PDA

View Full Version : Ran into "Chief" today

Rock Dog
03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I went to do an emission test on the 4runner today, and ran into "Chief" (Ron) who is now working at the emission testing facility on Colorado Blvd jsut south of County Line Road.

For those that do not know Chief, he was one of th Old timers in the Club way back when i first started..... He had to fold his appraisal business, and has been just working away since his wife passed 2 years ago.

He aslo told me Frank Stickler is going to be a grandfather soon...

He still has his old pickup, and may get it out to go play sometime.... It was good to run into him. If you need a test, stop by an say hi to him!

Oh by the way, even though my running burns over a quart of oil with every fillup, and it sounds like the bottom end will let go, it still passed emissions REALLY CLEAN....:D

Red_Chili
03-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Chief was really helpful in teaching me to do ring and pinion setup. My son is still running that third.

RockRunner
03-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I nearly bought Chief's old blue truck years and years ago. He was still with the club when I joined also years ago. Glad to hear he is still doing OK.

Red_Chili
03-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh by the way, even though my running burns over a quart of oil with every fillup, and it sounds like the bottom end will let go, it still passed emissions REALLY CLEAN....:D
It would pass even cleaner with a 5VZ-FE under that pretty gold hood.

C'mon.

You know you want one.

You'll never go back to cruisers... :bolt:

Rock Dog
03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
With a 40, 80, and the Runner i will definately have some choices of rig depending on the trail ;);)

I keep thinking i should get rid of one, but i simply cannot part with any of them..... Maybe the Grand Prix will find a new home..

Red_Chili
03-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Oh, at LEAST!

BTW, I hear grease goes a long way to silencing squeaks. :lmao:

Rock Dog
03-25-2008, 05:51 PM
I have the greesable shackle pins, but cannot get the old out to do the replacement. It is like they are now "one with the orbit eye" ball and socket....

I just turn up the radio a bit more.. It is kinds fun to Watch Iggy cringe whenever i drive it :lmao:

Red_Chili
03-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Ve haf vays to make zem comundzee out... bwahahahaha....

And you paid MORE for this feature. No worries, BTDT.

Shark Bait
03-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Glad to hear Chief is still around. :thumb:

rover67
03-26-2008, 12:33 PM
i went to the testing station in broomfield and they want me to meet with an inspector to check out my truck.... they didn't like the 2006 FUEL INJECTED v-8 at all. maybe i should visit this cheif you all speak of..

the damn thing runs cleaner than any carburated 60 i've ever tried to tune.. don't really see what the big deal is :o(

My tags are up in 6 months so maybe i'll just have to stay a TN resident...

Red_Chili
03-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Naw, you go to the state health dept., they just do an initial inspection on a motor swap, make sure the OBDII is fully functional, do an initial exhaust gas test, and write a letter of approval that you keep with you so next time you get an emissions inspection you can go anywhere and you have the letter of approval.

The state head inspector is a very competent mechanic and does hot rod custom fiberglass work. Cool guy. Very different from most of the Envirotest folks, Chief excepted.

DaveInDenver
03-26-2008, 02:14 PM
...initial inspection on a motor swap, make sure the OBDII is fully functional...
So if you swap in a OBD-II motor into a pre-OBD-II truck, you still have to have OBD-II? Not to say it's not to your advantage, but I figured that if I put in, say, a 1KZ-TE or 5VZ-FE into my truck I still would not have to do the plugged-into-the-OBD-II-tester test, but just the tailpipe sniffer and dyno dealie. Although the 1KZ might be a whole 'nuther can of worms being diesel and all.

Red_Chili
03-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Can't go gas to diesel in the front range. Increase in emissions. Too bad too, the Chili would have been unbelievably cool as a turbodiesel. I probably would have had to upgrade the drivetrain though, depending on the donor. :lmao:
The emissions control level is whatever motor ends up in the truck.
For instance, the Red Chili is now a 1996 Toyota 4Runner for all intents and purposes, from an emissions standpoint.
And yes, OBDII is waaaay better from an efficiency standpoint, and it cleans up the air to boot. If I had gone with a 2002 motor, it would be even better. The ECM is smarter.

I have no idea what the 4Runner will be when it qualifies for collectors plates. Maybe that won't be till 2021 now. :lmao:

DaveInDenver
03-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Gotcha. So since I just did the motor in my truck at this point it makes sense to drive it as is for another 8 years, get the classic plates and then think about a motor swap. Didn't know you couldn't do a diesel swap, good thing I didn't buy that 2L-TE half cut off eBay, then... Seriously.

Red_Chili
03-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah, you'll have to buy a 55 and go Cummins I guess...

Mendocino
03-26-2008, 03:11 PM
What if you have a gas to diesel conversion that was licensed in Cheyenne for example and you move to Denver? There must be some provision for these cases, right?:confused:

DaveInDenver
03-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah, you'll have to buy a 55 and go Cummins I guess...
What I'm thinking is seeing how I've used up about 4% of the expected life of my new 22R-E in the past 10 months, I should be able to limp it along until 2016 when Imelda hits the ripe old age of 25 years. Between now and then I could finish getting a shop built (i.e., 240VAC, welder, power tools and expanded floor space) and start collecting parts for a 1KZ swap. Heck, by then Toyota will probably be offering diesel Tacomas that could be donors.

nuclearlemon
03-26-2008, 04:33 PM
What if you have a gas to diesel conversion that was licensed in Cheyenne for example and you move to Denver? There must be some provision for these cases, right?:confused:
what year vehicle? you will still have to do emissions test, but if it's pre 76, you won't have to have it inpsected first. if post 76, it will have to be inspected. if you were in state, say kremmling and moved to denver, you just get your collector plates in kremmling and you're set when you move to denver.

subzali
03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Dave, in 2016 you will be able to import any and all diesel hiluxes you want up to the ripe old age of the 1991 model year - and then you don't have to go to all the work of the gas/diesel swap. I'm sure there's LHD Hiluxes out there too.

Red_Chili
03-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Not to mention, you are betting that Colorado emissions laws will remain the same in 2016 as they are now. Not a safe bet. We are likely to be as tight as CARB.

DaveInDenver
03-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Not to mention, you are betting that Colorado emissions laws will remain the same in 2016 as they are now. Not a safe bet. We are likely to be as tight as CARB.
Are you saying that we're getting rid of the 25-year exception? That would stink, I'm sure a lot of people would be upset by that.

Never really been to CA, but I understand that CARB is a PITA but it's possible to work within the system. Engine swaps are not illegal there. Seems the biggest obstacle is that you have to stay within your vehicle classification. Can't be putting an aluminum LS3 from a Corvette into a light truck, since the engine is not approved by CARB for use in anything other than cars.

Here's one guy's tricks for CARB.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_V-8_Smog.html

Red_Chili
03-27-2008, 09:48 AM
That would definitely stink, but there are those who see it as a way to push people into newer technologies. Here's to hoping they fail! :beer:

DaveInDenver
03-27-2008, 10:00 AM
That would definitely stink, but there are those who see it as a way to push people into newer technologies. Here's to hoping they fail! :beer:
Yeah, like the Toyota A-BAT? I'll keep my junk if it's all the same. :-/ Why does different have to mean ugly and full of petroleum wasting plastic?

http://images.motortrend.com/future/concepts/112_0712_01z+toyota_a_BAT_concept_truck+front_three_quarter_view.jpg

Hulk
03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, like the Toyota A-BAT? I'll keep my junk if it's all the same. :-/ Why does different have to mean ugly and full of petroleum wasting plastic?

Damn that thing is ugly. :tongue2:

Red_Chili
03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Kinda looks like a morphed Tundra nose.

I dunno, I could work with it. If it had a frame.

DaveInDenver
03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
If it had a frame.
Are you kidding, fuel economy dictates lighter weight and cab-on-frame construction is for old dinosaurs who want a truck with some beef. Betcha it's based on the AWD Camry.

corsair23
03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Betcha it's based on the AWD Camry.

I'd have to go back and look (was in a past issue of Autoweek) but I remember seeing that and reading the snipit on it. What I do remember reading is the word "Prius" was mentioned in the writeup...

rover67
03-27-2008, 07:07 PM
yep. problemo is that i have no evap or rear o2 sensors hooked up. they have also been "deleted" from the computer (which basically means codes turned off) i am scared they are gonna make me put that crap all back on there. poo.

maybe i need to just move to the mountians and forget about it.

Red_Chili
03-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Are you kidding, fuel economy dictates lighter weight and cab-on-frame construction is for old dinosaurs who want a truck with some beef. Betcha it's based on the AWD Camry.
Exactly. **IF** it had a frame.

DaveInDenver
03-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Exactly. **IF** it had a frame.
I think you'd adapt and overcome...