PDA

View Full Version : d'oh

nuclearlemon
03-24-2008, 09:55 AM
yesterday, after cleaning house and doing laundry, i hit the garage to get some projects done on the pig. first, i started torching out some 1/4 steel to make a mounting plate for my roller fairlead so it would fit the "universal" mounting bracket.

while that cooled, i pulled the dash apart and figured out why the rear window switch doesn't work. the solder is gone and needs to be resoldered. so i dug through every drawer in my box looking for my little soldering iron...can't find it anywhere. next break out the ancient weller to find it doesn't have enough life left to get hot enough to melt the solder. so, rob one from the pickle for now. presto...rear window works from the dash switch.

when i put the led in the dome light, i never bent the tabs correctly so on hard bumps, it would fall out, so break out some small pliers and bend those correctly...now, dome light no longer works...spend a half an hour figuring out that i have the led in backwards...d'oh.

while the dash was apart, i figured i'd swap the radio with the ford since the pioneer didn't have a user friendly remote nor a jack for my ipod. i'd tried in the past to get it to pull out with the multiple stereo tools and never could, but now i could see how it locked in place. got it out and pulled the sony from the ford, then tested the pioneer in the sony's mounting sleeve...won't lock in place. so, fight with small picks to get the mounting tabs all bent out, slide the sleeve out, try it again...works with the pioneer. now have to bend everything flat, put it back in and rebend the tabs to lock it.

since the pig doesn't have the standard radio colorcoding, i decide to swap the plugs on the 55 first. one wire at a time, i cut and crimp. get it all done and go to plug in the sony only to realize i just crimped the pioneer harness back on :doh: cut and crimp all over again.

back to the fairlead bracket...get it all ground down and looking good, all that's left is to drill the mounting bolts. as i'm marking the bolts, i realize the winch sits to close to the front of the plate...there's no way it can be bolted on. all i needed to do was weld the fairlead directly to the "universal" bracket...i don't even need the bracket i just spent a large portion of the day making :rolleyes:

subzali
03-24-2008, 10:51 AM
:doh: :D

Sounds like a productive day nonetheless :cheers:

I had a pretty fun day Friday, I'll post up more details once I get pictures :D

nakman
03-24-2008, 10:53 AM
I believe the last I saw your soldering iron was around the center of your work bench near your vice, stuffed down underneath somewhere. Either there or in the bottom of your toolbox next to that one crappy grinder. hth.. :)

RockRunner
03-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Tiem to sit down, relax, take a drink and shout ...............What the )*$&(^ is going on.

Hulk
03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
I've had a lot of those days lately.

corsair23
03-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Ige, are you my sister? That sounds so much like stuff I would do or have happen to me :hill:

Keep at it 'cuz at least you're making progress :thumb:

nuclearlemon
03-24-2008, 06:27 PM
yep, i'm actually pretty happy with the fact that i got a few things done. course, my list is still huge and i'll be less about four weekend days for an extra job and i have the state meeting in montrose the weekend beforehand.

rear main seal
move rear shackle hangers
install tie down points in the back
reshim front end
install powertank
install hitch
install brake controller
wire rig for seven way
cb (may not happen...no place to put it)
test winch
fix door lock
install and air cleaner that might actually let the 4barrel breathe

was hoping to get power steering in and overhead console to mount radios and gps...those probably won't happen

nuclearlemon
03-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Ige, are you my sister? That sounds so much like stuff I would do or have happen to me :hill:

:

do you often spends hours looking for the wrench you just had? :rolleyes:

nuclearlemon
03-25-2008, 09:04 PM
got quite a bit done tonight after work. fixed a blown fuse (even put in one of the proper rating:rolleyes:), got new 2 1/2 degree shims in front (hopefully this will be the fix. one side now shows +1 degree...the other showed - 1/2, but i've had a few problems getting good readings off my cheap gauge. i'll check it again tomorrow after i've driven it and gotten the suspension to settle. then, lopped off the old crappy battery terminals and soldered on new eyelets to marine terminals. cruisin' right along.:thumb:

corsair23
03-26-2008, 02:07 AM
do you often spends hours looking for the wrench you just had? :rolleyes:

Yep :hill:

As a matter of fact, I'm STILL looking for the 3/8" socket drive I used last year when I replaced the front brakes on the 80 :o...Something tells me it might have gone for a "test drive" on the running board and decided to run away from home :rant:

Red_Chili
03-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Anybody seen my 8mm open/box combo wrench?

It was just here...