PDA

View Full Version : Route we are thinking of taking to Rubicon

RockRunner
03-11-2008, 01:03 PM
So I have been playing on Google maps and sort of planned a route for Sharon and I to take on our way to Rubithon. Our final destination before going on the Rubicon will either be S. Lake Tahoe or ????

Check out the route and let me know if there are some interesting places to see in between there. We will be camping with two dogs so please keep that in mind. Also we like quaint fun towns. We are leaving Denver on 6-12 and plan to be in S. Lake Tahoe on Tuesday 6-17 so we have some days to fill.

I guess I should have been more clear, we are looking to do more stuff once in California. Mostly on the way back to S. Lake Tahoe from Stinson beach. The route to and from S Lake Tahoe I am not to worried about.

http://tiny.cc/Rubicontrip

Any suggestions are appreciated.

RockRunner
03-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Nobody has an opinion here??? Heeelllllooooo..........Bueller..........Bueller ???? :wav:

DaveInDenver
03-12-2008, 09:40 AM
I think the question is the section of US50 through Nevada, is there anything interesting?

First, I think you should check out Matt's first two posts on this Route Thread to Rubithon. There's currently a proposed Interstate route and a non-Interstate route.

Other than the Grea Basin NP (which we are stopping at probably on the return leg), not sure there's much other than desert through Nevada. I'm looking forward to seeing that, but that's a scenic sort of thing and not specifically sights to see so much. I think the interesting part of the leg is through southern Utah and southwestern Colorado and you are doing I-70 through most of that. If you have the time, avoid the Interstates and just wander the Federal and State 2-lanes, that's my $0.02.

ginericLC
03-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Ely has a cool old trail that should be up and running by then. Don't stop for the prisoners in Nevada. That is what all the signs say. S. Lake Tahoe is the perfect place to stay the night before. Allow about 2.5 hours to get to the trailhead from there. Gas up in the little podunk town about 10 miles from the turn off or be prepared to get raped on gas at Icehouse.

RockRunner
03-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Ely has a cool old trail that should be up and running by then. Don't stop for the prisoners in Nevada. That is what all the signs say. S. Lake Tahoe is the perfect place to stay the night before. Allow about 2.5 hours to get to the trailhead from there. Gas up in the little podunk town about 10 miles from the turn off or be prepared to get raped on gas at Icehouse.

Good info to know.

Dave I guess I should have been more clear, we are looking to do more stuff once in California. Mostly on the way back to S. Lake Tahoe from Stinson beach. The route to and from S Lake Tahoe I am not to worried about.

ScaldedDog
03-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Muir Woods, renting scooters and touring San Francisco for a day, hanging around Sausalito... There's lots to do. My favorite place to visit.

Mark

RockRunner
03-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Muir Woods, renting scooters and touring San Francisco for a day, hanging around Sausalito... There's lots to do. My favorite place to visit.

Mark

We went to San Fran last year, did the Napa to Sonoma thing. Then we went north to US 101 about 50 miles and drove down to San fran. Rented a Gold-wing and cruised all around, best way. My wife had never been there so it was a spur of the moment trip that she still talks about.

Muir woods is on the agenda but they do not allow dogs there so we may have figure something out.

What is in Sausalito? I have heard of it but never been there.

ScaldedDog
03-13-2008, 07:37 PM
What is in Sausalito? I have heard of it but never been there.

Kind of an artsy town, which my wife likes. We rode rental bikes over the Golden Gate to get there, hung around most of the day, then took the ferry back into the city. Good day.

Mark

RockRunner
03-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Kind of an artsy town, which my wife likes. We rode rental bikes over the Golden Gate to get there, hung around most of the day, then took the ferry back into the city. Good day.

Mark

Sounds like I am going to have to add that one to the list. Any idea if they are dog friendly? We are planning on walking around the little towns etc. so if we see something we like one will go in and the other holds the dogs.

ScaldedDog
03-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Sounds like I am going to have to add that one to the list. Any idea if they are dog friendly? We are planning on walking around the little towns etc. so if we see something we like one will go in and the other holds the dogs.

No idea. Mine goes to the "Doggie Marriott" when we travel. He's got Silver status. :-)

Mark

RockRunner
03-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Not ours, they either go along or they stay at Grandma and Grandpa. That is that their vacation form us :-)

Hulk
03-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Thread moved to the Rubithon planning sub-forum. Let's keep our forums organized! :)