Spare (Old) distributor cap and wires
Spare (old) brake lines
Spare Fuses

Special tools for on the trail;
54MM hub socket
Rear axle SST

RockRunner
03-10-2008, 10:27 AM
My parts are for a mini but may fit others?

Short and long axles with birfs
Rear drive shaft
Front axle seals
Power steering hose(s)?
Belts
Other miscellaneous parts.

60wag
03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I've got an extra 80 birf - do ya think they'll let me carry that on an airplane? :)

DaveInDenver
03-10-2008, 12:26 PM
My parts are for a mini but may fit others?

Short and long axles with birfs
Rear drive shaft
Front axle seals
Power steering hose(s)?
Belts
Other miscellaneous parts.
We do need to make sure not to end up with tons of redundant parts that are bulky, heavy and don't have a huge chance of breaking. Not sure what those might be (maybe only 1 water pump, 1 oil pump, set of front and rear wheel bearings, etc amongst all of us). But I'm bringing at least one and probably two extra CV axles for my IFS. The drive shaft issue, see I have an XtraCab with the two-piece rear and it's a mile long. So do I find or build an extra drive shaft or just collect all the u-joints and carrier bearing and hobble something together? Just dunno right now.

RockRunner
03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I say piece it together or find out what end is the most likely to break and bring that side only.

powderpig
03-10-2008, 08:58 PM
You guys may also want to talk about what recovery devices you all may have and are going to carry. I know many have Ham radios. What about one sat phone for the trip, split between you all in case of unhappy moment( I will be behind you guys with a sat phone in the FJ crew, but that may be a bit too far. But I will have a HT with me and on with spare batteries). First aid kits and what levels every one is at. At least(if not two) person/s(at a min) should be responsiable for med history (of every one in the group) and drugs needed and where located(diabeties, bee sting kit,etc). Just more stuff to talk about.
Any way more useless thoughts from the peanut gallery I call home.
It might be important for you all to know where UB's depends are when he has one of those moments!!!

Uncle Ben
03-10-2008, 10:57 PM
You guys may also want to talk about what recovery devices you all may have and are going to carry. I know many have Ham radios. What about one sat phone for the trip, split between you all in case of unhappy moment( I will be behind you guys with a sat phone in the FJ crew, but that may be a bit too far. But I will have a HT with me and on with spare batteries). First aid kits and what levels every one is at. At least(if not two) person/s(at a min) should be responsiable for med history (of every one in the group) and drugs needed and where located(diabeties, bee sting kit,etc). Just more stuff to talk about.
Any way more useless thoughts from the peanut gallery I call home.
It might be important for you all to know where UB's depends are when he has one of those moments!!!

Ouch... :brick:

RockRunner
03-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Good points Robbie!!

Maybe a good thing to start an outline of things needed to discuss and bring, then we can meet up and cover all those points one at a time. People can prepare information ahead of the meeting as to what they can and can't do and what they have.

Sounds just like our Powell trips...................BTW we did have somebody allergic to shrimp there, started to swell up if not for one of our guys who brought a first aid kit with an Epinephrine shot it could have been much worse.

Convert
03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
PARTS
Long and short front axles with Birfs
coolant hoses
belts
fluids
spill kit/ brake kleen
mics electrical stuff

RECOVERY
12k winch
50' extension
full compliment of straps,d-ring and accessories
high lift with add on recovery kit
bunch of mics stuff

woooody
04-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Just a thought, but the majority of parts that you might need will be available from "the regulars". It might make sense to leave the bulkiest in a tow rig at Loon, and travel into the springs lighter. Most guys are pretty good about giving you their spare, and letting you replace it once you get off the trail. You could even leave it a Robbs resort if you are leaving earlier.

I used to pack a ton of stuff, but have since lightened my load, and left 3rd members, and some other bulky items with tow rig. Makes packing/traveling easier.

Most common major damage is birfs, pinions, and xfer cases. Carry anything special to your rig (Heim joints, HEI, TBi, etc).

nakman
05-10-2008, 11:31 PM
I have way too many tools, like 16mm sockets and 8 philips screwdrivers but no regulars, etc. I'll be going through a lot of that and trying to trim down what I can. Also too much recovery stuff, like a bag full of Hi Lift things I've never even used (the baseplate, those chain things, the Sleedaptor, etc.) I guess we all need to carry a Hi Lift though, that's on the requirement list, too bad I kind of liked how mine was at home in the garage during Moab, I didn't miss it one bit.

For parts I've got some spare belts, also bearings, front axle parts, and fluids about one container of everything. I agree we all don't need to bring spare birfields and driveshafts, and 4 or 5 hub sockets between us ought to be more than plenty. We should also talk about food. I think we should have a planning meeting some point in the near future to nail down exactly what we need and who can carry it, spreading some of the weight across the group. I'm willing to host that if you guys don't mind driving up here.

Shark Bait
05-11-2008, 01:19 AM
We should also talk about food. I think we should have a planning meeting some point in the near future to nail down exactly what we need and who can carry it, spreading some of the weight across the group. I'm willing to host that if you guys don't mind driving up here.

Definitely. Between all of who have fridges we should be able to divvy up some stuff. Breakfast - do we cook eggs or bring milk for cereal?, Lunch - Lunch meat or tuna, bread, mayo, cheese maybe? Dinner - we could probably get creative and pre-make chili or gumbo and freeze enough for everyone. I saw a dutch oven at Costco Saturday. Does anyone have one of those? Should we get one? Steaks or burgers one night, I assume?

I'll probably be up for at least one shower on the trip, maybe more. Who has showers? I figure toilets aren't to much of a problem.

We need to meet. Sooner than later, probably. It will be here before we know it. :eek::D

DaveInDenver
05-11-2008, 07:21 AM
I have (and pretty sure was gonna bring) a 12" dutch oven and a 3-burner Coleman stove that I assumed we use for group cooking. A 12" oven can usually support about 6 to 8 servings, so we could use another one at least. I have a big cast iron griddle that fits the 3-burner stove that works great for group pancakes and stuff. What Imelda lacks in hard core 4WD ability, she makes up for in other places!

sleeoffroad
05-11-2008, 09:22 AM
If you guys a traveling together, then 2 sets of tools should be plenty. Make sure you have a front and rear driveshaft. Trunion bearings, one front hub with wheelbearings, knuckle studs, cone washers and all associated hardware for a front axle. 54 nuts, star washer, lock washer.

Also a set of hub studs, cone washers, nuts and dowel pins. As well as the drill bit the same size and the dowel pins. A spare drive flange with one of the knubs ground down so you can use it for the template to relocate the dowel pins in case you shear them off. Can also use this driveplate for a spare.

Valve steps, tire plug kit. 6 spare wheel studs and 6 lug nuts. Press these into the tire carrier on the bumper and remove them if needed.

All the bolts from a knuckle assembly as well. The top trunion cap, caliper bolts etc. Set of front and rear brake pads. Also try to get a brake line cap (old brake line fitting with a small piece of line that is soldered shut) Helps to cap the brake system if you trash a brake line.

For 80 guys I would also relocate the rear hard line on the axle to above the panhard mount. The current location leaves much to be desired for ending up in a rock garden.

Look at your rear axle on the DS side right behind the panhard bar and you will see what I mean.

Also, unless everyone has replaced their high pressure and low pressure steering hoses I would take a spare of those, as well as one pump.

I would also have a spare set of rod ends as well as a tie rod and drag link.

If you spread this out between the group then the weight should not be such a big issue.

Shark Bait
05-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I have (and pretty sure was gonna bring) a 12" dutch oven and a 3-burner Coleman stove that I assumed we use for group cooking.

I do have a 2-burner Coleman stove that uses the bottles that I could bring.

If you guys a traveling together, then 2 sets of tools should be plenty. Make sure you have a front and rear driveshaft. Trunion bearings, one front hub with wheelbearings, knuckle studs, cone washers and all associated hardware for a front axle. 54 nuts, star washer, lock washer.

Also a set of hub studs, cone washers, nuts and dowel pins. As well as the drill bit the same size and the dowel pins. A spare drive flange with one of the knubs ground down so you can use it for the template to relocate the dowel pins in case you shear them off. Can also use this driveplate for a spare.

Valve steps, tire plug kit. 6 spare wheel studs and 6 lug nuts. Press these into the tire carrier on the bumper and remove them if needed.

All the bolts from a knuckle assembly as well. The top trunion cap, caliper bolts etc. Set of front and rear brake pads. Also try to get a brake line cap (old brake line fitting with a small piece of line that is soldered shut) Helps to cap the brake system if you trash a brake line.

For 80 guys I would also relocate the rear hard line on the axle to above the panhard mount. The current location leaves much to be desired for ending up in a rock garden.

Look at your rear axle on the DS side right behind the panhard bar and you will see what I mean.

Also, unless everyone has replaced their high pressure and low pressure steering hoses I would take a spare of those, as well as one pump.

I would also have a spare set of rod ends as well as a tie rod and drag link.

If you spread this out between the group then the weight should not be such a big issue.

I do have a complete set of front & rear axles for a 40 as well as a couple of hubs. Not sure I have trunnion bearings and wheel bearings. I'll have to check. I have a spare 3rd member, but Tony Twiddy said we could rely on the local guys for stuff like that.

Uncle Ben
05-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I have the spare 80 driveshafts I already planned on bringing.

nakman
05-11-2008, 02:14 PM
I've got my old tie rod and drag link w/ ends that we could drag along if needed, also my front driveshaft- maybe just take the little spline end?

... A spare drive flange with one of the knubs ground down so you can use it for the template to relocate the dowel pins in case you shear them off. Can also use this driveplate for a spare.

Hey Christo how about putting together a little used parts care package for your boys here? the drive flange, knuckle parts, steering arms, etc. Or how about I swing by some night and rob what I need from one out back? :D you can have it all back when we return, or we could just call it the official Rising Sun Sleeoffroad 80 Recovery Package (RSS8RP) that travels with the club each summer as we take over the next TLCA event? Comes in a fancy Sleeoffroad recovery bag, complete with inventory sheet and price list- call me crazy...

But it would be cool to have a complete knuckle with us. I also had a thought that I should just buy another set of stainless brake lines, keep them in the plastic then if no one needs them return them? In fact for that matter why not a new tie rod set & new DC shaft, no use getting my hands dirty with old parts :rolleyes:

Shark Bait
05-11-2008, 02:39 PM
The one thing Tony told me that stuck with me is "pack light". As light as possible, I guess. The thinking being with too much extra weight in your vehicle it could get you in trouble easier. :rolleyes:

RockRunner
05-12-2008, 12:52 PM
We need to set a date now so we can all meet and see what everyone is going to bring. I know we have a fridge, Engel 45, and any and all camping equipment needed. I have parts for the truck but what do I bring.

We only have 4/5 weeks before the trip is here and I really don't want to be in a panic again like I was before CM.

We need to pick night or day that we can all meet see what everyone has and what we all need to bring.

Here are some dates to toss around; All in May

Friday 16th

Monday 19th

Tuesday 20th

Then we are into Memorial Day Weekend. I would really like to get this meeting done before then. I did not add weekends to the meeting dates as I know most of you are busy with your family and or work. We can meet on a Saturday morning/night if that is what everyone wants. We just need to set a date!

Hulk
05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I could do Monday or Tuesday.

nakman
05-12-2008, 01:52 PM
I could do Friday. or weekends. Still willing to host, or whatever.

corsair23
05-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Who has showers? I figure toilets aren't to much of a problem.

Toilets shouldn't be an issue...I believe I read the requirement is 1 toilet is required per vehicle? Not sure how hard they police that though.

But it would be cool to have a complete knuckle with us.

I have a near complete inventory of 80 series radiator and other cooling system hoses that looked in perfectly fine shape when removed :rolleyes: - bring them?

On the knuckle, I might have a DS helicoiled knuckle that could be brought along by then...Yay or nay?

Uncle Ben
05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I have tried to keep the list of attendees pretty updated with equipment. We need to chat about camping, cooking, and who will be the dedicated freezers.

RockRunner
05-12-2008, 05:27 PM
I have tried to keep the list of attendees pretty updated with equipment. We need to chat about camping, cooking, and who will be the dedicated freezers.

That is the ticket, I just decided not to use the RTT since we are camped in one area for three days. By doing this I will have room on the top of the truck for my stuff and am totally relieved :D. I was starting to stress as to how to store everything in and on my rig without breaking leave springs.

Maybe we should see how many large,2-3 burner, camping stoves we have in the group to start with. Should we start a new "Camping Supply" tread and decide from that who brings what?

This of course in no way negates the in person meeting as drinking :beer: with friends is much better than by yourself :eek:

I guess a vote can be had, I will put one out since I started this meeting mess. Got to wait till later, I am going home now!!!:thumb: See ya later.

mtncrsr
05-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Toilets shouldn't be an issue...I believe I read the requirement is 1 toilet is required per vehicle? Not sure how hard they police that though.

I have a near complete inventory of 80 series radiator and other cooling system hoses that looked in perfectly fine shape when removed :rolleyes: - bring them?

On the knuckle, I might have a DS helicoiled knuckle that could be brought along by then...Yay or nay?

On the toilet issue, I do not have a PETT toilet and I really rather not spend the money to buy something that I probably won't use again. Are there alternatives? Does anyone have a spare tha I could borrow?:confused:

Uncle Ben
05-12-2008, 06:02 PM
On the toilet issue, I do not have a PETT toilet and I really rather not spend the money to buy something that I probably won't use again. Are there alternatives? Does anyone have a spare tha I could borrow?:confused:

It is required to have one via the rules. How nice (read expensive) of one you have directly relates to how your willing to haul the waste with you!

DaveInDenver
05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
We're in the same boat, so our solution will be to rig up something functional and cheap. Think boaters and groovers... Probably something like an old 5 gallon bucket modified with a cheap-o toilet seat. The true dirt bag way is heavy duty 3 mil trash bags and kitty litter, but since we won't have a roof rack to stash the toxic sludge, we'll probably splurge on Wag Bags and PETT chemical powder. Hoping to stay in the range of $25 for the whole thing, since we only really need to use for 4 days.

corsair23
05-12-2008, 06:36 PM

http://www.outbacktoilets.com/

IIRC this is where I purchased my PETT toilet from last year. There are various options out there though from what Dave suggested to the cardboard toilets to the bucket with a lid etc.

The PETT toilet is nice but make no mistake it is NOT something you'd plan to use everyday. It is plastic and lets just say you wouldn't want to plan on sitting on it for a long time. I'm not sure what the weight rating is on it but it isn't the sturdiest of toilets. I bought it for the :Princess: and kids to use during CM events and it has been great for that. Not sure how well it will hold up to the Rubithon trip :rolleyes:.

Of course with the toilet you need the WAG bags which aren't real cheap either...Anyone have a good source for inexpensive WAG bags??

Uncle Ben
05-12-2008, 06:46 PM

IIRC this is where I purchased my PETT toilet from last year. There are various options out there though from what Dave suggested to the cardboard toilets to the bucket with a lid etc.

The PETT toilet is nice but make no mistake it is NOT something you'd plan to use everyday. It is plastic and lets just say you wouldn't want to plan on sitting on it for a long time. I'm not sure what the weight rating is on it but it isn't the sturdiest of toilets. I bought it for the :Princess: and kids to use during CM events and it has been great for that. Not sure how well it will hold up to the Rubithon trip :rolleyes:.

Of course with the toilet you need the WAG bags which aren't real cheap either...Anyone have a good source for inexpensive WAG bags??

How much are you paying now?

Jacque and boys (http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-WAGBAG20.aspx) are awesome and often cheaper than most!

RockRunner
05-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I went to the army surplus store and got a fishing type chair with a toilet seat (sort of) on it for $11.99 and a Wag bag. We tried it out, not really, and it works fine. The Wag bags are the best and easiest in my opinion before and after use.

Once used you can use a big Ziploc bag and keep them in there. As far as storing that bag???? I am planning on installing a 6-8" wide tube about 20-28"s long under my truck with caps on the end, no smell, no leaks and all is well.

Uncle Ben
05-12-2008, 08:02 PM
I went to the army surplus store and got a fishing type chair with a toilet seat (sort of) on it for $11.99 and a Wag bag. We tried it out, not really, and it works fine. The Wag bags are the best and easiest in my opinion before and after use.

Once used you can use a big Ziploc bag and keep them in there. As far as storing that bag???? I am planning on installing a 6-8" wide tube about 20-28"s long under my truck with caps on the end, no smell, no leaks and all is well.

Under....eh? That would be quite the conversation piece after landing on a rock! :eek:

Romer
05-12-2008, 08:10 PM
I think he just backs up to the tube when he goes.

powderpig
05-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Unless you want to keep using the Pett in the Springs, they have out houses. There was last few years a out house in the mechanics camp that could be used as well. The portable toliets are for inbetween the main camp areas. Unless things have changed at the Mechanics camp at Buck island(first camp on the lake, near the damn and creek. So you may have only a small amount of solid waste to haul the total distance. Just more info for the choice you make.

RockRunner
05-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I think he just backs up to the tube when he goes.

I may be able to but the :Princess: may have some problems:p:

If I were to smack a rock the person behind me would be in for a suprise...........:eek:

mtncrsr
05-13-2008, 09:31 AM

The lowest price onthe WAG bags that I have found is online at sportsmans guide http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=121819 I think that they are $24.97, if you have a membership then $22.97. Shipping of course is extra. Hope that helps.:thumb:

sleeoffroad
05-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey Christo how about putting together a little used parts care package for your boys here? the drive flange, knuckle parts, steering arms, etc. Or how about I swing by some night and rob what I need from one out back? :D you can have it all back when we return, or we could just call it the official Rising Sun Sleeoffroad 80 Recovery Package (RSS8RP) that travels with the club each summer as we take over the next TLCA event? Comes in a fancy Sleeoffroad recovery bag, complete with inventory sheet and price list- call me crazy...

A lot of these parts can be left with the tow rigs if you want to. Since most of you are driving your trucks, you want to be sure that you can fix it before driving home. I am sure you can get your truck drug out if needed, but it is a pita to scrounge for parts before heading home.

We do have some parts that I would be glad to loan, but I do not have knuckles. We have used all the ones we had.

But it would be cool to have a complete knuckle with us. I also had a thought that I should just buy another set of stainless brake lines, keep them in the plastic then if no one needs them return them? In fact for that matter why not a new tie rod set & new DC shaft, no use getting my hands dirty with old parts :rolleyes:

Problem is that they will not be in new condition after being bounced around your truck for the trip. Sounds like Kevin has you covered on the driveshafts.

Uncle Ben
05-13-2008, 12:24 PM
A lot of these parts can be left with the tow rigs if you want to. Since most of you are driving your trucks, you want to be sure that you can fix it before driving home. I am sure you can get your truck drug out if needed, but it is a pita to scrounge for parts before heading home.

We do have some parts that I would be glad to loan, but I do not have knuckles. We have used all the ones we had.

Problem is that they will not be in new condition after being bounced around your truck for the trip. Sounds like Kevin has you covered on the driveshafts.

I could canabalize my 80 front axle that I no longer plan on using in my 40. Actually sounds like a great idea! Is anyone towing? I really don't want to haul the knuckles with me.

DaveInDenver
05-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Back to spare parts... At this point it looks like I will have with me (along with important seals, washers, bolts, fluids and the like):

2 x upper ball joints
2 x lower ball joints
1 x complete left side tie rod
1 x complete right side tie rod
1 x steering center link
2 x u-joints
1 x prop shaft yoke
2 x CV axles (my front axles)
2 x IFS locking hubs
1 x water pump
1 x oil pump
2 x set of front wheel bearings
1 x set of hoses and belts

I'd like to take spindles, steering arms, motor mounts and that sort of thing, but trying to weigh the chance of breakage against weight and space.

nakman
05-21-2008, 09:28 PM
I ordered spare belts for 80's today, both of 'em. I've also got some extra studs/cone washers/nuts, plus all the starter rebuild parts. I've got a used water pump too if we need it, also next week will have a used but slightly leaky power steering pump available, if needed.

AxleIke
05-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Dave, it looks like you are bringing a spare truck!! LOL :D

You can't ever be over prepared though. Good list!

Only thing I'd add to it is brake lines (the kind from napa in the precut lengths with the flanges and bolts already on them), and a few feet of fuel line and hose clamps. You can fix a lot of stuff with fuel line and hose clamps.

DaveInDenver
05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Dave, it looks like you are bringing a spare truck!! LOL :D

You can't ever be over prepared though. Good list!

Only thing I'd add to it is brake lines (the kind from napa in the precut lengths with the flanges and bolts already on them), and a few feet of fuel line and hose clamps. You can fix a lot of stuff with fuel line and hose clamps.
I'm assuming I will be one of a few or maybe even the only IFS truck there, so can't count on being a parts borrowing weasel. Plus we are taking the long road home and will be solo coming home, so there's that part of it. I'm honestly thinking of preparing a spares box that I'll stash in someone's trailer rather than carrying it all, though. It really looks more impressive listed that it really is when you stack it all up. Well, other than having two CV axles (usually I carry one or maybe even just a boot kit).

Yeah, I didn't mention the brake lines. I do carry my old stock rubber brake lines (I have those extended stainless numbers on there). But that's stuff I typically carry anyway, the basic stuff (like spring center pins, hose clamps, duct tape, etc.).

nakman
05-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Guys I have reviewed the latest from the spare parts, food, shelter, and other random threads and did my best to get it all into one easy to digest spreadsheet. There are three pages, I hope you agree this is very easy to understand.

Please download, edit, etc., then just post it back up once you've made your changes. If you can just put today's date at the end of the file name, that will help keep revision levels in check. We can reference the latest version of this when we do our unofficial planning meeting next Friday, thanks. :beer:

DaveInDenver
05-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Nice spreadsheet, Tim! Although having it in 3 places seems like a nightmare to maintain.

Tom, you are running a 22R, right? If so, there's gonna be some redundancy we can take advantage of (same water pump, radiator, oil pump, etc.). I'm still assuming that I will be the only mini IFS at this point, although you never know. There will obviously be IFS trucks, but they'll be FJ Cruisers and Tacomas I'd guess. What moron thinks he can drive the Rubicon in an old mini truck without an SAS, anyway?

nakman
05-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Nice spreadsheet, Tim! Although having it in 3 places seems like a nightmare to maintain.

Agreed, but since the planning threads got expanded to three I wanted to be sure to cover all bases... plus we'll quit talking about tents and parts soon enough and it'll all be about food & cooking in no time...

but I need the "at a glance," can't have time to dig through 10 pages of posts to see what's what plus I want us all to have something that's easy to print, and access when there's no internet.

Romer
05-23-2008, 10:57 PM
So looking at the list my torque wrench is a cheap one that goes up to 90lbs. Someone have a better one?

Between Dan and me we have two sets of front axles, several spare birfs. I have the rear spare axles. Thinking we need at least a rear drive shaft as thats the one most likely to get striped.

What else from the 80 perspective are we missing

The 40 and mini guys can do their own post on spare parts unless something is universal.

corsair23
05-24-2008, 02:12 AM
So looking at the list my torque wrench is a cheap one that goes up to 90lbs. Someone have a better one?

I have a Craftsman torque wrench (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945282000P) that IIRC goes up to 150ft/lbs - Bring it? Maybe someone is already planning to bring one that they carry around with 'em.

What else from the 80 perspective are we missing

I didn't see a yay or nay on bringing the radiator hoses I have? What about things like distributor cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires, etc? Just thinking of stuff I have sitting in boxes waiting to be installed :o