PDA

View Full Version : OBA Setup

Shark Bait
03-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Here are some pics of my OBA setup. I'll take a few more tomorrow. :D

Hulk
03-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Man, that's so clean. Cool switch panel on the dash!

60wag
03-20-2008, 06:02 AM
So what's the belt problem?

That looks great but the unlabeled switches would drive me nuts.

Shark Bait
03-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks. Ryan Hartman (Dave's son) did the work. He used to work at High Country 4x4.

The belt is narrower than stock. It's only running the alternator and the compressor Not sure if there is a wider pulley for the York.

Uncle Ben
03-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Nice clean install but way less than ideal belt contact on the compressor! Rule of thumb is you want at the absolute minimum 1/3 of the pulley to be in contact with the belt!

Shark Bait
03-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Nice clean install but way less than ideal belt contact on the compressor! Rule of thumb is you want at the absolute minimum 1/3 of the pulley to be in contact with the belt!

It's Mudrak's bracket. Not mine. :D I'm probably more worried I'm driving the alternator OK. That's why I was wondering if there is a wider groove pulley for the York. :confused:

Shark Bait
03-20-2008, 08:03 AM
That looks great but the unlabeled switches would drive me nuts.

Green is for Aux lights, Red is the compressor, the first Blue is front, second is rear locker. I may see if I can find some letters I can stick on there.

nakman
03-20-2008, 08:21 AM
What kind of air hose are you running beneath that loom?

Convert
03-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Looks good Chris. :thumb: I had issues with low quality air hose kept getting hot and rupturing near the connection to the compressor. Not saying you used cheap air hose just pointing out what I discovered on my install

Shark Bait
03-20-2008, 08:42 AM
I'll take a picture of the hose later.

AxleIke
03-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Looks AWESOME Chris. Very nice switch panel, and really cool ARB set up. Gotta love the engine driven compressor.

Sweet action man!

Hulk
03-20-2008, 10:00 AM
It's Mudrak's bracket. Not mine. :D I'm probably more worried I'm driving the alternator OK. That's why I was wondering if there is a wider groove pulley for the York. :confused:

Jim Sanville found a pulley from a Volvo with a wider groove when he upgraded my PS pump. Don't know if this would work.

Uncle Ben
03-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Jim Sanville found a pulley from a Volvo with a wider groove when he upgraded my PS pump. Don't know if this would work.

An adjustable idler would work well on that set up to get more belt wrap and good auto electric shops can machine or even source a narrower alt pulley.

nuclearlemon
03-20-2008, 01:25 PM
all a good shop will need to know is that it's a york style compressor, how many grooves you need and how many wires (one or two wire) from there, they should be able to show you the selection of clutches available for it. clutches are pricey though

nakman
03-20-2008, 01:36 PM
all a good shop will need to know is that it's a york style compressor, how many grooves you need and how many wires (one or two wire) from there, they should be able to show you the selection of clutches available for it. clutches are pricey though

Wait, you need a clutch? I must have 2 or 3 of them sitting around..

and x2 on what Dan said about cheap hose, I thought the stuff from Lowes was going to cut it but I was only able to air up once before it got too hot & expanded. In fact, a year later and I'm still in the same boat...:rolleyes:

Rezarf
03-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Chris-

Can you eleborate on the little ashtray panel?

Really cool looking.

Drew

nuclearlemon
03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
and x2 on what Dan said about cheap hose, I thought the stuff from Lowes was going to cut it but I was only able to air up once before it got too hot & expanded. In fact, a year later and I'm still in the same boat...:rolleyes:

measure the hose, take the ends down to e & g terminal, have them make you a good quality crimped line. interstate turbo can also build lines.

Shark Bait
03-21-2008, 12:05 AM
As promised, more pics. Here's the hose I'm using, the check valve and coalescing filter, the storage tank, the rear air chuck and the front chuck.

Shark Bait
03-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Oh yeah, while I was under there tonight replacing the speedo gear housing with a double seal version from Mudrak I took a picture of the cool skid plate Jim at SROR built for me. :D

Shark Bait
03-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Can you eleborate on the little ashtray panel?

Really cool looking.

Thanks Drew. It's custom. I figured I'd just flick my cigar ash over the side. :D Ryan cut the plate to fit. The switches light up when they are on. I'll see if I can find the receipt and let you know where he got them.

Between the compressor and the storage tank, I'm set. Ryan tested locking and un-locking the diffs 40 times with the storage tank full and the compressor never kicked in. After bleeding the tank a little with a nozzle it only took under a minute to pump the tank back up. I'm stoked.

nakman
03-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Real nice stuff, Chris, looks great.