PDA

View Full Version : Feedback from Stevinson on Meetings

Romer
03-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Derek has been getting some heat because we have been lingering in the building after nine oclock.

We need to be good guests and the meetings will need to end at 8:55PM. We collectively need to speed up getting oursleves and our conversations out of the building.

The key is when it's 9PM we need to be out of the building, not collecting ourselves to leave.

Thanks for your support and I will do a better job in getting the meeting concluded with a few minutes to spare.

nakman
03-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Do the raffle from your tailgate.

MDH33
03-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Would it make sense to start the meetings 30 minutes earlier? With 100+ members it takes a good deal of time just for the introductions. ;)

waggoner5
03-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Yep.
G

Crash
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Good idea.

Would it make sense to start the meetings 30 minutes earlier? With 100+ members it takes a good deal of time just for the introductions. ;)

Uncle Ben
03-17-2008, 11:14 AM

That cuts into Margarita hour.....bad idea! :rolleyes: :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Romer
03-17-2008, 11:16 AM
No, we aren't going to start earlier. No real reason to. Just manage ending the meeting a couple minutes earlier and then the club needs to make a better effort to move outside. We have been fairly slow about that and that's probably the main cause.

Uncle Ben
03-17-2008, 11:19 AM
No, we aren't going to start earlier. No real reason to. Just manage ending the meeting a couple minutes earlier and then the club needs to make a better effort to move outside. We have been fairly slow about that and that's probably the main cause.

If everyone left via the back door that would probably look better too instead of the middle school field trip effect at 9pm!

corsair23
03-17-2008, 03:27 PM
If everyone left via the back door that would probably look better too instead of the middle school field trip effect at 9pm!

x2...Shorter route as well :thumb:

Ken, do they mind the lingering in the parking lot as well? I hope not

sleeoffroad
03-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Why can't it start earlier?

MDH33
03-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Why can't it start earlier?

Leaves more time for the after-meeting too. :thumb:

DaveInDenver
03-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Didn't the meetings used to start at 7PM years ago? Could just be a failing memory.

JadeRunner
03-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Didn't the meetings used to start at 7PM years ago? Could just be a failing memory.

That's what I remember. 7pm sounds good to me.

Hulk
03-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Not since I've been a member. Always was 7:30. Whatever. Either is fine with me. I always thought the 9:00 deadline was kind of a benefit: "No meeting longer than 1.5 hours!"

Remember a few of the meetings we had when we were at Larry Miller (now Mountain States)? They went until 10 or 10:30. One time the meeting went so late that the dealership locked the gate and we couldn't get out of the dealership.

Come to think of it, the last time I saw Phil Simmons was on the upper deck at Mountain States.

Rezarf
03-17-2008, 06:53 PM
"No meeting longer than 1.5 hours!"

Now that is wisdom from a former commander! :D

Romer
03-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Again, we will not change the meeting start time or duration. This thread is to get everybody thinking about moving out of the room instead of hhanging out up there like has been happening lately.

That is all :D

Crash
03-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Is the start time something that could be discussed at a meeting and then perhaps motions made to change the start time or is it a constitutional amendment that 7:30 is THE meeting start time?

Again, we will not change the meeting start time or duration. This thread is to get everybody thinking about moving out of the room instead of hhanging out up there like has been happening lately.

That is all :D

sleeoffroad
03-17-2008, 07:30 PM
I am only asking since it seems most people work to 5 or 5:30 and then have at least an hour and a half to still make a 7pm meeting. I for one would like to see it moved up. As Steve pointed out, can this be discussed at the next meeting? I know it messes with UB's margarita time, but it also means we can be done 30 mins earlier, so more time afterwards for some :beer:

Romer
03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Anything can be brought up for discussion at the meeting as long as we are out of there by 8:59PM

zornff
03-19-2008, 01:43 PM
How about a meeting @ CM'08 so some of us that are 5 1/2 hours away could actually attend and then be ABLE to join. I've thrown the ? out before cuz there is no way i can get to Denver from Pagosa Springs for a tuesday night meeting. Just a thought, but i would love to join you're club. Anyway, looking forward to CM'08, my 4th in a row and still my favorite. BTW,:Princess: and i are going to Rubithon leaving 6/14. I saw that you guys have you're own run planned and was wondering if you still have room on you're run ?:cheers: Mike

Romer
03-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Mike,
Post up in the Rubi thread. Uncle Ben is our Trail leader, but I'm sure we would be happy to have you.

I will think about your other request.

Uncle Ben
03-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Mike,
Post up in the Rubi thread. Uncle Ben is our Trail leader, but I'm sure we would be happy to have you.

I will think about your other request.

I'm OK with you joining the Rubi run....any objections?

Romer
03-19-2008, 02:02 PM
No Objections to him joining our Rubithon group

Rzeppa
03-19-2008, 08:13 PM

From a former Commander to the current Commander, I suggest you have to sometimes be firm when people have the floor and keep things moving along. You're in charge and sometimes you have to put your foot down! Don't lose focus of the purpose of the meeting, which is to conduct club business. While the main reason for the club is to have fun and enjoy each other's company, we do have to get the business done, and can't do that if we antagonize our host and don't have a place to meet. My meetings seldom lasted more than an hour, with exceptions when I had guest speakers. Even with guest speakers, we were always out the door well before nine PM.

Occasionally I had to ask that whoever had the floor to please wrap things up. I also met with my officers by phone a day or two prior to the meeting and discussed their report beforehand. Each officer (including myself in my Commander's comments) got no more than 2-4 minutes each. With seven officers, that's 14-28 minutes right there. Introductions normally take 7-10 minutes at a 50 person meeting (approx 30 seconds each). Planning prior to my meetings was key to keeping them relatively brief. The above leaves anywhere from 22-39 minutes (yes I used to time each segment) for the core, leaving 39 to 12 minutes for old business, new business, Tech Q&A and raffle. That leaves up to a half hour for guest speaker, and yes I used to keep them to their limit too.

It is a very difficult line to draw between making meeting fun and mutually participatory, and keeping totally on club business.

Commanding Rising Sun is a tough job, and you've been doing an admirable job, Ken. Keep up the great work!

treerootCO
04-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Friendly reminder....we need to be outside by 8:55 or earlier:thumb:

subzali
04-02-2008, 03:30 PM
We can definitely do the raffle from outside if we want/have to!