PDA

View Full Version : Zirc fitting

Romer
03-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Unless I take the shaft off, I can't reach the Zirc on the front U joint of the rear shaft,. I have tried various grease gun fittings and no joy.

I want to replace the zirc with one thats angles so I can get a fitting on it. Will a standard one from NAPA work or is this metric and a specific thread type?

corsair23
03-20-2008, 11:34 PM
No help on the zirc but did you try the needle injector I mentioned over in the MUD thread awhile back? I'm curious to know if it was a complete bust or?? I bought one but I haven't had a chance to use it. For whatever reason I was able to get to that zirc this last time around. I figure my rear springs have settled a bit, decreasing the angle on the drive shaft.

I wonder, could you load up the rear end with enough weight to compress your springs enough to be able to get to that zirc? Maybe hook up the popup real quick?

Uncle Ben
03-21-2008, 12:03 AM
No help on the zirc but did you try the needle injector I mentioned over in the MUD thread awhile back? I'm curious to know if it was a complete bust or?? I bought one but I haven't had a chance to use it. For whatever reason I was able to get to that zirc this last time around. I figure my rear springs have settled a bit, decreasing the angle on the drive shaft.

I wonder, could you load up the rear end with enough weight to compress your springs enough to be able to get to that zirc? Maybe hook up the popup real quick?

It would take maybe what.....10 minutes to unbolt one end of the drive shaft and rotate it to where you can get to the zerk? :confused:

DaveInDenver
03-21-2008, 08:12 AM
It would take maybe what.....10 minutes to unbolt one end of the drive shaft and rotate it to where you can get to the zerk? :confused:
Maybe the Zerk is tough to get at through the u-joint yoke? Otherwise I'm sorta confused, too.

I just block the front wheels, put the tranny in neutral and jack up one wheel in the back so I can spin the propeller shaft. It's actually kinda nice, I can spin the propeller shaft with my foot by pushing the tire. Front, well having old fashioned manual hub locks and part time case is really nice. :-)

Romer
03-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks, I have tried the needle nose, I have jacked the rear end up with the truck in Nuetral so I can move the shaft while I am in there. The closest I get is using a 90 degree fitting and it does not slide on fully to work. maybe its the way it was rebuilt but you can't get to the fitting because of the yoke.

I can take the shaft of and thats not a big deal, just while its off thought it would be good to change the zirc so I don't have to take it off next time

So back to my question.

Red_Chili
03-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Call Burt and ask Scott Rill how they do it. I doubt they remove anything. Time is money. Scott is a super nice guy, extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and therefore in high demand so you may have to wait for a return call. Tell him Bill Morgan sent you and you will only have to wait an additional half hour or so.
:D

Romer
03-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Trust me, there is no way to grease this zirc while it is on the vehicle, Robbie said try the needle fitting and the angle with the yoke is just so that I can't get it in da hole.. I will be pulling the shaft to grease it this weekend. I would like to replace the zirc while I am there.

The zirc's curent position is a result of the rebuilt I had done.

SteveH
03-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Zirks are sold in metric and SAE, but I'll bet many times an SAE gets screwed forceably into a metric hole. I have installed u-joints 'backwards' such that they are ungreaseable.
I felt like a total moron after I saw what I did.

The only solution is to remove and reinstall the u-joint. On my '66 Mustang, since it saw few road miles and no severe duty, I just left it. On a 'cruiser you 'wheel, you might want to re-orient it so that it can easily be greased. I see Metric zirks sold at chain auto parts stores, so they aren't hard to find.

Romer
03-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks Steve, If I snatlled one of thos right angle Zirc, I could grease it.

mtncrsr
03-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Unless I take the shaft off, I can't reach the Zirc on the front U joint of the rear shaft,. I have tried various grease gun fittings and no joy.

I want to replace the zirc with one thats angles so I can get a fitting on it. Will a standard one from NAPA work or is this metric and a specific thread type?

I had the same problem on my driveshaft. I finally found a metric thread angled zirc at either NAPA or I think ACE hardware. You might want to give it a try.:o

Romer
03-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the confirmation on metric thread, I'll try NAPA

Romer
03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
This thread has been chuckling me all day

Ken : I can't get to the zirc and need to replace it, are these metric? .
Jeff: Let me tell you how to get to the zirc:confused:
Kevin: There is a better way Jeff
Ken: No really I need to replace the Zirc
Dave: Let me tell you how to get to the Zirc:confused:
Ken: I have tried that. I just need to replace the Zirc
Bill: Why don't you call X and he will tell you how to get to the Zirc:confused:
Ken: Trust me , I just need to replace the Zirc

Steve : Yes they are Metric:thumb:
mtncruiser: Had the same probelem and replaced it with one from . . .:thumb:

DaveInDenver
03-21-2008, 04:23 PM
What? You asked the wrong question and we just gave you answers to the right one.

corsair23
03-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Now you know how Corbet felt when he asked about sliders :lol:

I was really just more interested in knowing if you tried that needle deal and prefaced my response so...But, you know what they say about opinions :hill:

Romer
03-21-2008, 10:53 PM
What? You asked the wrong question and we just gave you answers to the right one.

No you gave me the answer to the wrong one.

The right one would have been

You should check to see if your Zircs are just plugged and make sure you replace them with 6mm

I could not find a right angle at 6, but but I couldn't even put grease in with the shaft removed so I replaced the zircs on both U joints and it seems ok. I did not try and fill the front again after I got it back on. The right angle would slide on, but not all the way. So I may still need to find a right angle or just pull the shaft every time.

I'm good through the summer though. Needed to get it greased prior to this summers events:D

Tch2fly
03-22-2008, 10:32 AM
This thread has been chuckling me all day

Believe me, Ken nobody has been laughing harder then I have, you see ....

I have exactly the same problem and since I never saw anyone post about it I assumed that I was a big dummy. In quiet shame I always pulled the shaft to grease the front joint.:hill:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Thank you for posting:thumb:

Rzeppa
03-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks Steve, If I snatlled one of thos right angle Zirc, I could grease it.
Steve is right; by your description the u-joint was installed wrong (like they did for me at Englewood Driveshaft :-(

I have assortments of both metric and SAE zircs and can't remember which fits cruiser - cruisers do have SAE fittings. Examples include national pipe threads on oil and cooling lines on engines.

Romer
03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Hmmm, I went to Englewood Drive Shafts.

Thanks Jeff

Jacket
05-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Ken - Did you ever find a metric zirc locally? I broke one off of my shackle this weekend. I tried a 1/4" replacement (from Ace), but it didn't fit. I'm thinking its M6, but Ace didn't have any metric fittings.

Rzeppa
05-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Matt - my offer stands for you, too. I already have assorted metric zerks. If you can wait until next meeting, I'll be happy to hook you up.

Romer
05-19-2008, 06:16 PM
It was a 6M zirc and I got it at pep boys. I replaced it with another straight one because I could not find a 90 degree locally

It was a metric set that had several sizes in it

Jacket
05-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys.

Jeff - If I haven't picked up any by the time June rolls around, I'll take you up on your offer. But I suspect I'll need a few spares on hand anyway, as it took no effort at all to snap the first one.....

Hulk
06-12-2008, 12:28 AM
So Ken, did you get the Zirc grease fitting put together so you don't have to pull one end of the drive shaft to lube the u-joint? I just did this last night -- what a PITA.

Romer
06-12-2008, 03:31 PM
No, Couldn't find a right angle at the right size and pulled the shaft. Turns out the zirc was plugged so I replaced it. Not sure how much the plugged zirc contributed.

nakman
06-12-2008, 04:10 PM
heh, heh.. he pulled the shaft... :lmao: :bolt:

Hey Matt do you have the special needle deal for the DC shaft?

Hulk
06-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey Matt do you have the special needle deal for the DC shaft?

Ummm, what? I guess the answer is no. :(

Hulk
04-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Bump. Needle?