PDA

View Full Version : Reviving Skelator

bh4rnnr
03-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok, cabin fever is setting in hard. Gets me thinking more and more about the 4runner and future plans. Getting the 4runner going again is not only based on just being able to hit the trails, but also for a planned trip sometime next year, probably either late summer or fall.

I'll start with some thought from the Homegrown Crew. "Keep it Toyota and Keep it simple". Seems to work well for them, and I dont plan on the 4runner seeing that hard of trails...

I'm planning on the build being done in phases. Time and money being the biggest reason for that thought. For the most part, everthing works decent. So i'm starting with mounting a roof top tent to the back. I've decided to go with the Series 3 1200 Eazi-Awn from Equipt1.com. I like the 1400 but dont think i'll need that much room. With that, brings the first(?) step. Re-working the down tubes to mount the tent. This is where the Homegrown Crew comes in. TJ has been kind enough to offer some shop space and a little help to get this part done. Though, it'll be some time as TJ will be spoting Ben in the Raisin in this years western division XRRCA races. Good luck boys!

So from there, i'm looking at a dual battery set up from Cruiser Outfitters. Might as well get that out of the way since my battery is dead. Also going to look into a selectable locker, as i'm not a fan of the e-z locker.

Come fall, i'm going to start with the Engine/tranny/t-case setup. Figure it's time for a new motor. Still planning on keeping the 22re as it has proven to be a good one.

From there, i'll dive into the suspension. Remove the IFS for a SAS unit and re-do the rear. Also throw in a front locker.

For now, i'll stay with 33's to keep CG low. Maybe see how I feel later on about moving up to 35's...

Theres other stuff i'm thinking about also, like a fridge, extra gas tank and maybe even a water tank, etc.. Just will depend on what $$ allows.

I'm excited to get it back out on the trails. And cant thank the Homegrown Crew enough for offering to help out. And as always, i'm always interested you thoughts etc..

:beer::beer::beer:

wesintl
03-06-2008, 10:43 PM
we definitely need to see the 4tuner back in action :thumb:

farnhamstj
03-06-2008, 11:11 PM
sas swap and dual batt's. You hardly have a roof, why get a roof top tent?

leiniesred
03-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Perry: Adding all that comfort/adventure stuff makes me think Skeletor is the wrong platform, especially when you add all that weight! I think you also are looking at about $5000 in upgrades to skeletor without adding the fridge and tent. Skeletor needs a SAS and a selectable front locker, room and gears for 35s and you have a REALLY fun streetable truggy!

FJ80 time Bud. You get a roof to mount your tent, room for a fridge, bigger engine, already solid axle, hold out for one with selectable lockers and that upgrade is solved, way more adventure comfort...DO THE MATH. I think you need a rig like Robbie's. He's been with you on your adventures so you know how his rig works in this role. VERY trail capable, yet streetable rig. Get the red 80 from avalanche, put on the tent, get the fridge, and add minimal lift for your 33s or 35s. DONE!

None-the-less, oh yeah, get that truck out on the trail!

Add some tube to build the family cage. That's cheap and easy. Put the tent on the roof 'cause you want it and you can move it in the future. Get the 'fridge cause you want it and can move it in the future. Don't worry about the engine 'till it blows up. SAS it if you still have all those parts laying around. You'll like your truck a lot more on both the street AND trail. (Trust me, I drove my bucket IFS for 7 years).

MDH33
03-07-2008, 08:53 AM
FJ80 time Bud. You get a roof to mount your tent, room for a fridge, bigger engine, already solid axle, hold out for one with selectable lockers and that upgrade is solved, way more adventure comfort...DO THE MATH. I think you need a rig like Robbie's. He's been with you on your adventures so you know how his rig works in this role. VERY trail capable, yet streetable rig. Get the red 80 from avalanche, put on the tent, get the fridge, and add minimal lift for your 33s or 35s. DONE!

My thought exactly. :thumb:

bh4rnnr
03-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Perry: Adding all that comfort/adventure stuff makes me think Skeletor is the wrong platform, especially when you add all that weight! I think you also are looking at about $5000 in upgrades to skeletor without adding the fridge and tent. Skeletor needs a SAS and a selectable front locker, room and gears for 35s and you have a REALLY fun streetable truggy!

I have to disagree.

Yes, the 80's are nice. But I already own the 4runner. Yes, I might be adding weight, but considering how much was lost after the conversion, I may be back where I was when I started. Biggest weight will be the tent, fridge, tires, and tanks. Keping the truck light is part of my though process.

I think it'll be about equal building either vehicles with$$. I just decided to work with what I have.

Farnham, as for the tent. We are going to be re-working the down tubes, making them flat so I have a good mounting surface for the tent.

:beer:

nakman
03-07-2008, 09:35 AM
I think the extra weight will help you. I thought your truck rode way too stiff with those AAL's for lift, since you have no rear end.. so maybe a bunch of junk back there will soften that up... look at that last pic you posted, see how much flex you have (or don't have?)

You already have 5.29's so 35's should be a no brainer, plus it may actually let you get up to highway speeds again. After your SAS I would think about making more of an enclosure in back to house the fridge and camping gear, right now you have no security for storage, plus all your crap is exposed out in the mud. I'm thinking some kind of expedition trailer setup, melded to your existing rear chassis, kind of like one of those plumber contractor truck beds with all the flip-up storage and drawers, but cooler.

edit: Also can you get a 3rd gen runner or Taco rear axle with the e-locker? not sure how easy those are to come by..

nakman
03-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Say something like the AT Taco Chaser?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4304

Exactly!!! wow. But more along the budget lines of what Terry posted up in the adventure trailer thread. :hill:

Red_Chili
03-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Perry, the Skelator will serve nicely for your purposes. True, you don't have a roof, but a RTT mounted on the cage will serve several purposes. Not my flavor, but it definitely fits your preferences. You really do not need the cost and weight of an 80. Stay minimalist, it suits you. These old pharts will be recommending golf carts next.

When your 33s wear out, don't buy another set. Go 35s. Lower your spare to lower the CG. No worries.

For the dual batt setup, you don't need a high falutin' kit. 1/0 Welding cable (ask Dave Rios from GASES in Littleton for the Bill Morgan deal), a $12-20 solenoid & three way switch to control it (IGN, OFF, +12: amounts to Charge, Isolate, Jump), some crimp fittings and melt-liner shrink tube, two Yellowtop batts, some Unistrut (cheap!), and threaded rod. Done. A rewound alternator or GM/Delco unit would be worth it.

Red_Chili
03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I researched isolators, and the most popular brand sports 1960s internals. And is less than reliable (noting your current requirements, Dave). When put to the test it WILL fail, and it does have an internal voltage drop. The heat sink is a dead giveaway, the only reason a component needs to dissipate heat is its internal resistance. If they get mucho hot, they are not efficient, and that energy is lost - and electronics do NOT like heat. You can do the math.

Mobi-Arc makes a great isolator that needs no heat sink and is extremely small - it has next to no internal resistance (nor voltage drop). But even Scott at Mobi-Arc uses a solenoid in his Land Cruiser. The fact is, it is handy to have a convenient disconnect, or three-mode switch, which ain't gonna happen with isolators.

12V sealed high current solenoids are available fairly cheaply (outside of the automotive/4x4 world, that is), and I use one rated for 200A continuous duty. Warn sells a winch solenoid rated for 70A continuous, that might be a tad light :lmao:. But they will happily help relieve that bulge in your rear pants pocket.

In this case, Luddite is technologically superior (IMHO).

Red_Chili
03-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Another thing to think about (I guess, because I have been thinking about it myself) is a decent and reliable means of fusible link for the rear mounted batteries. I armored my batt cables with irrigation pipe, but when I was working on the bare frame I did see some places where rubbing would have eventually come to a bad end :eek:.

Red_Chili
03-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Oh...

Boy, you ARE a goober.

FWIW, if you really do want to go solid state, the Mobi-Arc isolater has less than .003 V drop. And yeah, I did ask if that was a typo. It is not.

You really think that 1/0 or 2/0 will have anything close to a meaningful voltage drop on charge current?

Red_Chili
03-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Oh, yeah, 0.003V drop. Maybe if they use Ge tunneling diodes, but I'm not aware of them having this kind of power rating. You could use tons of regular diodes and if the current is low enough through each of them, the forward drop would be reasonably low, but you're still talking half a volt. I don't buy it, nothing is free in the real world and something like that would be very expensive.
It is passive, and it is actual. MOSFET tech, but then some. I happen to have one if you want to look at it. They sell the snot out of them for Canadian and US emergency communications trucks, power companies, etc.

http://www.perfectswitch.com/ (www.mobi-arc.com now resolves to Perfectswitch, so guess where their money is coming from...)
ON-Resistance
50 to 100 millionths of an Ohm. This is equivalent to 2.5 to 4 inches of 4AWG welding cable.

So there. Nanner nanner. And your mother wears army boots.

BTW, I will try to paint your sliders this weekend. [thread drift...]

60wag
03-07-2008, 02:09 PM
I'd add some rear fenders and maybe some front flares. Yea, it wouldn't look as cool but at least you'd be able to see out the windows when running in some wet conditions. Notice the lack of mud on the 80s :)

AxleIke
03-07-2008, 02:49 PM
My.02

Redo the rear end to keep the tent even with the roof when collapsed. This will be huge on the highway.

Cap the top of your bed, and make side rails to hold your gear. I'd enclose them to get them out of the weather, and out of the eyesight of theives. Cut out the existing back plate and make a tail gate with either drawers, or just tubs, for your wheeling gear. Make the tail gate lockable.

This will give you full access in a hurry to both your gear and your tools, and give you a trick set up. Very little fab too.

As for the SAS, hunt ebay, craigslist, and forums for HP 80 locked diffs for the front, and wrecked 3rd gen 4runners/TRD taco's for the 8" rear.

You need at least 3" for the steering to work. Not sure how low you were trying to go. If it were me, I would also get longs. Do it once.

bh4rnnr
03-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Perry, the Skelator will serve nicely for your purposes. True, you don't have a roof, but a RTT mounted on the cage will serve several purposes. Not my flavor, but it definitely fits your preferences. You really do not need the cost and weight of an 80. Stay minimalist, it suits you. These old pharts will be recommending golf carts next.

When your 33s wear out, don't buy another set. Go 35s. Lower your spare to lower the CG. No worries.

For the dual batt setup, you don't need a high falutin' kit. 1/0 Welding cable (ask Dave Rios from GASES in Littleton for the Bill Morgan deal), a $12-20 solenoid & three way switch to control it (IGN, OFF, +12: amounts to Charge, Isolate, Jump), some crimp fittings and melt-liner shrink tube, two Yellowtop batts, some Unistrut (cheap!), and threaded rod. Done. A rewound alternator or GM/Delco unit would be worth it.

Kinda my thoughts with the build there Bill. The truck is used to get me out there. To get me away from normal day life. I dont need all the gadgets when I get out there, just a basic setup thats reliable.

I understand what your saying about doing the kit yourself. But I guess my thought is I just want to get it done. I'd rather not waste more time than needed to get out there. Plus I dont mind throwing a little money towards the 4runner to make sure all is good, as this is planned to gelp get some other projects of the ground.

:beer::beer:

bh4rnnr
03-08-2008, 04:46 PM
My.02

Redo the rear end to keep the tent even with the roof when collapsed. This will be huge on the highway.

Cap the top of your bed, and make side rails to hold your gear. I'd enclose them to get them out of the weather, and out of the eyesight of theives. Cut out the existing back plate and make a tail gate with either drawers, or just tubs, for your wheeling gear. Make the tail gate lockable.

This will give you full access in a hurry to both your gear and your tools, and give you a trick set up. Very little fab too.

As for the SAS, hunt ebay, craigslist, and forums for HP 80 locked diffs for the front, and wrecked 3rd gen 4runners/TRD taco's for the 8" rear.

You need at least 3" for the steering to work. Not sure how low you were trying to go. If it were me, I would also get longs. Do it once.

Thats part of my thought for mounting the tent. Keep the down tubes low to keep tent low. Was thinking if we could get the tent so it's mounted half below the roof line and half above, i'd still have room to get into the bed.

I'm still thinking about the bed. Paul May and I got talking a few weekends ago about mounting ideas for the fridge. He brought up being able to lock the fridge in place when mounted in the bed. One idea that came up was to put the lock of the fridge against the back of the bed so nodby can get to it. Other than that, I have not thought much on the bed storage set up. Maybe other than the pelican cases.

I do have a front axle waiting at a friends house for when the time comes. I've decided if I can find Toyota e-lockers great, if not ARB's will do as they have been proven. I have not decided on the lift, other than using Alcans. I was planning on Longs, and maybe chromo's in front.

Inukshuk
03-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Idea: Keep this and all e-mail threads, take lots of pictures, keep all receipts and keep a daily log = "My inexpensive Expedition Build-up".

Inukshuk
03-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I'd add some rear fenders and maybe some front flares. Yea, it wouldn't look as cool but at least you'd be able to see out the windows when running in some wet conditions. Notice the lack of mud on the 80s :)

Because that's Daniel's really cool :cool: rig and he's such a smooth :bowdown: driver that the mud doesn't dare mess with him! :thumb:

powderpig
03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
After making the frame for the tent, the spare could go up and in the middle of the back so your departure angle is still good. The spare could be mounted on a swingout off the top of the tube mount and the bottom of the frame. Mounted at the back would give more weight at the rear axle as well to help more on the flexion. If lockable could also provide some measure of security to the rear of the bed. Nice to see you are not giving up on the Runner.

bh4rnnr
03-10-2008, 09:43 PM
After making the frame for the tent, the spare could go up and in the middle of the back so your departure angle is still good. The spare could be mounted on a swingout off the top of the tube mount and the bottom of the frame. Mounted at the back would give more weight at the rear axle as well to help more on the flexion. If lockable could also provide some measure of security to the rear of the bed. Nice to see you are not giving up on the Runner.

That was one of my original thoughts with the spare. Mount it undernieth the tent on the tubes out of the way. But then I thought more of usage, and the fact that it might be a pain to get to in a time of need. TJ thought of putting the spare in the bed, and have a lockable cover over it. Another great idea, the down side though is I loose my storage. The more I think about it, mounting the spare in the back is the best way to go. I may loose most of my rear visability, but I think it would be better in the long run.

Dan, i'm planning on documenting all of the build of the 4runner. Maybe getting a artical out of it, if not a good ref for when building a 1st gen.

Red_Chili
03-11-2008, 08:02 AM
You could put the spare beneath the RTT, situated such that you could still see under or over it?

Putting the spare high gives me the shudders. Even mine is too high (though it does protect the top in case of a rollover... :D Rolls right on over.), but it is necessitated by needing departure angle (DAMHIK). When I see J**ps with the spare on the roof, it gives me the willies. That is a LOT of weight to put up there.

treerootCO
03-11-2008, 09:20 AM
From driving your vehicle, riding in your vehicle, and watching your vehicle...the #1 priority is the suspension. Aside from saving your kidneys, you would be much happier with a suspension that would allow your wheels to articulate. I'm not saying to swap out the IFS, just work with what you have to allow the suspension to cycle. You know your shocks are limiting the rear droop, so fix it...etc.

bh4rnnr
03-11-2008, 08:11 PM
From driving your vehicle, riding in your vehicle, and watching your vehicle...the #1 priority is the suspension. Aside from saving your kidneys, you would be much happier with a suspension that would allow your wheels to articulate. I'm not saying to swap out the IFS, just work with what you have to allow the suspension to cycle. You know your shocks are limiting the rear droop, so fix it...etc.

Yeah, yeah, I need a new suspension set up. I know it, and am looking into it. Might have to just drop it off at ORS when the money is in to get a simple but well working system put in. I wheeled with IFS for a long time. It's done great, but it's not me.

And rub it in about the flex on the 40, and the fact that the 40 is out on the trail:(:bowdown::cheers:.....

Bill: That was one of my thoughts, but I think in the end, the spare being on the back will be the best place for it.

wesintl
03-11-2008, 10:33 PM
I know it's a little easier to come up with a couple hundred for some additions vs couple thousand or more for a new rig so don't take this to hard.

I think you should start over with a 3rd gen and rear locker. You're and overlander. I dunno why you would spend all the $$ on SAS when IFS is fine. You need more storage and lockable. A RTT would go right on, fridge in the back, plenty of rear storage. Rides well, has power to get you to the trail or utah in a reasonable amount of time. You could still do 75% of all the trails and passes with mild lift that isn't that much on a runner.

Think about a couple years from now. Would building the current runner suit you with another person and a 2+ week trip to baja or utah or wherever? With all the $$ you'd be freshening up skelator with you could have a nice expo 3rd runner IMO.

Magoo
03-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I know it's a little easier to come up with a couple hundred for some additions vs couple thousand or more for a new rig so don't take this to hard.

I think you should start over with a 3rd gen and rear locker. You're and overlander. I dunno why you would spend all the $$ on SAS when IFS is fine. You need more storage and lockable. A RTT would go right on, fridge in the back, plenty of rear storage. Rides well, has power to get you to the trail or utah in a reasonable amount of time. You could still do 75% of all the trails and passes with mild lift that isn't that much on a runner.

Think about a couple years from now. Would building the current runner suit you with another person and a 2+ week trip to baja or utah or wherever? With all the $$ you'd be freshening up skelator with you could have a nice expo 3rd runner IMO.

i agree with this 100%
im setting up a rig right now for expedition/hunting/wheeling.
its a sas'ed 88 p/u on 35's.short bed.and i wish it was bigger cause i dont have nearly the room i want/need.im gonna try like hell to make it work or abort mission.
i completely understand about keeping the runner because its what you have, but,i also understand toyota's and tube.i think you will be seriously dissapointed when all said and done.
you will be knee deep in a money pit that isnt what you wanted.
i say sell the runner for what you can get,buy a solid axle p/u,throw on a topper and then do all the stuff you want.you will be way happier in the end.
i love tubed out toys always have, but when i had one GOD I HATED IT!i couldnt put anything in it.i had to sell it immediately.
dont take any of this wrong i love your rig, but i couldnt own it because i like doing the same things you speak of and its just not the right platform to start with.
but thats just me,you may carry less stuff than i do.i always have lots of crap with me anywhere i go.
good luck perry.

Red_Chili
03-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I dunno.

I think a custom built tube rear, designed with storage and expedition travel in mind rather than just rock buggy stuff, can be a very viable platform. Go your own way, in other words. If you are like me, and I know I am, you will fill any available space in a 4Runner or 80 to 120% capacity. Get more room, it will still be 120%. The fact is, if it suits you you can go backpacking for a month with only what you carry on your back.

You may not smell like roses, but it can be done pleasurably.

Doing a SAS yourself will save boatloads. It is a very straightforward process. Don't buy a kit, and don't pay someone else to do it. Put those thousands toward the RTT, or storage compartments (like a combo of towtruck boxes and Caribou System weatherproof cases? Why not?). By the time you build out a newer 4Runner, or an old solid axle truck (getting to be a major restoration project by 2008, IMHO), you will be deeeeeep in debt.

No reason Skelator cannot do what you want. No reason at all. You will simply be building what YOU want and what YOU need, rather than following convention.

Once upon a time, doing a SAS was revolutionary in its unconventionality. Think about it.

60wag
03-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm with Wes and Magoo. Your 4Runner is cool and would be a great builder for a rock buggy but there are better vehicles out there for expedition use. Maybe I've been a wagon guy for too long but having a sizable weatherproof space solves way more problems than it creates.

Magoo
03-12-2008, 02:13 PM
How about the Campa EVA Tacoma as an example? This was in Trails this month, went along on the Kokopelli Trail Team run it looked like. I can see a lot of what Perry is thinking in this.

http://www.campausa.com/

But I will say that building out a tube back end and making it more 'expo' does not change the fact that starting with a 120" wheelbase truck with an XtraCab and tubing the bed leaves you with much more elbow room inside. I love having the cab space, particularly now that Imelda has A/C. I just could see feeling cramped in Perry's truck for more than a couple of days. Even with our relative space, after 10 days or 2 weeks Kirsten and I start to get a little stir crazy always being inside a relatively small space.

I don't think starting with something you know is such a bad thing. But ultimately while I would personally like Perry to build out his 4Runner, I do definitely see the logic in honestly assessing the truck for what it is and is not. If he thinks he can modify Skelator into what he wants, why not?

that set-up is boobies

bh4rnnr
03-12-2008, 06:17 PM
I dunno.

I think a custom built tube rear, designed with storage and expedition travel in mind rather than just rock buggy stuff, can be a very viable platform. Go your own way, in other words. If you are like me, and I know I am, you will fill any available space in a 4Runner or 80 to 120% capacity. Get more room, it will still be 120%. The fact is, if it suits you you can go backpacking for a month with only what you carry on your back.

You may not smell like roses, but it can be done pleasurably.

Doing a SAS yourself will save boatloads. It is a very straightforward process. Don't buy a kit, and don't pay someone else to do it. Put those thousands toward the RTT, or storage compartments (like a combo of towtruck boxes and Caribou System weatherproof cases? Why not?). By the time you build out a newer 4Runner, or an old solid axle truck (getting to be a major restoration project by 2008, IMHO), you will be deeeeeep in debt.

Once upon a time, doing a SAS was revolutionary in its unconventionality. Think about it.

I agree with both thoughts, but after a long time thinking about it, i've decided staying with the 4runner is the best way to go for me.

If I sold the 4runner, i'd first have to deal with selling it. Then use what ever $$ I got to put towards a new rig. Newer 4runners are great, and a well built rig like Darrens (http://www.mycolorado.org/) is a good truck, but it's not me.

I own Skelator. Sure it may not be the best vehicle to start building into a expedition/wheeler rig. But it's a place to start none the less. I could build Skelator into a great wheeling rig with the time and money i'd spend looking into a new rig.

No reason Skelator cannot do what you want. No reason at all. You will simply be building what YOU want and what YOU need, rather than following convention.

Thats a good statment there Bill, and I agree you a 100%:cheers:

bh4rnnr
03-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't know that anyone disagrees with you, man. I think what everyone is saying is just to think about things before you sink a ton of money into it and make it even harder to make a move to a different platform. Trust me, I understand when people tell you that you are silly for sticking to your plan. See my thread about a year ago about rebuilding a 22R-E. What, not doing the 3.4L swap, am I nuts? A year later, I'm still not sure that wouldn't have been the smarter money (and likely cheaper after I added up the cost when I was done). But, still, don't discount the experience in the club, I mean look at what UB, treeroot, Ige are moving to. Who'd have guessed?

I'm sure they dont and are just voicing there opinions. And i've thought a lot about what everybody is saying. From selling the 4runner and starting with a new platform, or doing this and that. Where i'm trying to go with the 4runner now is what I came to conclusions about with all them thoughts.

Every vehicle will have a down side, or somebody saying to do it different. Same goes for modifications. But in the end, like Bill was saying, it's what you want out of it. I love my 4runner, i've realised that now after spending to much time away from it. I'm now trying to find a way to us the 4runner to get out and do what I enjoy. It may take a little more time and $$ than starting over, or it may not. But this is what i'm choosing to do with the 4runner.

It's great to here about the experience of other fine folks from the club. Thats one reason why I started this thread.

wesintl
03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
That's what it's all about.... You know best, We got your back whatever you do.

I'd love to hear what people would do to my rig :eek::bawl::D

Red_Chili
03-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Spending other people's money is one of my favorite things.

I should be a consultant. It's what they do. :lmao:

Magoo
03-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Go for it perry.
you'll make it work, and it will be YOURS!
and that's what matters,thats why this sport/life is so cool.
you said you LOVE the 4runner.well i love magoo so i know where you are coming from.that love you speak will allow you to put op with the little inconvieniences it i will have.you will adjust.just like i did.
cant wait to see progress

bh4rnnr
06-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Well, the check will be mailed this week to Paul for the RTT. One step closer to getting her on the road:cool::):cheers:

Then it's getting the $$ for TJ and the Homegrown Crew and the work they will be doing:D

bh4rnnr
07-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh boy! My 1200 series 3 Tent just showed up today:cool:

Thanks Paul:beer:

It begins!:cheers:

farnhamstj
07-03-2008, 10:29 PM
A RTT is cool and all, but do you have insurance yet?

bh4rnnr
07-07-2008, 07:03 PM
A RTT is cool and all, but do you have insurance yet?

I'm not to worried about insurance, just a mater of calling my agent and telling him to start it up again(talked about this before ending the insurance).

Things should start coming together this month.

MDH33
07-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Perry, when are you going to "unstorage" the beast? You need to get it running and mods done before the Outlaw run! :guapo:

Let me know if you need a hand. I'm in neighborhood now afterall. :thumb:

bh4rnnr
07-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Perry, when are you going to "unstorage" the beast? You need to get it running and mods done before the Outlaw run! :guapo:

Let me know if you need a hand. I'm in neighborhood now afterall. :thumb:

Martin,

It's lookin to be the end of this month:cool:. I'll give you a shout as the date gets closer.

bh4rnnr
07-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Well, Skelator is home:cool:

After ten months of sitting(at the cabin), I installed a new battery, turned the key and drove home:D

Gotta love Toyota:cheers:

Rock Dog
07-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Cool Perry, have you decided which mod will be first???

Hulk
07-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Good deal! Now rent your place for the DNC and spend the money on your truck. :)

bh4rnnr
07-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Cool Perry, have you decided which mod will be first???

The Roof Top Tent that is sitting in the garage at the Frame shop(it taunts me every day I go in there).

I guess you are not going to let me get past this one are you Matt:hill::cheers:

Hulk
07-27-2008, 11:31 PM
I guess you are not going to let me get past this one are you Matt:hill::cheers:

You'd be wise to listen to me. Easy money only shows up every once in a while. Take the money and put it toward your expedition or building your rig.

Homegrown
07-28-2008, 08:57 AM
right on you got it home. hit me up next week and maybe we can get it in the shop. will be heading to cortez this week for the last rock race for team homegrown racing.

later tj

bh4rnnr
07-28-2008, 06:11 PM
right on you got it home. hit me up next week and maybe we can get it in the shop. will be heading to cortez this week for the last rock race for team homegrown racing.

later tj

Awesome, I will contact you next week. Good luck on the Rock Race!

Matt, I guess we will have to agree to disagree:cheers:

bh4rnnr
07-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Some pics of the weekend festives:cheers:

1) Working on the rig
2) It Lives!
3) One happy camper!
4) Showing Scott some of the property(we even ran into the mayor of Cripple Creek that day:D )

Rezarf
07-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Glad to see it Perry!

:thumb:

Inukshuk
07-28-2008, 11:56 PM
You'd be wise to listen to me. Easy money only shows up every once in a while. Take the money and put it toward your expedition or building your rig.

What Matt wrote times a GAZILLION! I'm understanding of your position but still advocating the rental. I should look to see if I can rent my place here in Sloan's Lake! Or, you can stay here with me and I'll split that take with you on your place and write up a short term lease!

bh4rnnr
08-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Mike cant have all the fun:D

Dropped the runner off at the HomeGrrown shop tonight. Dont know if that was a good or bad choice, knowing that there having a party as we speak:eek: Looking forward to what TJ and the boys come up with for Skelator:cool:

Cant thank the boys enough:cheers:

wesintl
08-08-2008, 10:05 PM
werd. I can't wait to see it SAS and tubed out. We need pics TJ! :perry:

bh4rnnr
08-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Some pics of the mock-up

:cool::beer::beer:

MDH33
08-16-2008, 02:53 PM
It would be cool to have them extend the flat "rack" portion that the tent will attach to over your roof line slightly for some extra storage, or light mounts, etc.

Uncle Ben
08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
It would be cool to have them extend the flat "rack" portion that the tent will attach to over your roof line slightly for some extra storage, or light mounts, etc.

....or branch diverters/protectors! :thumb:

MDH33
08-16-2008, 03:25 PM
....or branch diverters/protectors! :thumb:

Exactly. One thing I don't like about the RTT on my 60 is worrying if I'm going to shred the cover on branches.

farnhamstj
08-16-2008, 05:14 PM
What about 6-8" lower. Or maybe just low enough to allow visability out the back window.

bh4rnnr
08-16-2008, 06:37 PM
The thought originaly was to keep it a bit lower, but once we got it up there this position looked like it will work the best, as the spare will be under the tent behind the driver seat.

Thinking either a wind deflectore or some lights in front of the tent to protect it.

farnhamstj
08-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Is there space it mount the spare under the bed kind of factory style to save space? or carry a second spare? What about putting it flat in the bed and building a cover for the bed thats even with the fenders. I just think the lower center of gravity the better also the wind won't blow you around as much. That looks like a lot of space under the bed that doesn't apear too useable. but I may not be sharing you vision. If you are keeping it that tall, I agree that continueing the "platform" over the bed. It would give you somewhere to stand when you mess with the tent. The LC we rented in AU was dented all over the roof just behind the windshield from people standing on it. Things like getting the cover tucked in properly and messing with the fly. Shoot why not exo the winshield.

farnhamstj
08-16-2008, 09:30 PM
sort of like this

farnhamstj
08-16-2008, 09:41 PM
I like it lower, sorry for the bad chop job, I'm no treeroot.

Homegrown
08-18-2008, 09:17 PM
perry and i decided to leave all of the tube but two. so i cut those out and started the mock up, which perry posted pics of earlier. then it was time to start laying out some of the tubes.

the tent will sit on the front tube that was there originally. and then i added the rear hallo. and now the rear of the tent will set on that tube. then i put 4 tabs in to grab the side of the tent. all the weight of the tent is know setting on the tubing and is being held down tight with the tabs. i still will add two more tubes to finish the x on the side. and attach the tire mount to of them.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d639b3127ccec4b1546252d400000040O08BZtmTNm0ag9vPhg/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d639b3127ccec4b0e652f3c100000040O08BZtmTNm0ag9vPhg/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d639b3127ccec4b03cb7f34900000040O08BZtmTNm0ag9vPhg/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/
we decided to run the tire behind the drivers seat area. this will make it easier getting the tire out and leaves lots of room for a fridge/cooler along with other gear. i got ahold of a slee tire mount kit to mount the tire.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d639b3127ccec4b14f5e934d00000040O08BZtmTNm0ag9vPhg/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d639b3127ccec4b1040c529200000040O08BZtmTNm0ag9vPhg/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

later tj

MDH33
08-18-2008, 09:33 PM
:weld: :beer: :perry:

:cool:

Rezarf
08-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Just like McDonalds... I'm Loving it!

Drew

bh4rnnr
08-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Looking good TJ!:cool::bowdown::bowdown::beer::beer:

farnhamstj
08-19-2008, 10:00 PM
looks nice. real nice. still think a platform over the cab is a good idea, or at least something to stand on if it's not full platform.

Homegrown
08-20-2008, 08:27 AM
looks nice. real nice. still think a platform over the cab is a good idea, or at least something to stand on if it's not full platform.

we were talking about something like that in the future. the plan right know is to get the tent fully mounted and the tire attached to the truck so Perry can go out and get lost in comfort. thanks for the kind words guys.

later tj

treerootCO
08-20-2008, 09:43 AM
please tell me you are also working on your rear suspension...

bh4rnnr
08-20-2008, 05:08 PM
please tell me you are also working on your rear suspension...

That's going to be worked on as a whole with the front suspension. Will be the next big project i'm saving up for. Well ok that and the fridge.

bh4rnnr
09-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Picked up the runner last night:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::beer::beer:

Sorry for the cell phone pics, forgot my camera.

Now on to the next mod:)

MDH33
09-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Awesome! what's next? :thumb:

bh4rnnr
09-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Awesome! what's next? :thumb:

National Lunal Dual battery setup and fridge(weekender). Hopefully by my x-mas desert trip:)

Then it's on to the rear suspension. As much as i'd like to do it all at once, the rear needs some work, and i'd like to have it ready for CM09.

wesintl
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
National Lunal Dual battery setup and fridge(weekender). Hopefully by my x-mas desert trip:)

Then it's on to the rear suspension. As much as i'd like to do it all at once, the rear needs some work, and i'd like to have it ready for CM09.

Pics are pimp perry. We need a couple of it closed up...

what about the ham radio?

nakman
09-11-2008, 01:35 PM

Wow, ok I'm jealous now... but with the National Luna fridge you almost don't need dual batts, right? At least take out your add-a-leaf so you don't beat the heck out of that fancy new fridge back there..

and yeah, what about the ham radio... :D

bh4rnnr
09-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Pics are pimp perry. We need a couple of it closed up...

what about the ham radio?

I'll get some this weekend:beer:

MDH33
09-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Wow, Outlaws Run is less than two weeks away! :eek: :guapo: :)

I need to get my rig ready too! I still have that pesky CB problem I need to track down and I want to re-install my hardtop so I can use the RTT on the 40. :thumb:

Inukshuk
09-11-2008, 11:13 PM
you so fancy!

bh4rnnr
09-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Wow, ok I'm jealous now... but with the National Luna fridge you almost don't need dual batts, right? At least take out your add-a-leaf so you don't beat the heck out of that fancy new fridge back there..

and yeah, what about the ham radio... :D

From talking with Paul during our feb desert trip it sounds like a dual bat set up is good when your running a fridge, winch, lights etc. I figure the more power the better:)

As for the ham, it all depends on how much I can get done before Cruise Moab, and how many books I can sell:p:

nakman
09-12-2008, 09:38 AM
I was talking to Paul about those on the Ouray trip as well, I didn't realize how low their power draw was, also he said they monitor your battery and will stop cooling when your battery gets down to like 11.9 volts? So it's really bonehead proof- you can't kill your battery by running the fridge too much, it just shuts itself down.

He also gave me a tip that I haven't tried, and that's when you're wheeling during the day turn your fridge up a little bit- don't freeze your milk or anything but get the thing nice and cold. Then when you stop for the evening, turn the fridge back down to normal fridge temp (like "1" on the Engel). The extra cooling you did while the truck was running was essentially free, and the fridge will actually get to take a little break during the evening when it's hottest out. I'm going to try this at CM next year, since I noticed how often the fridge would be cycling in the afternoons (though opening the door every 10 minutes may have something to do with that) :rolleyes: :beer: :beer:

Daniel the rack's up for another Outlaw's run if you are..

Red_Chili
09-12-2008, 10:16 AM
I figure the more power the better:)

Holds true for your alternator. 60A just won't cut it.

bh4rnnr
03-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Just doing a little bump

While the Runner gets a new clutch and rear suspension, i'm starting to get ready for the next set of mods. After the much needed tires, will be looking into the front suspension.

Gonna stick with the tried and true SAS, Longed, Chromo'd and locked setup. Oh yeah, and update that tired rear locker.