PDA

View Full Version : More springs and shackles

subzali
03-30-2008, 01:38 PM
After reading Whatley's article in the May/June '06 TT, I have been plotting and planning and the time has finally come to replace my shackles and I thought I would put some of those ideas to good use. I still have to replace my rear springs, but oh well, that'll come...

Check out what I was up against: and BTW when I was taking the front shackles off one of them broke. Also when I had new exhaust put on a couple summers ago I noticed one of my shackles was broken while it was up on the lift - without asking me the guy replaced it and tried to charge me for it - I'm glad I didn't pay him for it - what he used wasn't even a rectangular piece of steel and it wasn't drilled straight. But at any rate the front spring pins were small enough diameter that they egged out the bushings as you see - and that's the other thing, when he "replaced" the shackle plate we would have had to see that they were toast but he failed to mention that to me :rolleyes:

Anyway needless to say my truck rides a lot better :hill: and I'm sure happy with the 3/8" plate and the 5/8" bolts (tacked to the side plates to prevent them from rotating) holding it all together. Thanks again to John Henley for schooling me in the ways of metal working and helping me get this project done! :thumb:

nakman
03-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Must feel good to have that junk off of there.. nice work, Matt. :thumb:

Rezarf
03-30-2008, 09:53 PM
WOW! :eek:

Glad you caught it, before it caught you! :D

subzali
03-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Oh yeah and the front spring pins scared me, as the bushings are about 5/8" diameter ID, and the pins were like 7/16" OD :eek: (part of the reason they wallered out so bad I suppose)

bskey
03-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Hmmm..... tacking the bolts in place... hadn't heard of that. Can you describe the benefit?

Shark Bait
03-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Cool. What's the "new" look like? :D

subzali
03-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Hmmm..... tacking the bolts in place... hadn't heard of that. Can you describe the benefit?

See the bolts and side plates, how they are worn down? Tacking the bolts to the side plates prevents them from rotating against each other and forces the bolts to rotate inside the bushings, as they are designed to do. The OEM configuration is a splined shoulder bolt with matching splines in the side plates, I'm pretty sure this is the next best thing :D There is a greater amount of surface area between the bolt and the bushing than there is between the bolt and the side plate, so the pressure is greatly reduced. And with no more metal-to-metal contact, there is no more rattling coming from my front end when I hit bumps :D

And Chris those bushings worked great, do you have any more you would like to get rid of, or may I ask where you got them so I can get some more? I'll try to get pictures soon - I would like to get the "new" rear springs on first, but am having trouble getting the u-bolts to break free. Where do I get new u-bolts BTW? I suppose Toyota still has them, but are there others?

MDH33
03-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Just cut the ubolts off with a grinding wheel. I bought a set of new ones from CCOT awhile back. I have some extra bushings too if you need them. Let me know and I can bring them to the meeting.

RicardoJM
03-31-2008, 08:29 AM
When we replaced the bushings I was looking for u-bolts just in case. They have various sizes at the major parts stores, but only one of them had the right size and then they only had one pair. I expect that if you called and ordered they would have not trouble getting them in. I looked up the size on MUD. I since have picked up a couple of used u-bolts. I can bring them to the meeting Wednesday, you are welcome to them.

subzali
03-31-2008, 08:30 AM
What about nuts? Hey Martin and Ricardo, I will take you up on that. Thanks.

MDH33
03-31-2008, 08:46 AM
What about nuts? Hey Martin and Ricardo, I will take you up on that. Thanks.

The Ubolts I got from CCOT came with the nuts/washers. They are the self cutting type which keeps them tight. I wouldn't use used Ubolts.

Honestly, if I was doing this over, I would buy the Man-A-Fre Ubolt flip kit. :thumb:

nakman
03-31-2008, 10:28 AM
The Ubolts I got from CCOT came with the nuts/washers. They are the self cutting type which keeps them tight. I wouldn't use used Ubolts.

Honestly, if I was doing this over, I would buy the Man-A-Fre Ubolt flip kit. :thumb:

Since you're going to do a spring over in a year, skip the flip kit.. otherwise it's an awesome upgrade for sprung under trucks.

And your favorite 4WP wholesaler has the U-Bolts in stock, you'll probably have to drive out to the one on I-70 though. ~$65, iirc, yes they come with nuts.

Shark Bait
03-31-2008, 10:39 AM
And Chris those bushings worked great, do you have any more you would like to get rid of, or may I ask where you got them so I can get some more? I'll try to get pictures soon - I would like to get the "new" rear springs on first, but am having trouble getting the u-bolts to break free. Where do I get new u-bolts BTW? I suppose Toyota still has them, but are there others?

Hey Matt. I don't remember where I got those bushing. :o You can buy U-bolts at 4WPW or just about any 4x4 parts shop. :D

subzali
03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
I thought they might have metric dimensions for the axle tube that would keep me from using standard ubolts. Nakman, you're letting the cat out of the bag a little too soon, me boy ;)

Rzeppa
03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Nice! Looks darn familiar....BTDT :-)

subzali
04-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry for the delay, but here's pics of how they turned out: front and rear