PDA

View Full Version : Rav4

Gator
03-03-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm considering a RAV4 vs a Liberty and would like some help. Some background.

I have a stock 99 Wrangler and it is time to get a new vehicle. My Wrangler is my only car as I'm retired and spend several months a year in my RV pulling a vehicle and doing at least some off roading. Who can afford 2 cars? Not I.

I've decided that in my old age I need a little better and quieter daily ride but I still want to do the Alpine Loop.

Anyway - searching the internet I can't find anyone saying anything good about the RAV4 and off roading. On the other hand, "off roading" often means heavy duty stuff in which I'm not interested. The Alpine Loop is about as "challenging" as I'm interested in.

Comments?

leiniesred
03-03-2008, 09:32 AM
The RAV4 has no low range, limited articulation, only the earlier ones had a partially removable top.

The liberty, even the diesel, gets crappy fuel economy, heavier to tow-behind, hard top limited visiblity, not really a good wheeler.

Your TJ on coil springs actually rides pretty well, has great articulation and a low range T-case for good wheelin' capabilities when the road gets worse than you expected. The top comes off for great scenery viewing. It isn't great on fuel, but not much worse than the liberty. AND it is probably already paid for!

Red_Chili
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Agreed, rework the Wrangler suspension for what you want. You'll be happier. And likely wealthier.

corsair23
03-03-2008, 02:07 PM
The liberty, even the diesel, gets crappy fuel economy, heavier to tow-behind, hard top limited visiblity, not really a good wheeler.

Agreed...We had a Liberty and the thing averaged at best 14mpg :eek:

It did ok for offroad driving with the IFS and stock. Hardest trail it ever saw was Engineer Pass and it took a few hit to the stock skid plates.