PDA

View Full Version : 35" tires and rim width

Cheeseman
03-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Gonna change diff gearing to 5.29's from 4.88's on my runner rebuild. I have wanted to go to a 35x12.50 tire for years and now's the time. I will probably go to a 16" rim instead of the 15" currently used.
So with that do you guys use, an 8" or a 10" rim width?

Done all my wheelin' with 33's, time to grow up a little. I have always run the interco SSR radial and will probably stick with that. Never slowed me down so far.
________
New jersey medical marijuana (http://newjersey.dispensaries.org/)

Rzeppa
03-06-2008, 07:28 PM
On my HZJ75, I ran 35x12.5 mudders on 8" rims, worked fine.

Bikeman
03-06-2008, 10:12 PM
The 8" rim might allow for more stuffage into the wheel wells depending on how much lift you have/how much flex the suspension has. The 10" wheel wil cause the tire to stick out more.

leiniesred
03-06-2008, 11:49 PM
super tough call, cheeseman. They both work. I think I ran 8s with 35x12.50xR15s.

They tucked up into the rear fenders. I think the backspacing was 3.75. The axle was IFS rear.

BUT, the 10 inch rims I'm running now with 13.50s work OK too. The tires hit the fenders of course, but I'm sure they would on 8's too. The 10's just put the solid wheel out there a couple inches wider. My rig wheeled better with the 35 12.50s on 10s than it did on 35x12.50s on 8s.

It FEELS more stable with the 13.50 IROK's on 10s with 3 inches of backspacing than it did on 12.50 MTs on 8 inch rims with 3.75 inches of backspacing. I think backspacing is going to make a bigger difference in stability than the rim width.

Red_Chili
03-07-2008, 08:21 AM
I ran 35x12.50/15s (MT/Rs, so it was more like 34") on 8" rims for years and liked them. However, I opted for the 10" rims when I went to beadlocks. I won't go back - widened the track on the same backspacing and improved stability slightly.

You may consider a 1" body lift, that pretty much solved any clearance problems and with the larger Intercos you may need it. Now is the time, and it does a world of good for very little cost.

nakman
03-07-2008, 09:41 AM
I think thinner is better, but I'm just web wheeling here.. as Hulk what width he's running, (6-7"?) which is at the bleeding edge of thin, and possibly borderline sketchy, though he's never had an issue with that afaik. But figure when aired down the tire protects the rim more, which is probably a good thing, that's why I'd err on the skinny side.

Red_Chili
03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
You would think... but that was not my experience. The rims got chewed just as much (beadlocks help there, bolts are cheap. Rings, not so much, but still replaceable). The straighter sidewalls are a bit more stable. Believe it or not, that extra 2" (with the same backspacing, that means extra 4" width per axle) doesn't look all that different from a tire perspective, but is from a stability perspective.

Cheeseman
03-07-2008, 11:25 AM
You know it's funny. Wheelin' all these years and this question becomes a stumbling point. I have a kit for a two inch lift and I was planning to use it someday and now is the time. But I will trim it to 1". I moved the axles forward and back respectively when I put the allpro suspension on. Oleg opened up the rear fender for me also.

So far it seems that a 10" wheel is best from what you folks say. Now to see what the checkbook says.
________
HERBAL VAPORIZERS (http://herbalvaporizers.info)

AxleIke
03-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Hmm.

On a non beadlocked rim, I like the narrower rim to hold beads better. But, I run an extremely narrow tire.

From a looks standpoint, the 8 looks WAY better than a 10, IMO.

Red_Chili
03-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I dunno. My desktop background at home was the Chili at Kane Creek, on 8" rims, and I would have to say it looks MUCH hotter now. As far as beads... mebbe. Dunno. Go with beadlocks, Cheese! Champions! Since you are starting from scratch. Or use Staun internals.

Cheeseman
03-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Well of course the Checkbook solves lots of problems. That is what I told all my Firetruck customers. I thought beadlocks were not street legal.
________
Coach handbags (http://icoachhandbags.com/)

Rock Dog
03-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Beadlocks are not street legal in Utah.... If you can get to Moab they do not enforce it, but from the Border to the Dolores river is open game for a ticket, as well as on the way down to e-hill....

Hulk
03-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I thought there were some DOT approved beadlocks now.

AxleIke
03-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Really?

Good to know.

A buddy got compliments from cops on his OMF's.

Too bad.

rover67
03-07-2008, 11:47 PM
FWIW i am about to get some 8" wheels and 35 1250's for the 60.. but for me i think thats the formula... i can't afford beadlocks so it's wagon wheels for me..

80Series
03-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Have you gotten the tires yet? If not let me know I might be able to some 35's cheaper for you.

Red_Chili
03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Well of course the Checkbook solves lots of problems. That is what I told all my Firetruck customers. I thought beadlocks were not street legal.
Lots of things are not street legal. Technically. Meh. Not a CO issue.

Red_Chili
03-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Beadlocks are not street legal in Utah.... If you can get to Moab they do not enforce it, but from the Border to the Dolores river is open game for a ticket, as well as on the way down to e-hill....
That reminds me, I need to go to Hubcap Annie's. Maybe chrome WILL get you home. :rolleyes: To be honest, I cannot remember even seeing a LEO except in Moab in all my trips there.

Spinners, or rims? What say you? :lmao:

Red_Chili
03-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I thought there were some DOT approved beadlocks now.
Staun internals, certainly, and another outfit makes conventional beadlock$. The DOT cert is quite a joke actually. No real difference. And FWIW, I believe that will not help you with Utah law. IIRC, and don't quote me on this, when I read the Utah statute I believe I saw many other things in it that would nail most of us. They like to selectively enforce the beadlock thing, if the mood strikes them.

No doubt, my towing a camper will be a mood enhancer for them this year.

Uncle Ben
03-11-2008, 11:25 AM
That reminds me, I need to go to Hubcap Annie's. Maybe chrome WILL get you home. :rolleyes: To be honest, I cannot remember even seeing a LEO except in Moab in all my trips there.

Spinners, or rims? What say you? :lmao:

Definitely spinners! :lmao::lmao::lmao::flamingo: http://www.carmar.nl/images/Spinweel_IronCross.jpg

Red_Chili
03-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Too fancy an example. I am thinking something along the line of the guy with the nice Taco who rolled it. He showed up with some stylin' cheap chrome spinners. I think they made it halfway up Moab Rim.

Cheap is to keep.
Kinda like rhinestone shades and cheap sun glasses.

RockRunner
03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Cheese, I am running 15x8 with 2" BS on my truck. I am running 37's and the RR axle is from an IFS with the fronts running 1.5" spacers. I went that way for two reasons, the 2" BS releives some of the rubbing you can get with with 3.75" BS on the frame etc and the 8" rims will tuck in more than say a 9-10.

If I were to buy rims now I would do everything the same except I would get 16" rims instead. You saw my truck up in Moab, I feel it is pretty stable, more than I thought it would be.

Red_Chili
03-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Except for the side dive on Cliffhanger, eh! Except, I understand the feeling when you have the disease:

Chili-itis.

Cheeseman
03-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Yes I've decided on 16x8's for rims and 35x12.50/16 Interco SSR's. I have used the tire for years before and like it very much. No bead locks just yet cuz I'm raiding the checkbook bad enough. Regearing to 5.29's. Called Bobby long and ordered his stuff. Resealing the ARB's. And sand blasting and painting the frame a little. Then I'll remount the body.
________
THE VAPOR GENIE VAPORIZER (http://www.vaporshop.com)

Red_Chili
03-12-2008, 01:39 PM
By all means then throw a Roger Brown 1" BL on there then!

RockRunner
03-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Those are pretty good tires, hurry up and get her done already.

What did you get from Bobby? What we were talking about? I think I am going to place an order soon too I hope.