the floor.

Bighead
02-29-2008, 03:35 AM
Also, would any other 80 series owners (or 4Runner owners) be interested in a net?

I would be interested. I have seen that site before but haven't been sure if I wanted a vertical net behind the seats or just one that secures my cargo to the floor.

corsair23
02-29-2008, 01:26 PM
I would be interested. I have seen that site before but haven't been sure if I wanted a vertical net behind the seats or just one that secures my cargo to the floor.

Lance,

They sell both the vertical and the horizontal nets. They appear to be well made nets but not having one yet who knows. They definitely aren't "cheap" so hopefully the $$ reflects the quality in this case.

Bighead
03-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Jeff, the next time you e-mail him could you see if he can send some install instructions for the vertical net or some pics of the attachment points? I'm curious as to how the anchor points are attached to the vehicle.

RockRunner
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Jeff,

I am in for sure, I need one for Rubithon. Depending on the price, some are pretty expensive and no better. I also need two for the sides so the doggies stay in the truck when stopped and incase of the worst scenario.

What are the prices he quoted you and will the one you are looking at work in the first gen 4Runner? I don't think it will. Is he up for a group buy???

corsair23
03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Jeff,

I am in for sure, I need one for Rubithon. Depending on the price, some are pretty expensive and no better. I also need two for the sides so the doggies stay in the truck when stopped and incase of the worst scenario.

What are the prices he quoted you and will the one you are looking at work in the first gen 4Runner? I don't think it will. Is he up for a group buy???

Tom,

I'll let you know what I find out. So far not much interest in him on a group buy. I think that may stem from the lack luster interest the last go around on MUD. If enough positive interest is shown then maybe he'll reconsider.

As of now price wise it is what you see on the website linked above. According to Eddie they can custom build nets to your specs if an off the shelf one wont fit your application but you'd have to get a quote for a price.

He offered me a modest discount/refund (25%) off the purchase price if what I buy fits and I take pictures that he can use on his site to advertise. I'm leaning toward a non full lenth net right now if I can figure out the mounting issue.

corsair23
03-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Jeff, the next time you e-mail him could you see if he can send some install instructions for the vertical net or some pics of the attachment points? I'm curious as to how the anchor points are attached to the vehicle.

Lance,

Will do. From what I can tell so far typical installation is to use existing points in a vehicle to tie to (i.e. grab handles, tie down points, etc.) with the provided straps. For folks that don't have existing attachment points they sell the "footman loops" that are secured to your vehicle however you see fit (they don't provide the hardware).

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
So Sir Jeff....any news on these?

corsair23
04-09-2008, 01:01 AM
So Sir Jeff....any news on these?

Yes, and no. He sent me back the measurements for the net he thought would work and then I sort of got derailed on other stuff :doh:

I'll dig out the emails and post up what the measurements are that I took and what he has available off the shelf and you can let me know what you think. The biggest issue I see if securing the net at about mid-point level. The top I "think" could attach to the grab handles and the bottom could attach to the tie down loops. The middle section :confused:. Not sure how great the grab handles and tie down loops are though for securing a cargo net...

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 07:43 AM
I like the idea of the "nets" as opposed to the wire barriers! I want to be able to move them forward for when I have the second row out or folded forward and utilizing more storage space. Also I really do not want the barrier up all the time when not needed.
So get on it "slacker!" You act like you have a family and a life or something! :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

RockRunner
04-09-2008, 07:53 AM
I saw some on a J**P site that may work for me at least. Not sure if they would be wide enough for a LC. I plan on using one to separate the the cargo section from the rest of the truck for the dogs. I am also looking into one that would separate the passenger section from the front area, dogs would be in the back seat area. Those two nets would be the same and then two window sections from Rubicon Unlimited to cover the side window areas from the B pillar as far back as they go.

I have the link at home and will post it here tonight so you guys can take a look at it. Price is not to bad.

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I just Googled around a tad, will do more later today but Milford make a net also. Maybe Christo can help since he is one of two distributors listed in the US.

http://www.milfordind.com.au/index.php/selectedContent/348543509

RockRunner
04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Looks great for the 80/100 series but in my 4Runner with the soft top it will not work. I am thinking about going with the racing nets and custom mounts.

nakman
05-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Has anything happened here? I am looking for some new solutions, now that I'll be taking a hound dog on the Rubithon. I found a site that does custom size nylon netting http://www.usnetting.com/HTML/cargoWEBgr.html for 16.25/ft² on a 6" web spacing. You pick the color and web width...

I'm thinking a 48"x24" piece is really all I need, to go above the drawers and stretch across behing the 2nd row seats. They have a $100 minimum, but that shouldn't be too hard to overcome. Anyone else interested?

Jeff, anything ever happen with the stuff above?

Shark Bait
05-27-2008, 11:06 AM
I got these from Off Road Concepts. Jeff had put a link in above. The net doesn't completely cover my cargo area front to back, but it's pretty good. Side to side is good coverage. It's pretty easy to use.

nakman
05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Chris, that red one in back is probably just what I need.. do you know which part that is on their site? http://www.offroadconcepts.net/

Shark Bait
05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Chris, that red one in back is probably just what I need.. do you know which part that is on their site? http://www.offroadconcepts.net/

I just emailed him and copied you. It's 38"x20". This looks like it:

http://www.raingler.com/RPBf.jpg

It's listed for $94.97 in black or red.

corsair23
05-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Tim,

I've been working with Eddie on this for awhile now. Got the net installed and I was pretty happy with it at Moab. I'm working with Eddie to determine if it is a viable solution for the 80 series "as is" or if it needs some tweaking.

What I've found is that for it to really work 100% you'll need to install some footman loops which I am not really wanting to do. I was comfortable though during CM08 with how tight it was how I installed it. I'll throw up some pictures below including a modified version that Eddie sent back to me showing how he thought it should be installed/look. Turns out we "think" I had the top & bottom flipped :doh:. It fits a little tighter now and if I could attach the bottom center to something it would be real taut. Construction quality wise the net seems to be top notch.

On another note, I'm thinking for folks that have drawers OR don't mind installing a set of footman loops on either side that the 1/2 net (IIRC also for the Discovery) would work real well and be all you need. The 2nd row seats of the 80 are pretty high so you don't really need all that much net. The fact that the 1/2 net is less expensive doesn't hurt either. I've been trying to get Eddie to send me on to try out and report back on :D

Do me a favor though. If you DO contact Eddie (Offroad Concepts), let him know you are with Rising Sun and that you are seeing this stuff. I'm not sure he'll give you a discount or anything but I've been telling him I would share this information with all of the RS members etc. so it would be good for him to know we are sort of serious about the nets :). I think how the MUD thread/experience turned out kind of turned him off a tad.

Anyway, sorry for not posting up sooner but I was trying to finalize things a bit more. But, I should have been quicker to share this information knowing that some of you may be interested in getting something for the Rubithon :thumb:.

Pics

Picture 1: How I had it installed
Picture 2: Showing how it might look with a couple footman loops to secure the sides of the net (have them temp looped through the 3rd row window latches for the picture)
Picture 3: Showing how I have the top attached - Note I purchased 4 additional sections of tie dows and used one on each side to secure the top of the net to the 2nd row grab handles. Didn't use the other 2 sections (yet)
Picture 4: Just a view of the side
Picture 5: The modded picture Eddie sent back to me - this indicated I had the net installed upside down. I thought the net was the same top to bottom. I reversed the net yesterday and it does indeed seem to fit better but due to the crappy lighting I didn't snap any pictures.

nakman
05-27-2008, 09:58 PM
thanks for the pics, that is pretty nice. It looks like the one I want is the D-90 net though, not the Disco one. I really only need a couple feet, just whatever is above the 2nd rows.

Any interest in getting yours Rubithon tested? :) j/k.. these are cool, but dang even the cheapest one is $100.. I shouldn't have waited so long.

edit: what does that middle set of straps hook to? the ones in the slider.. is that just a bracket that wedges in somehow? :confused:

corsair23
05-28-2008, 01:13 AM
thanks for the pics, that is pretty nice. It looks like the one I want is the D-90 net though, not the Disco one. I really only need a couple feet, just whatever is above the 2nd rows.

That is my thought (and I believe that is the net Eddie mentioned as a possibility) for anyone running drawers in the rear or that doesn't mind adding some footman loops to the side walls in order to attach the lower portion of the net (I'm guessing here on the install).

Any interest in getting yours Rubithon tested? :) j/k.. these are cool, but dang even the cheapest one is $100.. I shouldn't have waited so long.

Definitely, although I was figuring Matt would be using it in his 80 :D. I haven't talked to him about it though so maybe he already has something to use - either way I'd like to have it on the run to see how it does so I can provide feedback to Eddie. I have one of those metal dog barriers you're welcome to borrow for the trip, just not sure how that would work with your drawers :confused:.

edit: what does that middle set of straps hook to? the ones in the slider.. is that just a bracket that wedges in somehow? :confused:

There are actually 4 attachment points on each side...The loops at the top and bottom and then another set just below the top loops and just above the bottom loops. Technically the preferred installation method would be to install 4 footman loops on each side, at strategically placed locations, for the straps on the net to attach to.

Personally, I don't really want to drill into my body to attach the footman loops to the truck, so I'm trying to make the net work without doing so. I have now attached both upper sets of straps to the 3rd row grab bar (in the second picture above I have 2nd top strap temporarily strapped to the 3rd window catch plate just to show what it would look like with that strap pulled tight out to the side). I then used a couple of the additional straps I bought to attach the top loop to the 2nd row grab bar as well (one per side). This allowed me to "center" the net between the two and have it hanging just behind the 2nd row seats.

For the bottom hoops, I only attached one of them on each side to the cargo tie down points. I wasn't planning on the net having to hold anything heavy back as the heavy stuff was independently strapped to the floor for CM08. I really wanted the net more to keep lighter items like sleeping bags, duffle bag with clothes, pillows, etc. from coming forward.

Now that I have flipped the net (top became bottom and the bottom became the top) like it should have been it seems the net appears to fit better and more like what Eddie drew up on that picture. I have the 2nd loops from the bottom attached to the hinges on the outside of the second row seats and the bottom loop attached to the cargo tie down points. Much tighter now.

For the full net setup I'm thinking that it might work if a person were to fab up some brackets that could attach to the grab handle bar bolts that would allow you to slip the strap through. Make up a couple more that could attach to the 2nd row shoulder belt attachment point for the 2nd set of straps. Maybe install 1 set of footman loops on the wheel wells for the 2nd from the bottom strap. The bottom strap would still attach to the cargo tie down points.

For the 1/2 net the setup would be the same at the top but the bottom would need to probably have some footman loops on the side walls of the rig. The question being how low would those loops have to be to make the net tight because I can forsee problems if the loops need to be installed down where the interior trim becomes the bulky plastic....

Uncle Ben
05-28-2008, 07:51 AM
I want a net that I can move from the rear to just behind the drivers seats. I will load quite a bit mid ship to distribute weight better and a movable net is a good idea! This is also why I do not want any more passengers other than a co-pilot as the butt heavy 80 doesn't need everything packed in the butt!

Convert
05-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Jeff
Maybe I missed it. Which net are you using for the 80?

corsair23
05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Jeff
Maybe I missed it. Which net are you using for the 80?

Dan,

The net Eddie sent me is the "LRBN Land Rover Discovery Barrier Net"

I can't link directly to it but if you go to Offroadconcepts.net (http://www.offroadconcepts.net/) and click on "Shop", then click on "Land Rover Netting", it is the 4th one on the page. Assuming everything works out with my install and Eddie is satisfied with the fit and feels others will be as well, it will become a listed net under the Toyota section :thumb:

corsair23
05-28-2008, 10:42 AM
I want a net that I can move from the rear to just behind the drivers seats. I will load quite a bit mid ship to distribute weight better and a movable net is a good idea! This is also why I do not want any more passengers other than a co-pilot as the butt heavy 80 doesn't need everything packed in the butt!

UB,

I was looking at that possibility last night :). Thinking Rubicon here and either having the 2nd row seats out or folded.

A quick look makes me think the net would work behind the second row seats but it would require some creativity on mounting points. You would definitely need to come up with some way to attach the bottom straps to the floor and then something to attach the top straps to. Possibly the grab handles again?

As a point of time reference, it took me about 10 minutes Monday night to remove the net and reinstall it "upside down" so the net is definitely quickly movable. Much quicker to install and remove than the metal doggy barrier I used in the past, and the net doesn't leave a "dent" in the headliner :rolleyes:. Although the dent went away so maybe that isn't a concern.

corsair23
05-29-2008, 12:50 AM
New pictures...

Got the net "flipped" and it seems to fit much better :rolleyes:. All I can say is I was in hurry mode to make CM08 and was just happy to get the net installed for the trip and never bothered to pay much attention to something as trivial as there possibly being a top and bottom to the net :hill:

Anyway, here are the pics and you can decide for yourselves. For my purposes the net works fine. My one comment is it might be a couple inches too long but my feeling could change if I were to install some footman loops and really get it pulled snug side to side. But, I'm thinking rather than installing footman loops I might look into having some attachment points fabbed up that can be installed under the grab handles and seat belt attachment points...

NOTE: The way I have the net currently installed required the use of 4 additional straps (purchased with the net). 2 are used on the top loop to go from the loop on the net to the 2nd row seat grab bars (allows me to "center" the net behind the seats). The other 2 I used to lengthen the straps that are attached to the net loops I have secured to the 2nd row seat side hinges (can be seen in the 5th picture - note the two buckles).

corsair23
05-29-2008, 01:07 AM

UB,

Some pictures just for you :thumb:. I was looking at how one might install a net like I have behind the front seats. The biggest issue I see is how far back the front row seats travel, especially for the taller folks :hill:. I'm 5'9" on a good day and my seat is pretty far back. The first picture below is with the PS all the way forward. The second picture shows the PS seat in a position even with where my DS seat is set.

In looking at possible setups, I believe a person could attach the top strap to the grab bar just above and slightly in front of where the seat is. The bottom strap could be attached to either a footman loop installed down low OR to a fabbed up bracket that would attach to the front seat belt attachment point. The middle two straps coming off the net? Well, not sure where those would attach to. The 2nd top loop strap might reach to the 2nd row grab handle. May have to use and extension. The 2nd bottom strap might go to the same bracket or footman loop as the other bottom strap :confused:.

One thing I have not checked yet is the height of the net compared to the floor to roof height in an 80. Knowing how the net fits in the rear cargo area I can only surmise the net will be a little "short" to reach the full height behind the first row seats. But, that is probably not a big issue, especially if the 2nd row seats are folded down or tumbled forward and given that the seats and the console should keep anything low down on the floor from coming forward.

Thoughts?

Uncle Ben
05-29-2008, 06:40 AM
I was scoping it out yesterday. With the second row folded up (or even removed) you have the the seat hinges to mount to. I think it should work. The net doesn't need to reach the floor nearly as well as it needs to just protect the head area.....correct?

nakman
05-29-2008, 08:23 AM
I was scoping it out yesterday. With the second row folded up (or even removed) you have the the seat hinges to mount to. I think it should work. The net doesn't need to reach the floor nearly as well as it needs to just protect the head area.....correct?

I agree with that- it just needs to keep the dog, the tools, the camping stove, a few green cans of gas and that half a case of water more or less in the back, in case of panic stop or, heaven forbid, front impact. In fact if it could just slow the stuff down to the point where no one cries when/if something hits their head, I'd be satisfied.

I'm still undecided on this.. I like these things but it's not where I want to spend more money today. Tempted to just get one of those tailgate nets and cut it in half, then smack some more grommets into it .. :hill:

Uncle Ben
05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm still undecided on this.. I like these things but it's not where I want to spend more money today. Tempted to just get one of those tailgate nets and cut it in half, then smack some more grommets into it .. :hill:

Exactly what I have been thinking!

nakman
05-29-2008, 08:36 AM
great minds! Ok I'm good for half of one if you want to do this..

hey cool they improve gas mileage too! :rolleyes: http://www.shadetreeonline.com/tailgate/nets.htm

Uncle Ben
05-29-2008, 08:39 AM
great minds! Ok I'm good for half of one if you want to do this..

hey cool they improve gas mileage too! :rolleyes: http://www.shadetreeonline.com/tailgate/nets.htm

Is 1/2 of one big enough? I was talking the 80 ya know....a mini Runner you could cut one into thirds and net off the whole second seat area! :lmao::lmao:

nakman
05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Yeah you're right, maybe it'll take a whole one, or close to it. Still, $40 sounds a lot better than $200 today.

corsair23
05-29-2008, 04:59 PM

You guys CRACK me up :lmao:

UB, I agree that the net does not need to reach the floor to use it, especially if you have seats etc in the way of things down low. You just need some longer straps easily obtained to reach whatever you are tying down to :thumb:

corsair23
06-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Pretty pleased right now :D - Moved the cargo net from behind the second row seats to behind the front row seats. I attached the top 2 straps to the front 2nd row grab handles and I attached the bottom strap to the rear of the outside front seat frame. I just looped the 2nd strap up from the bottom to the ring of the bottom strap. A creative person could fab up an attachment point coming off the front seat belt lower mount and/or the seat frame bolt for the bottom straps if they desired.

In the pictures, both front seats are set to where they are normally positioned. Both seats can slide/move forward without any strap interference. I didn't really check for rearward movement but I imagine that would just make the net tighter.

I took pictures with the 2nd row seats up, folded flat, and tumbled. Also, I took some pics with a tape measure to show how much space there is from the top of the net to the headliner and between the side of the net and the B pillar. Nothing big should be sneaking through there. Now, if you carry a samurai sword or something similar, well...:rolleyes: :lmao:

Anyway, check out the pictures and let me know what you think. I'll have the LX at the meeting on Wednesday night with the net in this configuration (I want to check for "noise" from the net movement, if any).

:cheers:

corsair23
06-04-2008, 12:40 AM
More pictures :thumb:

nakman
06-04-2008, 08:33 AM
That's pretty sweet, .. so is that setup going in Hulk's 80 for the trip? Maybe you should just take yours... :bolt:

As for me I appreciate all your legwork on these Jeff, but I think I'm going to stick with what I got for now. I've got a small net-like thing that contains the dog, then the rest of our gear will just stay below the back of the seats. I was thinking of a larger net then realized that makes reaching the fridge from inside a problem, and well there may be times when that just won't be acceptible.

Bighead
06-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Looks great Jeff. This gives me some more ideas for the 4Runner and LC.