PDA

View Full Version : gonna miss cm again

nuclearlemon
03-01-2008, 06:27 AM
today i did a lot of thinking. if the 55 doesn't pass emissions in the morning, i'm stuck with either sending it to a shop, or finding an oem carb to go on it. i really don't think i can get a 4barrel on a tractor motor to run well enough for emissions. on top of that, i really need to get the 80 registered and plated and from what i'm hearing, that will require a small fortune, plus the power steering pump and h.p. hose need to be replaced, another small fortune. the small fortune that cm would cost might be enough to cover most of that stuff. so monday, i'm going to email slickrock and cancel my reservation:(.

Shark Bait
03-01-2008, 06:43 AM
today i did a lot of thinking. if the 55 doesn't pass emissions in the morning, i'm stuck with either sending it to a shop, or finding an oem carb to go on it. i really don't think i can get a 4barrel on a tractor motor to run well enough for emissions. on top of that, i really need to get the 80 registered and plated and from what i'm hearing, that will require a small fortune, plus the power steering pump and h.p. hose need to be replaced, another small fortune. the small fortune that cm would cost might be enough to cover most of that stuff. so monday, i'm going to email slickrock and cancel my reservation:(.

There's gotta be a way, Ige. What's going on with your 40?

You want this carb? http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4240

More information on this carb:

Originally Posted by FJ40Jim
83 2F main castings.

Missing the choke breaker & link.

Added HIC valve from 1/79-7/80 2F carb.

Not non-US, but it is built out of leftover parts... does that count?

rover67
03-01-2008, 07:48 AM
i'd be willing to swing by monday night and try to tune your carb...

i don't get back in untill sunday night though. sounds like it's close, i think with a little adjustment we could make it pass :) if you wanted i couldgo through that FJ60 carb mentioned above and we could slap that on.. i got my old 2f to pass emissions and it had 250000 miles on it. PM me we'll play with it..

Romer
03-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Waiting a few weeks to cvancel won't hurt anything. Lots of options on the 80, from buying a pump and hose off of another 80 (reffug, Oleg, etc) and then rebuilding your pump and hose later if the replacement parts fail. To taking your rig down and rebuilding them now.

Our friend in NM might have a pump and hose he won't be using for a while. I have a rebuilt pump that I put on the shelf for when Sarah's needs hers done.

Lots of options, waiting a few weeks to see what happens won't hurt anything.

Who know, maybe Jeff will pay you to rebuild the axle on his other 80? :D

farnhamstj
03-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Ige, I'll bring you $25 to CM08 to cover a night of camping. I know it's not much but, I'd sure like to drink a beer with you. I can't offer any parts, but maybe it'll help.

Red_Chili
03-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Say it ain't so, Ige. Say it ain't so...

Procrastinate canceling. Procrastination is a very adaptive tool!! Just ask my kids. :D

Trapper50cal
03-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Do you know anyone in Park County or Summit County etc. where you could use the address to register the 55 in a county that doesn't require emissions? Then it will pass for sure. No sniff test, no nuttin!

Chris
03-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Ige, I don't know if this help on the emissions but I told the PO of mine I'd buy it if it passed emissions. He used the Air Care location in Broomfield (303-404-0265) and a mech/inspector named Joe was very helpful he said. Even provided documentation for future needs re; engine swap, testing as different vehicle, etc.

nuclearlemon
03-01-2008, 09:29 PM
it's more than just the emissions though (which is by the way done...don't get me started...hit the pig forum on mud for my ordeal :mad:)

if mike didn't get screwed and it is 600 to title/register the 80, i won't have the money for that. also, i'm not positive, but judging by the performance of the ps pump the last couple times i drove it, it may not be rebuildable. that's anywhere from ?-350.

also, i was expecting some $ for my birthday that i didn't get and i still owe the ex money that he loaned me after my wallet was stolen. financially, it's just not working out. and it's not working out by a small fortune, not by a little bit.

Romer
03-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Your registration will be cheaper as the cost is based on what you paid for the vehicle

Jenny Cruiser
03-01-2008, 10:20 PM
$600:confused: How much did you pay for that thing? :eek:

it's more than just the emissions though (which is by the way done...don't get me started...hit the pig forum on mud for my ordeal :mad:)

if mike didn't get screwed and it is 600 to title/register the 80, i won't have the money for that. also, i'm not positive, but judging by the performance of the ps pump the last couple times i drove it, it may not be rebuildable. that's anywhere from ?-350.

also, i was expecting some $ for my birthday that i didn't get and i still owe the ex money that he loaned me after my wallet was stolen. financially, it's just not working out. and it's not working out by a small fortune, not by a little bit.

corsair23
03-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Who know, maybe Jeff will pay you to rebuild the axle on his other 80? :D

Me?? Ige, you got a business letter head? I hate to admit this but I'm waiting for my front axle to get "bad enough" so the extended warranty will cover the rebuild costs :hill: - Last time the LX was in and the warranty company looked at it they said "It wasn't bad enough yet" :rolleyes: Go figure on that when they expect me to change the oil every 3K/3 months :mad:

Your registration will be cheaper as the cost is based on what you paid for the vehicle

x2...Call the DMV Monday morning and ask them what the cost will be. The bulk will be the taxes which will be based on what you paid IIRC so if you have a signed bill of sale that says you only paid $X then :) - You will probably need a VIN check which the local PD should do for free.

So I'm with others on delaying cancelling...Another week or two won't matter :thumb:

One way or the other you HAVE to get to CM08 :D

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-01-2008, 11:55 PM
doesn't matter what you pay for a vehicle, it's taxable value that decides how much to register it.

you can pay $000.01 for anything and still pay big $$ to register.

Romer
03-02-2008, 12:37 AM
doesn't matter what you pay for a vehicle, it's taxable value that decides how much to register it.

you can pay $000.01 for anything and still pay big $$ to register.

When you register it you pay State taxes if you didn't buy it at a dealer who already collected. This is taken off the bill of sale and not the taxable value, at least it has for every vehicle I bought.

The ownership tax is taken from the taxable value though (I think).

Ige, if you take it to the DMV when you register, they will come out and do the vin check there. Thats how it worked for my Texas truck and South Dakota RV. They have to VIN check anything registered out of state.

You could drop by and get a temp tag, not sure how much that costs, you may want to call them. If it's only a few bucks, you could wait till early April and the tag will be good through mid May :D

AxleIke
03-02-2008, 03:01 AM
Yeah, Bill of Sale is what they went by for me. Mine was 16 bucks to register. Took about 20 minutes. Obviously not an 80, but not THAT much older. I'd figure 50 or under.

bigbluefj
03-02-2008, 04:17 AM
well if i'm driving that far to moab to go wheeling and to hang out with you guy's, and gal's i'll pay a few day's for ige to come to moab as a thank you for her saving my ass a few year's ago when i blew the rear pinion on the 40.. it's the least i can do what's moab without ige...

kevin

bigbluefj
03-02-2008, 04:18 AM
chance's are i'll need her help again this year with my luck!!!!

theboomboom
03-02-2008, 08:53 AM
as far as getting temp tags, all you should need is a title, bill of sale and proof of insurance. you will get 10 days free, or 60 days if you pay the tax upfront.

74fj40
03-02-2008, 11:25 AM
DMV no longer does vin checks - either get it done at the emissions place ($20ish) or get the forms from the dmv and call the local cop shop - they'll send a community service patrol dude out to perform the vin inspection at your home for free.
And, yes - on an older vehicle, it's the sales tax that kills ya, and this is calculated directly from the bill of sale - so the lower the better (hint...hint...)When you register it you pay State taxes if you didn't buy it at a dealer who already collected. This is taken off the bill of sale and not the taxable value, at least it has for every vehicle I bought.

The ownership tax is taken from the taxable value though (I think).

Ige, if you take it to the DMV when you register, they will come out and do the vin check there. Thats how it worked for my Texas truck and South Dakota RV. They have to VIN check anything registered out of state.

You could drop by and get a temp tag, not sure how much that costs, you may want to call them. If it's only a few bucks, you could wait till early April and the tag will be good through mid May :D

Inukshuk
03-02-2008, 10:22 PM
it is 600 to title/register the 80

WHINER! :blah:

BTW, my 1993 80 now costs $30.00 to register each year. :o

First year, 2001, I paid one time sales tax of $656.00 - and back then 80's still cost real money - no way you paid as much as I did. Plates that first time were $126.00. I was in Araphoe County at the time :thumb: - less sales tax than Denver.

You will be at CM. Hitch a ride out with me if you need to. Dakota is also welcome. (Zan and Jayna just love chew toys...)

bullsac
03-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Ige I have a parts 80 here at the shop. Let me know what you need and I will donate it to the cause..

bull

SteveH
03-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Ige - I can mail you my used '95 80 PS pump at no charge for pump or shipping. It showed a very slight loss in boost, but did not leak. This pump could be used as-is for a long while, or would make an excellent rebuild candidate. Too bad my genuine Toyota reman. pump on the truck isn't any better, 3 years later.

Steve
schelm -at- pcisys.net

nuclearlemon
03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
steve, i'll definitely take that pump off your hands. thank you very much. thanks also to bull, but steve is closer. i'm pretty sure mine's dead. no power steering at all now (does have plenty of fluid). when i drove it a couple of weeks ago, i noticed that in a long sweeping turn, it was hard most of the turn, but every so often, there were easy spots. whines horribly also. i plan on investigating when i rip it out. if it is rebuildable, i'll have it on the shelf for whomever else needs one.

i checked checker/napa/autozone/carquest yesterday and napa and carquest both offer the hp hoses for about $50...hopefully cdan won't break out the pincushions;).

not getting birthday money and not getting a single person to even look at the ford are the two things that are really killing me. right now.

i was hoping to get power steering on the pig and at least one side step since getting my short fat a@@ inside is a bit difficult. i'll try to weld something ugly up for a step. if magoo comes out, he'll help pay for my camp spot and the ex has offered to help out for my bday present also.

i'm going to get the pig plated this week and i'll ask how much the taxes will be on the 80...if they say $600, i'm going to see if i can get that adjusted...my paperwork says i only paid $2500 and i'll drive it down there so they can see what a p.o.s. it is.

still crossing my fingers.

subzali
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
You can always do the chain thing for a step so it "collapses" up when you get close to a rock - I know there were some clean looking designs out there, obviously you could make something up yourself.

FJBen
03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
i'm going to get the pig plated this week and i'll ask how much the taxes will be on the 80...if they say $600, i'm going to see if i can get that adjusted...my paperwork says i only paid $2500 and i'll drive it down there so they can see what a p.o.s. it is.

still crossing my fingers.

Taxes at 6% should be $150, plates can't be more than $65, I'm guessing you'll be in the $250 tops range?

RockRunner
03-03-2008, 02:42 PM
A perfect example of RS commeradery at work.:bowdown::bowdown:

This club rocks:thumb:

Ige send me the info on the Ford and some pictures, I will list it on our work bulletin board. I will also forward it to Sharon so she can do the same.

Hold off canceling your trip for as long as you can, maybe send Misty a note saying you may not be able to make it and ask her when the latest it is you can cancel for a full refund.

Plates are another story, from what I remember it is the taxable value. I could be wrong and I hope so but when we paid for the plates on the 4Runner they did not use the BOS but the taxable value, sorry to say.:(

Hang in there, looks like your friends are all coming out of the wood work and helping you one way or another.:thumb:

timmbuck2
03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
...Ige send me the info on the Ford and some pictures, I will list it on our work bulletin board. ...

x2, I can put it on the bulletin boards and in our newsletter...

T

subzali
03-03-2008, 02:48 PM
x3

nuclearlemon
03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Taxes at 6% should be $150, plates can't be more than $65, I'm guessing you'll be in the $250 tops range?

6 percent i wish. commerce city has the highest tax. even more than denver. we're well over 8%. mike got dinged on the value of the truck, not what he paid for it and he was stuck for $600. i asked when i was down there today and either it changes by county, or mike got screwed cause the lady told me it would be about $160 for the registration, not including plates. so, i guess i need to get emissions and a vin verification on that, but i'm a bit soured on aircare colorado at the moment. :mad:

nuclearlemon
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
here's the info on the ford. thanks a bunch to those that can help get the word out.

1995 4x4 ford f250xlt. extended cab, longbed. 7.3 direct injection powerstroke. new oem master cylinder. new pads up front. aluminum rims with new procomp 265/75r16 e rated tires. @159k miles. auto trans. grey cloth interior. 40/20/40 front seat. rear sliding window. power windows, power locks, tilt column, cruise, p/s, p/b, am/fm/cd stereo with remote. new odyssey brake controller. receiver hitch and plate for a gooseneck. new pendaliner (bedliner). aluminum bed rails and matching crossbed toolbox. just changed oil so it's good for a bit (rotella). does have a couple scratches and the clear coat on the hood is doing the usual peeling. also tailgate is not pretty. $8500. 303.416.0362

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=186171200634209595/l=336290225/g=7000565/cobrandOid=1000131/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

RockRunner
03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
It is up and running on my site, send it Sharon too.

Maddmatt
03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
FYI, Colorado State Patrol will do VIN checks for free, but you have to make an appointment. I've used the Broomfield location, they do it twice per month. Used to be any time by drop in, but they go too busy.

FJBen
03-03-2008, 05:41 PM
6 percent i wish. commerce city has the highest tax. even more than denver. we're well over 8%. mike got dinged on the value of the truck, not what he paid for it and he was stuck for $600. i asked when i was down there today and either it changes by county, or mike got screwed cause the lady told me it would be about $160 for the registration, not including plates. so, i guess i need to get emissions and a vin verification on that, but i'm a bit soured on aircare colorado at the moment. :mad:

holy nazi's!

A few good things about Weld...no emissions and they DMV can't question what you paid for the vehicle. If it says $1.50 on the the title or bill of sale...you get sales taxed on that.

I traded the last vehicle so no sales tax on that either.

Mike got SCREWED on taxes...that sucks!

bh4rnnr
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Ige, I was going to donate some $$ to Dave Conners(wasnt going to be much something like 25), but I can hold off on that and send it your way if you need it. Looks like he is in good hands and i'd hate to see a fellow member miss out on Cruise Moab. Let me know:beer:

Beater
03-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I am registering my w8 tomorrow. I am anticipating 850.00 :eek:

Hulk
03-04-2008, 12:27 AM
here's the info on the ford. thanks a bunch to those that can help get the word out.

1995 4x4 ford f250xlt. extended cab, longbed. 7.3 direct injection powerstroke. new oem master cylinder. new pads up front. aluminum rims with new procomp 265/75r16 e rated tires. @159k miles. auto trans. grey cloth interior. 40/20/40 front seat. rear sliding window. power windows, power locks, tilt column, cruise, p/s, p/b, am/fm/cd stereo with remote. new odyssey brake controller. receiver hitch and plate for a gooseneck. new pendaliner (bedliner). aluminum bed rails and matching crossbed toolbox. just changed oil so it's good for a bit (rotella). does have a couple scratches and the clear coat on the hood is doing the usual peeling. also tailgate is not pretty. $8500. 303.416.0362

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=186171200634209595/l=336290225/g=7000565/cobrandOid=1000131/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

Did you post it to Craigslist? Also, I have had luck with cars.com.

RockRunner
03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Did you post it to Craigslist? Also, I have had luck with cars.com.

I have seen it out there.

SteveH
03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Ige - contact me offline with your address re: the PS pump.

Also, park that Ford somewhere with a big sign in the window. I have sold 2 Ford pickups and my ancient 4Runner by putting signs in them, flyers under the wipers, and parking them prominently. Find a high-traffic area near your house where you can walk home and put it there several days in a row. I had 50 people take flyers and one guy drove by my last Ford and it perfectly matched his landscaping fleet trucks and he paid me almost asking price (and more than I paid for the truck a year earlier) - got lucky there, but you could, too.

nuclearlemon
03-04-2008, 11:32 AM
it's been on craigslist three times. windows are marked with for sale and my phone number. parked on the street now, and i drive it when it's nice, but it's not a cold friendly diesel, so i can't really park it somewhere unless the weather's nice. even when i drive it to work, i have to plug it in or drive it around at noon, other wise, it won't start when i go to leave.

Beater
03-04-2008, 01:11 PM
it's been on craigslist three times. windows are marked with for sale and my phone number. parked on the street now, and i drive it when it's nice, but it's not a cold friendly diesel, so i can't really park it somewhere unless the weather's nice. even when i drive it to work, i have to plug it in or drive it around at noon, other wise, it won't start when i go to leave.

on the older strokers that is usually the glow plug relay... merry xmas

Corbet
03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I can help out with the VIN inspection as a licensed dealer. :)