PDA

View Full Version : my neighborhood....

timmbuck2
03-29-2008, 11:35 AM
OK, my neighborhood should be great......but you know my alley problems...and this morning woke up to see someone had sideswiped my 80 last night...side mirror is broken backwards, the mirror 20 feet away from the truck...both fender flares pretty scratched up...a few other scratches, but luckily no dents anywhere. I got home at 2am...someone just flies down my street, hits my truck, and keeps going?! WHat if I had been standing there? :mad: :rant: Oh well...rant off...

T

timmbuck2
03-29-2008, 01:10 PM
and the news just gets better...get in the truck and drive away and notice the steering wheel is pointing 45 degrees to the right while I am going perfectly straight. sigh. limited turning radius to left, and a lot of play in the steering. had to go down santa fe to rent a tile saw for the kitchen and it handled 60 mph ok...but had to go ahead and file an insurance claim. I think I will take a bike ride this weekend and look for light colored trucks or SUV's with damage on the passenger side, Luckily the sliders kept the damage away from the doors. Good welding John!!! :)

T

Shark Bait
03-29-2008, 05:55 PM
That's a real bummer, Tim. Sounds like it's time to move. :eek:

corsair23
03-29-2008, 10:28 PM
So how did your steering get all bunked up with minimal body damage :confused:

Talk about a total bummer...

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-30-2008, 08:23 AM
sounds like you live in lakewood :eek:

my wifes uncle had his pick up hit three times as it sat in front of his house, parked up off on where a sidewalk would be :eek:

the third time it was plowed into from the back,pushed the truck into the car in front of it and that car was sent across the street into another car.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE PLEASE.

and sorry to hear about your 80.

Uncle Ben
03-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Timm,
I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune! Hopefully insurance will step up as it should be covered by Homeowners coverage. Good luck with finding the asshats and if you would like someone with you when you go have a "talk" with them, give me a shout!

nakman
03-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh man, that really blows... sorry Timm. when's the moving party? get on up to the hills already..

RockRunner
03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
That sucks bigtime, I hope the insurance comp. takes care of you without to much hastle.

Is the alley the only place for you to park?

RicardoJM
03-30-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that. Seems the street is plenty wide enough for vehicles to be parked on both sides and there should still be plenty of room for others to travel safely. That is a real bummer to have to deal with.

decided advantage
03-30-2008, 01:14 PM
A good chance the dawg went home with some wounds of their own.

Keep your eyes peeled and make the report now, so when you spot the hit and run artist the subject is already on law enforcements radar.

Any new color on your flares or mirror?

timmbuck2
03-30-2008, 05:03 PM
So how did your steering get all bunked up with minimal body damage :confused:

Talk about a total bummer...

Looks like my wheels were pointed to the left...and the asshat hit the drivers wheel pretty good. She tracks fine at 70mph, but the steering wheel points 45 degrees to the right...

A good chance the dawg went home with some wounds of their own.

Keep your eyes peeled and make the report now, so when you spot the hit and run artist the subject is already on law enforcements radar.

Any new color on your flares or mirror?

I do need to file a police report, and I have been walking and biking around the neighborhood looking for trucks or SUV's with passenger side damage. Looks like white or light colors on my fender flares and sliders...

Thanks everyone...

T

Uncle Ben
03-30-2008, 05:25 PM
My guess is because your steering lock prevented the steering wheel from moving it either bent/twisted a shaft badly or jammed trashed the steering box gears. Someone needs to have some consequences 4 sure! :mad:

Hulk
03-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Dude, that sucks. Sounds like you might want to relocate!

timmbuck2
04-01-2008, 05:20 PM
So....insurance guy came today from State Farm...very cool older guy who is into cars and cycles as much or more than us. Talked cars and cruisers the whole time. He wrote up over $2100 in cosmetic damage...including a new wheel and painting the sliders. :) Then I went put tp Slee to get an estimate on the mechanical damage...the steering box ALONE was $2500!! So...over $5k damage to a truck worth less than $10k.........wonder what that means??

ALL from a drunk moron.....sigh...

T

corsair23
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
He wrote up over $2100 in cosmetic damage...including a new wheel and painting the sliders. :) Then I went put tp Slee to get an estimate on the mechanical damage...the steering box ALONE was $2500!! So...over $5k damage to a truck worth less than $10k.........wonder what that means??

It means let the LX buggy build BEGIN :hill:

Seriously though, if you are "interested" in say removing the LX molding and lining the sides now is the time to do it, just ask Hants :D Then take the rest of the $$ you save to buy your lift from Matt and other goodies :thumb:.

Red_Chili
04-02-2008, 07:15 AM
If you do the bulk of the work yourself, you just funded some build. Seriously. And legitimately, you are not scamming the insurance company. Mine is fine with me doing part of the work to make up the deductible, for instance; yes I asked.

Uncle Ben
04-02-2008, 07:43 AM
It means let the LX buggy build BEGIN :hill:

Seriously though, if you are "interested" in say removing the LX molding and lining the sides now is the time to do it, just ask Hants :D Then take the rest of the $$ you save to buy your lift from Matt and other goodies :thumb:.

Got Sawsall? :p: ;) :lmao:

timmbuck2
04-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Have not heard back from him yet...but what would it mean if they did decide to total it??

They give me a check and I keep the truck??

Red_Chili
04-02-2008, 10:38 AM
The check will be reduced by the amount of buyback. They kinda like doing that, it saves them trouble and money, but by golly push for as much as you can.

Then you get issued a salvage title, which makes it quite hard to reinsure.

You can get the title cleared by reinspection but I have not done that, so my knowledge ends there.

You are better off not totalling it.

timmbuck2
04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info. He just called and said they usually don't total until 70-80% of the value. They want Slee to put it up on the rack and show them what is damaged. Wonder if it would then be ok to buy a used one from Oleg and have them put that in? I don't want to mess with the steering myself! :)

T

Red_Chili
04-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I have saved money with used parts before, but they usually want to know that and reduce their payment to you afterwards. Sometimes there is no choice but used, however. But you won't save money there most likely. That area gets a bit iffy ethically, just ask them what their rules are. They will likely work with you.

My adjuster from Traveller's was excellent, a good wrench, and understood both Toyotas, mechanics in general, good bodywork, good modifications, and the business processes he had to adhere to and with which I could work.

Steering schmeering. It's all steel. Piece-O-cake. The more DIY, the more mad money you have.

Be sure to put it on a frame rack and check it out.