PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Trailers Now More Unaffordable

Bikeman
03-06-2008, 09:35 PM
The base price jumped from about 4 grand to $5500. I will for sure be unable to ever get one now:(.

I guess I need to start paying more attention to the home-built ones and start the idea list.

art hog
03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Here is the start of my trailer build
Im going to mount it on the back part of the 55 frame from my body swap I can still keep the stock 55 gas tank. That combined with the tank on my 55 now will give me over 70 gal. @ 25mpg thats alot of driving I might put a bathroom in the 55:D. Im going to take about 12" out of the middle and make it the same width as the 55. RTT, a drawer system in the middle with a fridge and Caribou 4X4 cargo control system for the large pelican cases. maybe inclose it too. The left side is the kitchen the right for parts and stuff. sliders all around and a swing out tire carier off the back. I like the idea of a door to the center that converts to a table. this is a expedition trailer not for major offroad. Its a start.

AxleIke
03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Check out Drew's thread on Mud. You'll be impressed.

powderpig
03-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Depends on the timing as well. Used trailers come up for sale at different times. The AT is a great design and does take some time to build as will any trailer you chose to buy. As Drew how much time he has into his. $100 just does not go as far these days, neither does a $1000. Point is good stuff costs money, will typically last a long time(because they are built well), cheap stuff lasts well, unknown amout of time. I think that is why most of us paid more for Toyota vechicles.
This may be the price of steel has gone up, and parts in general, maybe he want to get a living wage for his work.
Your in bikes, look how crazy the bike market is, 5-6k abike or more. A decent bike made in the USA is well over $2000. But hey since Bush has devalued the dollar and price of fuel is high, everything else will follow, now that we want Bio Fuels, price of food is going up as well.
Personally if I could afford one I would, and may in the future. It is one well designed trailer and the owners are always looking to improve there product.

Bikeman
03-07-2008, 07:28 AM
I do have resources to help out. One of my employees can weld well, he just put a Hi-9/Currie axle in his heep. I would be making it out of 2" square tubing with an emphasis on building it on the light side. All I want is off-roadability, some battery, fridge, and fuel storage, and to get the RTT off the 80.

DaveInDenver
03-07-2008, 07:33 AM
They can and should charge what they feel is fair for the product. But how about this, their new base price is now close to exactly what I paid for my truck AND 'Nest. I don't think AT is lacking for business is the thing, so it seems some people have more than enough money to buy a nearly $10,000 recreational trailer. But that is crazy money, isn't it? Heck, we keep our thermostat at 59F most of the day and at night and still a $700 truck fridge is beyond us, much less an AT. :-/

sleeoffroad
03-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I can totally see why that happened. The price is steel is going crazy. I am sure they just could not absorb the cost anymore.

I have built a couple of homebrew trailes. granted they were not camping trailers, but everytime I did it, I got stuck on a the sheetmetal part. The frame and axle part is easy, however to do the boxes nice, you need a sheetmetal break to do it right. Otherwise you end up with a heavy trailer due to all the frame and panels that you end up with. Just a fyi.

Rezarf
03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah, you can do it cheaper, if you don't pay yourself for 100's of hours of labor. :D

But I enjoy building things as much if not more than using them... go figure.

Here is my trailer as she sits today.

corsair23
03-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Here is my trailer as she sits today.

:eek: - Drew, that thing is looking SPECTACULAR :thumb:

Don't forget, my 40 is red, not blue :D