PDA

View Full Version : Toyota PTO Winch

MDH33
03-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know how to determine if the PTO drive gear box that bolts to the TC is 3 speed or 4 speed specific? I picked up a PTO last fall and I'm trying to determine exactly what it is. I think I read that a PTO that came off of a 3 speed TC cannot be used on a 4 speed TC but I cannot recall what is different.

I'll try post some pics of the gear box tonight. Thanks.

SteveH
03-19-2008, 11:19 AM
From what I understand and have seen, the PTO box is the same. I guess one way surely know would be to compare the xfer case block-off plates on a 3 speed xfer vs. a 4 speed xfer - if the bolt pattern is the same, then the PTO should bolt up. I'm pretty sure the PTO box on my '80 xfer case is from a 3-speed era truck, but I have no positive way of knowing. I've never seen a breakdown showing 'early' or 'late' PTO gearboxes, if there even is such a distinction.

Most 4 speed xfer cases have the spacer, rather than the PTO gear, so in that respect, a PTO box can simply be 'bolted on', until you add the gear to the xfer case.

MDH33
03-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info Steve. So is there no difference in the gears within the PTO box? Makes me think that the PTO gear for a 4 speed would have the same gearing (teeth) as a 3 speed PTO gear, but the connection to the shaft from the transmission would be different?

I'm still confused. :confused::o:D

nuclearlemon
03-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the info Steve. So is there no difference in the gears within the PTO box? Makes me think that the PTO gear for a 4 speed would have the same gearing (teeth) as a 3 speed PTO gear, but the connection to the shaft from the transmission would be different?

I'm still confused. :confused::o:D

correct. the output shaft on the tranny is a different spline.

art hog
03-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I belive I have both a 3spd and 4 spd gear if you need one.

MDH33
03-20-2008, 02:16 PM
correct. the output shaft on the tranny is a different spline.

Cool, thank you for clarifying this everyone! I was being deluded as usual.

I belive I have both a 3spd and 4 spd gear if you need one.

Terry, I'm going to hunt for a 4 speed trans and TC, so if it doesn't have the PTO gear, I'll definitely take you up. Let me know what you'll need $ for the 4 speed gear.

PabloCruise
03-24-2008, 09:39 AM
I believe the bolt pattern for PTO or cover plate is different btwn 3 spd and 4

MDH33
03-24-2008, 10:12 AM
I believe the bolt pattern for PTO or cover plate is different btwn 3 spd and 4

I had heard this also, but i think that it is the4 speed split Transfer case from '80 and later(?) that has the different bolt pattern. I thought that the 74-79 TC should work? I'll look for pics. :thumb:

SteveH
03-24-2008, 11:46 AM
I checked with Rob Grimes here in the Springs and he says the 3 and 4 speed PTO cover plate patterns are the same. I tend to believe him on this, based on his experience. The split-case '81 and later pattern is different.

Rzeppa
03-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Yes the plate bolt pattern is the same for "solid" t-cases from first hand experience. The gear will have different internal splines of course between 3 and 4 speed applications, but I'll bet the outer diameter and teeth are the same!

If anyone needs one, I have an extra 3 speed PTO gear.