PDA

View Full Version : Random FJ40 Questions

daisydog34
03-11-2008, 09:40 PM
So im reviving Jethro's forty before Moab and am in the middle of doing a body swap. The chassis is a 68 and the new body is a 72. I have run across a couple of problems and me being a mini truck/runner guy am confused.

1. In the 68 body the pedals mounted to a "pedal bucket", the 72 doesn't have this pedal bucket. Im wondering what would be the best course of action here:
A. Cut out the old pedal bracket and weld it into the new body.
B. Order a new pedal bucket from SOR and weld that in.
C. Try to find used pedals from a 72ish body that would bolt in the new body.

2. The 68 had a vacuum shift system for the t-case and the lever under the dash. The 72 had a floor shift system so there are no brackets on the back of the dash for the shifter linkage to mount to do I:
A. Buy the SOR floor shift conversion kit.
B. Cut the old brackets of the 68 and weld them to the new body.

Im just looking for some input here, I could figure it out for myself, just thought I would see what yall had to say about the matters. Or if anybody had any experience doing this kind of a swap and if there are any other problems I will run in to.

Thanks in advance :beer::beer::beer:

Shark Bait
03-11-2008, 10:02 PM
If you look around you should be able to find a complete pedal bucket from a parts cruiser. SOR lists 7/70-7/80 as the same part.

You should be able to get later "floor shift" parts from a later cruiser as well. SOR sells a kit for $289.

www.sor.com

IMO it's easier to find the newer parts than cut and weld. My :twocents:.

nuclearlemon
03-11-2008, 10:39 PM
can't help you on the pedal bucket as i'm too lazy to go out and look at my 60's vintage cruisers, but on teh trans...scrap the three speed and find a four speed setup. floor shift and more comfortable tranny.

daisydog34
03-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Are the pedals themselves and how they mount the same in 68 as they are in 72? I guess what im asking is can I order just the pedal bucket from sor and use my pedals or will I need new pedals? Am I following this correctly?

As for the three/four spd. It has an SM420 in it which is great gotta love that low gear!

On a side note, Toyota did some really strange things back in the day. Like I said earlier I am a runner/mini guy my baby is a 4runner. Everything from the wiring to the fact that the transfercase just hangs out behind the tranny that just hangs out is WEIRD!:D

Shark Bait
03-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Are the pedals themselves and how they mount the same in 68 as they are in 72? I guess what im asking is can I order just the pedal bucket from sor and use my pedals or will I need new pedals? Am I following this correctly?

Not sure, but they might be different. If no one in the club has a complete bucket there is IH8MUD and Classic Cruisers. You could also try Ron at Rocky Mountain.

As for the three/four spd. It has an SM420 in it which is great gotta love that low gear!

Whatever you do you will have to adapt it because of the SM420. :D

Rzeppa
03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
2. The 68 had a vacuum shift system for the t-case and the lever under the dash. The 72 had a floor shift system so there are no brackets on the back of the dash for the shifter linkage to mount to do I:
A. Buy the SOR floor shift conversion kit.
B. Cut the old brackets of the 68 and weld them to the new body.

When I did the 4 speed conversion on my 71, I kept the vacuum shift because I really, really like it better than the floor shifter for the t-case. Plus it was less work :-)