PDA

View Full Version : Chains!

Hulk
01-05-2006, 10:22 PM
So if I want to purchase some chains for my FZJ80 before the Sunday Snow+Pizza Run, where should I get them? I'm running BFG AT 285/78 R16 tires (virtually identical to a 33" tire). Is there a big difference in quality? Pep Boys? CarQuest? Napa?

And... how do ya put 'em on? I'm a complete tire chain noob.

TIA.
:beer::beer::beer:

Shark Bait
01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I've got a pair, I think. Should they go on the front or the rear?

powderpig
01-06-2006, 08:16 AM
May want to ask treeroot where he got his, nice oval square link style. It is best on all 4 wheel. but when going up, on front, when goin down on rear. Reasons are you want to chains to do the best for you, so going up you are pulling through stuff and most of the weight is over the pulling axle. When going down, if on front, rear end likes to come around so chains go on rear. Short stuff not a big matter, but long down hills with ice, it is best to have the chains on the rear.
Antother method I have seen reccommened is oposite corners of the truck, one front, one rear. I guess the thought is one will bite to not allow the swaping of either end. And that way if no lockers a wheel will find some traction and pull you forward. Good for a experiment if want to try that method. good luck robbie

treerootCO
01-06-2006, 08:27 AM
http://tirechain.com/square_alloy_cross_chain.htm

219 for all four delivered for 37s. 33s run around 150 for all four.

JadeRunner
01-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Chris,
I'll take that one set of chains if you find them and Matt doesn't want them. My 285 mtr's are 33.1 x 11.5. I can only ever run them on my rear due to clearance issues in the front. I don't need anything nice. Won't plan to use them unless it's absolutly nessessary (ice etc.).

Thanks,

gcmandrake
01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
I bought the RUD chains that Bill Burke describes in this article (http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm) a few years ago for my 96 Taco. These are the coolest and easiest to put on chains, especially when you are already stuck. Good German engineering. It was fortunate that my 85 has 31x10.5 tires and these fit again. They are available from Bill Burke and Western Retarder (http://www.dexonline.com/servlet/ActionServlet?pid=blistings&queryType=&centerCity=&centerState=&centerLabel=Last&PREVIOUS_PAGE=bsearch&from=&queryText=Western+Retarder&distance=10&centerAddress=Enter+street+address&cityText=Denver&state=CO&surroundingAreas=true) . The price, I think, was reasonable.

Matt

Shark Bait
01-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Chris,
I'll take that one set of chains if you find them and Matt doesn't want them. My 285 mtr's are 33.1 x 11.5. I can only ever run them on my rear due to clearance issues in the front. I don't need anything nice. Won't plan to use them unless it's absolutly nessessary (ice etc.).

Thanks,

I'll bring them Sunday , for me! I'm going to try and put them on tomorrow in the street. I thought it would be better to figure it out ahead of time. :D

wesintl
01-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Matt... also check out murdochs on santa fe. THey have, or had a pretty decent selection of chains.

I dunno if i'm going tomorrow. I have alot of stuff to take care of this weekend. I also thought about seeing how far a stock crusier can go and ride from there :D

subzali
01-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Another option for later is to 1) check out I-70 after a snow and pick up tire chains that truckers have thrown/left on the pullouts. I got seven and could have gotten more in one run. 2) check out the state shed in the triangle where Hwy 40 turns off of I-70. Those CDOT guys pick up those broken trucker chains (mainly the cross links) and then I don't know what they do with them. Throw them away? Anyway I'm planning on asking them here pretty soon for a friend of mine, then all you need to get is the crimpers and you can make your own chains for pretty much anything up to a 12.50 tire (maybe wider, not exactly sure)! They have nice cam tighteners too so you don't even need rubber straps, I'll be sporting them on the S/P run for sure! If you have the time to get/make them you sure can't beat it! Basically free! After four hours I came out with four chains plus some spare parts and some tossers out of those seven (two were for double-wides)

Hulk
01-07-2006, 10:14 PM
I bought the RUD chains that Bill Burke describes in this article (http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm) a few years ago for my 96 Taco. They are available from Bill Burke and Western Retarder (http://www.dexonline.com/servlet/ActionServlet?pid=blistings&queryType=&centerCity=&centerState=&centerLabel=Last&PREVIOUS_PAGE=bsearch&from=&queryText=Western+Retarder&distance=10&centerAddress=Enter+street+address&cityText=Denver&state=CO&surroundingAreas=true) .

Western Retarder is now KLAM (http://www.navarrainfo.com/klam/), and they aren't open on Saturdays.

I went to Murdoch's and they didn't have anything bif enough for a 285/75.

Then I called around. If they were open on Saturday, they didn't have my size chains in stock.:(

cxs
01-09-2006, 12:21 PM
The only thing I know about chains is that when I see this on Craigslist I call:

"Tire Chains, 6 sets + repair kit. Fit Toyota Land Cruiser, Jeep Cherokee and Chevy Wagon. Box of Alternators and Alternator Parts for GM, Ford, Chrysler. You Pickup."

Edit: I don't think he had what he thought though, after I take a better look, I may have some to give away.

Hulk
10-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I think I'm going to order the chains from tirechain.com. Every year I wait until the week before the snow run to think about this. Not this year!

corsair23
10-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I think I'm going to order the chains from tirechain.com. Every year I wait until the week before the snow run to think about this. Not this year!

Matt,

I have the set that Treeroot linked to from tirechain.com. Bought them for my '76 that had 33x12.5 15 BFG ATs on it to be used when going hunting. Like most things I bought for my '76 they never got used...

I'm not looking to sell them but if yours don't arrive in time OR if you'd like to borrow them OR like to trial fit them before ordering them let me know. I have the tensioners etc and could even show you how to put them on if you've never done so.

Romer
10-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Anyone evaluate these in comparison to the ones Bill Burke sells?

Romer
10-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Guess I should add the link:

http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm

corsair23
10-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Guess I should add the link:

http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm

Never used the ones Burke sells but those look like light duty car/truck chains...More of an around town chain or light duty off road. One concern would be their way of "tensioning" the chains. They look an awful lot like the car tire chains and light duty truck chains that Tire Chain sells (http://tirechain.com/CarChains.htm http://tirechain.com/16INCHTRUCKCHAINS.HTM)

I never had a chance to use my Tire Chain chains but I bought them after a couple times up hunting with relatives outside of Ski Sunlight and seeing the abuse the chains would take. And, I saw why having properly tensioned chains was a must.

Maybe with some additional tensioners/adjusters (http://tirechain.com/TireChainParts.htm) they wouldn't be too bad...

Convert
10-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I used tirechains.com also and would do so again:thumb:

Romer
10-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I bought a set of Bill Burkes chains last year and never used them. Now I have bigger tires and need chains again.

Convert
10-27-2006, 08:23 PM
I bought a set of Bill Burkes chains last year and never used them. Now I have bigger tires and need chains again.

Sounds like tire envy :lmao: :beer:

Hulk
11-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Which tensioners should I get?
http://tirechain.com/tensioners.htm

...for these chains?

treerootCO
11-14-2006, 02:27 AM
you won't need them if you fit the chains to the tire. I bought some and never used them.

corsair23
11-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Which tensioners should I get?
http://tirechain.com/tensioners.htm

...for these chains?

I went with the "rubber adjusters". On top of that I went to home depot and bought some heavy duty rubber "bungee" type straps after I got the chains on and determined what length(s) I needed. You can run chains without them but I've seen first hand the carnage chains make if they break or come off. Cheap piece of mind IMO to have the tensioners on especially if you plan to go offroad with them.

subzali
11-14-2006, 11:19 AM
You can just use those rubber straps like Corsair said, it's what most truckers use. Some chains come with cam-like adjusters that you just spin and crank those suckers tight. No tensioners required :)

corsair23
11-14-2006, 12:11 PM
I've got both the cam locks and tensioners...I know, totally overkill but then you should see the road leading to the hunt camp :eek:

Sadly, since I bought them I've never had a chance to use them...Aging like fine wine in my garage they are :(

Hulk
11-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Finally ordered my chains today. The snow was a good reminder. :)

Bonus: the same chains fit 33x12.50-15 and 285/75-16 tires, so I can run the chains on either of my Cruisers.

corsair23
11-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Bonus: the same chains fit 33x12.50-15 and 285/75-16 tires, so I can run the chains on either of my Cruisers.

Good deal...I was going to check on whether the chain size was compatible myself but no need now thanks to you! :)

Crash
11-29-2006, 12:37 PM
I've had good luck so far with Tirechain.com and really like these: http://tirechain.com/VBAR.htm I don't like the spring adjusters that I got from them though and will be picking us a set of the rubber adjusters for a try. The springs were too easily bent and flew off. The chains do fit the 33x10.50 perfectly with the built-in cams tightening things up great - the adjusters are just insurance against carnage when a link breaks. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN USING BUNGEES according to my eye surgeon friend! Rubber bungees are a main source of income for him.
:thumb:

I used tirechains.com also and would do so again:thumb:

Hulk
11-29-2006, 01:42 PM
I ordered the square alloy cross chains (http://tirechain.com/square_alloy_cross_chain.htm). I also purchased the rubber chain adjusters for insurance.

Steve, thanks for posting up about your experience with the spring adjusters -- I'm now glad that I ordered the rubber ones.

corsair23
11-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Matt,

Once you get them on you may want to consider getting additional heavy duty straps as well for added insurance. Tirechains.com sells them (here (http://tirechain.com/TireChainParts.htm)). They call them "Extra Heavy Duty Tarp Straps". I just went to Home Depot or the like once I got my chains on and measured the size I needed. I think I bought like 24 of 'em. Planned to use 4-5 per tire and have a few for spares. Not so much for tensioning of the chains as the "cams" should do that but more to sort of hold things together should a link break :eek:

The rubber adjusters are 'ok' but a little flimsy IMO. I bought them as well and after seeing them I went out and bought the heavy duty straps...

SteveH
11-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Peerless Tire carries V-bar type chains for ~60/set. You may also want to carry some mild steel stove wire to tie down the 3-4 extra loops of chain after the chains are adjusted - this may or may not work better than using an adjuster.

Some people buy chains that fit their worn-out tires pretty well and then buy new tires and discover they won't fit. You don't want chains that just barely fit a mostly worn tire.

subzali
11-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Unless you downsize your new set of tires...:D

Rezarf
11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Am I missing something, when is the Snow and Pizza run?

Checked the staging area and got nothing.

THanks

Drew

lfd270ben
11-29-2006, 11:12 PM
can I make chains for my 38's? do I need them once its locked front and rear?

corsair23
11-30-2006, 12:22 AM
can I make chains for my 38's? do I need them once its locked front and rear?

You can make them or buy them from tirechain.com or elsewhere...

Tirechain.com sells that size (click here (http://tirechain.com/16INCHTRUCKCHAINS.HTM)) for sure, just scroll down on the page to see what they carry.

As for needing them...depends on your use...sometimes even being locked just means you have all 4 tires spinning while going no where :). The hunt camp road I drive on can be very bad...So bad that often the only way you can make it in is to wait for the trail to freeze, chain up, and then go in early in the AM before dawn. Of course, I've never been with anyone on the trail that has been locked before or had 38s :D

Hulk
11-30-2006, 12:27 AM
Am I missing something, when is the Snow and Pizza run?
Checked the staging area and got nothing.

January. Scott Yoder (JadeRunner) usually leads and selects a weekend. We run the Yankee Hill area up by Central City. Then we usually hit Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs for pizza and cold refreshing beverages.

FYI, there is also usually a New Year's Day run, which is not the official club Snow and Pizza Run, but has become something of a tradition as well.

The Snow and Pizza Run is usually one of our largest runs of the year. The whole point is blazing through snow and ice. There's a playground where we all work hard to blast through enormous snow banks. This is not a hard core run, unless you break a birfield and have to change it in the snow.
:D

You'll want to make sure you have places to hook a strap, both front and rear. Buy some "gators" to keep your legs dry in a couple of feet of snow. Bring warm clothes, plenty of water and lunch.

Chains are not necessary; most of the club won't have them.

treerootCO
11-30-2006, 12:40 AM
I am locked front and rear, 37s, and have chains for all four. I won't go back, chains are awesome!!

Uncle Ben still kicks my ass in the snow though:bawl:

Crash
11-30-2006, 08:59 AM
January. Scott Yoder (JadeRunner) usually leads and selects a weekend. We run the Yankee Hill area up by Central City. Then we usually hit Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs for pizza and cold refreshing beverages.

FYI, there is also usually a New Year's Day run, which is not the official club Snow and Pizza Run, but has become something of a tradition as well.
You'll want to make sure you have places to hook a strap, both front and rear. Buy some "gators" to keep your legs dry in a couple of feet of snow. Bring warm clothes, plenty of water and lunch.

Chains are not necessary; most of the club won't have them.

The Snow and Pizza Run is usually one of our largest runs of the year. The whole point is blazing through snow and ice. There's a playground where we all work hard to blast through enormous snow banks. This is not a hard core run, unless you break a birfield and have to change it in the snow.
:D

HAHAHAHAHAHA :rant: But should you break a birf, just be sure to have Cheeseman along with you!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:
:cheers:

Rezarf
11-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Seriously you had me at Pizza run. I have never done any snow wheeling, sounds like another SWEET Rising Sun event :risingsun

See you there

Drew

Uncle Ben
11-30-2006, 12:42 PM
January. <snip> FYI, there is also usually a New Year's Day run, which is not the official club Snow and Pizza Run, but has become something of a tradition as well.

<snip>

It used to be! That was the original concept...first run/celebration of the year. Not quite sure when it became a differant run....probably when it got dubbed as "Scott's" run"! Doesn't really matter as it has always been a biggie and a kick in the butt! :cheers: :thumb:

subzali
11-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Already getting jazzed up for it! Got my chains fixed, tried and true! Drew, if you check out the trip reports section, my buddy and I ran up there when it snowed about a month and a half ago and took some pics/video :D

Nevermind I see you already posted up to that trip report...truly a kick in the pants!

I'm never venturing out into the snow without chains again, at least not in the foreseeable future with Brahma.

Hulk
11-30-2006, 11:35 PM
....probably when it got dubbed as "Scott's" run"!

You could hardly do better than Scott! Here's to Yoder!
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Romer
12-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Just ordered the ones Mike talked about for my 35's. Looks like tire chain has copies of the Rud chains called Diamond. Talked to them and they said thats not a great chain for offroad and I would be happier with the square link.

farnhamstj
12-24-2006, 08:15 AM
We're told at Vail Resorts to always run chains on the front tires (assuming you have a pair not four) both up and down the Mountan. I believe steering is the reason for it. Especially going downhill. Chains on the back if you only have rear wheel drive.

subzali
12-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Chains going down *can* be dangerous, if your rear end loses traction and swings around on you suddenly. That's why I skipped having two and just went to four. :D

farnhamstj
01-02-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm starting to think, I sure could use some chains after looking at the 1/1 Yankee run. Little late now I guess, unless someones bringing "extra" that would fit 295.75.16.
Went to DIA yesterday. You guys got pounded with snow. I don;t recall seeing this little amount of snow in Vail in the last 8 years.

nuclearlemon
01-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Chains going down *can* be dangerous, if your rear end loses traction and swings around on you suddenly. That's why I skipped having two and just went to four. :D

chains on rear can be just as dangerous if your front end swings around. at least going down hill and having your rear swing means you can see where you're going when you back down.

leiniesred
01-02-2007, 07:12 PM
I'll try to bring 2 pair of 31x10.50 R 15 sized chains this weekend. I can't use them on my 36x13.50s

subzali
01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
yep, I agree. That's why I avoided the whole issue and went with all fours :D

chains on rear can be just as dangerous if your front end swings around. at least going down hill and having your rear swing means you can see where you're going when you back down.

treerootCO
01-02-2007, 11:44 PM
not having chains can be scary if you are the rig behind Subzali on the spooky night run two years ago. :eek: I never knew a 40 could go so fast backwards!

subzali
01-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Not to mention the ice I created for the rest of the group because of my spinning tires! :eek: For the record that was my dad driving :hill:

SteveH
01-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Tire chain questions - I put a pair of v-bar chains (from Peerless tyre) on the back of my FJZ80 (no diff locks) and towed my 3/4 ton Chevy about 20' on lumpy ice-covered ground. The rear tires of the 80 were spinning slowly, as the Chevy is very heavy - snowplow and all that. Doing this mangled my tire chains - 3 side links came loose and flailed the flare on the 80, and the cross-chain connectors are all distorted on both chains - bent and peeled back.

I've never had chains deform this way (even when hunting, plowing and abusing them), and am looking into having Peerless replace them (but it wasn't looking good...)

Other than cheapie tire chains, has anyone seen chains just peel apart like this? Other than heating the links with a torch, bending them back, and then welding them, I see no easy fix for this set of chains.

I guess if I had put 4 chains on the 80, it might have lessened the burden on this pair of chains?

Steve

treerootCO
01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
My chains were tempered from the factory. I found that if I left everything alone they were really strong. When I tried to pry open a link to make them fit the tires, the link would always break. The failure of my chain on the last snow run was due to a link I tried to pry open and clamp shut again. It broke at that link. I am going to weld them back up and not worry about it. Do your v-bars have an extra part welded to the crosslink? Mine are square link chains.

SteveH
01-18-2007, 09:11 AM
My chains have an extra 'v bar' welded to the cross link. I realize that this gives the chains extra grabbing power that (presumably) puts the other links to the test. These are Acco-Weed chains (or some US brand) now made in China. If I can't get them replaced, I'll heat and rebend and then weld all affected links, I guess.

corsair23
01-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Steve,

Sounds like these chains? Vbar chains (http://tirechain.com/VBAR.htm)

I almost bought these but went with the square link ones instead.

SteveH
01-18-2007, 02:54 PM
That is the chain. They are remarkably effective, but can really tear up trails and such (if you get down through the snow), and obviously can be hard on themselves! Doing dirt burnouts will quickly dig you in.

Anytime you have four chains and 4WD, the style of the chain becomes somewhat academic. You'll get the vehicle stuck due to snow caught under the truck before traction loss. Having said that, when you need chains, you frequently need everything you have and that last 1%. So, maybe the v-bar does give a margin of performance.

Steve

corsair23
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
When I was looking for a chain for getting to and from a hunt camp above Ski Sunlight I looked into the v-bar chains. I seriously considered those v-bars 'cuz they just look downright 'mean'. In the end I went with the regular square link though. One concern I had was with those was if the chain inverted itself and dug into the tire's sidewall and in general the abuse they would take. The hunt road we drive to the camp is sometimes impassable other than early, early in the morning when everything is frozen :)

In the end, all my chains have done is sit their bag for the last 4+ years :(

SteveH
01-19-2007, 08:15 AM
This is why I was bummed - most folks RARELY use chains, unless they're on a dedicated snow plow truck (one of my uses). To have these chains crap out after this short time is not cool.

The 'v' isn't sharp enough to cut into a tire, or at least a competent truck tire, and they don't ever seem to invert (though it's possible, I suppose).

If Toyota keeps making coil-over suspension trucks (FJ Cruiser and 3rd gen 4Runners), you won't need chains for the front, because they won't fit. Grrrr.