PDA

View Full Version : why moab?

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-01-2008, 11:57 PM
what i'd like to know (if anyone cares) is how come you,RS,doesn't hold an event in colorado?(besides the ralley)
why not keep the $$ here in colorado?
why drive to utah and spend $$ there?

keep the $$ in colorado!

Vitesse_6
03-02-2008, 02:18 AM
I dont blame you at all for wanting to keep it in CO. There has been chat over the years in WC about why we dont host a UT event...But you guys(andGals) do such a great job, It would be hard to beat.
I would love to get out to one of the CO meets.
Have fun

AxleIke
03-02-2008, 02:59 AM
I can't think of a single place in Colorado that has that many trails in that close a proximity, and the resources to handle 300 trucks + the people that go with them.

If it was done in CO, there would be 50+ trucks per trail. Not very fun.

corsair23
03-02-2008, 03:12 AM
I can't think of a single place in Colorado that has that many trails in that close a proximity, and the resources to handle 300 trucks + the people that go with them.

x2

I can only think of the Ouray area. Ouray is a blast but it is more in the category of "scenic" wheeling...The area just doesn't have the diversity of trails that you find in Moab :(

What do you have in mind Jim as far as an area that would work?

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-02-2008, 09:02 AM
pick up a Wells book and take a look.:thumb:
west of the springs is a good place to start.

moab is a great venue(sp) don't get me wrong and the event is pretty well done.

i just think some of the stuff is overated as far as the trails go.

Uncle Ben
03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
what i'd like to know (if anyone cares) is how come you,RS,doesn't hold an event in colorado?(besides the ralley)

keep the $$ in colorado!

Because YOU haven't stepped up and taken lead! We could easily do something like All4Fun but the folks that take lead are pretty taxed! Lets see....CM, Rally, Adopt-A-Trails, Raffle Truck, Ghost Town Run..... Just those alone take a lot of planning and time and not to be a jerk but the names who take on these projects seem to be the same names on all these projects! Lot's of folks jump in to help but to find folks to take lead is not very easy! :blah:

Here's your .01 change... :mad:

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-02-2008, 03:09 PM
ME!?
i'm not even a member but by sitting in a couple meetings, it looks/seems like there are a bunch of members in the club. :thumb:

you can have your .01 back ;)

bskey
03-02-2008, 03:52 PM
The beauty is that the trails (hopefully) are always there so we can go to Moab, or wherever in Colorado, whenever we want. It's the big events that require planning that are in question. I don't doubt Jim's question is more about keeping the $$ in Colorado's economy than doing the event. However Moab is a location capable of hosting large volume wheeling, where as Co. has not yet made a point of making our off-roading capacity large enough to handle that scale of event. It took years of anticipated development to make Moab what it is.

Shark Bait
03-02-2008, 04:56 PM
There is some history with the club and Moab, of which some of you may not be aware. Rising Sun has been going to Moab as a club for over 25 years. One of the early members, Ron "Chief" Scheumann went there with his wife (and he club) on their honeymoon way back when in the early 80's. There has been an annual club run to Moab that first weekend in May since before I joined in 1993. In 1996, I believe, TLCA suggested we hold an event there and since we'd been going anyway we decided to give it a try. So Cruise Moab was born and we've been doing that since 1998. Why Moab? It's a great venue.

There is certainly room for another TLCA event here in Colorado. Heck, we do the RS Swap Meet in August. I understand what you're saying, Jim, but if you come to the table with an objection please bring a solution with you. Make it happen! :D

Hulk
03-02-2008, 07:07 PM
ME!?
i'm not even a member but by sitting in a couple meetings, it looks/seems like there are a bunch of members in the club. :thumb:

You're not a member? Weird. I would have sworn that you were. :confused: Certainly we've seen you on trail runs, at events, and fairly often here on the RS forums. Many of our members have patronized your business. What else do we need to do to convince you to join our little club? :D

keep the $$ in colorado!

Several responses come to mind:

Because Moab rocks.

What is this "keep the $$ in colorado!" crap all about, anyway? It's not like we're outsourcing our event to China or France. We're all part of the U.S.A. here, brother. Our currency is all U.S. currency, not Colorado currency.
If we held it in Colorado, I'm sure pretty soon we'd hear questions about why it's not in the 10-mile center between Boulder and Louisville, with special weighting given to the proximity of Slee Off-Road and Stevinson Toyota.

Why do you care? You're not a member, apparently by choice. It's an easy job to sit on the sidelines and criticize others. It's harder to join the team and do heavy lifting.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
You're not a member? Weird. I would have sworn that you were. :confused: Certainly we've seen you on trail runs, at events, and fairly often here on the RS forums. Many of our members have patronized your business. What else do we need to do to convince you to join our little club? :D

Q:Many of our members have patronized your business.
i wouldn't say many. just a few is more like it.

Several responses come to mind:

Because Moab rocks.

yes it does, to a point.

What is this "keep the $$ in colorado!" crap all about, anyway? It's not like we're outsourcing our event to China or France. We're all part of the U.S.A. here, brother. Our currency is all U.S. currency, not Colorado currency.

ok

If we held it in Colorado, I'm sure pretty soon we'd here questions about why it's not in the 10-mile center between Boulder and Louisville, with special weighting given to the proximity of Slee Off-Road and Stevinson Toyota.

probably

Why do you care? You're not a member, apparently by choice. It's an easy job to sit on the sidelines and criticize others. It's harder to join the team and do heavy lifting.

i have my reasons not to join clubs and it has nothing to do with working with them.i am a member of a colorado springs club, BY CHOICE!
what am i criticizing? i was just asking a question.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke

x2

I can only think of the Ouray area. Ouray is a blast but it is more in the category of "scenic" wheeling...The area just doesn't have the diversity of trails that you find in Moab

What do you have in mind Jim as far as an area that would work?

Camp Hale can handle three times that amount.
with a pretty good location.

Shark Bait
03-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey Jim. It sounded a little like a criticism. We are (I am) not picking on you. If you want, start organizing an event here in Colorado. You are well liked enough, I'm sure you'll get some support. :D

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey Jim. It sounded a little like a criticism. We are (I am) not picking on you. If you want, start organizing an event here in Colorado. You are well liked enough, I'm sure you'll get some support. :D

it wasn't meant to be and i'm sorry if i came across that way.

i think i was mostly wondering why moab was chosen.
you answered part of my question chris with the history lesson....thank you.

so, if an event was planned that was not a TLCA event, all makes and models welcome.
would you go?

Shark Bait
03-02-2008, 08:47 PM
so, if an event was planned that was not a TLCA event, all makes and models welcome. would you go?

If I can fit it in to my schedule, yes! I'm certainly loyal to TLCA and Rising Sun, and my friends of course. :p: If you put on an event I'll do my best to attend. Heck, I might even help out. :D

AxleIke
03-02-2008, 09:08 PM
I have a lot of Wells Books.

I don't think either west of the springs or camp hale offers the diversity of difficulty, nor the ease of access that moab has.

On a more personal matter, I can reach all of those trail on a day trip from my home. I wheel, and have wheeled a great number of them every summer. Moab is a destination. Too far for a weekend trip, so its like a once or twice a year thing. It makes more sense to have the CO stuff as club trail runs, and not spend money and resources making it a bigger production than it needs to be.

Not attacking anyone, just my viewpoint.

nakman
03-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I have a lot of Wells Books.

I don't think either west of the springs or camp hale offers the diversity of difficulty, nor the ease of access that moab has.

On a more personal matter, I can reach all of those trail on a day trip from my home. I wheel, and have wheeled a great number of them every summer. Moab is a destination. Too far for a weekend trip, so its like a once or twice a year thing. It makes more sense to have the CO stuff as club trail runs, and not spend money and resources making it a bigger production than it needs to be.

Not attacking anyone, just my viewpoint.

I hadn't thought of that, but I too kind of like that Moab is 6 hours away. It makes it feel more special, like you really went somewhere. If it (the event) were closer to home I think there would be too many distractions.. people would always be having to go back to work, or leaving late from work, or running home to feed or pickup or drop off the wife or dog or kid, it wouldn't be like you're even attending or hosting an event, more like you just had a really busy week. One of the coolest parts about Cruise Moab is the camp time, since almost no one gets to go home to sleep they're compelled to run around and socialize. You'd lose that with a local event.

Rock Dog
03-02-2008, 09:53 PM
moab is simply 4 wheel mecca with mild to wild options, where all types of wheelers can congregate at night and enjoys each others company.
As Nakman points out it seems more like a vacation....

It also has alot to do for those who do not wheel, like Arches canyon lands, river rafting ect which allows it to be more of a family event, where the spouses and family that do not like to wheel have things to do...

Hulk
03-02-2008, 11:31 PM
i have my reasons not to join clubs and it has nothing to do with working with them.i am a member of a colorado springs club, BY CHOICE!

And you're not a member here, by your choice, as well. Certainly, you would be welcome in the club. What have we done to earn your disregard? :dunno:

It's pretty well documented (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4287) that we don't care whether anyone is an official member or not. But you went out of your way to tout your membership with the Colorado Springs Club over us. It's not like you can say, "Hey, I'm not really a joiner." You are a joiner, but not here. Yet you like us well enough to participate and even offer up an idea for a new event. What gives you mixed feelings about us?

As far as sending you business, I'll mention two things:

I've recommended you to folks who don't own Cruisers, so it may not always be obvious where business is coming from.
It's a tough business to be in, when you're competing against so many folks who want to DIY. From what I've seen, your the quality of your work is outstanding and probably worth every penny. I have a project I've been meaning to bring you for a couple of months, but my budget is stretched to the breaking point. I can only spend so much money at any given time, and anything that I can do myself, I usually will. As far as planning and hosting another serious world-class event like Cruise Moab here in Colorado, I think it's a great idea -- for somebody else. I'd love to attend, and I'd probably even lend a hand. But our plate is full.

Besides, we wouldn't want to hog all the glory. :D

Beater
03-03-2008, 07:41 AM
It may not be a disregard thing. He lives in castle rock, it might be pretty difficult to make the meetings n such. I can barely make meetings and I am 15 mins away.

I think we need to boost back up the associate membership thing again. I am vehicle-less, but like what the club does for the environment in regards to wheeling.

HI-JACK off..

j

Red_Chili
03-03-2008, 07:46 AM
The associate member status is an official status and all are welcome. What would you like to see boosted? Or do you mean, just emphasize it or publicize it more?

Beater
03-03-2008, 08:09 AM
the latter - vendors, hangers on, volunteers, etc..

subzali
03-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Hm...Camp Hale.

Holy Cross
McAlister Gulch (or whatever it's called)
Mosquito Pass
Onion Creek
Ptarmigan Pass
Independence Pass
Some small local trails

We made Camp Hale our base camp a couple summers ago for the Ghost Town Run, and it was definitely fun. Personally, I think Moab offers a better collection of diverse trails plus a lot of other activities available for people to do for an event the size of Cruise Moab or any other TLCA-sanctioned event, from what I've seen. And I think Chris brings out a great point with the history RS has in Moab, for 25+ years.

I first went to Utah/Moab for vacation 5 years ago, and have been back to Utah at least 3 or 4 times a year since, mostly to the Moab area. There's just something about it that keeps bringing you back.

Uncle Ben
03-03-2008, 09:35 AM
This negative thread has, in typical RS fashion, become positive and productive! :thumb::thumb: Colorado events always seem to falter if they as held in the same location every time! This is the main reason All-4-Fun has survived and blossomed! There are several places in Colorado to center your base at and that keeps folks coming back year after year. If we was to do a CO event like this I think it would have to be bi-annual to be successful! I also do not believe we as a club could survive putting on another event of this magnitude without serious help! I also think people would be torn between planning their vacations between CM and a large CO trail event.

Hm...Camp Hale.

Holy Cross
McAlister Gulch (or whatever it's called)
Mosquito Pass
Onion Creek
Ptarmigan Pass
Independence Pass
Some small local trails

We made Camp Hale our base camp a couple summers ago for the Ghost Town Run, and it was definitely fun. Personally, I think Moab offers a better collection of diverse trails plus a lot of other activities available for people to do for an event the size of Cruise Moab or any other TLCA-sanctioned event, from what I've seen. And I think Chris brings out a great point with the history RS has in Moab, for 25+ years.

I first went to Utah/Moab for vacation 5 years ago, and have been back to Utah at least 3 or 4 times a year since, mostly to the Moab area. There's just something about it that keeps bringing you back.

subzali
03-03-2008, 09:48 AM
This negative thread has, in typical RS fashion, become positive and productive! :thumb::thumb: I also think people would be torn between planning their vacations between CM and a large CO trail event.

Yep and yep ;)

I know for me personally, it's like nakman said, Moab is more of a vacation and a getting away from the normal hoo-haw. I can go to Leadville on any given weekend, or even any given afternoon really.

Hulk
03-03-2008, 11:09 AM
It may not be a disregard thing. He lives in castle rock, it might be pretty difficult to make the meetings n such. I can barely make meetings and I am 15 mins away.

I think we need to boost back up the associate membership thing again. I am vehicle-less, but like what the club does for the environment in regards to wheeling.

j

Castle Rock is no closer to Colorado Springs than Golden is it? And you certainly don't need to attend meetings to be a member.

Associate members are welcome always.

nuclearlemon
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
i consider the ghost town run a colorado event. it's an annual event. it's just not a tlca event. same with the runs after the rally. same with the snow and pizza run. we do have lots of colorado events. fwiw, i don't like moab...i just like the event. it's the one time a year i get to see people i talk to over the internet every day.

Uncle Ben
03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Castle Rock is no closer to Colorado Springs than Golden is it? And you certainly don't need to attend meetings to be a member.

Associate membership is encouraged and always welcome!

Fixed it for you!

Jim is not a member of any TLCA club. I believe he's trying to say he prefers not to be associated with a vehicle brand specific club if I read between the lines correctly.

Groucho
03-03-2008, 01:15 PM
This is a very diverse club with 100+ members for 2007. Over the 10 years I have been associated with the club (the first few years being associated through my parents), I have seen (Or heard about) many changes.

The type of wheeling the club has been geared toward has changed. From hard-core (or at least what was considered hard-core 5-10 years ago) to expedition to family/scenic wheeling, back to hard-core and on. The type of Toyota the club has seen as prevalent has changed from FJ40, to FJ60 to Mini's to FJ80 and back to FJ40. The type of group the club has been has changed, from a few folks who primarily did this type of wheeling without family (if they had one) to getting the whole family involved.

Being a member of a club needs to only be done if the club is serving a purpose for the individual member. When it no longer serves a purpose, or the scope of the club has changed so that it doesn't fit the member, it may be time for the member to move on. Our club will always be a constantly-morphing entity. While the focus of 4 wheeling and getting together with people who all have a common interest may always be the root of our culture as a club, the philosophy surrounding how we do those things may always change.

The main point is this:
If it fits a need or want in someones life, it has meaning, and therefore should be used to fullfill that need. If it is void of anything resembling a need or want, it should be avoided. If therein lies a need or a want, but falls short of another need or want that could be there, get in and make some changes.

Those folks on the sidelines will never impact the game for anyones benefit but their own. Those who play the game, even for a minute, will have made an impact that will help the club grow.

0.03-1/2

Red_Chili
03-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Those folks on the sidelines will never impact the game for anyones benefit but their own. Those who play the game, even for a minute, will have made an impact that will help the club grow.

0.03-1/2
That's the secret. Some philosophers have referred to humans as world builders. Don't like the world? Change how you build it. Engage the human enterprise. It's your stewardship. Take the reigns.

Figgered that would make sense to a bunch of 4x4 modifiers... :thumb::lmao:

leiniesred
03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I think some truck related in-camp activities would be cool to add.

Maybe a birfield swap race?

Mini truck driver vs. Landcruiser driver?
IFS CV shaft swap vs. solid axle birfield swap?

Jackstand(s) required.

Hulk
03-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Jim is not a member of any TLCA club. I believe he's trying to say he prefers not to be associated with a vehicle brand specific club if I read between the lines correctly.

Ah, that makes sense. That's certainly an admirable viewpoint.

Personally, I joined my first TLCA club (Windy City) to learn more about my first FJ40 which I had just purchased with a blown engine. Here I am 12 years later. I came for the Toyotas and stayed for the friends.

One of my good friends owns a built Willys wagon. We're already talking about the trails we're running this summer.

FJBen
03-03-2008, 02:25 PM
#1 Moab rocks...just cool :D I've heard the event is great..haven't gone yet :( but kudo's for a cool event.

I joined TLCA but I think my membership is overdue...:rolleyes: whoops...I was in Horsetooth 4 wheeler but haven't put in my dues this year or been to any events...timing this year is just extremely difficult.

I find myself wheeling with my friends in greeley who mainly all drive jeeps :eek: but it's cool because we all just like to have fun.

I really like all the friends I've met on here, mud everywhere and unbelievably appreciate the tech and what your clubs do for the sport! :beer::beer::beer::beer:

signed,
Nonmemberwithaukulele

subzali
03-03-2008, 02:28 PM
When I get sick of you jokers bashin' me on trails I go run with CJ7Matt so I can bash him! :D

j/k I love going out in the woods with all y'all, that's why I chose to be a part of the club. The first Wednesday of every month is the only socializing I ever get! ;)

Uncle Ben
03-03-2008, 02:33 PM
When I get sick of you jokers pulling me around on trails I go run with CJ7Matt so I can pull him! :D

j/k I love going out in the woods with all y'all, that's why I chose to be the whipping boy of the club. The first Wednesday of every month is the only socializing I ever get! ;)

Fixed it for you! ;) :lmao:

Chris
03-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Ah, that makes sense. That's certainly an admirable viewpoint.

Anybody that's seen Jim's sig on Mud knows what club he belongs to. I just read this thread and Jim asked a respectable question. Not everyone can afford a trip to CM along with the fees, associated costs and the time it takes away from work.

I agree that wheeling with Cruiser folks is great fun but wheeling with other makes is too. Looking forward to CM08. :thumb:

isotel
03-03-2008, 05:24 PM
First off MOAB ROCKS! no way any club could host an event in Colorado with the same success, Moab is the Perfect wheeling destination. Colorado has many trails, but they are way too spread out to host an event with 200 rigs..

Colorado Land Cruisers has been discussing the possibility of putting together a TLCA sanctioned event, but at this point it is just Talk!, We Went to Buena Vista Last year and Had a BLAST! We just don't have motivated Club members to get the ball rolling on it. Our idea was to Bring in a small group (50 Rigs) and do some high country Passes near Buena Vista. along with Runs in Carnage Canyon and Chinaman's.

We are Planning the Same Trip This year!(as a regular CLC Run, 7/26-27 in Buena Vista)
See the Website for more info!

Events just don't happen, it requires ALOT of effort from the club and committee members, Rising Sun does a great job and my hats off to you guys! Colorado Land Cruisers has taken alot of work just to get back up and moving again.

bh4rnnr
03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
First off MOAB ROCKS! no way any club could host an event in Colorado with the same success, Moab is the Perfect wheeling destination. Colorado has many trails, but they are way too spread out to host an event with 200 rigs..

Colorado Land Cruisers has been discussing the possibility of putting together a TLCA sanctioned event, but at this point it is just Talk!, We Went to Buena Vista Last year and Had a BLAST! We just don't have motivated Club members to get the ball rolling on it. Our idea was to Bring in a small group (50 Rigs) and do some high country Passes near Buena Vista. along with Runs in Carnage Canyon and Chinaman's.

We are Planning the Same Trip This year!(as a regular CLC Run, 7/26-27 in Buena Vista)

Events just don't happen, it requires ALOT of effort from the club and committee members, Rising Sun does a great job and my hats off to you guys! Colorado Land Cruisers has taken alot of work just to get back up and moving again.

Come hang out with us on the Ghost Town Run (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6011)

nuclearlemon
03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
as long as nathanial and perry continue to do the kick butt job they do on the ghost town run, i don't see why that couldn't become a tlca event. yeah, there's no hardcore wheeling, but it's still a very fun trip.

Uncle Ben
03-03-2008, 07:00 PM

Trev,
Ya gotta know that you have our support! Ya need help ya just gotta ask....we will be there if we can!

subzali
03-03-2008, 10:01 PM
ya I was pretty bummed I missed the Christmas tree cutting :(

UB - you're a funny guy. No really.

:lmao:

AxleIke
03-04-2008, 12:04 AM
I think some truck related in-camp activities would be cool to add.

IFS CV shaft swap vs. solid axle birfield swap?

Jackstand(s) required.

Problem is, it wouldn't be a contest.

First, no jack stand required for IFS guys, you don't have to remove the tire.

Second, with one other person, I've gotten that down to a 15 minute job, and that was cleaned up.

I would be impressed if a birf could be changed that fast. Actually, I'd pay money to see that.

Hulk
03-04-2008, 12:06 AM

We need to represent for this event! Do you guys have any dates in mind? I'm sure we could show up in force with some notice.

RockRunner
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
After reading all the replies to his question I think he has a better understanding of why we do the trip in Moab. As was explained this trip came about because FRIENDS decided to do this every year. I was fortunate enough to be around then and can tell you that CM has grown into a first class event.:thumb:

If you look at events that are held in Colorado only one stands out. The All for Fun Week that the Jeep club puts on. I have been to several of those in the late 80's and had a blast. The biggest problem I had with it was the driving you had to do from the camp site to the trail. Sometimes 1-1.5 hours before you got to the trail. One year stands out the most, 1985, it was held in El Jebel................where the H3ll is El Jebel??? That was the joke that year. Anyway great trails etc but a long drive to them. Other sites had the same issue.

Uncle Ben made a great comment, "if you want to step up then go for it" we are all busy with our lives and the guys and gals who put all this together are the BEST.:bowdown::thumb:

Moab makes a great meeting place for all and offers trails for everyone. The family can come and enjoy themselves in many ways and never get bored. Yes the cost is high and it is a drive for some but then again it be the same for the people who come from Cali or Dakota etc. This is a vacation for myself and the wife if she goes, but then again so was All for Fun. CM is becoming a destination event that has international flavor. If the gas prices stay stable it will continue to grow into a world class event.

To all on the committee this year and previous years I take my hat of to you and thank you all for the work you have put forth. I only hope I will be able to help out in the future :thumb: