PDA

View Full Version : Decent used FJ40 radiator?

SteveH
03-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Does anyone have a nice, non-leaky FJ40 radiator - either OEM, or a replacement radiator. I realize I can order one new from www.radiatorbarn.com, but if someone had a used one, that would be cool.

Thanks,

Steve

PM or email to: steve.helmreich (at) hp.com

RicardoJM
03-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I have the one that came in my FJ40. It leaks at the top seam, but could likely be repaired by a radiator shop. When I bought it in December it was way too cold to even try the JB Weld, though I was told this would do the trick. Either way, your welcome to take it out of my garage to see if it will work for you. There was a new one on Craigslist at that time and I bought it. That is to say, if there was not one on Craigslist, I would have gotten this one repaired.

rover67
03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
i have an fj60 rad. no clue if it fits.

Rzeppa
03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I have the one that came in my FJ40. It leaks at the top seam, but could likely be repaired by a radiator shop.

LOL!

The one in my 71 developed a crack at the top seam on the way to Frozen Dead Guy Days this past weekend. I soldered it back up on Sunday, but don't expect that to last, I don't have the acid tank the shops do. I'll be taking my spare down to Kittredge Auto Radiator tomorrow to drop off and have repaired (usual cost is about $85) then swap them out this weekend.

Sorry Steve, I don't have one for you, but suggest that you pick up a spare as I have so downtime is minimal when you get one repaired.

Hulk
03-11-2008, 11:28 PM
There was a sweet aluminum one for sale on Craigslist a few weeks ago.

isotel
03-12-2008, 03:04 AM
and i think Colorado4x4.org had an aluminum one in the FS section!

SteveH
03-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the ideas/suggestions everyone - I'll keep poking around. I've soldered tanks before with better and worse levels of success.

Steve

Rzeppa
03-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Heh. When it rains it pours ethylene glycol, but there's a silver lining.

So last Sunday, after driving to Nederland and back with a cracked top seam on my rad, I cleaned up and resoldered the seam. Drove it to and from work yesterday, upon returning home checked level and it took a !!gallon!! of 50/50. Shrugs shoulders and figured I didn't do that great of a job. Since it's at the top of the tank, the worst that can happen is it spews until it's below the crack, then lose it at a slow rate whilst keeping the level high enough to keep the engine cool.

So I load up the spare rad and head down to the flatlands to deliver it to the rad shop for repair. On the way down, I smell glycol, and chalk it up to my not-so skillful repair. I get down there and the door is locked. I peek through the windows and the place is empty. Yikes! WTF??? I just talked to them on the phone and they said they were open until five, and that's twenty minutes from now! I go to the shop next door and they explain that Roger (long time proprietor) had health problems and they moved to 1st and Harlan. I ask if I could use the phone, he said "sure" and I call them, and they agreed to wait for me.

So I go back out and notice a sizeable pool of 50/50 running down to the pavement. But it's nowhere near the radiator, it's around the t-case. Pop the hood, sure enough, my repair is holding up. Making a command decision, I head to the new location of the rad shop. Get there just before closing, drop off the rad and head back up the hill.

When I got back safely into the garage, I am determined to figure out where this freaking leak is coming from. By now I have a pool of 50/50 on the floor, and no signs of rad problems. It coming from around the t-case. I'm thinking rear heater??

So after examining the heater hose junctions and checking under the front heater I pull up the passenger side floor mat and there's a veritable pool of 50/50. I lift up one of the rear heater hoses and am greeted by three super-soaker sized spouts!

Yep, there you have it. These heater hoses are at least as old as the ten years I've had this rig, probably older. So I guess they had every right to spout. And here's the silver lining: Since I have to swap out the rad anyway, WAY better to do the heater hoses now while the coolant is already drained than say, a week from now and waste $30 (!!!!) worth of antifreeze.

<shrugs shoulders>

I guess it's all good. Rather make occasional repairs than payments, eh?

Happy cruisin'!

ianacole
03-14-2008, 08:49 AM
I have one that has a pinhole leak somewhere. You're welcome to it - just come get it out of my garage ;)

DaveInDenver
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
I guess it's all good. Rather make occasional repairs than payments, eh?
LOL, good story Jeff. Last summer since I was focusing on breaking in my engine I was hyper sensitive about anything that seemed abnormal. I religiously checked the oil and coolant, for example. One day maybe a few months into using the new engine I noticed the overflow bottle was empty and thought sure, just air burping out no biggie. Let it cool, checked that there was coolant in the radiator (there was) and topped it off.

Watched it over the next few days and it kept going empty. What the heck? It was low by an overflow bottle's worth every morning. OK, this is weird. No pools, no smell of coolant, no steam. Just always low. Now I am starting to worry, no external leaks that I could see and it's always low, did my HG not seal and I'm burning it? Oh man, oh man. I put the pressure checker on the radiator and pumped it up, it held OK. Drove it that day and sure enough that evening it was low again. This time I let it cool and pressurized the system and left it for the night, zero pressure in the morning, that didn't surprise me.

One morning with the truck hot I was idling and poking around looking, couldn't see or smell anything, but on a hunch I revv'd the engine and held it at about 2500 RPM for 10 or 15 seconds and sure enough, a tiny stream of coolant running down onto the top of the intake. Grab the mirror and I'll be a SOB, the hose was leaking just a little where it goes into the thermostat housing. I could not see or smell it because for the cooling system to be high enough pressure I had to have the engine RPMs up and for the gap to be big enough everything had to be hot. So it was leaking on the highway and so the little bit of coolant was spraying everywhere rather than pooling. I snugged that hose clamp (and all of them) and I have not been down even the width of the 'full' line molded into the plastic overflow bottle in 6 months now.

SteveH
03-14-2008, 10:24 AM
If you own older vehicles, a cooling system pressure tester is handy. I bought a Camry with a blown headgasket and pressurized the system cold and immediately found that the water pump and upper hose were leaking profusely. I wanted to see what likely led to the overheat condition. When I put the engine back together, I was able know where leaks already existed.

Since some leaks only happen when the cooling system is cold, when you apply pressure under a cold situation, with the engine off, you can hear/see/feel leaks you wouldn't see otherwise.