PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay Tuesday night

Hulk
03-15-2008, 12:47 PM
We hit the Rubicon Trail on Wednesday morning. Where should we all stay on Tuesday night? I will post up some options that have been discussed on the thread on Mud. Please post up additional options. We should make a decision and get some reservations soon.

Hulk
03-15-2008, 12:48 PM
For those who do not know. When arriving for Rubithon at the Loon Lake Staging area you can camp , there are sites by the lake with paved roads and bathrooms. If you are arriving the night before your run or nights before it is fun and comfortable to stay there and get ready. Sometimes you can go play around on the areas close by and get a taste of the trail.

Option 1: Camping. We'd be right by the trailhead if we camp here. We could also camp somewhere else.

Hulk
03-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Check out Ice House Resort (not really a resort, but a bed and a shower) and Robs Resort (similar accomodations).

Fill up with gas before you hit Ice House road if possible to save some money. If you are doing the Wednesday Run, there will be others of us staying at Ice House Tuesday Night.

Dave

Option 2: Ice House Resort. I think this is a great idea! Plus, only 30 minutes to the trailhead.

Hulk
03-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Two years ago some of us stayed in Pollock Pines the night before a breakfast run starting at Ice House. Dinner and hot showers before takeoff. Seems like about 45 minutes to Ice House and another 30 to Loon. I'm sure people do it faster but we're just cruisin' in 40's. Be sure to fill up in Pollock Pines the night before as the gas is much cheaper...make that less expensive.

Option 3: Pollock Pines.
Sounds like this is about 1:15 to the trailhead -- still acceptably close, IMO.

Shark Bait
03-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Wouldn't mind a bed the night before 4 days of camping. I'd split a room with someone.

Romer
03-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Here is some info

http://www.ca-resorts-review.com/?n=ice+house+resort&id=204036&t=hotelinfo

There is a winery there :D

corsair23
03-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Option 2: Ice House Resort. I think this is a great idea! Plus, only 30 minutes to the trailhead.

This sounds great but the info I found (here (http://www.placerville.info/Ice_House_Resort)) would lend one to believe that we would most likely be camping...I can only imagine this place fills up fast and it has limited room (i.e. might barely only fit our group :hill:)

RV Hookups, $30.00/night (4 people) $400.00/month (4 people).
32 Campground sites at the Ice House Resort: Fee, $15.00/night (4 people - additional people $2 each).
Group campsite: Fee, $150.00/night (50 people).
Five Motel rooms: $71.50 ~ $88.00 a night.

Hulk
03-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Check out Robb's, if you can get one of the newer cabins they are very nice. Plus Robb's is a 100% supporter of off roading and of the Rubicon Trail.

"Robb's Valley Resort, near the Rubicon Trail, where recreation can be found, on Ice House Road in El Dorado County. Rent recreational equipment, ski boats, wave runners, pontoon boats, cabins."

Plus it is the closest thing to the trail.

http://www.dorobbs.com/

Shark Bait
03-20-2008, 11:53 PM

That looks great! I'm still open to sharing a room if anyone wants to. :D

MDH33
03-21-2008, 07:51 AM

That looks pretty good. Something for everyone as far as cabins, rv or pop-up sites as well as tent sites. Anyone look into whether it's full?

RockRunner
03-25-2008, 10:39 AM
If we leave our trailers there how long would it take to drive back there after the trip is done? Thinking maybe of dropping the tow rig off somewhere near S. lake Tahoe and driving back to Robbs.

Anybody have an idea where a good place would be to drop of the tow rig in SLT?

RockRunner
03-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I just reserved a cabin at Robb's resort for Tuesday the 17th of June. I spoke to Debbie there and it sounds like a great place to stay. They accept dogs and have a small general store and a restaurant.

We may be able to offer a room for somebody to stay, depends on the wife :rolleyes:

If you decide to stay there tell them you are with the RS and they will try to put everyone together.

According to Debbie they are 7 miles from the trail head.:thumb:

Romer
03-27-2008, 06:52 PM
So I just booked the last Cabin at the same place Tom is staying.

The also have a Bunk House. One room with two bunks for $50 total or another room with 4 bunks for $60. So you can sleep in a bed and walk down the hall to shower for $15 to $25 a person before you spend a week out in the wild. She didn't have a lot of space left so I would call Debbie at the link below

http://www.dorobbs.com/lodging.html

Romer
03-27-2008, 07:09 PM
And there is a Restaurant and bar there:beer:

Also the nice thing about reserving now is you have a place and she said you could cancel the night before with no penalty.

RockRunner
03-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Debbie is pretty nice, I spend some time talking to her. The restaurant and bar do make for a nice bonus :D

Now I am looking for a place to stay after the trip Sunday night, want to stay in South Lake Tahoe since that will be at the end of the trail pretty much.

I spoke to Tony and he said UB and he were trying to set up a place for all of us to store our tow rigs. That would be far better than storing at Robb's and driving all the way back to the beginning.:eek:

corsair23
03-28-2008, 12:52 AM
So I just booked the last Cabin at the same place Tom is staying.

The also have a Bunk House. One room with two bunks for $50 total or another room with 4 bunks for $60. So you can sleep in a bed and walk down the hall to shower for $15 to $25 a person before you spend a week out in the wild. She didn't have a lot of space left so I would call Debbie at the link below

http://www.dorobbs.com/lodging.html

It say the cabins have a "sleeping loft" as well :hill: - cot and sleeping bag and I'm set :lmao:

Anyone up for going in with a few of us on a RV rental if they have any left available? Looks to be about $35-$40 per person....

Romer
03-28-2008, 07:13 AM
It say the cabins have a "sleeping loft" as well :hill: - cot and sleeping bag and I'm set :lmao:

Sorry Jeff, the nakman party of 3 has that space booked:D

based on the map, looks like we roll out of bed and we are there in a few minutes at the beginning of Loon Lake.

On Sunday night, I figure I will be far away from the area and stop when we are tired, or swap drivers and push through. Tim and I drove to Flat Nasty just changing drivers.

DaveInDenver
03-28-2008, 08:34 AM

Anyone up for going in with a few of us on a RV rental if they have any left available? Looks to be about $35-$40 per person....
I'd go in for a shared RV spot. :-)

I need this much space:
http://www.armbrusterweb.com/public/webshots/DSC01182.JPG

nakman
03-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Sorry Jeff, the nakman party of 3 has that space booked:D

based on the map, looks like we roll out of bed and we are there in a few minutes at the beginning of Loon Lake.

On Sunday night, I figure I will be far away from the area and stop when we are tired, or swap drivers and push through. Tim and I drove to Flat Nasty just changing drivers.

yeah I signed up to help pay for the room Tuesday night, not sure where everyone's going to sleep and not really worried about it.. heck I'll probably be too excited to sleep anyway. But come Wednesday morning, figure once Rachel gets her shower in the rest of the boys can all line up and use up the rest of the hot water. :D

I'm not going to think too much about Sunday night until Sunday... but the last time I drove Ken's truck I got pulled over, so probably won't be doing that again :rolleyes:

Shark Bait
03-28-2008, 09:11 AM

I'm going to get a Bunk House room, if anyone wants to go in with me, let me know.

MDH33
03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I'd go in for a shared RV spot. :-)

I need this much space:

I'm down with splitting a space Dave. I'll just have a tent as well. If you make the reservation I'll throw in. :thumb:

DaveInDenver
03-28-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm down with splitting a space Dave. I'll just have a tent as well. If you make the reservation I'll throw in. :thumb:
An RV spot looks like it's $25, which is a few bucks more than a tent-only site ($15), but has water right there to top off water cans. I will make the reservation today and assume that Jeff will also throw down his tent.

UPDATE:
I have a reserved RV site for Tuesday evening. Debbie said there is space for a tent, so I'll plan on Martin and Jeff sharing the site. She did mention that Romer got the big cabin and so I'm assuming that will be Rising Sun Delta House (West).

Shark Bait
03-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I went ahead and booked a single room since I didn't hear from anyone. As of this afternoon there was still a bunk house left. :)

RockRunner
03-28-2008, 02:40 PM
We asked for the smaller one since my wife :Princess: decided she wanted us to be alone..............with the two dogs:o

If she decides that she wants to share, I want to, we'll post up ASAP.

Ken you can thank us later for taking the smaller "cabin"......they have a bar there :thumb::beer::beer:

Romer
03-28-2008, 02:54 PM
My Cabin???

Did they do that after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

MDH33
03-28-2008, 03:03 PM
nice photo-chop Dave. I didn't catch it at first. :D

Hulk
03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
nice photo-chop Dave. I didn't catch it at first. :D

X2. Nicely done. :thumb:

corsair23
03-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I went ahead and booked a single room since I didn't hear from anyone. As of this afternoon there was still a bunk house left. :)

Booked a bunk house for me and the pilot :thumb:...Not sure what is left by now. On a side note, I asked about the RVs as that seemed like a viable option as well for 3-4 people to divide up. They are (were) still available but she said they aren't usually able to get them up to the property until after Memorial on account of the snow so that would be a risk...

RockRunner
04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Here is a message from Debbie at Robbs Resort, if you were on the fence. As of 4/1/08 12:30 pm;

Hi Tom!

Thanks for passing along all of the information -- very nice of you! We currently have 2 bunkhouses open for June 17th for your group. One sleeps 2 people, and one sleeps 4. We also have our RV's open. We are planning on having them up in place at Robbs for Memorial Day Weekend, so that won't be a problem. Any other questions, please let me know!!

Thanks again for your help!

Debbie

Tch2fly
04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm signed up, they are down to one bunkhouse as of this afternoon.

nakman
06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Guys, it occurred to me last night that I wasn't too clear on how to get to Robb's Resort. Having been to Reno/Tahoe a few times in the past, I was figuring we'd want to go up past Mt. Rose, then down along the coast of Lake Tahoe, rather than more I-80 action.

So this would be the route then.. is this what the rest of you guys had in mind?

nakman
06-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Mapquest says 3.5 hours from Reno. We pick Bruce up at about 8:00, then will allow for a quick grocery store trip, that probably doesn't get us to Robb's until after 11:00. You guys will still be up, right?

nakman
06-11-2008, 11:14 AM
The other way, according to Mapquest, is to drive 3/4 the way to Sacto, then double back. This adds miles, but shaves off close to an hour of time. But I guess if it's dark out why do we care if we see/don't see the lake, right?

What about leaving on Sunday, will we be driving past Lake Tahoe? I just want to make sure our :canada: dignitary gets to see all the sites, since we're driving all this way..

Romer
06-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Whenever you show up will be fine.

We are leaving Monday. Want to be home for Fathers Day and Sarah is leaving two days later to go to out of the country for 5 weeks.

nakman
06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Sorry, I was referring to the next Sunday, the one that begins at Rubicon Springs. After we crest Cadillac hill, will we then drive past Lake Tahoe?

We're also leaving on Monday, heck I have to go to work in the morning..

corsair23
06-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Tim,

I was "futzing" with Google maps last night and it looked like a good route was South out of Reno to Carson City, then Hwy 50 to Robb's.

Per Google from Reno:

I80 to Auburn then Wentworth Springs to Ice House Rd to Robb's is ~150 miles, 2hrs 45mins

Hwy 395 South to Hwy 50 then to Ice House Rd to Robb's is ~119 miles, 2hrs 43 mins

Looks to be about a wash time wise but not mileage wise.

Anyone chatted with a local re: where to fuel up on Tuesday before the Wednesday departure? Not knowing what is around there for gas, maybe the route in will have to be based on where fuel can be had...

Uncle Ben
06-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Tim,

I was "futzing" with Google maps last night and it looked like a good route was South out of Reno to Carson City, then Hwy 50 to Robb's.

Per Google from Reno:

I80 to Auburn then Wentworth Springs to Ice House Rd to Robb's is ~150 miles, 2hrs 45mins

Hwy 395 South to Hwy 50 then to Ice House Rd to Robb's is ~119 miles, 2hrs 43 mins

Anyone chatted with a local re: where to fuel up on Tuesday before the Wednesday departure? Not knowing what is around there for gas, maybe the route in will have to be based on where fuel can be had...

Fill up ANYWHERE but Ice House then top off at IceHouse. Ice House is very inflated in an already inflated fuel price area. There is several opportunities from Tahoe up the American River canyon.

nakman
06-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Tim,

Per Google from Reno:

Looks like you're right, going through Carson City adds 2 minutes, but subtracts about 30 miles? Ok, that may be be the preferred route then, at least for those of us on the "late shift." And it may be faster than that, I know from experience Carson City is only 30-35 minutes from Reno, and you can be in Minden in an hour.. a lot of folks make that commute actually, Washoe Valley to Reno is a lot like Castle Rock to Denver, just smaller roads.

Hulk
06-11-2008, 02:15 PM
I posted a request for help over in the thread on Mud (http://forum.ih8mud.com/tlca-sanctioned-events/198910-rubithon-2008-june-18th-22nd-2008-a-17.html) that a bunch of the Rubithon committee has been monitoring.

woooody
06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Take i-80 down through Tahoma (89) and then 50 up Ice House.

If anyone is trailering, this would be a great way to dump your trailer/tow vehicle, as Tahoma is where Rubicon exits.

Don't go 395 to 50, and don't go through Auburn. The drive around Tahoe is phenomenal

edit -- looking at your 3 routes, route 1 would be the best. Route 2 takes you in through Georgetown/Wentworth springs, and could be a long drive. Usually, people enter via Highway 50, Ice House road

Shark Bait
06-11-2008, 02:47 PM
We are in Carson City Monday, so we will probably take 50.

woooody
06-11-2008, 02:54 PM
We are in Carson City Monday, so we will probably take 50.

Then route 3 makes perfect sense ;)

Convert
06-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Woooody

What would be the best route if coming in from Nevada City Ca. Google brings you in on Ca193 and Wentworth springs Rd ?

woooody
06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Woooody

What would be the best route if coming in from Nevada City Ca. Google brings you in on Ca193 and Wentworth springs Rd ?

Yeah, I don't know on that one... You could also cut down on 49 to 50, and back up ice house rd.

Wentworth Springs Rd is the "traditional" route in, and the way Jeepers Jamboree goes in. But remember that you are really going to Loon Lake, and not Wentworth...

Why will you be in Nevada City? Going to 4x4labs ;) -- If so, talk to Luke, he probably knows the "best" way

woooody
06-11-2008, 05:02 PM
From mud: "coming up from Auburn. 49 to 193 up Wentworth Springs road is hands down the best route. You take a right on Ice house and you're there.

I live near Cameron park and that route cuts a half hour outfherip to loon vs going 50 to Ice House"

Convert
06-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Why will you be in Nevada City? Going to 4x4labs
No such luck. My dad is along for the ride and wants to stop in and see his sister for dinner and visiting on Monday.The route form the post on mud is identical to the Google route:thumb:
Thanks Ross