PDA

View Full Version : sanity test

nuclearlemon
03-14-2008, 09:07 PM
if i go to cm, my ex has offered my his new trailer to take. would anyone like to question my sanity as i attempt to pull a decent sized popup behind my 2f fj55?

wesintl
03-14-2008, 09:13 PM
vail on the way home... :D

Crash
03-14-2008, 09:15 PM
If you go? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.
You are going. Might take a while to get there pulling the trailer but you'll get there and you will have the best f'n time of anybody. If it's the ex's trailer, just leave it in Moab? Just a thought........
Just kidding!!

nakman
03-14-2008, 09:25 PM
There wasn't a "geocut" choice in the poll, so I flipped to going all the way with the jack. Just check your oil in glenwood, I'm sure you'll be fine.

RockRunner
03-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Blast the tunes, crank the heat, wear your best Hawaiian shirt and flip flops...........You can't be in a bad mood then!!!

Of course a few YeagerBombs don't hurt either...............After you get there that is!!

Shark Bait
03-14-2008, 10:12 PM
if i go to cm, my ex has offered my his new trailer to take. would anyone like to question my sanity as i attempt to pull a decent sized popup behind my 2f fj55?

What about your Ford? Won't it make it? I was considering leasing it from you for Rubithon. :D

Romer
03-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Maybe you should take the 80 instead :D

How big a pop-up? You should be OK as long as its not too large.

Having a pop-up camper at CM makes it a whole different experiance. Much nicer than the cabins (I have stayed in both)

Uncle Ben
03-14-2008, 11:43 PM
I have killed trucks on Vail, Monarch and Rabbit Ears. Everytime was on the western slope Eastbound! I checked Vail as the other two were not choices! Actually, I have killled two on Vail so there ya have it! :eek::rolleyes::lmao:

Crash
03-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Ige, don't caravan with Kevin! :hill:

I have killed trucks on Vail, Monarch and Rabbit Ears. Everytime was on the western slope Eastbound! I checked Vail as the other two were not choices! Actually, I have killled two on Vail so there ya have it! :eek::rolleyes::lmao:

Uncle Ben
03-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Ige, don't caravan with Kevin! :hill:

Tru Dat! "Don't follow me.....you won't make it!" ;) :lmao:

nuclearlemon
03-15-2008, 11:28 AM
What about your Ford? Won't it make it? I was considering leasing it from you for Rubithon. :D

ford will pull the camper just fine, but then how do i get the pig there ;)

corsair23
03-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Just a thought here, because even pulling a popup with an 80 the hills aren't fun :(

I'm thinking of pulling our popup over to Vail or Edwards area with my FIL's Dodge Ram and then leaving the Dodge somewhere there and continuing on with the LX and popup (the :Princess: would drive the LX to Vail area). My FIL has even offered to pull the popup over there and then meet back up with us on the return trip :D. Yeah, he is a pretty damn nice guy :thumb:

So, could you find someone willing to drive the pig over to Vail and do the same? Other possibility, but more work, would be to pull the popup over, drop it, go back for the pig, drive it over, hook up the popup and go. Reverse the scenario on the way back.

Yeah, a LOT of work here...You'd have to find a spot to drop the popup or one of the vehicles, extra travel time and gas $$ etc. But, it probably gives you an idea of just how bad I thought it sucked pulling the popup with my LX was last year. I didn't mind the going slow and extra time, it was the stress on the LX I didn't like :o. Going up Vail pass and Eisenhower doing 20-25 at max RPMs in 1st gear sucked...West to East (coming back) was worse than going out.

Option 2: hook up to Romer and have him pull you over the passes :D

P.S. Keep in mind that judging by the poll I'm the biggest wuss in the group :lol:

Romer
03-16-2008, 04:20 PM
3 years ago, I pulled my campoer over the mtn passes with no supercharger, 33's and stock gears. The passes make you go slower, but there isn't any other problem doing it. I would not spend the extra money to bring another truck to work through just a few slow spots. Think you are over worrying this.

Sure people will be passing you on the uphill climb, but that gives them more time to see what a cool truck you have :D

Shark Bait
03-16-2008, 05:53 PM

I'm also considering flat towing the 40 to Moab and to Rubithon with my 80.

Convert
03-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Tru Dat! "Don't follow me.....you won't make it!" ;) :lmao:

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Or Denver or Bust

nuclearlemon
03-16-2008, 10:32 PM
i wouldn't hesistate to tow it with an 80, but 2fs have a hard enough time lugging the vehicle over the pass let alone a decent sized popup. not sure how much it weighs, gonna ask paul tomorrow. a hitch will be a big determining factor. i was hoping maybe to get the extra receiver i got sitting in the yard, but it's about 6 inches too wide and i don't trust my welding near enough to cut it down.

nuclearlemon
03-16-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm also considering flat towing the 40 to Moab and to Rubithon with my 80.

got your message about the ford. you're welcome to use it, if i've still got it. mileage will suck though. i get 13 empty. 8-10 towing.

Shark Bait
03-17-2008, 05:29 AM
got your message about the ford. you're welcome to use it, if i've still got it. mileage will suck though. i get 13 empty. 8-10 towing.

Thanks. I'll let you know. I'd have to scrounge up a trailer.

subzali
03-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Just turn on the hazards and put 'er in first. You'll make it (eventually) :lmao:

To bypass Floyd Hill go through Golden up Clear Creek. Much less wear and tear on the vehicle. :thumb: So that solves one of your problems :D

MDH33
03-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks. I'll let you know. I'd have to scrounge up a trailer.

Find a 2 place trailer and I'll split the gas and "rental fee" with you. ;)

nuclearlemon
03-17-2008, 08:41 AM

except than you'd have to have a gooseneck. i've got the crossmember for the gooseneck, but no ball or chainbolts.

Uncle Ben
03-17-2008, 08:52 AM
except than you'd have to have a gooseneck. i've got the crossmember for the gooseneck, but no ball or chainbolts.
I think I still have a gooseneck plate with ball that bolts into a truck bed. Free to an RSer in need.

corsair23
03-17-2008, 01:39 PM

WIMPS!! :lmao:

Although...my FIL's Dodge is set up for a goose neck...Now, if I could find a trailer that both the LX and popup camper would fit on :hill: - Would you guys kick me out of the club if I showed up to CM08 with the LX and popup on a trailer pulled by a Dodge?? :D

MDH33
03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
WIMPS!! :lmao:

I'm driving my 40 to Moab again this year. Are you?? ;)

bh4rnnr
03-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Ige, just pull it with the 2F. That way you can hang with Wes for the drive to and from Moab:eek::hill:.

:beer::beer:

Hulk
03-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Ige, just pull it with the 2F. That way you can hang with Wes for the drive to and from Moab.

Dude, you're not paying attention. Wes is turbocharged now, baby. :grinpimp:

Corbet
03-20-2008, 07:18 PM
It's going home that's going to suck. Everything is steeper on the way back.

nuclearlemon
03-20-2008, 09:31 PM
yup....probably gonna leave sat that way, i can "take my time" on the way home and get really drunk and forget about it on sunday.:hill:

btw, an awful lot of you seem to think my patience is more than i think it is:confused:

corsair23
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
btw, an awful lot of you seem to think my patience is more than i think it is:confused:

They're just more positive thinkers than we are :hill:

I will agree with Ken on having a popup at the campground though...It is the bomb :thumb:

Rzeppa
04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
yup....probably gonna leave sat that way, i can "take my time" on the way home and get really drunk and forget about it on sunday.:hill:

Didn't you do that a couple years back when the Derby was on?

nuclearlemon
04-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Didn't you do that a couple years back when the Derby was on?

i was still out there for the derby, just didn't wheel. watched it on the back of someone's car trailer in slickrock:D

Red_Chili
04-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm gonna be pulling a popup too, powered by a lowly 3.4L. I pulled a popup forth and back using the powerhouse 22RE also.

You'll be fine, you'll be just fine. Enjoy the scenery and don't throw a rod.

nuclearlemon
04-12-2008, 08:16 PM
progress is slow going...got new ignition switch in, adjusted clutch and brake drums, new t/s switch, adjusted wipers, gear reduction starter (makes a cool wirring noise), tires mounted to oem rims (hubcaps and all:)...thnks to timmbuck for letting me borrow a few until mine make it up from texs), and did a dry run on the popup so i'd have a clue what im doing.

popup is enormous. seems somewhat light in the slight moving around in the driveway.....cross fingers now.

need to do trailer wiring, brake controller wiring, weld up a couple of hoops for the safety chains, make a setp for the left side so i can get into the piggie, make up some tiedown points in teh back for the tire/tools.......gettign there....slowly, but surely.

nuclearlemon
04-13-2008, 10:48 PM
for reference, for those of us that can't quite envision what a 20' popup looks like next to a cruiser:eek:

Shark Bait
04-13-2008, 10:59 PM
WOW. Sweet! :D Nice tie down job. :lmao: The pig is looking really good, Ige. :clap:

Red_Chili
04-14-2008, 07:59 AM
20' popup?!?
:eek:
Let me change my vote to Floyd Hill. That is one big popup. What, you got a kazoo band and a gerbil acrobatics team camping with you?

nuclearlemon
04-26-2008, 12:50 PM
if anyone picked georgetown, they win...just coming to rifle now 65mph w of vail...left house at 8;45a

Corbet
04-26-2008, 01:21 PM
The worst of it is behind you, well until next weekend.....:p:

Uncle Ben
04-26-2008, 01:53 PM
if anyone picked georgetown, they win...just coming to rifle now 65mph w of vail...left house at 8;45a

Good thing your herding a Cruiser with "Soul!" :lmao::lmao: :hill:

nuclearlemon
04-26-2008, 02:31 PM
judging by last weekends trip to montrose , 80 would,ve been just as hideous

Mendocino
04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Go Ige Go! I won't have the Jack there when you arrive, but you have a marker.:D

corsair23
04-26-2008, 07:56 PM

You rock :thumb:

Just FYI that Georgetown wasn't a choice :rolleyes:. Looks like the 4 of us those chose Floyd Hill/Eisenhower are the veiners then :hill:

Glad to hear you made it safely over the passes...Sounded like the weather was absolute crap today up there.

nuclearlemon
04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
actually i missed bad weather at eisenhower...it was headed east, so i hit it between downieville and georgetown. snow was flat sideways and the cars were going slower than me